Start by marking “Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)” as Want to Read:
Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)

Spirit and Dust

(Goodnight Family #2)

Daisy Goodnight can speak to the dead. It’s not the result of a head injury or some near-death experience. She was just born that way. And she’s really good at it. Good enough to help the police solve the occasional homicide.

But helping the local authorities clear cold cases is one thing. Being whisked out of chemistry class by the FBI and flown to the scene of a
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 387 pages
Published May 14th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,500 books — 12,271 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,572 books — 11,039 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Not as good as the first book, Texas Gothic… Which was charming and quirky, and filled with oddball secondary characters and a wonderfully wacky family. Whereas Spirit and Dust was very much a standard YA novel with none of the eccentricities of Texas Gothic. There was nothing that was memorable or delightful about it. It was the usual girl with power + run of the mill mystery + two hawt boys. It wasn't bad, it was just disappointing because I was expecting so much more than
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Indiana Jones/Night at the Museum
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Myself (well, actually I went to a booksignng where the author was talking about it and I was like must. get. now.)
To see full review click here.

So, a couple of years ago I went to a book signing by Texas Gothic which was by one of my favorite authors, Rosemary Clement-Moore. During the signing Rosemary talked about the book she was working on which was supposed to have an Indiana Jones meets Leverage vibe and I was like I have to have that book. And, well, now I do. So, I guess I have to review it.

There are several things I want in YA books. This book has it all. Let me list them shall I 1) kick ass
Rebekah
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was just your all around fun, adventure, mystery with just the right amount of romance book. Where the female character is fun and sarcastic. I LOVE IT!

Daisy is not your typical girl in this book. No, she is a gothic. But not your Emo gothic, she is a snarky, loving life, loves her craziness kind of gothic, and it was so much fun to read.

I love the flirtatous relationship between Daisy and her FBI agent. I like how he calls her Jailbait and she calls him Agent Tasty. They have a great
Tammie

I was pretty disappointed in Spirit and Dust. It's a companion novel to Texas Gothic but it was nothing like Texas Gothic. All of the things that made me adore Texas Gothic were missing in this book. This book lacked the charm that was present in that one. There were no
Misty
4.5 Snuck this one in in-between review books because I remembered how much fun Texas Gothic was; do not regret.
And yes, I know snuck is not a word. You can pry it from my cold dead lips.
Susana
WOW!!
Review to come!

I think I've come out with the perfect title for this review, on my BL page. I believe I will call it: Jackals and Jackasses...
And yes, there is a perfectly good reason for it! ;)

It has been quite some time now _ a few weeks at least...which in the bookish world, translates to AGES! _ since I've loved a story this much!

Although the last part of Texas Gothic (the first in this series ) was amazing in showing the author's talent, _for me _ Spirit and Dust is so far, the real
Sandra
Jun 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
I liked the start of this book, but then 10 pages in it went from 4 stars to 2 then quickly 1.

Most disappointing read this year...

Next...
Inês
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of people didn't like this book! And the same happens with Texas Gothic ! And I seriously don't understand why! I did a buddy read for Texas Gothic and I was the only one who enjoyed it. So weird.

I really like Rosemary Clement-Moore's writing. When I start a book of hers I can't put it down!

Characters:

The Goodnight family is fabulous. And I really want there to me more books about them, so I can meet more of their family! They're always such kickass heroines!

Daisy can see dead
Robin (Bridge Four)
“I was not supposed to end up freezing my ass off in a remake of Harry Potter meets The Italian Job by way of Fargo.”

Texas Gothic was so interesting that I decided to read more about a different member of the Goodnight family, Daisy Goodnight. I really liked the idea of a family peppered with psychics, mediums, kitchen witches and other paranormal oddities. It started out pretty strong but at the end turned a little bit too much into a Night at the Museum meets The Mummy for my taste.

Daisy is a
Nafiza
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Rosemary Clement-Moore is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. While I have not loved all her books, I have liked them all and found in them a joie de vivre that works so well for me. Her protagonists are always so spunky and even when they have their share of insecurities and flaws, they are always easy to relate to and likeable. I remember Daisy from the Texas Gothic and I remember thinking that she had a colourful character about whom I wouldn’t mind reading more about. I got my wish in ...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Daisy can talk to ghosts, or ‘remnants’ as she calls them. For this reason the FBI like to use her for certain tough cases, even if she’s not overjoyed about it!
Now an 18-year-old rich girl – Alexis, has been kidnapped, and the only witness is her body guard who was shot and killed during the kidnapping.
Who kidnapped Alexis? And can Daisy find out before it’s too late?

When I first started this book I thought it was much better than the first one in
Mel
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a good book. Daisy was a character that you meet in Texas Gothic and I thought she was pretty awesome in her own story. Daisy was really spunky and I loved her sense of humor dealing with all of the craziness that she and Carson encountered along the way. Carson was the guy that Daisy was made to work with when she was kidnapped by a crime boss to find his missing daughter. Carson was a really mysterious character and it wasn't always clear what his motives were but he was a ...more
Heather
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Rosemary Clement-Moore. Do you hear me RCM? I love you. You are one of my top five teen authors ever. Everything I ever want in a book you provide. Mystery, adventure, suspense, magic and crazy awesome chemistry with a fierce heroine and a hot, flawed hero :) Every one of your books makes me so very happy. And I love the Goodnight family dearly! I wish I was a Goodnight! Daisy was spectacular! Aunt Ivy was my favorite though :) perfect follow-up to Texas Gothic.
Tecoya Brantley-Williams
Mar 22, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: never-reading
Boooo! There's no way I'm reading this! Why? Bc I've read it before, this is Darynda Jones' series! I understand that ideas can be redone but I loved the Davidson series soooooo much that I'd only be comparing it, constantly, and Ms.Jones set the bar pretty high
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Cousin Daisy is back, and this time in her own book! We saw a bit of her and her awesome ghost-related powers in Texas Gothic , and we a lot more of that in this one!

Daisy works as an FBI consultant—her psychic/ghost-seeing abilities really come in handy when solving murders. However, this most recent case is different. This time, the FBI enlist Daisy's help in a kidnapping, which is totally not her thing as she deals with the dead. But she goes along with it,
Natalie (Natflix&Books)

Read this review and more like it on my blog: Natflix&Books

I really liked Rosemary Clement-Moore's Texas Gothic. I really hadn't known what to expect going into the book when I picked it up a couple of years ago. At the time I was having some serious paranormal overload and wasn't expecting too much, and so was pleasantly surprised when I ended up really enjoying the book that followed a young witch, Amy (and her sister, Phin) who's part a long-line of kitchen witches, the Goodnights. Amy
K. Lincoln
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Take a wise-cracking, goofy-nickname giving, almost-18 girl with the power to talk to dead people and throw her into a mafia don's hunt for his daughter kidnapped by a brotherhood obsessed with a Eyptian cult and what do you get?

You get a fun, romantic, snort-through-your-nose funny romp through museums, car-jackings, and nerd references galore.

Daisy Goodnight gets pulled into an FBI case, but it quickly turns whacko when a mafia mobster coopts her to find his missing daughter with his gorgeous
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It didn't take me long to remember why I loved Texas Gothic so much, and the crazy wackadoos that are the Goodnight Family once I picked up this book.

Daisy is so the kind of heroine I love. Smart, sarcastic, fierce, brave, and just plain and simply, good.

Throw in magic, ghosts, gods, and a whole lot of danger and mystery and this read was just so much fun. Throw in a little sexual tension in the way of Carson and this read was almost perfect.

Can I talk about the sarcasm? I love sarcasm, there
Cassidy Washburn
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-copies
*4.5*

I loved this book! It was a lot better than I thought it would be. The characters were amazing especially the main character Daisy. She was so sarcastic and funny that I caught myself laughing out loud at times. Carson was also great. I loved the fact that he and Daisy acted so cold to each other but you could totally tell they had feelings for each other ;) Another character that was awesome was Agent Taylor, Daisy's partner. I loved their relationship and how she didn't hide the fact that
Liz Jager
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Clement-Moore has done it again. I have read all her books and irrevocably love them all. I handsell copies of The Splendour Falls to all and sundry in bookshops and Texas Gothic is my go-to book for a feelgood read.

Her characters are so well developed, the stories are wild and over the top and she never loses control of them, ever.

There's always a supernatural element involved but it never ever feels onerous or dull. I never skip paragraphs because her world building is so well
Nicole Wolverton
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am officially a fan of Rosemary Clement-Moore. The day before I read this book, I worked a 14 hour day. I went back to work the next day, did another eight hour stint, and then cracked open this book, intending to read for a few hours and crash hard. Instead, I ended up staying up until midnight to finish the novel.

I quite like Clement-Moore's use of the Goodnight family for this series, yet each book is a standalone, too. In this case, we're talking about Daisy Goodnight, one of the family
Lauren Mcmullen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love Rosemary! Can't go wrong here, I laughed out loud repeatedly at descriptions, and couldn't put it down. My one complaint, I want MORE Daisy and Taylor stories, more cases and more relationship with Carson! This needs to be its own series....and I want more Amy from Texas Gothic too, this is just ripe for a long, wonderful set of mysteries and snarky heroins!
katayoun Masoodi
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
was so looking forward to this and therefore the two stars, though if there a few more chapters i think i would have settled for one! that said i would definitely read another of goodnight books and hope that it's going to be better, way better than this. lovely family, awful story!
Susan
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya_paranormal
I think this series is aiming at being romantic suspense for YAs.

I would not forgive Carson. He had way too many opportunities to reveal information that could have prevented the crisis.
Laura Martinelli
Texas Gothic was one of my favorite books a few summers ago, and once I realized that it was going to be a series, I got really excited. Even the small glimpse that we got in the first book of the extended Goodnight clan was awesome. And then I read that book 2 was going to focus on Goodnight cousin Daisy, teen psychic who pops up to help solve the mystery of the McCulloch Ranch. Yes good. (Also good? You don’t need to read Texas Gothic to set up the plot of Spirit & Dust. Sure, the first ...more
Frances
This review was originally posted at: http://francesandlynne.wordpress.com/...

“It didn't matter, because he was an employee of a criminal enterprise and I was an FBI consultant and, oh yeah, technically kidnapped and probably in the throes of some kind of Stockholm syndrome.”
Daisy Goodnight, Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Cement-Moore

I entered a free giveaway on GoodReads and was lucky enough to win a copy of Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore. When I entered the competition, I didn’t
Marlene
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok

It's been a few years since I've read Texas Gothic (which I loved), but I don't remember being super interested in Daisy's character when she made her brief appearance in that book, so I was kind of surprised she was getting one of her own. Now that I've read her story...well, I'm still not that interested. She was alright, but nothing about her really stood out to me.

It took a while to get into the book, but once I did, it went by pretty quickly. I was prepared to give it three stars right up
Diane ~Firefly~
Daisy Goodnight works with the FBI who use her ability to speak with the dead and her life is about to get way more interesting.

What I enjoyed:
* Loved Daisy - she is dealing with a lot of stuff and manages to always do her best for the overall good
* Carson is great and purposely cryptic
* There is a mystery behind this all and it was intriguing with lots of twists and turns. (view spoiler)

What
Kristen
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book once I got into it.

It is apparently second in a series which is not marked anywhere on the book. I did not know this when I was reading this book. So I guess the good thing about it is that you can read and enjoy this book without reading the first one. You won't be too confused as it doesn't seem that the first one is referenced THAT much (though I didn't read the first one so maybe it does).
Jasmine
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ir-books
I thought the book was okay. It was kind of boring. In the book, a girl named Daisy Goodnight is trying to solve this case on a girl named Alexis McGuire. The thing about Daisy is that she can talk to the dead. Her father kidnaps her and is forced to look for a living girl. I didn't like this book because it was very slow to read.
Hi everybody! Welcome! 1 4 Oct 15, 2015 10:01PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2) 1 1 Sep 22, 2013 10:30AM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Picks: Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore 1 6 Jun 19, 2013 01:18PM

• The Dead and Buried
  • Chime
  • Paper Valentine
  • Need (Need, #1)
  • The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold
  • If It's Not Forever. It's Not Love.
  • Full Tilt
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark, #2)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • A Certain Slant of Light (Light, #1)
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die, #2)
  • The Murmurings
  • Warrior (The Dragon King Chronicles, #2)
  • Famous Last Words
  • Keep This to Yourself

Goodnight Family (2 books)
  • Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family, #1)
“I glanced at Carson, who had promised things would be alright. His gaze was on the floor, and a muscle in his jaw flexed rhythmically but unhelpfully. If he was trying to send me a message, I was out of luck, because I'd never learned Morse Code for Assholes.” 9 likes
“Taylor: what do you hear?
Daisy: Nothing but rain”