Start by marking “Project Hope” as Want to Read:
Project Hope

Read Book

Project Hope

In the Zones, a troubled society walled off from the outside world, nineteen-year-old Dylan lives in the crossfire between rampaging gangs known as hoods, and tyrannical government guards.

Trapped in a brutal reality, he confronts the helplessness of his situation the only way he can—through his art. By day, he takes on the role of protector, caring for his little sister, L
Published June 17th 2012 by Plastic Paddy Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Project Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Hope

Sandra "Jeanz"
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW
I was sent a mobi file of this book to read by the author. He had heard about my blog from another author who I have worked with and loved her work, Shalini Boland.
The cover is simplistic in that it has a backdrop of graffiti art, with a black circle for the title and author. I don't know whether I like it or not. To be totally honest, if I saw this one on the shelf, it would not be the first book I picked up because of the cover however, when you read the book, the cover then makes se
Christina
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review is going to be a little different from all the others I have written, so please bear with me.

The reviews I post are a little different than the ones I keep. The reviews I keep on my computer begin with the exact description of the book, usually from Barnes and Noble. Then I write my summary of the book and that is what I use to begin the review I post. I am parting from that with this review because this time it actually makes a difference.

I do not remember how I came across this boo
Marni
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book centers around 19 year old Dylan and the life he's had to endure the past two years and presently. The eldest of two children, his family was put behind the wall the seperates those who are free and those who are in the Zones. After a virus swept through the Zones, Dylan is not only the big brother but protector of his young sister Lil. The wall in this story reminds me a lot of the Berlin Wall. In fact Dylan, who is an artist, depicts the warden of the zones as Hitler in one of his pi ...more
Between the Bind
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 Stars from Between the Bind

Project Hope was sent to me by Sean Joyce after winning a fellow book blogger's giveaway and I was so excited to add another YA Dystopian to my bookshelf.

Dylan's day begins with taking Lil to school, a run down apartment of a former teacher where the younger kids gather to practice reading and writing. But, that's all they have now. He reminds Lil to keep her eyes down and keep walking until they get there, not drawing attention to themselves because someone is alway
Jo
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Project Hope centres on the lives of brother and sister Dylan and Lil. The siblings live in the Zones. The Zones is a society that has been walled off from the rest of the world. It is ruled by guards who more than a little enjoy the power they have over the lives of the residents. Also in the Zones are the Hoods, gangs that run riot over these same residents.
Life is a constant battle to stay out of trouble that comes at you from all sides.
Dylan has only one outlet, his art. He sneaks out at n
Melissa (Asarelah)
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Post-apocalyptic fans
I was gifted a copy of Project Hope by the author, and really appreciate it! This was a great novel with a good plot. It was well written and polished, which is very much appreciated in an author's first novel. Joyce leaves quite a bit up to the reader's imagination, which some people either love or hate. I think I am just neutral on that.

The story takes place in the Zones, where tons of people have just been closed in to live in horrible conditions for no apparent reason. Obviously, some apoca
Anastacia
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
I just received this book from the author, who kindly sent me a review copy. It had what I felt to be a bit of a slow beginning, because the themes in this book are not my usual cup of tea.

Overall I enjoyed this book, especially the ending, which I didn't really expect. At times the book is very dark & despairing, but it's well written. I liked the fact that there weren't a lot of main characters, so you could really get to "know" each one of them.

There were a few things I didn't really ca
Ray Daley
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
My review of Project Hope by Sean Joyce.

This is the story of Dylan and his sister Lil, struggling to survive in The Zones. These are walled-off blocks of flats, isolated after a flu-like disease outbreak to protect the outside world. It tore apart families and left behind the stark Dystopian reality of those not much older than kids themselves looking after younger siblings or older family members like their friend Oscar.

The Zones are terrorized by the brutal and racist Hoods run by Silo & L
Derek
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: topia
A well written and edited book, but ultimately the story let me down.

One night a Berlin-type wall goes up around the "Zones". Inside the wall, life goes on much as it might have done in the Warsaw Ghetto during World War II - right down to the daily commute of slave labourers to work in outside factories. Now, ghettoization is nothing new in human history, and the fact that this happened isn't unreal - but why did it happen? We never find out. Why does nobody outside the Zones care? In Warsaw,
Jacqui
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author as a gift for review, this has not influenced this review in anyway!!!
this book is really well written Joyce took great care editing, this is one of my biggest pet peeves small errors can break the flow of the story when you (I) have to stop and mentally "fix" the error. I had not interruptions due to errors. The characters were well developed Dylan the main character was very dimensional I felt like I was his shadow going through everything with him. The onl
Olivia
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this for a book club (another member knows the author), and I thought it was much better than I expected. It's not in a genre I tend to read, and it is not the best book I read this year, but I enjoyed reading it. It was a bit formulaic and predictable, but the characters were generally engaging/sympathetic. There were a few flaws in character development and in a few of the fight scenes, but overall an engaging read.
HeiDi Dowding
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book! Very character and relationship-centric, the main character's relationship with his sister is the absolute best part about this book. Wonderful for teens- focuses rebellion and becoming independent, while also pushing the importance of character and individual action.

Jade Gray
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very quick but fascinating book. It has a fantastic insight of civilizations being stranded and blocked from actual cities. This is truly an original story with original characters. I would highly recommend this book to readers of all ages. Fantastic job.
Jessica Edwards
Jade Rhose
Oct 13, 2013
Ivan
Mar 28, 2015
Sean Joyce is a 31-year old British writer currently living in Toronto. When he's not writing, he's usually hopping from one country to another.

He is the author of the novel, Project Hope.