Start by marking “Nero come il ricordo” as Want to Read:
Nero come il ricordo

Nero come il ricordo

Hayley è felice: anche se è sola nel bosco, e il papa si è allontanato per capire meglio cos'era quel grido terrificante laggiù, ora c'è un pagliaccio che le viene incontro. Hayley chiede al pagliaccio se è stato papa a mandarlo: lui conferma, e insieme si avviano nel folto della foresta... Hayley viene trovata decapitata e carbonizzata un mese dopo. Passano vent'anni: la ...more
Paperback, Le foglie #83, 400 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Marcos y Marcos (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Nero come il ricordo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nero come il ricordo

Start your review of Nero come il ricordo
Paula
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been almost twenty years since Caroline’s 5-year-old daughter, Hayley, was kidnapped and later found murdered. Caroline is now remarried, has a teenage son and an 8-year-old daughter. Suddenly unexplained things begin happening—Hayley’s clown doll which went missing when Hayley was abducted, reappears; Caroline thinks she hears Hayley’s voice calling for her; people connected with Hayley’s kidnapping case are being murdered. Has Hayley come back from the dead, or is this the work of some ...more
Poonam
I read this book a long time ago but I still remember how it gave me the creeps.
There were times while reading this one I felt someone is standing behind me and I used to get the chills.
Good story line, very well written!
Marie
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a super quick, super easy read with an absorbing mystery, this is it. Everyone is suspect and that is a rare thing for an author to be able to do, in my opinion. There is usually a set line between the characters who may be suspect and those that are definitely suspect. Not so in this book. I had a hard time putting this book down and ended up reading it in just two sittings. I am loving this author.
Laura Poppins
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I've read and loved every book written by Carlene Thompson, but this one is one of the best. I've just finished it and I can't stop thinking about it.
It is an easy read and a brilliant mystery.
Veronique
Wolfie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 star.
Diane Morasco

First time novelist Carlene Thompson proves she is definitely a star on the rise in this deliciously plotted chiller. Thompson pulls no punches showcasing her high caliber writing gymnastics & leaves her imprint for those iconic writers in the suspense/thriller genre.

Thompson saturates Black for Remembrance with brilliant, interesting & frightening characters that are not just placed there as “red herrings”, but are key to propelling the delicious goose bump inducing novel forward,
Rakshya Khadka
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Absolutely loved it !!!! You can't help but love this book. It's been written beautifully. The way the book turns out at the end is spell blinding. I read this book when my exams were on my head, but you know what it's worth it. I recommend it to anyone who loves thriller.
Horace Derwent
the cover is a clown doll sitting on a bunch of black orchid, which has a fiendish and cute smiling face
Alyce Rocco
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Was not sure if Carlene Thompson's, Black for Remembrance, was a murder mystery or supernatural novel, which is why I was loathe to put the book down when real life stuff forced me to do so.

Even though I was not sure, I figured something out, but not the details of how it was possible until the end of the book.

A minor flaw on page 156. "Chris set Hecate on the ground...." Hecate, the cat. Soon they entered the home, and "...Hecate jumped from Chris's arms..." I reread the preceding paragraphs
Gayle Noble
The writing was ok but I don't know where this praise for the surprise ending came from. To me it was obvious who it was almost from the start.

I also found it very pedestrian in using the *hysterical woman trope* where everyone disbelieves the main character and views her as being 'overly emotional' because naturally after twenty years she was suddenly going to go off the deep end for no reason. Talking of which, (view spoiler)
Diane Saul
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been 20 years since Caroline Webb’s daughter Hayley was kidnapped and found dead a month later. Now she has a new life, a husband and 2 children. Strange things start happening when it would have been Hayley’s 25th Birthday.

This was a great book the first time I read it years ago and was well worth revisiting. This is a very well written compelling read. It is fast paced and I couldn’t put it down. No one is beyond suspicion. It will have you looking over your shoulder. This is a great
Elizabeth
Well this book was written quite a long time ago (late 80's) and it kind of shows but I did keep reading it even though it was essentially obvious who had done the original crime from the moment the character was introduced. Some of the other characters were a bit annoying with an accent but whatever. There was the current crime still left to resolve. And it was short - which it's nice to sometimes read a book that doesn't seem to take a lifetime to finish.
Christy Wv Tate
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. I can’t give it 5 stars just because I couldn’t get behind some of the subject...

This book has triggers- child kidnapping, abuse.

I could not figure out the ending....

Who is stalking Caroline? Or is she having another breakdown like she did after Hayley was kidnapped and murdered? Her husband, David thinks so. She tells Hayley’s father, her ex husband Chris and he isn’t so sure he believes her either... but then the doll, the calls.....

Read to find out...
Heather Herron
The story was good. I had a hard time getting through it though. Maybe because it was in the 3rd person? Maybe it was because she bounced from so many people's perspective? I'm not sure. Ultimately it was a good story though.
Denise Owens
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery thriller! With each turn of the page, you want more. I won't give away the plot, but if you enjoy being a detective as you read this is the book for you. You will not be able to put it down, until you know the truth.
Lucy Briggs
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucy by: Author coming to town
Shelves: mystery
Author is speaking in town and this is a book I found on Overdrive.
I don't like creepy stories with clown dolls. After Ms. Thompson's talk tomorrow, I may try another.
Gail Lewis
In my opinion this is the best C. Thompson's book
Shannon
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
A great page turner.. Which had set on a bookshelve ignored for way too long.
Karen
Caroline Webb is a mother of 2 (a teen boy and an 8-year-old girl) and a wife to a doctor, whom she once worked for when she was married to her 1st husband.

Twenty years prior, Caroline's world was rocked as her 5-year-old daughter, Hayley, was taken from her family. In the present day, people somehow connected to Hayley are being frightened and even killed.

This was an okay murder/mystery novel. There was one point where I suspected everybody, even husbands and ex-husbands. I felt somewhat sorry
Angie crosby
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex, suspense
Good book. Bothersome in that it could be true. Not too farfetched in this day and age. Well written and it flowed very fast. An I can't put it down book. Bothers me the thought that it could happen. Still I liked it. The revenge nature of it when looking back knowing the killer is great. It's been 19 years since Carolines daughter was murdered, the killer never found. She has a new family now. When strange things begin to happen on what would have been Hayley's 25 birthday Caroline realizes ...more
Gen
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd book of Carlene Thompson's that I read. I liked it enough, though The ending was not as surprising as I had hoped. Though to be honest, it could also just be because I've already ready a whole lot of crime/ suspense books. I did appreciate that the narrative was written from the POV of the potential victims, not the cops' nor the killer's. It's easy to read, and I finished it in a few hours -- and this, I also appreciated. There were moments I found the writing style a little ...more
Dawn
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book sounded intriguing but then found that it was not as good as I would have expected. Certain things bothered me but one thing in particular--what police officer divulges every detail of an open case to people who are supposed to be suspects? That occurs in this book and after that I was not about to take anything else seriously. Poor attempts to make the reader think that everyone is a suspect except the actual murderer. I had the book figured out very early on. ...more
Sherry
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read this book since I first saw Hayley’s cute (yes, cute) little clown doll perched on top of a handwritten note that said ‘black for remembrance’ tucked into two black orchid flowers. One of the best covers I’ve ever seen, personally.
The story however, was very predictable. I figured it out about a quarter of the way through but carried on. Hoping I was wrong. Hoping a great twist was coming. Which it never did.
This is one of very few books I have not kept after reading.
Stephanie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read of Carlene Thompson.

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to be into, with the beginning talking about super naturals and ghosts being the antagonist. But WOW am I glad I kept reading!! Carlene drops great clues to her mystery thriller, but still leaves you with a handful of possible, but maybe not possible suspects.

I am looking forward to reading her next one.
Jessie Shelton
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the third book I have read by this author, and this is my favorite so far. Very suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. It only took me about 4 days to read this book because I couldn't put it down! Lock your doors and check under your bed. This one is going to freak you out!
Angie Rhodes
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Just the right amount of creepiness to keep you listening for odd voices in the night,, Caroline, can hear a voice, a voice she should not be able to hear, a voice calling out from the darkness. " mummy..mummy" over and over again, a voice that sounds like her daughter Hayley, but it can;t be can it? because Hayley is dead, murdered years ago,,
natalie
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, I go back to reading older books and most of the time find them so much better than newer books. How times do change.

This book held me from the first page to the last. I like books where I have no idea of "who done it" and this one certainly had that. Mystery and suspense at its best.
Anthalya
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
I was really looking forward to read this book again, since It was 11 years ago and I never got to the end.

It was exactly that exciting as I can remember.

Though some things can seem like they're stolen from some low-budget film, It kind of takes a turn once you realize that this is a mind trick and not some paranormal shit.

I enjoyed reading It.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Le manuscrit inachevé
  • Il respiro del sangue
  • Quello che non siamo diventati
  • Les Nymphéas noirs
  • Ninfa dormiente (Teresa Battaglia, #2)
  • Appointment with Yesterday
  • Woman on the Edge
  • Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)
  • Heřmánkové údolí
  • They Called Me Leni
  • Der Seelenbrecher
  • You Can't Hide (Romantic Suspense, #5; Chicago, #4)
  • Herr Lehmann
  • Aurora nel buio
  • Pretend You Don't See Her
  • The Boy Who Granted Dreams
  • The Ordeal: My Ten Years in a Malaysian Prison
Carlene Thompson is an author of suspense thriller novels.

Her first book, Black for Remembrance, was published in 1990 by Little, Brown and was well received. Her books are suspense novels, often with romantic elements and many take place in Thompson's home state of West Virginia. Her books often feature animals, which she bases on animals she knows in real life.