Start by marking “The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)

The Audition

(Seraphina #0.5)

The Audition is a free prequel to Seraphina available online. It takes place a few weeks prior to Seraphina, covering Seraphina Dombegh's audition to become Viridius's assistant and thus Glisselda's music tutor.
Published June 19th 2012

Start your review of The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in reading Seraphina
Shelves: 2012-reads, prequels
Oh my goodness, I'd forgotten how much fun it is to read about Seraphina, her dragon-tutor Orma, and plucky Princess Glisselda. "The Audition" really gives a great showcase of a few of the characters who appear in the full-length novel Seraphina, and this short story made me smile throughout because I love these characters and their world.

For anyone interested in reading Seraphina or even those unsure of trying it come its July 10th release date, please give this short story a read and see how
Veronica Morfi
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A small prequel about the Audition of Seraphina to get the job as the princess's personal music teacher. It is a cute reminder of why I loved Seraphina so much. Rachel Hartman managed to filled even these few pages with humour and intelligence.
Sarah DiMento
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Seraphina is one of my favorite books of all time so naturally I loved this charming little prequel! Even if you haven't read Seraphina, I would recommend reading this as it offers a glimpse at Rachel Hartman's spectacular writing and her amazing characters and will surely convince you to read the book!
Crystal Starr Light
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a short prequel focusing on Seraphina Dombegh's audition for the position of assistant music director at the castle.

If you are even considering readiing Seraphina, I highly recommend this first. I felt it was a great introduction to the characters, to the world, without all the build-up you see in "Seraphina" (which could very easily scare you away before you even get to the good stuff). But no worries for people who are already familiar with the world; I found the story different and in
Olga Godim
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This short story was charming and funny. A prequel to the novel Seraphina, it introduced several main characters of the novel: the titular character Seraphina, her music teacher, dragon Orma (in his human skin), the grumpy royal composer Viridius, and the mischievous Princess Glisselda. The story is about Seraphina’s audition for the position of the princess’s music tutor. I smiled from start to end. ...more
Steph Su
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
Oh, this is the perfect complement to SERAPHINA! Everything that I loved about Rachel Hartman's novel is here: Seraphina's spiritedness and intelligence, Glisselda's ineffable energy, the smattering of perfectly executed humor that charms you and draws you into the story. Those who haven't read SERAPHINA yet may consider reading "The Audition" to get an idea of Rachel Hartman's talented writing, while those who've already read and loved SERAPHINA will squeal over this opportunity for just a litt ...more
Armina

A nice short story about Seraphina's audition to get the job as the Princess's personal music teacher. You could read this before Seraphina but may be it's best read after when you already are connected with the characters. Here we get acquainted with our MC - Seraphina, this little devil - Princess Glisselda and catch a glimpse at Orma(Seraphina's music teacher) and Viridius(the music Master). Although the story is quite short the author manage to fill it with her beautiful writing, hu
Cecilia
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars Really amusing reading.
Jessica (Books: A true story)
Cute, fun story of how the princess and seraphina meet. I also loved seraphina’s approach in getting the princess interested in music. She got to know her and showed her how music related to her. As a music teacher, I found it so lovely.
Rain Misoa
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Seraphina and people who love badass princesses!
Recommended to Rain by: GoodReads
Shelves: must-own
This was such a cute fun read! Ever since I first heard about Seraphina, I always wanted to read it. It had everything I could ask for, really. Fantasy and dragons! So! I went to the library and got the book. However, there was a certain novella I had to consider first. The Audition is a prequel to Seraphina so I decided I should read this first before I dive in to the heart of the story. And I am glad I did!

This is a very short, very cute little introduction to the world of Seraphina. It is bea
Emm
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'm going to say it. I think these silly little filler stories are absurd. On principal alone, I never read them. Unfortunately for me, these "between the number" books keep popping up in all my challenges for this year. What's that about? The completionist in me had to swallow my pride and begrudgingly find some fillers to finish my challenges and, well, here we are...

I had not read any of the Seraphina series prior to reading this tiny prequel but I can tell you that I'm eagerly looking
Bara
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-original
2012
Oh boy, just what, 19 pages of prequel and I'm already fascinated by the story. This short story throws you right in the middle of a wonderful world filled with good-looking and intelligent if misshievous princesses, new view on dragons and with a witty heroine who sometimes jumps to conclusions too fast but learns from her mistakes quickly.

I so must read Seraphina one day.
***
2017
I'm reading Seraphina right now so I thought about refreshing my memory with this small but delicious morsel. It
Katie
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So I've just been hearing about Seraphina the last few days. And, today, I saw Edna add this to her shelves and, well, free prequel to a book I want to know more about it? AWESOME.

Anyway, I really loved it. Short stories are hard to rate, but I thought it was a great story in itself, I got a great sense sense of the characters and its left me eager to read the book, so FIVE STARS IT IS.

Also, it's a complete story in itself, which is something I really appreciate. If you want to read it, it's rig
Yui
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably a bad idea since the release date is like an eternity away but what else can I read after being tempted so thoroughly?

UPDATE:

Well that was revealing. It sure help me decide if I should get a Hardcover copy or paperback. I do hate hardcovers. Too bulky, heavy and just a pain in bed readings but I sense great things for this novel so let's have the longer lasting copy that I can display and admire after.
Frannie Pan
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: z-2015, novellas

It was only 17 pages but it had me hooked!

A short prologue introducing us to this world. All I can say for now is that there's a musician as the main character, Seraphina (which is just great and oh so appealing to me!), a deadpan dragon called Orma and a little pain in the ass but way smart and creative brat of a princess that I foresee will cause so much trouble.

The premise is good. I'm curious to see where all this will take me!
Zaz
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Seraphina fangirl inside me totally raved while reading this short prequel. It was so good to come back to this world and to spend some time with Seraphina! The Princess was a piece of mischief and it was fun to see what she had in mind, the dragon was great too, even if he didn't have a big spot here. The story is a sweat complement to the 1st novel, giving some insight on how Seraphina became a music teacher, and it's faithful to the world and the characters, which is really nice.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

Available for FREE here:

So this one didn't quite live up to my memory of it, but it was still delightful. The Audition is a prequel short detailing the principessa's shenanigans during Seraphina's . . . wait for it . . . AUDITION.

Viridius and Orma are there too.

Trisha
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
"It has been war, Seraphina."

This is a great prequel. Intro's some characters, gives you a taste of the story. But it also introduces some great interest in the story. It's a pivotal moment and I'm excited to read book 1 one and see how it all plays out.
Kathleen Dixon
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful little short story about how Seraphin got the job as Music Assistant and tutor to the princess.

(Free here)
Marita_z
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marita_z by: Helena
Me likey! Me likey very much!
Carolyn
Short story included in the hardcover edition of Seraphina.
A cute prequel story.
Torzilla
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute little piece! It contained everything I fell in love with while reading SERAPHINA, and it was such an unexpected teaser that it made me want to reread SERAPHINA as soon as possible.

For those who loved the first book in this series, you will love THE AUDITION. Seraphina and Orma's interactions held more meaning to me after learning about the two in the novel. I found it humorous, to boot.

For those who were not too crazy about SERAPHINA, I am unsure if this short story will a
Brittany S.
Initial Impressions 3/25/15: Yay! That was delightful. A happy reminder of why I love these characters. Glisselda's erm.. spirit was so much fun to see in action again and since I love her friendship with Seraphina in the book, this made it even better.

Mini-review originally posted on The Book Addict's Guide 4/22/15: I really just adored SERAPHINA so I was delighted to see THE AUDITION in the end of my book when I finished! I really appreciated this story because it was an extra glimpse at the
Crystal
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fast, fun read set prior to the events of Seraphina in the same world. I wasn't expecting much from it, as it was just the story of Seraphina's audition with the master prior to the events of Seraphina, and I hadn't read Seraphina in quite awhile. But I ended up enjoying The Audition very much. The princess was more obnoxious and spoiled than I remembered, but Orma was his same calm, logical, almost autistic (or Vulcan) self. The master was also much as I remembered. The story reveale ...more
Dani
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story, dragons
Fantastic little piece that I wish I had read before starting Seraphina. It may be short, but it provides foundational character development for Seraphina, Orma, Viridius and Princess Glisselda. I love Seraphina's approach to problems, her dry humor. I loved seeing how she and Orma interact, and what their relationship looks like on a normal day. I love Glisselda's spunk and stubborness, and Viridius's gruff nature and the way he speaks without a filter. And I love Rachel Hartman's beautiful, de ...more
Keertana
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In the short few months that I have set down Seraphina, it seems I have forgotten just how delightful the world Hartman has created is, not to mention the depth that her characters contain - one that can be seen and witnessed even in a short seventeen page novella. The Audition is the perfect complement to Seraphina, outlying the unconventional manner in which Seraphina becomes the tutor to Glissenda. It is a must-read for all fans of Seraphina and will undoubtedly make you itch to read the book ...more
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chelsea
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, dragons, novella
Princess Glisselda is delightfully more impish than I had come to understand in "Seraphina." Chasing off all her Musical Teacher candidates. Very cleaver, that one.

This was such a neat little snippet about how Seraphina came to be in the castle as the Music Mistress. It seems as if she was destined to be there all along. Even Viridius was rooting for her to make it (not surprising, considering what we know from the first book).

I hope you get the chance to pick up this little story and partake in
Shaheen
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A cute novella chronicling Seraphina's audition to become Princess Glisselda's music tutor, highlighting Seraphina's sense of humour and unique way of handling weird situations, Gisselda's wily and strong-headed nature and Orma's distance. Although dragons do not feature prominently, Rachel Hartman whets the appetite and gets readers excited about her wonderful new world.

I wish Prince Lucian Kiggs had a cameo, but we can't have it all *sigh*
Caroline
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
A cute, short little prelude to Seraphina. This shows her first first encounter with Glissenda, and was entertaining and charming. After having read Seraphina, it was fun to go back and see how the relationship started, but it's simple enough to be read and enjoyed by anyone who wants a taste of Hartman's writing before diving into 450+ pages. This of course doesn't give justice to the more complex novel, but it's a good introduction.
the maze scene? 2 21 Nov 03, 2014 08:33PM

• The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)
  • The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (Grishaverse, #2.5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: But You Can't Hide
  • Angel Catbird, Volume 3: The Catbird Roars
  • Angel Catbird, Volume 2: To Castle Catula
  • A Nearer Moon
  • Beneath a Meth Moon
  • The Trouble with Hating You
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • De laatste laddersport
  • Vill inte, vill
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • ヴァニタスの手記 1 [Vanitas no Carte 1] (The Case Study of Vanitas, #1)
  • The Touches
  • Whale Rescue (Mermaid Rock)
  • Spooky Shipwreck (Mermaid Rock)
  • Treasure Hunt (Mermaid Rock)
Rachel Hartman lives and writes in Vancouver, BC.

Her first YA fantasy novel, Seraphina, was published by Random House on July 10th, 2012. Here are some things that are already being said about Seraphina by some fabulous authors:

“A book worth hoarding, as glittering and silver-bright as dragon scales, with a heroine who insists on carving herself a place in your mind.” — Naomi Novik, New York Times

Seraphina (2 books)
  • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)