Start by marking “Orleans” as Want to Read:

Orleans

First came the storms.
Then came the Fever.
And the Wall.

After a string of devastating hurricanes and a severe outbreak of Delta Fever, the Gulf Coast has been quarantined. Years later, residents of the Outer States are under the assumption that life in the Delta is all but extinct… but in reality, a new primitive society has been born.

Fen de la G
Published March 7th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Orleans, please sign up.
Romy I just met her today and asked her this very question. She very nicely replied that this was a stand-alone with no sequel in the works. But that she…moreI just met her today and asked her this very question. She very nicely replied that this was a stand-alone with no sequel in the works. But that she would never say "never." BTW one of the nicest, warm presenters/authors I've every met.(less)

Start your review of Orleans
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Mini review: Excellent world building and no romance.

Full Review:

Given the onslaught of dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction, knowing which authors have simply hopped the trend bandwagon heading to Fametown and which just had a story to tell that happened to fall into the genre can be incredibly difficult. They've all got, more or less, visually arresting covers and a whole lot of marketing to convince you that this one will be the real deal. Well, my friends, Sherri L. Smith has most definitely not writ
Bonnie
'The shape of our great nation has been altered irrevocably by Nature, and now Man must follow suit in order to protect the inalienable rights of the majority, those being the right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, the foremost of those being Life.'

After Hurricane Katrina ripped through the South, six more Hurricanes followed, each more powerful than the last. Hurricane Jesus hit in 2019 and left the South changed irrevocably. Not only did it come bearing death and devastation but a new sick
carol.

Sometimes I'll start a book, set it down, and later come back. That doesn't happen often, and Orleans was not one of those books that leapt the interest divide.

The beginning was promising, with a complex relationship between the female narrator Fen (de la Guerre---really???) and the pregnant leader of her blood-type tribe, Lydia. I found that to be a fascinatingly ambiguous relationship, and learning about how blood types determined alliances was vaguely interesting. However, I started to lose interestGuerre---)
Willow
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think Sherri Smith writes extremely well. She has a beautiful way of describing places that are evocative and visceral. Her half- sunken, swampy ‘Orleans’ is ghoulish and macabre (two things I love). So are the blood thirsty inhabitants of 'Orleans'. Her world is well thought out and very dangerous. When I first got this book, I fell in love with cover, and what’s really cool, Smith’s world is even more vibrant and nuanced than the picture. Smith captures this spooky New Orleans and its people ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Trigger Warning: Rape

Review:

Words like "gritty" and "powerful" are thrown around so frequently, especially in describing the new wave of post-apocalyptic and dystopian fare, that they've lost their significance. But, at the risk of sounding cliche, I will say it because if ever a title deserved these words, it is this book: Orleans is gritty. It is real. And it is powerful.

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina made landfall, killing 971 people. Over the next fifteen years, hurricanes continue to bat/>/>Trigger
Rose
Initial reaction: I'm wholeheartedly thanking the author for writing a proper dystopian society that sounds like an actual dystopian society with harrowing stakes and horrific scenarios. "Orleans" was a great story, and I'll admit it tugged at my heartstrings in moments, though I'll also admit I wished there was a little more to it in some places. Probably going to get a solid 4 stars from me, and hope to explain a bit more about it in the full review.

Full review:

To start my review on Sherri Smit/>Full
ambyr
Dear Fen: Just so you know, you were an awesome protagonist. I am sorry you are stuck in this meandering, grimdark book with incoherent worldbuilding, terrible science, and a cardboard supporting cast. In some alternate universe there is a book all about you and Lydia working together to change your world, and I read it and loved it. Sadly, this review is not being written in that universe.

Dear Daniel: Please shut up and go away.
Tori (InToriLex)
Find this and other Reviews at InToriLex
Jon Guillaume, Funeral March, InToriLex, Book Review, Orleans, Sherri L. Smith

This book showed me the power of a great story, I'm inspired. I started this book unsure what I was getting into it, because a dystopian in a destroyed Orleans, divided by blood, is a mountain for an author to tackle. However after losing myself in the main character Fen, it has more than exceeded my expectations. Fen is a determined protagonist who never stops moving and finds a way to escape death and destruction over and over again. She uses a simple dialect
Melody
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alamw13
I got this book free at ALA.

What we have here is that rarest of creatures, the stand-alone dystopian YA book. Oh, sure, there's room for a sequel, but there doesn't need to be one. It was lovely to reach the end and not have to cry, "Curse you, cliffhanging author, I can't believe you left me hanging here!" And even more lovely, this was a good book with a fresh and well-made world.

Orleans used to be New Orleans, before all the hurricanes. And before the Fever. Now, there's a wall between the
Lectus
Mar 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
This book has so many good reviews that I feel evil for not liking it!

I liked that there's no romance in the story. FINALLY! Not everything has to lead to romance. I was wondering at the beginning, if Fen is like 16 and Daniel is 24, will Smith dare to romance the stone b/w these two? she did not.

I enjoyed Fen's broken English BUT, it made wonder, didn't people speak proper English in Orleans before they were shut off from the world?

Because just about 40 years
Jamila
This is a very dark and poignant book. I love books set in New Orleans, and I think Smith did a wonderful job creating a dystopian-futuristic New Orleans that retains all of the old world beauty and conflicts that make New Orleans so unique. She gave respect to the religions and spirituality, the diversity, the flora and fauna, the death, the crime, the creativity, the intelligence, the hurricanes and the survival.

It could have been longer. More details could have been embellished or
Kaethe Douglas
Orleans - Sherri L. Smith So far I've only read Flygirl and Orleans by Smith, but she is a fabulous writer, regardless of the style, time period, plot, etc. Yes, I'm going to read the rest of her books, she should be getting more recognition than she does. Enjoy, and then be sure to tell everyone you know that you did.Library copy
Kay
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Get that ending away from me.
A.L. Davroe
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first learned about this book when I recruited Sherri as one of my feature Friday authors. As soon as I read the premise for the book, I was intrigued and I was lucky enough to get an advance reading copy from Sherri’s promotional group.

This book is very different from what I’ve been reading lately and honestly, it’s very refreshing.

First off, let me explain the premise. Orleans takes place in a near-future where the delta region of the United States has been continuous
Amy
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of Orleans by Sherri L. Smith. I was quite excited to read it, living in the Greater New Orleans Area and enjoying books set in this region.

Smith does a great job of creating characters throughout this book. Each character is distinct and are developed in such a way that their flaws and their virtues are quite believable. I found many of the elements incorporated into the story quite brilliant, particularly the role that storm Jesus plays in the Delta region and the
Ben Aaronovitch
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-f
I don't do full reviews of books. Partly this is because I don't believe that one's subjective and emotional response to a work of fiction can be explained through a misguided and futile process of deconstruction but mostly it's because I'm too lazy.

So here is my review of Orleans by Sherri L. Smith --- It's bloody brilliant and you should read it. Smith has created a world of terrifying beauty and populated it with characters and stories of such intensity that they will drag you scr
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
Startlingly original, Orleans brings a whole new take on the term "YA dystopian" or more accurately, brings the genre back to where it should be. Instead of focusing on romance and destructive government schemes, Orleans concentrates on world building and plot progression.

The novel starts off with a punch, launching you directly into the gritty, dark world of Orleans where blood type determines everything and segregates the community due to the deadly Delta Fever. From very early on, it's easy
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, arcs, ya
Move over Tris and Katniss, because Fen de la Guerre is ruling the dystopian scene.

I really hope this is the beginning of a series, because the final page left me breathless. I have to know more about what this future America is like. Sherri Smith did an amazing job creating a world within a world.

The Delta region has been destroyed by hurricanes and left for dead. Survival of the fittest. No one expect the people living in New Orleans to survive the Delta Fever, so when Daniel, an overly opti
Beth  (YA Books Central)
First let me say that I LOVED the cover to this book!!! It is really perfect for this book and I found myself continually turning back and looking at it. It is a true depiction of survival and this is what Orleans is ALL ABOUT!!

Orleans is a dystopian, post-apocalyptic, young adult story. This is VERY different than any other dystopian I have ever read. This story focuses more on the truth of what is happening rather than focusing on the characters lives. The author focuses on world b
Titus214
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided by Netgalley in ebook form for a honest review.
This book was so unexpected. In a good way. I enjoy dystopians however sometimes they can be a little far fetched. This book however was so realistic and probable that it was creepy. I also like the fact that the characters are African American. Many dystopians are from a white point of view. Authors forget that an dystopian society would effect all races. Orleans is a story about a young woman name Fen who is living in
Bryn Greenwood
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book piecemeal over the last two weeks, while I was in the midst of a lot of chaos related to my own book release. For the first half of the book, I had a hard time getting into it, which worked out well for a book I was reading just a chapter a day. I struggled to connect with the two main characters, one because the narration made him seem so bland (and hermetically sealed away from the consequences of his actions--which he is), the other because she was so reserved with her emotio ...more
Elizabeth
Likes

1. Diversity is a big part of the world building which I loved
2. The dialect was just different enough to give it a different feel without being distracting
3. No romance!!!!! So refreshing!
4. World building is really well done. Super interesting.

Dislikes (of a sort. Mostly things I don't know how I feel about)

1. I can't decide if I like the ambiguity of the ending, or if I am unsatisfied with it
2. Also can't decide if I like
Aimee Meester
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
WHERE TO EVEN START.

1. NO ROMANCE. Like, dude. I needed this in my life.

2. Gulf Coast apocalyptic setting! It kind of reminded me of Ship Breaker, but with more of a plot. And oh, what a lovely plot/setting that was.

3. Lots and lots of blood. *shudders*

4. Did I mention no romance? Because that was fantastic. The friendship was also fantastic.

Loveeee.
Nikki
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cover-love

I was so excited for this book. SO excited. It sounded awesome - doesn't that synopsis sound awesome?? A fierce heroine, battling against the odds to get her leader's baby to safety, befriends a scientist who is braving the walled-off city to find a cure for Delta Fever. I had very high hopes for this one.

Sadly, my hopes didn't pan out. I actually had a really hard time getting through this book.

You know the premise, so I'm just going to talk about my issues (the first-person narration, and a lack of any emotionabook.

Youone.

Sadly,

Annette (booknerderie)
For those who don’t know me: I grew up in New Orleans… my reasoning for picking this one up was a no brainer. So, I added this gem to my bookshelf and there it sat for pretty much a year. I’m happy to finally move it from my To Be Read shelf to my Read shelf! *phew*

Now on to the verdict…I liked this story A LOT: It’s 50 years after Katrina , a cat 6 super storm wipes out the south, causes an epidemic called Delta Fever, and creates an “Us {south La} against Them {everyone else}” atmosphere. But
La La
Refreshingly real and gritty! No kissy facing or love triangles; just in your face life in a dystopian world. Fen is a strong and courageous heroine, who tugs at your heart and amazes you with her facility to be both warrior and gentle caregiver. I loved this book from beginning to end. There wasn't one page of boring filler fluff in it.
Paige Green
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5/5

Genre: YA Dystopian/Post Apocalyptic

Recommended Age: 16+. Book makes allegories to child rape and mentions real child rape as well.

Favorite Quote: "The Outer States had almost everything that Orleans didn't. But the Delta still lived on."

Beginning with Hurricane Katrina, a series of category 3-6 hurricanes strike the Gulf Coast. These hurricanes not only destory Hawaii and the Carribean, sinking them below the sea due to rising water lev
Jan
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Imagine if Hurricane Katrina was just the tip of the iceberg, that instead of the Gulf Coast recovering after that devastating storm, a series of more horrific storms, each one more catastrophic than the last, continued to set down a reign of destruction upon that area until nothing was left in its wake but ruin, death, and disease. “After the storm deaths came other casualties: deaths by debris, cuts, tetanus, or loss of blood; suicide; heart attacks caused by stress of loss, or stress of rebui ...more
Heather Allen
See this review and others on Around the World in 80 Books!

What a world Sherri L. Smith created! Based in our own reality, post Rita and Katrina, we see the lower half of the US devastated by natural disasters from Florida to Texas (otherwise known as the Delta region). To prevent the spread of a new deadly virus, the government builds a wall and has the states succeed from the union. Fast forward 50 years from 2015, we meet Fen, a loyal O+ who now has to survive after her tribe was murdered
Maria
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a rare request, I want you to first judge this book by its cover. Look at it, analyze it, think about what you expect to get from this book. Got it?

Now, I can guarantee that Orleans will give you something entirely different than what you thought. Something you didn't expect -- so much greater than you could ask for, and far deeper than you thought it could go.

Orleans is a Young Adult novel that takes place in a world where massive hurricanes have changed the face of the southern

• Killer of Enemies (Killer of Enemies, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Diverse Energies
  • The Summer Prince
  • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
  • Wasteland (Wasteland, #1)
  • Awakening (Tankborn, #2)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
  • Living Hell
  • Crap Kingdom
  • Memory Boy (Memory Boy, #1)
  • Ink
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • A Matter of Days
  • The End Games
  • The Stars Change
  • Solstice
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
Sherri L. Smith is the award-winning author of YA novels LUCY THE GIANT, SPARROW, HOT SOUR SALTY SWEET, FLYGIRL and ORLEANS. In October 2015, she makes her middle grade debut with THE TOYMAKER’S APPRENTICE from G.P. Putnam and Sons for Penguin Random House.

Sherri has worked in film, animation, comic books and construction. Her books have been listed as Amelia Bloomer, American Library Association
“Some choices, once you make them, they stay made.” 1 likes