Start by marking “Plague (Gone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Plague (Gone, #4)

Plague (Gone #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  41,977 Ratings  ·  1,869 Reviews
It's been eight months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

They've survived hunger. They've survived lies. But the stakes keep rising, and the dystopian horror keeps building. Yet despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach.

But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away, and in
Hardcover, First Edition, 492 pages
Published 2011 by Harper Collins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Plague, please sign up.

Blair I'd have to go with team Sam. I like him a lot better than Caine so far.
Sarina I guess I always thought it was Astrid and Edilio. I thought Drake would look more intimidating and less scared.

Gemma
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
POST READING UPDATE:

Why do I do this to myself? Even as I was checking it out from the library, I was berating myself for my lack of common sense. Checking out a book I am fully aware will terrify me...

And it did. Not as much as the others, because I read it quickly and in the daylight, but I have the feeling I'm going to be checking the far corners of my room for glowing green lights and being freaked out by the lightbulb on my smoke detector...

Honestly... were this any other book, it would ha
Emily May

This book pretty much completely overruled everything negative I may have said about Lies. The last book seemed like the series was running out of juice and I found it impossible to believe that Grant could sustain the story throughout the 3 more books he had planned. But alas, all is forgiven and Plague was pretty much awesome, apart from some of the same old annoying factors that got on my nerves before in Gone and Hunger. Books 1 and 2 built up this overall plot about the radiation effects f
Alli
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMFG. this was amazing. i loved it. great character development, action-packed plot....just wow.
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
For the most part, Plague was just as entertaining and action-packed as its predecessors.
To be honest, though, I'm starting to have an issue with the determined length of this series.
You see, I kind of wish this series would only be 5 books, instead of, like, 6. Knowing that there are (at least) two more books to go before any kind of resolution hits is rather exhausting.
I loved Gone and thought Hunger was very well-done, but starting with Lies, the series started to take on an almost soap-opera
Mitchel Broussard
My favorite ongoing series of the past couple of years continues with Plague, and proves that the first three books were no fluke. This is just as action-packed, jaw-dropping and lightning-paced as the first books. And a TON bloodier.

So it's been eight months since every adult disappeared and the impenetrable dome descended on the sleepy town of Perdido Beach. Throughout fires, horrid blood-baths, mutating monsters, and freak evolutions in the kids, the town has survived. The very unstable soci
Rachel
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh....
I read the first book of the series and loved it. Second, a tad less. Third, I started to hate the characters and find some mistakes in the writing. And now I'm just reading it to see how it ends. I mean, it's a good book, it just has a lot of stuff going on.
Things that bother me:
1) The amount of characters. He just keeps throwing them at you! There's so many that when they reappear in the story line I have to text my friend so she can remind me who they are!
2) In this book, Brianna was s
Emma  Hoke
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plague, out of all the four Gone novels, was definitely the most graphic and harsh, but very realistic. The thing I like about Michael Grant is that he doesn't gloss over stuff, but dives right into it-- the characters, the plot, the drama, was all perfectly detailed and well- written. I like how the author goes between different kids in all his books, because it lets the readers get a good feel of what everyone is going through. The kids were all very relateable, to me, with all their strengths ...more
Cisz Strasters
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Het verhaal word echt steeds beter, gekker en bizarder!!!! Tot 1:15 liggen lezen vanacht, boek MOEST uit! Wat gebeurt er met Pete? Drake is terug?! Wtf is er met Hunter aan de hand (echt jeuk gehad tijdens het lezen)? Knapt er nu eindelijk eens iets in Astrid? En nutella!!!

Zo genoeg om jullie nieuwsgierig te maken, en nu lezen!!! Hup!
smoreads
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My, how I love the Gone novels. If you haven't given these books a try yet, they come with my highest & most sincere recommendation. They are fast-paced & high-intensity, but at the same time, incredibly thoughtful books.

However, out of all the four novels, be warned: Plague wins the gross-out award, for sure. Let's just say that the "plague" is not your average virus (and tbh, it isn't even the least of the kids' worries). The must-look-away-CAN'T-LOOK-AWAY horror of Plague achieves so
Taylor
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book yesterday...it only took me two days to read all 492 pages. And believe me when I say, this was one of the best uses of paper and ink ever!

Warning: there are a TON of spoilers!

I've been anxious for this book to come out since the minute I finished "Lies," which, at the time, was my favorite of the Gone series. Sorry, "Lies," but you have been replaced by "Plague" as my new Gone series fave.

With non-stop action, crazy plot twists, confusing relationships, freakish bugs,
Hannah
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three words to describe this book... No, scratch that. Three words to describe this entire series: violent, melodramatic, and drawn-out.

This book was pretty much exactly like the other books. Things go from bad to worse, of course. More minor people die, the main protagonists continue to live, and new issues continue to present themselves. No new ground is made in breaking out of the FAYZ. But this entire plot follows along the same exact freakin' lines as the other books. Yeah, the hurdles are
Brittany Grace
Nov 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The first book in this series was amazing and one of the best books I've read. Sadly, this series seems to be one in which the quality of the book declines with each sequel. This book was entirely too graphic with the descriptions of the plague and the bugs. I did not appreciate that; in fact, it made me sick to my stomach at some points and I had to put the book down for fear of losing my lunch. I realize that Michael Grant is trying to be realistic with the types of problems these characters w ...more
Mel
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this for about 2 years, and I enjoyed it, but THANK GOD THAT'S OVER.

This was by far the worst of the books in this series so far. I couldn't bring myself to ever read it so I resorted to listening to it. I really do enjoy this series but I just wasn't feeling this book at all and it was not my favourite.

I also wasn't in the mood for this book but I really needed to finish this. Glad it's over. I think I'll wait a bit before continuing the series because I'm not in the mood for
Ayesha Syed
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think there are no more sickening, stomach-twisting, nauseating ways to kill someone/ die, Michael Grant steps up his game #HowToBuildACareer.
Ishy
Oct 04, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just to clarify (because I WISH Michael Grant would!!!)

The guy on the back is NOT Zil and is NOT Drake. Drake is blond with grey eyes as observed by Orsay in HUNGER. Zil is not INDIAN!
SANJIT!!! is on the back of LIES. Look to pg 98-99 of LIES. It says, and I quote, "Sanjit Brattle-Chance was fourteen years old. He was tall, thin, slightly stooped, with black hair down to his shoulders, laughing black eyes, and skin the color of caramel."
He is INDIAN but grew up in Bangkok, Thailand.
*sigh* Someti
Adam
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AGH!!!!! I NEED THIS BOOK! THE COVER LOOKS AMAZING!
Epizeuxis
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: have read the previous installments.
4 1/2 stars

The general consensus seems to be that Plague is a superior sequel to Lies, which many fans see as the weakest installment in Michael Grant's series thus far. I read both with this in mind, under the assumption that my opinion would end up being similar, if not identical.

And, wouldn't you know it? I ended up loving the latter more than the former. Go figure.

To be honest, I feel that this series may have peaked with Lies. While Plague is an excellent follow-up, it feels more like a m
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
It's been over two years since I last read this book, and re-reading it reignited my love for the series. Most kids would agree that they grew up with Harry Potter, but I guess I am a late bloomer because I didn't start really growing up until I picked up the GONE series.

The kids in the FAYZ have been beaten, starved, and lied to, all they need now is a plague to help them cough their lungs out. Perfect, don't you think? Every time I read a book in this series, I'm still amazed at the things Mic
Micah
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: micah-s-faves
THIS IS THE BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BOOK OF THE SERIES SO FAR!

After a mediocre and disappointing Lies(ugh), Plague redeems the series and brought what I loved about Gone and Hunger and combined them into this great installment.

Pros:

Caina---You naughty couple you. And look what happens to Diana at the end :) This should make Fear an interesting installment.

Human Crew---They were great in this book but my issue is that given all the supernatural elements of the series, Human Crew provided a n
Vicky N.
As Stella would say: "Oh my Gaiaphage!"

I knew Michael Grant was EVIL, but never has his evilness reached such levels. So many questions, no answers & a WHOLE year ahead until it's sequel. *hyperventilates*

Plague as it's predecessor is full of fast-pacing, killing action. The FAYZ has never before been in such more trouble. Everything is backwards, Sam & Astrid, Diana & Caine.

Although this book was awesome, I can't help but feel it sort of precedes something BIGGER. And I know that if
Anne

About halfway through the book I started to wonder if this was going to end up being the equivalent of that tv show Lost.
At first, I really liked Lost. I mean, it had that cool mystery/sci-fi sort of vibe that kept me coming back for more each week. My love affair lasted a couple of seasons, and then faded away.
Why?
Eh. The plot started to drone on and on, nothing made much sense, and it seemed like the producers were just going to milk that cow until it went dry. Poor cow.
Anyway, tha
Zara
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HOPE SAM AND ASTRID DONT HAVE A KID!!!! IT WILL TOTALLY RECK THIS BOOK I WILL CRY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE PLZZZ DONT LET ASTRID AND SAM HAVE SEX PLZZZZZZZ I HATE ASTRID SHE IS USING SAM SO HER AND HER LITTLE BROTHER L.P ARE PROTECTED!!! SAM CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER!!!! I HOPE ITS CAINE AND DIANA OR SOME NEW KIDS.... MAYBE IT COULD BE LANA AND QUINN... IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF LANA AND SAM GOT TOGETHER... HAHAHA PLZ DO NOT HAVE A KID SAM AND ASTRID IT WILL TOTALLY SUCK I WILL NEVER BE COMPLETE AND M ...more
Jill Crosby
It's getting harder and harder to care about what happens to the characters who are struggling to surviv in the FAYZ (Fallout Alley Youth Zone). Hamstrung either by their depravity or slavish adherence to a strict moral code, the survivors of the "Great Poof," Sam, Astrid, Edilio and the rest are caught, as usual, in a gore-filled battle to maintain survival mode in a place that is literally throwing everything nasty at them. I was ready for the end by about page 100, and I'm thinking about skip ...more
Tiernan Bertrand-Essington
My favorite of the series! Loved it. SO MUCH.
Nelline
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Grand is een meester in het scheppen van sfeer!
Alicia
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES**

My god I love the Gone Series. After devouring and loving the previous three books - Gone, Hunger and Lies - I was more than eager to get my hands on Plague, and I finally spotted it at my library! You’d think the six-part series would steadily be getting worse by now, but that is most definitely not the case – if anything it gets better and even more gripping as the kids become more desperate to survive…and ill; because illness is striking
Mike
Rating: 4.5/5

Wow. I'm finding it hard to walk away from that book with any feelings other than 'impressed'. Also, 'scared as fuck'. I'm not sure if this is the best book of the series so far, because nothing can match the sheer skill of the plotting and writing in Hunger, but this was certainly the most extreme. Everything about the series - the darkness, the nightmare fuel, the mysteries, the complexity in the plotting - was amped up a notch. Grant's books have always been a pretty unique readi
Rachel
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as an ARC from Goodreads.

Let me start with saying that I like this series, but I'm not an obsessed fan. I think they're okay and I want to know what's happening, so that might create a little bias on this review. I also get a strange chuckle out of it. Children dying shouldn't be funny... but I laugh. Messed up? Probably.

All the characters are back (at least the ones who haven't died) and the drama is even more dramatic. A plague (duh, read the title) has come and is killing kids wi
Justin
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"So this is how you destroy us. This is how you kill us off. The old-fashioned way: plague."

It's been 8 months since the adults disappeared. Gone.

The kids of Perdido Beach sure are tough. Surviving Hunger. Surviving Lies. But will they survive this Plague?

A fatal illness that's highly contagious is spreading throughout the town. People coughing their insides out. At least one dying every day. An illness even Lana can't cure. Will anyone even survive?

Meanwhile, giant bugs are starting to terror
If you were in the FAYZ, what would your power be and how many bars would it have? 47 148 Feb 10, 2017 11:58AM
Bookreads :): Plague (Book 4) 1 4 Dec 29, 2015 08:00PM
Cover Characters?!?!?!?!?!?! 92 379 Mar 24, 2015 06:12PM
Class of 2015: Plague 2 7 Nov 26, 2014 01:51PM
  • The Fear (The Enemy, #3)
  • Away (The Line, #2)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
  • The Chaos (Numbers, #2)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
Okay, trying this again. Goodreads lost the bio I just spent 30 minutes writing. So now it's just going to be incoherent rambling. Yes, the earlier draft was also incoherent rambling, but way better.

I'm the co-author or author of about 160 books, including the ANIMORPHS series, the GONE series, the BZRK series, the MAGNIFICENT 12 series (Mommy, make him stop saying series!), the MESSENGER OF FEAR
More about Michael Grant...

Gone (7 books)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
  • Monster

“Okay, look. I get it. You're one of those people who thinks they have to help screwed-up people. Or maybe you're attracted to dangerous, unbalanced people. But listen up: I'm not Edward and you're not Bella" - Lana” 220 likes
“The gaiaphage. That's the other word they use. 'Gaia,' as in world. 'Phage,' as in a worm or something that eats something up. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say I don't think something that calls itself a 'world eater' is a good thing.” 144 likes