Start by marking “Dark Waters (The Expedition, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Waters (The Expedition, #1)

Dark Waters (The Expedition #1)

He survived a terrifying crocodile attack off Australia’s Queensland coast, blood poisoning in the middle of the Pacific, malaria in Indonesia and China, and acute mountain sickness in the Himalayas. He was hit by a car and left for dead with two broken legs in Colorado, and incarcerated for espionage on the Sudan-Egypt border.

The first in a thrilling adventure trilogy, D
Paperback, First, 246 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by BillyFish Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Waters

Tricia
Aug 16, 2016 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a ride. If you want adventure with a hard look at what it takes mentally, physically, emotionally and spirituality to circumnavigate the globe using human power, this is the book for you. I like how honest Mr. Lewis is about his own limitations and the trial and tribulations that he faced.

It ended in a major cliffy but that's ok because I will be reading the 2nd in the series.
❆ Crystal ❆
Mar 19, 2016 ❆ Crystal ❆ rated it it was amazing
5 Crazy, emotional, riveting, hilarious, scary, unbelievable stars. I don't want to give away too much information about this book. It's great to experience it all first hand as the book tells it the best. This is for sure a MUST READ book! I hope to start book 2 soon as the journey continues.
My only wish for this book was there were some pictures included.
Tom Allen
Sep 01, 2014 Tom Allen rated it it was amazing
If the word ‘epic’ could only be granted only to a single feat of human resilience and determination in the context of an expedition, there’s little doubt that Jason Lewis’s would be a top candidate. In 1994 — the year I started secondary school, aged 11 — Jason, along with university friend Steve Smith, began an odyssey around the world that would take no less than fourteen years to complete.

The scale of the journey that unfolded was immense. The pair met at university during Thatcher’s reign.
Clive Mccartney
Nov 17, 2013 Clive Mccartney rated it it was amazing
The most remarkable non-fiction book I've read in a long, long time. Must, absolutely must read.
Tammie
Aug 18, 2012 Tammie rated it it was amazing
From Susan Reep: What an interesting story - and so well written! It's almost as if this guy pedaled a boat across the Atlantic Ocean by accident which makes him incredibly stupid, lucky, brilliantly talented, ridiculously naive, or a combination of the above. It's like when your friend says, hey, let's go camping and you've never been, have no gear, and are woefully unprepared but you say yes and somehow you figure it out - but this is so much more than camping. Your friend says hey, let's circ ...more
Oliver Neubert
Sep 01, 2012 Oliver Neubert rated it it was amazing
What an overwhelming story. It is not only about an incredible journey, but also about a deeper thought process, about finding what is really important in life and what life is all about.
"A human-powered circumnavigation of the globe ..." the endurance, the doubt, the pain and suffering, the suspence, the adventure is beautifully described in a nothing held back approach which brings the reality of the journey to the reader. But what really got me into this book was the question: "Life. How to
Jake
Dec 12, 2013 Jake rated it it was amazing
It should be no surprise that the first part of Jason Lewis' Expedition Trilogy is a thrilling adventure. If you have read the book's description, you should understand how exciting Lewis' journey has been. What is surprising - and what makes this book so worthwhile - is that Lewis is actually a very capable writer, and a fantastic storyteller. His prose flows with equal parts self-depracation, humility, and hubris, and his journey has as many laugh-out-loud moments as nail-biting suspense. Alon ...more
Julie
Sep 21, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, travel
Every journey is an opportunity for personal growth, so when I read a travel memoir, I want to know the opportunity wasn't wasted. Jason Lewis didn't disappoint my expectations. Reading "The Expedition: Dark Waters," you share the days of monotony and moments of terror as Lewis and his friend Steve Smith pedal across the Atlantic, then you see America through a Brit's eyes as Lewis continues westward on rollerblades. Along the way, he shares what went through his mind during all those days of tr ...more
Maggie Tumenbatur
Apr 18, 2014 Maggie Tumenbatur rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Look forward to read the sequence.
The Times said : " we see a man who is- as Mowgli put it in The Jungle Book- prepared to pull the whiskers of death."

And Jason Lewis tells us himself:
"When the way ahead is clouded with uncertainty,the safety net is gone,and every iota of logic is howling at you to give it all up and go home,that is the time to push on regardless,surrendering to the free fall of not knowing.for the universe has an uncanny habit of responding to such blond leaps in
Mar 09, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is the true story of the first person to circumnavigate the globe using only human power. Extremely underfunded, the first third of the journey (which this book covers), is fraught with obstacles, yet Lewis and his partner are determined and willing to do what it takes. What ensues is at turns harrowing, laugh-out-loud funny, and full of hard-won insight into human existence. Stories of true adventure are often worth reading even if not well written. Fortunately for us, this book was not on ...more
James Hanson
Jun 04, 2013 James Hanson rated it really liked it
Frank and captivating account of an incredible journey, at least the first part of the journey. The author comes across in a bit of a this-is-how-to-live-your-life arrogant way at times, but he certainly demonstrates the power of mind over matter in such an epic undertaking. His account is witty, honest and genuinely thought-provoking, particularly in terms of questioning one's purpose in life. Shame the rest of the journey hasn't yet gone to print!
Pekka Aalto
Jan 31, 2014 Pekka Aalto rated it it was ok
Shelves: meri
Written very dramatically, like it is cool to get in trouble. Who would go to round the world without spare parts? - Totally idiot. On the other hand it was not either boring.

Kirjoitettu liioittelevaan sävyyn. Vain uusavuton ihminen lähtee kiertämään ilman maapalloa ilman elintärkeitä varaosia. Toisaalta ei tämä nyt aivan pitkästyttävä ollut.
Cris
Apr 05, 2014 Cris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written but uneven. I especially enjoyed the text about the actual journey but there was a lot of preparation dealt with that was not particularly interesting or relevant to the story. If this is to be a trilogy I am guessing that one tightly written and absorbing book probably would have been preferable to most readers.
Dorothy Olivier
Jul 08, 2013 Dorothy Olivier rated it it was amazing
Dark Waters is a true story written by Jason Lewis, who is recognized as the first person to circumnavigate the globe via man power only. Not only is the story of the journey amazing, the book is a great read; sometimes funny, always insightful - highly recommended.
Heather
Mar 11, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Compelling adventure story that I couldn't put down evetually. I wasn't crazy about the rather disjointed and abrupt beginning but after that, I was all in. Great read! Be sure to have copy of volume 2 before finishing volume 1!!!
Deidre Link
Apr 18, 2013 Deidre Link rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
This author is a guy I would like to get a beer with sometime - funny, and adventurous (such an understatement!). But I thought the middle of the book dragged a bit (while they were crossing the Atlantic). After reading until the end though, I'm curious to see what happens next!
Simon Apps
Jul 15, 2015 Simon Apps rated it it was amazing
Indescribably inspiring. Left me on such a huge cliff hanger I refuse to read the 2nd book until the 3rd comes out. Can't wait to buy the whole trilogy and I can go through the adventure all over again.
Susan
Sep 05, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Jason Lewis is such an inspiration! Loved the book....I couldn't put it down! I look forward to book two's release
Barbara
May 16, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Inspirational, well worth a read.

In my opinion the only improvement to this book would be some photos.
Karla Wade
Mar 27, 2016 Karla Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating story

Wonderful story...well told with lots of humor. It was if I was right there with the story teller. Looking forward to the next book
Dani
May 25, 2014 Dani rated it it was amazing
So good I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read Part 2!
Robin Thompson
Aug 04, 2016 Robin Thompson rated it really liked it
I came across this after reading Pedalling to Hawaii, interesting to read another perspective on the same journey.
Jamie Whiteley
Aug 26, 2015 Jamie Whiteley rated it liked it
Crass, but hilarious...Jason is truly an adventurer.
Brigette
Joimson
quite remarkable
Julia
Jul 19, 2013 Julia rated it did not like it
Only read the first 50 pages. The author is constantly whining about how hard everything was combined with praising himself for getting through all this. I found this extremely boring.
Angie Casazza
Angie Casazza rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Adrianna
Adrianna rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Mark Romaine
Mark Romaine rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016