Start by marking “Miricle in Seville” as Want to Read:
Miricle in Seville

Miricle in Seville

James A. Michener, one of the world's most popular authors, returns to Spain, the setting of his bestseller Iberia, with this magical novel of Seville at Easter time -- a season of splendid pageantry, thrilling bullfights, and deep piety. And, of course, miracles.

An American journalist is in Seville on assignment. He is to report on efforts the rancher Don Caye
Paperback, Large Print
Published October 17th 1995 by Random House Large Print

To ask other readers questions about Miricle in Seville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miricle in Seville

Lauren Hiebner
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A short story by Michener, he describes the bullfight culture in Spain. He reveals the spiritual influences both good and bad pitting the Catholic Church against the Gypsies of Tirana. I can relate having been in Seville, in the church of Tirana, and having attended bullfights. There is something majestic and mystical about bullfights. This was a fun read with a surprise at the end.
Karen Jett
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MIchener fans, those who like bullfighting, those who like Spain
Since James Michener passed away, I have been saving this book as there are so few of his books I haven't read...I liked having one on my bookshelf waiting for me.

I enjoyed this book as it is a delightful and fanciful story. But, having read most of what Mr. Michener has written, it is more of a short story than a book. So, if you've ever wanted to try reading James Michener but were afraid of the size of his books, this is a good place to begin.
Juliet Ke
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few Michener books that I could read in less than a decade. I tried to read 2 other books of his and though I like his perspective, they are incredibly slow going. This one was far less painful.

Not a topic I’d expect to be into at all ... but he drew me in.

Definitely worth the read.
Chelsea
Mar 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of bullfighting
Shelves: favorites
The 26 drawings by American matador, John Fulton are an added bonus.
Oct 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story about a ranch owner's mystic relationship with his bulls and his dedication to restoring honor to his family in this Spanish tradition.
Bill
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever been interested in the who, what, why, when, and how of bull fighting (a little less of 'who'), this book will pretty much walk you through the steps. I was ignorant of the entire process, and this book made it very clear (and graphic). The story within was 'different', but helped keep the entire story interesting.
Bill
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only a beautiful study in bull fighting, it provided the cultural significant tied to both religion and mysticism. The story had such depth of legends of both bulls and matadors. A connection between both of them and displayed through the formal ritual of centuries long observance.
Joyce
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The magical world of bullfighting and the honor the raisers of the bulls take on when they have great Linage, Can even led to magical happenings. A little unusual for Michener but interesting.
Bob Spears
Cute little story. Bit of a twist at the end.
Inger Faherty
Slow moving, awkward narration style. Too much background, not enough story.
Laronda Blessing
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, mystical read. I learned a lot about bullfighting--and never want to see it--and the characters and story are quite compelling.
Christopher Ramsay
Short story (103 pages) about bull fighting in Spain. A little bit out of my normal interests, but worth the time.
Tom
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man gives up soul to restore family honor; and that's no bull!
R.K. Cowles
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-novella
3 3/4 stars
Suzanne Keetch
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short read, but very interesting. I feel like I know much more about bullfighting than I ever did before and may even want to attend one day.
Mary
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale of life in charming and historic Seville Spain.
Dave
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The descriptions of both Seville and the bullfighting make it worth it--the prose is worthwhile and the story engaging.
Robin
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
A friend loaned me this book because she knows I like James Michener. After witnessing a bullfight in Spain when I was young, I had to agree with Tom Lehrer that, “I hadn’t had so much fun since the day…that my brother’s dog Rover…got run over…” I suspected that there was more to bullfighting than met the eye, even though such a sight will never meet with my eyes again. I was fairly successful at laying aside my prejudices to enjoy this short (for Michener) book.

Simple yet beautiful
Lynn Alan Heath
I usually like James Michener even though his books may have something I disagree with (Chesapeake begins with the assumption that evolution is fact, if I remember the book correctly). Miracle In Seville is filled with Catholic false doctrine. Not only that, but there is some Bible quoting that is just inaccurate quoting (the Scriptures do no where say that "Jesus had resurrected and risen to heaven" nor do they call Mary "the mother of God"). I was disappointed by such a lacks regard for the Bi ...more
Alex Teixeira
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently wanted to buy a copy of this book for a friend and discovered that here in the United States, the book is out of print, though you can still find "new" copies in a few places.

An American journalist travels to Seville on assignment and he's to report on efforts a rancher is making to revive his once-proud line of bulls. But the story discovered goes deeper into life's mysteries as it shakes the newspaperman's skepticism and opens his eyes to the wonder of faith.

I have the
Ron
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A relaxing few hours of reading about Matadors & bull fighting in Spain.

As I was wondering around Newport Beach's Main Library looking for something that I have not read, I was surprised to find a book by James Michener of only 107 pages. Although not an epic like his other books, this was captivating and brought back memories of my visits to Spain.

The ink sketches by John Fulton are excellent and add to the character of the book.

David E.
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed the book, and the way it painted such moving and ultimately tragic characters in a short and simple tale. It's a quick read and although I found the "miracle" to be something of a disappointment, the joy in this book is getting to the climactic end as opposed to the end itself. Even the characters you are suppose to hate emerge as surprisingly complex by the final pages, quite an accomplishment for a novella of 107 pages.
Shannon
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Normally I go to great lengths to avoid any book described as an "epic saga" (a typical description of a Michener novel), but Michener's writing is so compelling that I am willing to read something that would normally bore me to death. In this case, the topics of bullfighting, gypsies, and veneration of Mary hold little appeal for me, but Michener made them interesting. And I'm glad he wrote a book I could finish in four days!
Rosie
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bull fighting explained - how the bulls are bred and raised and the pride of their strength and honor.

The author meets up with the breeder, Don Cayetano Mota, and understands how he believes in his bulls and sometimes is one with them.

The actions of the bull fight are explained with honor.

Excellent short book.
Jackie
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I really liked about this book was the beautiful binding, the pages, and the illustrations. The ink was a brown, and every page was a wonder to read. I saw there is a second volume to this book, so I will find that in hardcover as well.
Mike
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably Michener's shortest work, but still very strong by my standards. It says anyone who can attend Holy Week in Spain should do so -- you never know what you're missing by not being there. It could be quite a lot.
Kelly
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michener told the story of three bull fighters, their etiquette in the ring, and their technique to kill. It also shares the experience of a bull breeder who watches his bulls fight in the ring courageously or humiliated by the matador.
Gaynelle Gilbride
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I found this book at a book sale and found it to be amazing with the history of raising bulls and the events behind this. Great book read and learn from.
Katie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting book. It made me miss Seville and its Holy Week so much. Great illustrations, too.
Janet
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story wasn't that good but it did have some interesting information about bullfighting in Spain

• Amarcord: Marcella Remembers
  • No Vulgar Hotel: The Desire and Pursuit of Venice
  • Quarantine
  • Band of Brothers (Richard Bolitho, #3)
  • Blue Jacket: War Chief of the Shawnees
  • John the Pupil
  • The Marines of Autumn
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • Homage to Barcelona
  • Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • Spain
  • The Sea Beggars
  • Assassin's Shadow
  • Spartacus: Rebellion (Spartacus, #2)
  • The Latter Fire
  • The Unknown Shore
  • Isabella of Castile: The First Renaissance Queen
  • The Hermetica of Elysium (The Elysium Texts, #1)
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for the year's b