Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 17: Something to Fear” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 17: Something to Fear

The Walking Dead, Vol. 17: Something to Fear

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) #17)

In this volume of the NYT bestselling survival horror, Rick and his band of survivors work to build a larger network of thriving communities, and soon discover that Negan's "Saviors" prove to be a larger threat than they could have fathomed. Crossing Negan will lead to serious, dire consequences for the group; it seems that for the first time since the Governor's reign of ...more
Comics, 132 pages
Published November 21st 2012 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Vol. 17

Start your review of The Walking Dead, Vol. 17: Something to Fear
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I never thought I would miss that fluffy pussy cat named the Governor.

This volume went dark in a hurry. Rick is feeling good there for about a minute. Things are going his way, the Hilltop is looking better and better and he (view spoiler)..Life is good.
That last 2.3 seconds.

I'm glad these suckers are written in black and white. Because this one is so brutal you just don't need that color in your head.

(view spoiler)

PS. I ha
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
NOT OKAY. I AM NOT OKAY.
Alejandro
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here comes Negan!

This is the seventeenth volume of “The Walking Dead”, collecting the comic book issues from #97 to #102.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Seventeen

SOMETHING TO FEAR

Rating: ***** ( 5 stars )

I’m just getting started. Lucille is thirsty.

A new era of The Walking Dead begins, and we get back to Rick Grimes and his group of survivors in a dystopian world where zombies roam it.

At the endin
Kemper
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rick’s group of survivors thought that their recent success in wiping out a huge herd of zombies along with finding that there were other communities nearby that they could start trading with had provided the first rays of sunshine in the long dark night that is The Walking Dead.

However, long time readers shouldn’t be surprised that was just writer Robert Kirkman setting us up like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick. If you’re familiar with this series and still ended up flat o
Ken
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another gripping instalment in the series.

Knowing that the 100th issue was surpassed in this volume I knew that something big was about to happen, yet again this series continues to shock and surprise me.

The Negan story arc is clearly heading towards a brutal and tough outcome and I’m not sure that I’m ready for what awaits...
Jeff
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Hey, Rick is smiling, he’s optimistic. "We can kill all the zombies eventually and everyone can live in peace and harmony." Hugs for everybody. Where's the party cake?

This lasted about eight panels.

The Governor has a first class ticket on the Crazy Train, but Negan is the engineer and conductor. (Cue Ozzy Osbourne song)

This one’s a gut punch from Kirkman and company.
Melissa
Dec 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Good grief, I am over this series. I thought I'd be okay with less zombies but it turns out I'm not. I can't care about these people's machinations & schemes & hookups anymore, I can't watch (view spoiler) someone else g ...more
Sean Barrs
Finally a volume that REALLY has the power to kick-start this series!

I’m glad Kirkman recognised that the story was growing stale and that he needed to murder a few characters in order to get it moving again. I wasn’t particularly sad to see either of them go. They had both become a little dull and really didn’t have any room for development within the story at large.

I’m up to date on the television show, so I know much of what will happen next though I’m still excited to see the big war play o
Trudi

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

Holy moses, I just knew I was being set up in the last volume. I knew it!!! My momma didn't raise no fools.

But that hurt. A lot. You'd think I'd be so numb by now that nothing would really get past my defenses anymore but apparently I can still be shivved, right in the back and fall to my knees screaming. (view spoiler)

This new baddie Negan is a real piece of
Becky
Holy shit-monkeys.

Well. Clearly I was suffering from an abundance of optimism and a distinct lack of suicidal depression. Robert Kirkman has decided to remedy that.

This volume is BRUTAL. BRU-TAL. It's... man. It's cruel. I realize now that I was getting a bit complacent, that I was operating on the assumption that things would be dealt with and handled. Rick's optimism was infectious, and I realized that I'd come to stand with him on his vision of the future. This volume just drop-kicked me ba
Liam Townsend
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dear Robert Kirkman,

I've decided to start hating you. Sure, I knew the peril of liking one of your characters. Especially if that character was, in fact, likable. But this was different. This was my favorite character, you bastard. (view spoiler)
The last three volumes (including this one) have just been slugging along at an average rate for me. Some crazy shit happened in this volume, two characters that I liked died, and yet I'm just not as enthralled with this comic as much as I was in the past. I know that it must be insanely hard to write new and exciting stuff in this comic because it may come off as repetitive, unbelievable or overly-dramatic and so that's why I'm being quite generous with my rating. Robert Kirkman is actually goo ...more
Anna
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, adventure
Human nature never changes... Mafia guys are at the door of our heroes, informing them that whay was theirs till now is nor for share... Our heroes seem they have run out of options and agree.. but don't they have something in mind?
Ryan Buckby
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First read: May 16th 2016
Re-read: November 9th 2019

well this issue was all kinds of crazy and messed up, and Negan himself has made his first appearance in the comics and i can say i was terrified watching his appearance as i was reading it.

Negan along with his Saviours all make their first appearance, Rick, Andrea, Michonne, Carl and glenn are stopped by the first group of saviours on motorcycles demanding Rick to hand over everything they own but things don't end well when the group mana
Hayden
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Walking Dead has essentially been in remission since the mind-numbingly insane events of No Way Out. Action has been put on the back burner through most of the #90's issues in favor of more and more character development. I love character development, but it's comforting to get TWD back to its glorious roots. And this volume did not disappoint.

What occurs here is remarkable, because it isn't action oriented like No Way Out or The Governor arcs. It's just goddamn' terrifying. Kirkman managed
Melki
Once again, the carnivorous dead take a back seat to the absolute hell that is OTHER PEOPLE.

Here we meet the nefarious Negan. He looks like a buffoon, speaks like a potty-mouthed idiot - "I'm NEGAN, and I do NOT appreciate you killing my men. Also, when I sent my men to kill your men for killing my men you killed more of my men. Not cool." - BUT, he carries a very large and very nasty stick. One of Rick's tribe will learn a very, very awful lesson; a lesson that goes on for several pages, in na
Darren Hagan
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a good volume with a couple of major character deaths. Negan is a bit terrifying to say the least, but I kind of like him. He's like the Governor with a lot more personality and a penchant for saying the word 'fuck'. I wouldn't like to meet him, but to read about is a bit funny :P
Sam Quixote
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the wake of the zombie apocalypse, one thought above all else has never left my head: “what happened to all of the Fonzie impersonators?”. Now I know: they all joined together under the leadership of Negan, the latest big bad in The Walking Dead.

On their return trip from Hilltop, Rick and co. (a name which makes them sound like a window washing company) encounter the first of Negan’s bikers, a fateful tussle that calls down the full wrath of evil Fonzie himself. Rick’s hubris toward Negan le
Kurt
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
As readers probably expected, a book called Something to Fear is really really scary. Even by The Walking Dead standards. Yow. In the last volume, Kirkman opened up his world by showing his characters that they were just one of many communities of survivors, and this volume explores some of the dark side of what that means. A terrifying new group of villains beats someone to death in one of the goriest and most heartbreaking scenes in what is already a gory and heartbreaking series. Rick shows s ...more
Wren (fablesandwren)
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

This Volume. My Lord. This is what I have been waiting for.

First off, it's THIS VOLUME:

Which means we meet the baddest of the bad of guys ever, Negan. I was so pumped. I was giddy. Holy crap my heart burst for the characters but I was smiling. Does that make me a horrible person? I would say so. But I don't care. The last couple of volumes were leading up to this, and boy did I not get into them.

This one was gold. HOLY CRAP I am so content with this right now.

WrensReads | Good
Artemy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: image-comics, comics
Eh. So, Negan is yet another Kirkmanian villain, meaning that he's just fucking evil for no reason. So far he seems to be yet another shitty character, just like the Governor was. It wasn't a particularly bad volume, though, and so far we've only seen Negan for one issue, so maybe my opinion will change. I can't deny at this point that I am hooked on this series, even though I can't say I am enjoying actually reading it. But I am curious to see how Rick will handle that situation.
Drew The Reviewer
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was afraid that after the feud with the Governor that we would never see another truly evil villain in this series. Negan makes the Governor look like a pussy. I couldn't believe the torture scene and the introduction to the war that has begun with Negan. Absolutely amazing.
Patrick
This was the saddest one yet. First we meet Negan—Negan kills Glenn—and now all Alexandria serve the Saviors. Besides Lori and the baby both getting shot, the scene where Glenn dies was the most graphic—gory—most disgusting thing I’ve seen in a long while. The only thing worse than that picture was the scene on the show.
Cori
I'm keeping track of the differences between the shows and books as I go along. If you don't want spoilers or a side-by-side comparison, stop reading.

Now.

Now.

Okay then.

Rick and Andrea are still sort of a thing.

Carl still experiences some amnesia; things come back to him with chilling coldness. He doesn't seem to be processing the emotions of his memories in a healthy way as they return to him.

Abraham is killed by a group of Saviors by a crossbow bolt to the head. It's somewhat anticlimactic
Sesana
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dystopian
With this collection, The Walking Dead tops 100 issues. Quite an achievement. I do have mixed feelings about this collection, though.

On one hand, I do like that Kirkman is trying to explore all of the situations that might pop up post-zombie uprising. Here, we have Negan and his protection racket. The situation itself, and the way it's handled, is fairly realistic. I'm also enjoying the hints, spread thinly over the last few volumes, that maybe this too shall pass. (view spoiler)
Kim
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies-invade
Whoa.... Damn that was intense. New characters, new threats. Damnnnnnn.
Gabby
This volume was fucking crazy oh my god! Two huge characters got killed off what the fuck. I'm so depressed. Negan is fucking crazy and I honestly think he's one of the worst villains in this series to date. So funny story about this particular volume. This might make me a bad person but oh well. I wanted to check it out form the library but for some reason at my local library volume 17 was checked out, but they had volumes 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and all the rest. You get the idea. So I went to Bar ...more
Nicole Alycia
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The introduction of Negan .... so good.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Gahhhhhh! Kirkman, you must actively hate me! Every time I start to like one of the characters - DEAD! STOP IT.

This was another fairly decent entry into the train wreck of the Zombie World to Come. Rick "Marty Stu" Grimes continues to be a thorn in my side (the baddies even talk about how at this point, he's invincible - yay?). Carl "Psychopath In Training" Grimes continues to disturb the hell out of me. Andrea betrays me by moving in with Marty Stu and Psycopath in Training.

And Ki
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: para-zombies
The Good: The previous volume was slow and full of setup that we could only hope would pay off. Something to Fear is everything a reader could have dreamed of and more. Absolutely mind blowing. Huge, unexpected twists that change EVERYTHING. The introduction of Negan will make the groups interactions with the Governor seem like a minor altercation. This is exactly what the series needed. Action, emotion, and a bad guy that will chill you to the bone. Absolutely renews my love of the series.

The B
Change publishing date 1 1 Oct 14, 2019 06:19AM
what do you think about the comic?, who is your favorite character? 8 50 Aug 21, 2014 08:42PM
She-Geeks: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Walking Dead (Spoilers) 6 73 Nov 29, 2012 04:36PM

• The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide
  • Grafity's Wall
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Locke & Key: Small World
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 5: Clockworks
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega
  • Justice League International, Volume 2: Breakdown
  • Resident Alien Volume 1: Welcome to Earth!
  • DMZ, Vol. 9: M.I.A.
  • The Walking Dead Volume 7 The Calm Before (Greek Language Edition)
  • DMZ, Vol. 10: Collective Punishment
  • DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising
  • DMZ, Vol. 12: The Five Nations of New York
  • Criminal (2019-) #2
  • Sword Daughter Volume 1 - She Brightly Burns
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Harleen (2019) #3

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye