Start by marking “Decisions” as Want to Read:
Decisions

Decisions

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  238 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Jim Treliving is a police officer turned pizza king. An affable prairie boy, he took the leap from the RCMP and started to build a global empire. In his first book, Jim shows why today, he’s not only surviving, he’s thriving in a volatile 20th-century global market. For Treliving, success involves hard work and taking a measured, principled approach to making decisions, be ...more
Published August 24th 2012 by Collins

To ask other readers questions about Decisions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decisions

Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
How does Jim Treliving make decisions?

1. For "work" he makes decisions with his "heart";
2. For "money" he makes decisions with his "head"; and
3. For "people" he makes decisions with his "gut".

Excellent book from the founder of Boston Pizza and Dragon on the popular Canadian show "Dragons Den".

Jim shares his story of how he started the Boston Pizza Franchise and other business endeavors.
Marijana
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was filled with great advice and background rationale on how to put your ego aside and not only make a strong decision but also stick with it. I feel like we live in a society of second-guessers who in turn only make a decision because they have to. If you feel like you fit into the aforementioned category, I recommend picking up this book.
Matthew Tolton
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Mason Mohkami
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good lessons to be learned from Jim.
The main reason why I like to read autobiographies and book written by successful people is to learn from them and apply them in my life.
Teena in Toronto
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
I'm a fan of "Dragons' Den" and like Jim Treliving (he's the only original Dragon left). He seems fair on the show but doesn't put up with any BS. So I was interested in reading his story.

Jim was born in a small town in Manitoba. While stationed in Edmonton as a Mountie, he became friends with Gus, who along with his brothers, had owned a couple Boston Pizza restaurants and was the franchisor for others in western Canada. At this point, he had no idea what pizza even was! Jim liked the restauran
Shanwow
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THANK YOU JIM! I am in the process of starting my own business and am in an entrepreneur course at the local college. I have wanted to read all the Dragon's books and decided to read yours first. It was the pep talk that I needed to hear in my life at this exact moment. I have been repeatedly told that my business plan fails to talk to investors and bankers. I have to speak more of how much money I want to make. but Jim in this book points out that entrepreneurship isn't always about million dol ...more
BJ Gordon
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It's a quick read and there are only a few areas where the material is a little dry. I admire the "decisions" that Treliving made that ultimately brought him great success after years of hard work and determination. I enjoy reading autobiographies from successful individuals such as Jim every once in a while, but this one really hit home for me because of the parallel's I was able to draw between Jim's early life experience's and my own. Those who know me well will u ...more
Rich Helms
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I watch Jim on Dragon's Den and thought it would be fun to read his book. Decision making is something I have studied and practiced in the corporate world so I was drawn in by the title.

Jim sets out to explain his process for making decisions and how it worked creating his Boston Pizza empire as well as a dragon on the show.

I found the book very well written and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Great primer for entrepreneurs starting or growing a business. Jim had a tough slug and tells it all.

Hig
Amanda Vollmershausen
Meh. An interesting success story, coupled with advice on making decisions. His advice struck me as a little too simplistic and too personal to be useful to anyone else. I did enjoy the autobiographical components that took you through his life from an RCMP officer and Manitoban to where he is now. He's certainly an interesting Canadian figure worth knowing something about, but I'll take a pass on the metaphors of golf and business he writes about.
Andrea Lewis
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the casual way Jim breaks down his entrepreneurial journey. He also really emphasized that making decisions and taking action go hand in hand. He also writes about building relationships.

I had no idea what to expect from the book and I would highly recommend it. There are pearls of wisdom to be found in the book.
Maureen Rue
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to build you own business? This is the book that'll tell you how it's done. It's the Boston Pizza/Dragons' Den guy Jim Treliving recounting his story of rags to riches. With pointers of what to do and what not to do, it's the perfect primer for the budding entrepreneur. And it's an easy read.
Lisa Ferguson
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
A slow start but ultimately great read with specifics on how many times Jim "fell" down and then got back up and persevered. Often we look at people with immense success and fail to realize the road was much much harder than you can imagine.
Jane Blaufus
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone thinking about being an entrepreneur
Jim openly shares the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur. The courage we all must go through sometimes daily to succeed and make a difference not just in our lives but those we touch. It’s a good read for anyone thinking about starting a business and for those already in business.
Brian
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A pleasure to read from my perspective. He's led an interesting life, and the book reads exactly the way he'd talk on Dragons' Den.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.

Matt Hageman
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
9 out of 10! A very interesting read. See my review up within the week at http://www.geniusbookreviews.wordpres...
Betty-anne
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I enjoyed reading Jim's story, given he is a Dragon in the Den & I like how pensive he is, now I know why.
Francine Abel
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I found Jim Treliving to be an authentic and genuine man who worked hard to be where he is now. Great read!
Meghan
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Treliving is not arrogant at all. He is very down to earth in discussing his life through the RCMP, the early days of Boston Pizza through to Dragon's Den.
Gerald Boersma
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you ever wondered what it takes to build a multi-million dollar company from nothing, read this. There is more than meets the eye to Jim when you see him on Dragon's Den!
Big O
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best, period.
Alice
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.. it was lik Jim was sitting across the table telling me his life story...
Tealia
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
very inspirational! Boston Pizza is an amazing business. the book taught alot about how one decision leads to another place so you have to be careful and plan out what the consequences are
bruce davidson
excellent. tells of the pros and cons of owning your own biz. as well as the costs of it. it cost him his marriage
Xulferdica
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Candid, insightful, and inspiring. Read from cover to cover in less than 24 hours because it was just that good! Look forward to seeing Jim's progress over the next 20 years!
Julien Boissonneault