Start by marking “The Wish (The Wish, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wish (The Wish, #1)

The Wish

(The Wish #1)

At his death, Byron Sinclair left behind more than just his much older partner Alfred Anderson. The couple helped raise their respective nephews, and while Paul Sinclair and Alex Martin are now adults, they still have some growing up to do, particularly when it comes to getting along with each other.

If they refuse to be in the house at the same time, how can Alex be so
ebook, 2nd Edition, 210 pages
Published July 20th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wish

Start your review of The Wish (The Wish, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~2.5~

~~Anti-book slump BR with my Ele~~

Tragically, The Wish did not end our reading slump! We may be the only two people who didn't love this book. Ele's review sums it up nicely.

The writing was awkward and confusing; paragraphs switched between active and passive voice, and there were too many POVs, including the butler's and Uncle Bryce's (or, I should say, Uncle Bryce's ghost's).

For a while, Alex and Paul seemed interchangeable. They weren't of course. Alex is the selfish manwhore living
Cole Riann
I finally got around to reading this book, one that I bought quite a while ago and regretfully let fall to the bottom of my teetering TBR pile. Just wanted to write a quick note here and say how delightful this story was, how funny, heartwarming, and well written it was. There's just something that Eden Winters does well that always gives her stories that little extra push. I'm not sure if it comes down to her characters, which are always a delight to read, or if she just has a direct line to ...more
Ele
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok

**2.5 stars**

Once more I'm in the minority. This was my first book by this author and I can't say I'm impressed.

Although I never managed to connect to the characters, I liked the first half of the story way better than the second. At least there was some kind of conflict there. The sex scenes were hot, the story of Alfred and his deceased partner was touching and some scenes with the ghost were nice too.

BUT

The switching POVs are very jarring. Everyone has a POV! Including the butler. And the
Kassa
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an example of a book that is a little stereotypical, a little bland and predictable in some places, yet can come together with a gentle plot and deliver a lovely, touching story. A deeply romantic tale of two couples, one at the end of their lives and the other just beginning, filled with humor, tragedy, whimsy, and warmth. The story takes known themes and still manages to give something unique and poignant. While The Wish may not be lauded as the best book of the year, it is one that ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: MsMiz (Tina)
4.5 stars.

This book is full of emotions. There's the grief for the loss of a lover and a dear one; there's the sadness for the impossibility to find a true love; there's the remorse for lost chances; there's the fear of not being able to be loved for what one is; there's the hope that true love exists and never dies.

Even if the setting is contemporary, it's like the story takes place in the past. Alfred and his beloved Byron are rich and they live in a beautiful house with servants. They have
Camilla
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, favorites
Damn, damn, damn..

After the first 20 pages of this book, I had cried and laughed, and that kinda laid the ground rules for the rest of it.. Well.. Maybe not so much the laughing.. The crying though? Oh dear God..

I think its safe to say, that I have never -ever- cried this much over a book before.. Like.. seriously, full blown bawling.. Luckily they say its healthy to cry, so I'm not that worried..

But wow.. What an amazing book this is.. Its so full of emotions, and.. yeah well, emotions of all
Derek
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great novel, to me the ending seemed to drag on a bit, maybe I'm just tired. The cover was great and comes into play at the end of the novel. The characters were wonderfully fleshed out and it made me want rich uncles who took care of me. I had a perfect picture of both Alex and Paul in my mind and loved and believed both characters. A solid novel and the paranormal aspect of the book just made it that much more fresh.
Deeze
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A great romantic story. The characters are lovely, the situations rather sad but at the same time so heart warming. I would love to of read Byron and Alfreds story in more detail, they seemed so perfect. In fact I kinda liked them more than Alex and Paul. I did spend a lot of the time reading this wiping away my tears, but they were not all sad tears. Recomend to all looking for a deeper more meaningful story.
Chris Weg
I have no words for this story. There is nothing I can say that explains how much this book touched me. It is not often that something causes a deep emotional response in me and when it does happen I never want the feeling to go away. This made me look into my own life and see my own relationships with family and friends and wonder am I doing everything I can to give myself a good life. This book ripped my soul out so I could examine it and try and fix the flaws in my own life. It gave me ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Oh, this one is just so sweet!
I had tears in my eyes a few times, imaging Byron's suffering and Alfreds sorrow.
But this is more Alex and Paul's story, and it was a good story!
Of course there were misunderstandings, preconceived notions that were false (of course) and there really wasn't any question of how it would end, but I very much enjoyed watching them get there.
Shelby
I don't know what I was expecting going into this book, but what I got wasn't it. I was reminded of the first time I saw Disney's "Up" with how quickly Alfred and Byron's story got to me. I loved the introduction to these two men and Bryon's fate had the whole silent tear thing going from the start.

Then in came Alex and I wanted to smack him. Oh not for not being there during Bryon's illness, I understood that, it was his brazen stupidity when it came to Paul (egged on or not) that made me want
Macky
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely mm romance that does just what it says on the tin. The product description gives us exactly what the story is about and once you start reading its obvious how the story is going to end ,but for me it didn't matter that it held no surprises, as how you get to the HEA is a delight. The way Eden Winters handles Byron's passing is just right, not too sad or maudlin but poignant tender and very touching. I loved every character in the story, Byron and Alfred ( would have loved to ...more
Dee Wy
Author Eden Winters has combined two compelling love stories into a single novel. First, you learn about Alfred and Byron who have spent more than twenty wonderful years together and Byron has just passed away from cancer.

Byron's nephew Paul and Alfred's nephew Alex are about to meet for the first time for Byron's funeral. Their uncles were convinced that these two young men are perfect for each other, and Alfred promised Byron he would do everything he could to bring them together. Byron is not
agirlwithoutwings
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the first part of the book a lot! Alex was really bastard enough of a character I wanted to read about. I was also excited about the setting up which was aimed to make them lovers. But gradually I found that there were so many death wishes, wills, illnesses and even ghost appearances in the background. It got tedious! It wasn’t what I’d expected to be honestly. I also couldn’t buy Alex’s suspicions about Paul and his uncle and on top of that I couldn’t grasp Byron’s wish about their ...more
JenMcJ
Apr 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry. I wish there had been a little more scorchin' hot sex to offset that. :)

Still a great read even if I didn't warm up to Alex right off the bat and I thought Paul was a little too good to be true. In the end I knew them well enough to want them to find their HEA just like their uncles.
Snowtulip
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Dee Wyeth
Shelves: m-m
This book pulled me in with the first chapter and kept me captivated. The story is filled with sorrow, hijinks, growth, and love. Great read.
Elisa Rolle
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Jeff Erno
Alex Martin and Paul Sinclair are the nephews of a wealthy gay couple from Los Angeles. Alex is Alfred's nephew, and Paul is Byron's. When Byron dies after a heartbreaking battle with cancer, the young men, Alex and Paul, are brought together for the first time. Instantly they hate each other for they appear to be polar opposites.

Alex is materialistic and carefree when it comes to sex. He lives a high-class lifestyle and doesn't even attempt to conceal the fact that he's a snob and that he has
Cryselle
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, torquere, paranormal
This new to me author has provided an entertaining read that still manages to take a profound look at class, privilege, and responsibility. The two main characters, Paul and Alex, have a familial bond in that their uncles were a devoted life couple, and each hoped for a similar love for their nephews. The nephews aren't nearly as convinced as the older men about how right they might be for one another, leading to much chaos, confusion, and an all around good read. The opening scene is a funeral ...more
Mara Ismine
This was a fantastic story. Anything that can make me smile and cry in the same paragraph deserves 5 stars straight off. This book was as much about the Uncles' long-term relationship as the nephews finding their happy ever after. Love can spread a long way and affect many people. Tissues were necessary from the first page to the last for me. And now I want a prequel about how Alfred and Byron got together thirty-odd years ago!
Eden Winters
Feb 13, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
This book was originally intended to be a light, fluffy romance, providing a much needed break after the grueling emotional toll writing The Telling had taken. That is, until the opening scene took place in a funeral parlor. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, I discovered a certain joy in writing jerks. In the end I think Alex redeemed himself nicely.
Nicole
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was totally prepared to hate Alex. He was an ass. But he fully redeemed himself so I forgave his arsehole-ness. I shed a few tears (ok, a lot... But I'm one of those people who balls at baby commercials so it's excusable), and all in all it was a beautiful story.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, ghosts
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Paul and Alex are drawn together by Alfred (Alex’s uncle) upon the death of Byron (Paul’s Uncle), Alfred made Byron a promise before he died, that he would try to bring the two younger men together so that they could find the happiness that both he and Byron enjoyed. But, there is a problem; Paul hates Alex because of his playboy ways and for ignoring Byron as he was dying of cancer. Alex thinks that Paul is a
Lauren
This was a wonderful read, but I definitely found the first half rather frustrating! I didn't warm to Alex straight away, and found myself calling him all sorts of names at first. But... I did grow to love him. I began to understand why he acted the way he did, and I forgave his past mistakes because it became evident that he was just a lost, lonely man who yearned to be loved. By the end, I really did want him to find love and happiness, because I felt that he deserved it. Paul was lovely from ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A contemporary paranormal, this is the story of both Alfred and his recently deceased longtime partner Byron, and their nephews Alex and Paul, two young men who Byron always thought would be perfect together. Just before he passes away, Byron convinced Alfred to help him get the two young men together. Unknown to anyone, Byron's ghost lingers and he exerts some paranormal influence to create events intended to bring Alex and Paul to their senses.

Ultimately Byron's goal is met as Alex and Paul
Sheila
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Albert and Byron were lovers for over 30 years until Byron's death. They want to get their nephews together but the two men are totally different from one another and don't seem to ever be able to visit at the same time. With Byron's death they are finally under the same roof, at the same time. At times this is humorous as we get to read the thoughts of Paul and Alex. They are definitely at cross-purposes. I had an emotional attachment to the characters. I wanted to see Albert settled after ...more
Frances McNeal
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Amazing story! Eden again out did herself. The writing is wonderful and the story was so romantic, but I did shed a lot of tears especially at the beginning.

The story begins with the death of Byron, Alfred's long time love. Byron truly believed their nephews should be together and even after death Byron is working towards that goal. What I enjoyed the most was being able to clearly see how much Byron and Alfred loved each other. Alfred was truly lost without him. Then we have Alex the trust
Shaz
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, favourites, paranormal
The Wish is a truly beautiful story full of emotion. We are taken on a journey, visiting both ends of a relationship. Alfred and Byron's has ended by Byron's passing. Alex and Paul's hasn't yet started.

Although the story made me cry, it also made me smile. The ups and downs are very well handled and the paranormal aspect is very low key.

This book will definitely be re-read in the future...
Alex
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, romance
Stars: 3.5/5

Overall:
A touching tale of love and family, of being who you are and not what's expected of you. A story of trust, change and true love.

What I liked
Characters. They were good and likable, even Alex (the player). This story worked because the reader knows there will be a happy ending (we put that trust in the author) and we are not disappointed, bittersweet though it is. We get to watch the characters progress, which is the main focus of the story, and they overcome their challenges.

Mel Bradley
While the story is quite predictable from the beginning and set-up, it gets there in a somewhat realistic way. These two men do n0t finally meet and suddenly fall in love – they have several misunderstandings, jealousy, anger and the such, until they finally learn to build a life together, which each other.

The sex, once it happens, is hot – but be forewarned, this is not a very “graphic” read. The sex has a little bit of flair, when it finally arrives, but this book isn’t for someone looking for
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: The Wish by Eden Winters 1 6 Jul 21, 2012 07:38PM

• Bad Judgment
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers #2)
  • The Magician Murders (The Art of Murder, #3)
  • So Into You (The PI Guys, #2)
  • Fired Up (Fever Falls, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Exhale (Flesh and Bone, #1)
  • Murder Takes the High Road
You will know Eden Winters by her distinctive white plumage and exuberant cry of “Hey, y’all!” in a Southern US drawl so thick it renders even the simplest of words unrecognizable. Watch out, she hugs!

Driven by insatiable curiosity, she possibly holds the world’s record for curriculum changes to the point that she’s never quite earned a degree but is a force to be reckoned with at Trivial Pursuit.

The Wish (3 books)
  • Boy Under The Bridge (The Wish #2)
  • Valentine Wish (The Wish, #3)
“He was realist enough to know he might never find the life partner he longed for, and dreamer enough not to quit looking” 6 likes