Start by marking “Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  23,465 Ratings  ·  3,495 Reviews
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants
Published February 12th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Pivot Point, please sign up.
♥ ᄂIVΣᄂӨVΣᄂIFΣ♥ no not really but there is a reason why and that turns out to be such a plot twist I mean you kind of guess but not really
Kailey Melichar
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Blythe
I don't think of myself as the type of reader and reviewer who gives every book they love the full, five stars. There are some, if not most books I give four stars to that I say I love, and most if not all of the books I give 4.5 stars to are ones I say I love. But I tend to save five stars for books that are practically flawless to me; for books that, no matter how many minutes, hours, days, etc., I spend trying to find something that I didn't like about it, I still come up with nothing.

Pivot
Emily May
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2013, sci-fi

This book was exactly what I needed to read right now. After a series of books focusing on the depressing, the gory, the serious and various roads leading to the apocalypse, Pivot Point is a refreshingly bright novel brimming with fun. From the light-hearted and hilarious dialogue between the characters, to the sheer likeability of the protagonist - Addie - who doesn't bog down the novel with melodrama and angst but leads us through a story that is completely enjoyable and practically
Sana
Can anyone tell me where to buy a Trevor from??? Because i'm in a serious need of a cute, shy, innocent, strong quarterback with those smexy biceps and amazing art skills to draw Lucewood fanart with.

SPOILERS EVERYWHERE UNMARKED

○Mind powers
○Secret hidden world from the Normal boring one
○MC who loves reading and feels the emotion of the characters
○Relatable MC
○TREVOR SWEET HEART
○Likeable MC
○Pain
○Pain
○and Pain

Ok, so the first half of this book was very meh bc it was so contemporary like and I was
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Kasie West is a certified writer of fluffy reads. Even a dystopian (sort of) novel can become fluffy when she writes it. As usual,she has this way of manipulating my feelings for her male characters. Is there something wrong with me if I admitted that I swooned for both Duke and Trevor? Lol.

The first half of the story is indeed all fluff. At some point, it was too fluffy it has become a bit of a drag. (If I used the word "fluffy" one more time here, you're allowed to hurt me already. Lol.)

But wa
Steph Sinclair
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi fans looking for something with a contemporary feel
Pivot Point, I'm not quite sure what you are... but I think I kinda loved it. I have this issue where I feel the need to categorize things. I can't explain it, I guess that's just the way my brain works. Pivot Point was really an enigma for me because I just couldn't tell what genre it would fall in. From the blurb, it clearly screams sci-fi, but when you start reading it feels so contemporary. And that was a very, very pleasant surprise because the novel kept me guessing from beginning to end.

A
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Enjoyed reading this, and there are numerous things I thought were very well done.

-- a Sliding Doors type story, which is uncommon in YA.
-- Interesting paranormal abilities
-- some genuinely cute romantic moments
-- a story that moves quickly and keeps the reader's interest
-- a solid ending that commits to the path it takes.

A few things that could have been explored in more depth:

-- the powers are fairly straightforward, and your usual X-Men/paranormal types
-- all the characters woul
Simona Bartolotta
3.5

"I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that's what I am. It's when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem."

•I don't know how long it's been since a book kept me hooked and awake well into the night. Pivot Point did it, and this is always a thing that I not only take into account, but highly value.
In spite of this, the book does have a couple of flaws -the kind of flaws that made me roll my eyes and grunt unhappily as a form of protest against
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
I really couldn’t get into this book and was about to DNF when I was about halfway through, until I got past the beginning and middle. Then I was hooked. It went from boring me to death to a complete plot twist with the murders happening.

Now I really need the 2nd book ASAP.

Favorite character that I completely loved was Trevor... that guy is something unique and amazing🖤 He saved this from being a 2 Star read🙃
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
3.5 stars because I'm feeling especially generous today.

First, let me get one very important fact out of the way: technically, Pivot Point is practically flawless. There's nothing in it that bothered me or set my teeth on edge, but while I was reading it, I couldn't help but think of how much better it could have been. Because it's true: there were so many ways to tell this story and Kasie West chose the least interesting one. But I should start from the beginning.

Addie grew up in a top secre
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Buddy Read with my two lovely ladies, Kat and Chelsea! (click for their reviews...NOW)

So at first I was all like...

but then after a couple of chapters...

First off, this is a paranormal romance . Or sci-fi? I'm not sure, all I know is that this is a romance and nothing else, really, and I probably would have known that had I read the blurb other than the first time when I added this to my tbr more than a year ago.

So why am I going on about this?

Because for some reason I was expecting some acti
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
This book was a birthday present from Anna-thank you, crazy alien friend :D And I buddy read this with my hilarious/sarcastic friend, Kat and asked lovely Mela to join along.

*3.5 Stars....I think*

He grabs hold of my hips and pulls me forward. "You didn't fail me tonight. You saved me. I must've looked like the biggest idiot."
I shake my head no, his hands on my hips making my breath come in shallow sips.
"What's wrong?" He asks.
"You're confusing me."
"Really? And here I thought I was making thin
shady boots | #20gayteen
This review is also available over at my blog.

_____________________

You know that feeling where you read a book that you were really really excited for, and at first you're worried that it might not live up to your high expectations, but then after you read it further and finish it, you realize that it not only lived up to your expectations, but exceeded them?

I just love that feeling. And it was exactly what I felt with Pivot Point. <3

In the world of this book there are humans with special min
Giselle
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
para·nor·mal: adj. not scientifically explainable : supernatural
-Merriam-Webster

Meet Addison, or preferably Addie; Clairvoyant Divergent. Addie has the unique and thought-provoking ability of being able to see both sides of the coin. In other words, when she has a decision to make, she can see the future of each choice and pick the one that's best. Fascinating, no? But what happens when you don't want either future you foresee? This plot revolves around Addie's venture into two futures after s
♥Rachel♥
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pivot Point was a wonderfully fast paced and exciting read. I was mesmerized from the first page. While it didn’t’ leave off on a cliffhanger, it’s going to be torture waiting for the next installment!

Addison is a girl with special powers living in a city held secret from the outside world; a city where other “paranormals” live and perfect their abilities. Addison has the ability to search her future and see the outcome of a path she takes. She doesn’t use her ability all the time, so when her p
Ariana
Can someone please come and erase my memory such that I can fall in love again with this story in 2014?

I really have a hard time believing that I will be able to sit still and wait a whole year for my favorite part of this story. I am even scared. I saw Addie fall in love 2 times (and I loved both love stories – well, one more than the other) and now I expect the next ‘beginning’ to be just as sweet.
I know, this is not the way to start my review, but how do you expect me to focus on writing whe
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a story which hasn't been done a thousand times before
Two Paths - One Choice.

photo d86c5e5c-6476-40c8-8733-1568b7757efa_zps01622687.jpg
3.5 stars (but the ending was 5 stars, so hurry up book 2!).

Poor Addie. I have a hard time trying to figure out which restaurant to go to or which movie to watch when given a choice. If you told me to pick between two paths which would lead my life in complete opposite directions, yet both paths might come with their own set of problems...forget it. I would probably end up having a nervous breakdown.

3 second basic story concept : Addie's parents are getting a divorce.
Emer
This book had a very similar feel to the Gwyneth Paltrow film Sliding Doors except with a heavy paranormal aspect. Addie is part of a section of society that have exceptional cognitive powers and abilities making them sorta super human. They live separated from the "norms" in a specially designed secret compound. When there is a decision to be made in Addie's life her unique ability means she can search her future to see the possible outcomes of her choices. So when Addie is given the decision t ...more
Mitch
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I sense a disturbing new trend in young adult books of borrowing high concept ideas from other genres, slapping it over your typical relationship drama like a crude veneer, and passing it off as the innovative new thing - and I don't like it. Case in point, Pivot Point, which takes the common enough science fiction idea of alternate futures serving as sort of a life lesson or teaching moment and turns it on its head with all angst, all the time. Believe me, I totally get the appeal of an ability ...more
ally
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ally by: Sana
Shelves: 2017-reads, 3-5-stars
3.5 Stars

This is why I read too 😀 PS. I love you, Addie 💙

Spoilers Beyond. Read @ Your Own Risk :D

Things I Liked:

✔ Trevor ( and Brody ) is the definition of a good boyfriend in my book. Does anyone know where I can obtain a Trevor?
✔ The ending, which completely took me by surprise. I'm so dumb and didn't realize the whole book was a freaking search! Sometimes, I'm so stupid when it comes to reading, I s
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
“Sometimes perfection reveals the lie, not the truth.”

Addison is a Searcher, she is able to see all the alternate paths when she has to make a decision. Basically, she's able to see, and live through, all the ways a certain choice will change her future and where that decison would lead.
This story is set in a modern day world, where a secret society of Paranormals with special mind abilities lives in a technologically advanced Compound, only rarely mixing with the Norms - the ordinary people
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
*shelved under childhood reviews*

I'm not much of a review fanatic anymore, but I will say this: don't let the rather bland first half bore you into giving up.

Trust me, it gets much better. I mean, I went from reading the first 100 pages and then tucking it away for the next three months, to finally overcoming reader's block and flying through the book within a DAY.

The end will not disappoint.

...I just hope I'll be able to say the same for Split Second. *fingers crossed*
Lauren
This book had me hooked from the beginning and it was the ideal book to push me into reading more. Pivot Point was a light and easy book to read compared to many other paranormal/sci-fi books. It didn’t require a lot of thought and it was easy to get lost in the story. I didn’t exactly know what to expect because I’ve read all of Kasie West’s other books which were all contemporaries. I wouldn’t say this book is a big difference, it's similar to her other novels but with a twist. It was very dif ...more
Elena Salvatore
description
Argh. I'm so mad at this book!

Addison lives in a town where people have developed their human mind and are able to access a part of their brain which gives them "superpowers".
For instance, her father is a human lie detector, her mother can convince you to do anything and her best friend can erase memories.
Addie has the ability to see the future. Sort of....
When she has to make a decision, she can see her life into the furture of every alternative, so that she can choose which path to take.

When
Emily Anne
I don't know why, but I pre ordered this book 3 months before it came out, and I am so glad I did. Pivot Point glues you to it's pages, and I finished it in one night.

The book starts out very quickly. Addie comes home from her supernatural school to hear the news that her parents are getting a divorce. Her mom is staying in the Compound, while her dad is moving to the normal world. Addie has to pick who to live with.

She calls her best friend over and, to help decide, uses her powers as a searche
Erika
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VIDEORECENSIONE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcvdy...

La trama si prospettava interessante fin dall'inizio: ci sono delle persone che vivono tra di noi nella massima segretezza e che hanno delle speciali abilità mentali. Ci sono i telecinetici, i telepati, i persuasivi e poi c'è Addie che ha il dono della "divergenza" che le permette, se messa davanti ad una scelta, di vedere i suoi potenziali futuri. -- Il suo potere le torna particolarmente utile quando i suoi genitori le dicono che stanno
Alaina Meserole
Pivot Point was a pretty good and interesting book. However, the ending kind of confused me. It did also remind me of one of the endings from the Artemis Fowl series, I believe the third book, with the whole memory thing.

In this book you will meet Addison. She is a searcher and is able to see alternate paths when she has to make a decision. Sounds like that would come in handy with my life. One of the decisions she has to make is which parent to live with because her parents are getting a divorc
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
I had a sneaking suspicion that I might hate this book and when I found out it was set in a secret high school for teenagers with special abilities. (Like the movie Sky High lol!) I was thinking “Oh crap! Abort, abort!!”

I don’t think I have really enjoy a paranormal book set in high school since Vampire Academy and I must admit I was expecting this book to be something more along the lines of The Time Travellers Wife. But this book is nothing like anything I have read before. WOW!

Addie lives in
Sara Raasch
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to lay out two possible futures for you. Are you ready?

So, you walk into a bookstore, and there on the shelf sits PIVOT POINT. In your pocket is your most recent wad of book-money, which you had intended to spend on your ever-growing collection of books about vampires. But then you see PP, a book that is completely vampire-free, and you think "Hm. Maybe today, I should try something different?"

These are the two futures, as laid out for you by me, the Knower of Futures:

1) If you buy PIV
Anja
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4 PARANORMAL STARS*

“I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that's what I am.”

^THIS QUOTE IS ME^

Well, this is what I call a pleasant surprise!
I’ve always loved Kasie West, don’t get me wrong, but her latest releases were a bit mehhh in my personal opinion.
Which is why I decided to read this one, one of her earliest releases and also the only duology she’s ever written. This really made me wish she’d write more fantasy/paranormal instead of plain old r
Elena
I loved how fast-paced and addictive this book was!
Around the Year i...: Pivot Point, by Kasie West 1 9 Apr 25, 2017 12:12PM
Play Book Tag: Pivot Point by Kasie West ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1 8 Jan 05, 2017 10:21AM
  • Parallel
  • Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall, #1)
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Some Quiet Place (The Other Plane, #1)
  • Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Golden
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND, PS I LIKE YOU, and BY YOUR SIDE. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.
More about Kasie West

Pivot Point (2 books)
  • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“When I read, I feel emotion all on my own. Emotion no living person is making me feel.” 422 likes
“I don't care when people think I'm an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that's what I am. It's when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem.” 380 likes