Start by marking “The Silver Falcon (Das kupferne Zeichen #2)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Falcon (Das kupferne Zeichen #2)

The Silver Falcon

(Das kupferne Zeichen #2)

Despite his mother's insistence, young William knows he is destined not to toil with a swordsmith's hammer in his hand, but rather to stride the open country with a falcon on his fist. And when he rescues a magnificent bird of prey belonging to King Henry himself, the boy finds in His Majesty's favor a golden opportunity. Neither the stigma of a clubfoot nor the powerful i ...more
Published June 4th 2013 by AmazonCrossing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Falcon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Falcon

Jo Barton
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story opens in England in 1184, and even though eleven year old Will is the son of the famous swordsmith, Ellenweore, he has no interest in learning his mother’s trade. What he would really like to do is train falcons, and so when he inadvertently rescues one of King John’s falcons, he uses this as an opportunity to persuade the king to let him become an apprentice falconer. What then follows is a coming of age story, set during the tumultuous reign of King John, and which simultaneously evo ...more
Laura Warden
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mix of history and fiction.

I read this book out of order sadly, and will now need to find and read the first and last books in this trilogy.
I love romance books about medieval English, Scotland, etc. . Although this book seemed a bit dry and complicated, I continued reading getting more involved in the book as I progressed.
A detailed story of lives and events of the main characters got me hooked in a short time span. I will get the other two books.
PREETINDER SINGH
Great read

Light and beautiful story of a kid and his adventure to become grown hawk trainer while past narration adds the relic flavour...
Richard
This book was amazing and easily one of my favorite reads of the year.

The level of detail is excellent; the author does a fantastic job of bringing the medieval world to life and fills every sense. The detail is never too long and doesn’t take too much time away from the story. There is no indication that this book has been translated from another language and is better worded and constructed than most of books.

The detailing on many aspects of the characters lives is also very well described, fa
Ashley E
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
In the sequel to The Copper Sign, it's time for young William to shine. We've seen how hard Ellen can be on him in the previous book, but William all the stubbornness and ambition of both of his parents, and he is not going to be content with life as a swordsmith, no matter what the "signs" or his mother may say.

Ever since Sir William Marshal came and spent the day showing young William his falcon, he has been fascinated with the birds. Much like his mother, he has a dream and refuses to give up
Victoria
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I usually hate reading a series out of order, so when I started this second book in a trilogy, I felt quite nervous. But, amazingly, I never once got that nagging feeling that I had missed something vital in the previous book, The Copper Sign. Perhaps because the first book focuses on Ellenweore, a female swordsmith of great renown, and and this sequel is the story of her son, William, and his ambitions to become a royal falconer.

The book opens with a young William, unhappy in his travails at t
Buchdoktor
Als ältestem Sohn der Waffenschmiedin Ellen scheint Williams Weg zum Schmied vorgezeichnet zu sein. Doch der Elfjährige lässt sich nur widerwillig in der elterlichen Werkstatt in East Anglia ausbilden, Williams Traum ist die Falknerei. Weil William einen verletzten Falken findet und zu Hause versorgt, kommt es zu einer schicksalhaften Begegnung mit König Henry II und dessen Falkner. Doch bevor William seiner Bestimmung folgen kann, führt Katia Fox ihn auf verschlungenen Wegen während seiner Lehr ...more
Bob H
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second of a trilogy set in England in the late 12th Century, but the story stands well on its own. It follows the main character, William, from age 11, apprenticed in a swordsmithing trade that he disliked, with aspirations to be a falconer. Accidental meetings with an injured falcon, and with the nobility that owned it, and William's story is well under way. It follows his progress through young manhood as he pursues his ambition.

The author has done convincing research, and not just
Angela Smith
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about her illegitimate son, William. William FitzEllen is a young boy who wants nothing more than to be a falconer, his mother has her heart set on him following in her footsteps. After some tussles of will, Ellenweore (his mother) & his stepfather Isaac send him to another household and he gets to learn his hearts dream. Things will not be easy for William as he has to overcome his deformed foot, as speed for a falconer is important.

He apprentices with a firm, but fair man
Anthony
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, novels
A Review by Anthony T. Riggio of The Silver Falcon by Katia Fox.

This is the second book in a trilogy of life in the middle ages and the conflicts between the lower classes, primarily the struggling craftsmen individuals and the aristocracy. It follows the family of Elleweore, in the Copper Sign, a woman Sword maker par excel-lance who has a son sired by a Knight of budding importance. The Silver Falcon follows this saga into struggles of Elleweore's illegitimate son William whose ambition in lif
Devyn
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this Book from Goodreads.

Once again I will say it. I hate writing reviews for books. I know my every awkward word painstakingly typed out with fumbled fingers could never correctly and justly describe a book and all that it gives me. I will try anyway, because the more reviews I write the likelier it is I get a new book and there is absolutely nothing better then receiving a new book.

When I received and began to read The Silver Falcon I had no idea it was a second in a series. I didn'
Jay
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
**Thankyou to NetGalley and the publishers for this copy

I don't know where to start with this, or even what to say at all really...

at times this feels like it drags out a little bit, but at the same time I don't know what could have been left out. we're following William through life from a very early age, through all his struggles, and triumphs. quite similar to his mother's story in The Copper Sign, but also very different.

it's also a look into the life & times of 12th/13th century England
Michele
Sep 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Monica
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the historical account of William as he grows up and lives primarily during the reign of King Richard II. He has been born to a female swordsmith, yet he desires to be a falconer. Follow William as he works hard, makes friends and enemies, attains goals and failures.

Aside from some portions being a bit verbose, the writing is crisp and heavily detailed giving the narrative authenticity and period realism .

The characters are true to life which is seen through their actions and dialogue. A
N.R. Tomasheski
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
This is the tale of William FitzEllen's rise from unwilling smith to King's falconer, with many obstacles along the way.
It's a compelling story, with lots of well-researched historical detail. Some of the sad parts were very sad indeed, but never gratuitous, always moving the plot along. Characters had depth and complexity, and I rooted heartily for the hero and dearly hoped for the villain to be punished.
Translation and editing were good.

Though this was the only book of Fox's that I've read, I
Elizabeth Jane
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Lost in translation maybe???

While I mostly enjoyed this story and learning about falconry, I couldn't help but notice that the verbiage is presented in an incredibly juvenile fashion. It read more like a middle schooler's language arts project than an adult novel. Also, while I understand that quite a bit of time was being covered throughout the novel, I wasn't fond of the instances where a "loose end" was tied up summarily without real detail. There were times this happened that felt rushed and
Melissa
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silver Falcon (follows The Copper Sign)

Ellen's son, William is who we follow in this volume. He loves birds not the forge and off he goes to flow his dream. These books are deeply reasearched. The details and descriptions made me feel like I was there. My problem and reason for 4 stars was the intense violence. That may be due to this being a German novelist, we in the US tend not to have that level of explicit as the norm.
Carol
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action packed

Katia Fox is a new author for me and The Silver Falcon won't be the only book of hers I read. There is some thing in this book for everyone, action, romance and just a good all around story.
Amanda Trevino
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
when i received this book i just could not stop staring at it. The cover is so amazing but the inside was even better
Jane
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great read with elaborately developed characters and believable descriptions of falconry ..However felt let down by the predictability of the storyline.
Rishabh
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
was skeptical first... but this is a great read. describes life under british kings, their practices with a story of a young boy and his struggle to the top. full with suspense. enjoyed it !!
Alexandra
Aug 14, 2013
Peter Gregory
Sep 25, 2016

• Hiobs Brüder
  • Sword of Light (Jake Thomas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Heart of the Lion
  • Der Judasfluch
  • Enoch's Device: An Epic Medieval Fantasy (The Dragon-Myth Cycle #1)
  • Märzgefallene (Gereon Rath, #5)
  • Die Pilgerin
  • The Tree People
  • Call Your Daughter Home
  • Die Spur der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #2)
  • Corfe Castle (The Gilded Mirror #1)
  • Aethersmith (Twinborn Trilogy, #2)
  • Prince of Time (Chalice Trilogy, #3)
  • Das Buch von Eden
  • Hagen von Tronje
  • Dream Stone (Chalice Trilogy, #2)
  • Die Löwin von Aquitanien
  • Shadows on the Aegean (Time Travel, #2)
born in 1964,
proud mom of three great kids
grew up in Germany and Southern France
studied french language and literature
graduated as translator and interpreter
worked in different companies
began research about medieval history in 1995
started writing historical fiction in 2000
first published in 2006

sold more than 400.000 copies

translated into english, spanish, russian and other languages...

Das kupferne Zeichen (3 books)
  • The Copper Sign (Das kupferne Zeichen #1)
  • The Golden Throne  (Das kupferne Zeichen #3)