Start by marking “642 Things to Write About” as Want to Read:
642 Things to Write About

642 Things to Write About

This collection of 642 outrageous and witty writing prompts will get the creative juices flowing in no time. From crafting your own obituary to penning an ode to an onion, each page of this playful journal invites inspiration and provides plenty of space to write. Brimming with entertaining exercises from the literary minds of the San Francisco Writers' Grotto, this is the ...more
Paperback, First, 304 pages
Published 2011 by Chronicle Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about 642 Things to Write About, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 642 Things to Write About

Dee
Sep 21, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing
I rarely buy paper books anymore, and have enough books of writing prompts left unused that getting yet another seemed fairly pointless... However, when I glanced through this one at the local bookstore today, I knew I had to get it.

One of the reasons I never manage to use the other prompt-books is that my free time away from the computer tends to be in places that make juggling a pad of paper, pencil/pen, and book problematic; alternately, I'll have a great location, only to have my imagination
GoldGato
Nov 11, 2014 GoldGato rated it liked it

If each decade of your life was represented by a pop song, what would they be?

For anyone who wants to start writing or already writes but has occasional blockages of the keyboard, this is a decent book to learn or reboot one's inner writer. Formatted to look like an essay notebook, one can either write within the book itself or use the suggested topics to create elsewhere.

Write stage directions for an actor that insult him or her personally all along the way.

Some of the suggestions are howlers w
Dilara
Aug 21, 2015 Dilara added it
Shelves: own
I got this for my birthday earlier this year, and I have to say it's helping me get my writers block out of my system pretty well. I can't say I'm a great writer. I still think I can do better, way better than I'm doing now. I'm still young, of course, but one of my dreams is writing books. Maybe not in the next few years, but definitely someday, when I'm ready. Books like these make me want to write again, make me fall in love with the idea of writing, and honestly, make me want to lock myself ...more
Monica
Jul 15, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it
Tal como dice el título son 642 cosas sobre las que escribir. Es un MAGNIFICO CUADERNO PARA DESARROLLAR NUESTRA CREATIVIDAD POR ESCRITO CON UNA GRAN CANTIDAD DE REDACCIONES Y UN AMPLIO ABANICO DE TEMÁTICAS QUE TE DEPORTARÁ HORAS Y HORAS DE ESCRITURA Y QUE PUEDES COGER Y REALIZAR EN EL MISMO INSTANTE ( al no ser demasiado largas las redacciones que te piden), SIMPLEMENTE HAY QUE ESCRIBIR LA QUE MÁS TE ATRAIGA.
La obra se divide en escritos cortos, medios y semi largos, de un cuarto, media y página
Miquel Reina
Oct 19, 2015 Miquel Reina rated it really liked it
642 Things to write about
This is a book that a good friend of mine gave me a year ago. I will say that is not a conventional book in which you read a story written by an author, quite the opposite. 642 things to Write About is a white paper sheet. Page by page the book will go testing your capacity for invention, use of vocabulary and above all, your creativity. It's a great way to explore the potential we all have as creative and writer.

Spanish version: Este es un libro que una buena amiga mía
Alicia
Feb 22, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it
What would my life be like without notebooks? I am constantly bringing one around everywhere I go, I have a notebook for friggin everything, and I just love to write. This book is great for anyone who doesn't do much writing and maybe hasn't a clue what to write about. It has dozens of topics, scenarios, and short creative writing activities that in my opinion would better anyone's creativity flow. If you just do not know what to write about, you love to write but you find yourself staring at a ...more
Amber
Nov 05, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, on-hold
This book is helping me break out of my years-long writer's block. The layout is simple and inviting, and the subjects leave much room for the imagination to roam. I have been using the prompts to write for 30 minutes every day when I can, and I love what I have been writing. Recommended for anyone who wants to exercise their creativity.
Oda
Jan 20, 2014 Oda rated it it was amazing
This book is really clever if you have a writer's block or lack inspiration about what to write about. I also find it useful to swap through it to get some inspiration the day before we're supposed to write a story in school etc.

It has the strangest prompts, though. For example:

-"Describe a professor coming on to one of his students"
-"Write a sex scene you wouldn't show your mom" (and then in the next prompt, you're supposed to rewrite it into one you would show your mum)
-"What your desk thinks
Tori
Aug 01, 2014 Tori rated it it was amazing
As an aspiring writer, I am unfortunately too familiar with writer's block, and find myself writing and re-writing the same paragraph over and over in the hopes I'll manage to incorporate some sort of brilliant idea or metaphor into it.
This book helps with that.

Full of quirky little prompts like "write a love letter to a person you dislike", you'll find yourself flicking through the hundreds of pages, excited about the prospect of this little book of treasures, and unsure of which prompt to use
Paula
Aug 31, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
I can't live without journals. I don't trust myself to remember things, so instead I am always writing. and taking photos. and documenting everything significant that ever happens to me. or even the insignificant moments. I love this book. It's not a book you read, but a book you create yourself.
Melanie
Dec 09, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
A great tool to get your writing juice flowing. Interesting prompts, funny, sometimes a bit more personal. A good book. Made me realize that I'm actually turning into my mother despite all my best efforts not to... (Prompt: In what way you are like your mother). Thankfully she also has good sides.
Maria Vega
Aug 23, 2013 Maria Vega rated it it was amazing
Great writing prompts. I plan to use this in my high school English classes.
Ilze
Aug 05, 2015 Ilze rated it it was amazing
This is not a book you read, but fill with writing yourself ... and i'm proud to say that i've (finally! After 2? years) got to the stage where there's an entry on almost every page. The prompts are fairly good and thought provoking and i've found that rather than trying to write something off the cuff immediately, it's almost better to let the prompt sink into your brian a bit and then write something later. In fact, i've even invested in its follow-up: 712 More Things to Write About and have b ...more
Alisha Torres
Jul 05, 2014 Alisha Torres rated it really liked it
I'm not done with the entire book yet, but I can say it's wonderful! I bought this book as a tool to keep my mind fresh and thinking, so I do at least two of the writing "exercises" a day. I wasn't suffering from the dreaded writers block when I purchased the book, but rather because I hoped that each question/answer would force me to contemplate in a new way, and it did. Since I started using the book I've completed several chapters in a book I'm writing and have the first two chapters to a sec ...more
Marilyn
Oct 15, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it
I've read through all the prompts once and wrote what popped out at me. Some prompts are personal (all you remember about your algebra teacher), some are not (you are a pirate, describe your perfect day), some are lists (10 bad bar pickup lines), some are activities (study a stranger, describe their mother). Great book if you want ideas for things to write and a place to write them in.
SunnyBea
Aug 04, 2014 SunnyBea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-and-ideas
Well, this isn't really a book. But I really liked it as a prompt to writing, something to kick me out of the nest when I'm not in the mood.

I don't use it often and not in order, just a random prompt or two every now and then. I date the entries. Honestly, it's rather like a creative journal! For that reason it's fun. Perhaps someday I can read my silly drabbles and laugh with who I was =]
Naomi
I've seen books poorly attempt what this book has winningly done: a humorous, practicle and inspiring list of writing prompts that I'd recommend anyone to buy - not only writers, because it'll aid your cause, but anyone as it'll rekindle memories and thoughts of your life you may have forgotten and bring interest back, even for the happy this is a good, fun book :)
Yamileth Osorio
Jan 07, 2014 Yamileth Osorio rated it it was amazing
It's the greatest purchase I've made (notebook wise) I love it. Many topics to write about on a daily basis too, like write a love letter to someone you don't like to deep topics as what's the last thing that made you cry. Great notebook to get ideas out or just for a fun hobby. A great way to start using that pen again!
Desiree
Jul 12, 2015 Desiree rated it it was amazing
Picked this book up on a whim at Target. As I flipped through the pages I felt that electric spark of creativity so I bought it with much excitement. I'm so glad I did because I've only written in a few of the prompts but I already have ideas from them swirling around in my mind wanting to become stories. Love this book!
Michelle Lynne
Feb 18, 2014 Michelle Lynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really loved this book of writing prompts. They were all really creative and got my mind racing with possible book ideas. I found that the space they provided to "answer" the prompts weren't near enough, but I ended up using a separate notebook to collect my ideas anyway. I really recommend it if you're just looking for a book to help get your creative juices flowing!
G
Jun 04, 2014 G rated it it was amazing
I usually don't do diaries or journals because I blank out on what to write after a while and it gets boring so a while back, I threw all my notebooks out. THIS book, is something I carry around with me where ever I go. It gives you so much to write and draw. Find yourself in all the answers you pull from deep down on to this.
Dana
Oct 09, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like writing
This book is a very creative way to practice your writing. I bought this book during the summer, and it helped me out in curing my boredom. If you like writing a lot, you'll love this book. If you don't like writing, then you won't like this book.
Gemma Johnson
Apr 02, 2015 Gemma Johnson rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is amazing and its something you and your friends can join in with.

This has got to be one of the best buys so far :) it opens up your mind and gets ur imagination going!! I would reccomend for others to buy for a daily exercise xx
Kylie
Feb 17, 2014 Kylie marked it as to-read
I want to get the young adult version
ReadingMakesMeSmile
Sep 23, 2014 ReadingMakesMeSmile rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love story writing and this book is amazing. I do one topic a morning and I definitely think it has improved my writing skills. Especially my descriptions.
Haley
Mar 03, 2015 Haley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Really great way to find some inspiration when your stuck. A lot of these prompts helped me figure out and hone in my story's plot. Two thumbs up.
Krisztina Skrabonja
Mar 05, 2014 Krisztina Skrabonja rated it it was amazing
This book provides children with awesome creative writing ideas and the company has a website of "writers community" they may join.
hissi
Nov 09, 2015 hissi rated it it was amazing
I use this whenever I face a writer's block
Piggie
Dec 29, 2015 Piggie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Writers
This book is so much fun! Anyone who likes to journal and write in response to prompts will like this book. It is set up so that it gives you room to write a response to the prompts that it offers. This makes a great portable option for writing. I enjoy writing prompts immensely. The ones in this book are quirky and unrelated to each other. I have been writing furiously and filling the pages quickly. I think it is one of those books that I could happily own more then one copy. It would be intere ...more
Quinn
Jan 11, 2016 Quinn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
Just what it says, a big, fat book with a prompt on each page. You can fill up the page writing about the prompt, you can use the prompts by opening a page randomly, or you can work through them in order. It doesn't matter. There are prompts, questions, and thoughtful sentences you will enjoy and use over and over.

I chose one and wrote on it several times, discovering different ideas each time. A good gift book for a writer, too.
Share what you wrote 2 14 Mar 03, 2014 06:30PM
  • What I Wore Today
  • One Line a Day: A Five-Year Memory Book
  • All About Me
  • Take a Line for a Walk: A Creativity Journal
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
  • Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • The Write-Brain Workbook