Start by marking “The Dream Team Nightmare” as Want to Read:
The Dream Team Nightmare

The Dream Team Nightmare

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Can you solve The Dream Team Nightmare?

Today is your first day at Love Inc. You've just been introduced to your new team as their Agile Coach. The team calls themselves The Dream Team. You are responsible for coming up with a plan to get the team back on track to achieve their project goals.

Shortly after the initial product launch, The Dream Team was set a challenge by the
ebook
Published June 6th 2012 by Leanpub

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Team Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Team Nightmare

Olaf
Portia's Adventure places itself among the most compelling and intriguing "business novels" that I have read so far. The message is so well wrought into the narrative flow that you barely notice you are learning a lot. And you do:
The style of making assumptions, validating them to keep track of what you learn and plan to do is that of an effective change artist. Ivana Gancheva calls this "Validated Influencing".
To explicitly identify options, defer decisions to keep options open, not only makes
Sergey Shishkin
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
People learn best from stories. This book is a good story, packed with a lot of advice for agile teams, managers and coaches.
Chris
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was really a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, there were some interesting ideas, and I did find the narrative structure to be more engaging than a straight non-fiction treatment might have been.

But on the other hand, there were things about it that were maddeningly bad. For one, the dialog is the achingly horrible kind common to the saccharine business/self-help books ("Who Moved My Cheese" et al). Also, when the most common "choice" is "to continue the adventure, turn the page", claimin
BookDevourer
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The book started off really well and was very interesting at the beginning but it slowly got boring to the point of making me want to skim the paragraphs just to get to the next page. Learned a few things which I hope I can implement in my projects. The best part about the book was the interesting style of narration, making you navigate from one end of the book to the other depending on which option you choose after completing a story - found it very engaging that way.

The book apparently has 8
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interested in getting your feet wet in the world of Agile project management?

So was I. My office is dabbling in an Agile migration. We have been a classic waterfall development process since dirt was invented. New blood however brings new process. As my teammates began getting excited, discussion increased and I quickly found myself lost in the mixture of paradigms and language. The last time I used the word Epic was in relation to video game companies. Waterfall? I know you should never chase
Venkatesh-Prasad
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book tells the story of an agile coach (you) as decided by you. Depending on the choice you make at the end of each section/chapter, you are directed to the next section/chapter. While I was interested in knowing the outcomes based on different choices, there is no easy way to get a glimpse of all the choices and corresponding outcomes and compare them.

Not my cup of tea.
Luis
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recomendable, pero sólo para gente que use o sufra Scrum en su día a día.

Se lee muy rápido, y el formato "elige tu propia aventura" encaja perfectamente en un libro con vocación más didáctica que narrativa. Lástima que pasado cierto nivel el camino "correcto" resulte evidente.
Nathalie Karasek
Great book! Just completed my "first run" ... This book is fun to read and very helpful by giving a lot of inspiration and guidance. Thank you so much :)
J. Calvin
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Choose your own adventure is a fun and nostalgic way to make your way through this coaching story. I am happy to have chosen to read this digitally (.pdf on OS X), as I could follow links to continue with the adventure as well as go back after a misstep (command+[ in preview).

However, I only give the book 3 out of 5 stars based on the tools and exercises. You are given a very brief overview of each exercise as a participant would. In the vein of "the perfection game", to make this a 5 of 5 inste
Spowers
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and fast read that really focuses on key points for agile thinking. I think that it is a good book for anyone on an agile team, from dev to management because it can be read over a few days and is not a huge time investment. Since it is written as a story instead of in a textbook like style it can also make for evening reading for a few days. The biggest take away was really about the discipline needed for the basic concepts of agile. I picked up several reminders of things that I ...more
Graham Lee
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dream Team Nightmare is great fun: a choose-your-own adventure book in which you play a consultant helping out a dysfunctional agile software team.

Wait: what? No really, it works. By choosing your own solutions to the real (or realistic, anyway) problems faced by the team, and investigating their interactions with other teams in the company, you get to understand many of the social problems software teams can face. You get to see what can go right-or wrong-when outsiders try to change things
Amanda
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
The choose-your-own-adventure framework was okay, in that it makes the point that you are always at a crossroads where you can do the wrong thing, the lazy thing, or with some effort, the team-building thing. Less okay -- throwing in a "fruits" joke. I subtracted a star just for that because the entire point of a choose-your-own-adventure is constructed, dynamic narratives -- crafting the world as you wish it rather than as it is -- you didn't *have* to include "being a dick towards gay people i ...more
Johnny Graber
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Dream Team Nightmare is a great example on what you can do with e-books. You read a bit before you need to make a decision. Depending on your decision the story ends abruptly or goes on. It’s exactly as it would be when you are the consultant you read about.

The most impressive thing on this book is the well transported fact, that one single wrong decision can destroy the whole build-up of trust. All works well and then it derails quickly and without a chance for recovery. It’s a great exper
Jérôme Vanhoof
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is certainly a book about Agile coaching, but very different from other ones. If found it fun to read because of its adventure and fiction form.

By reading the book you follow an Agile coach in the most importants moments of a mission, so that you can learn Agile coaching practices and and bit of theory about Agile. Reading the book was like getting experience and lessons whithout any effort and with a bit of thrill and fun. Isn't it worth a five stars rating?
Pixie
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
In the real world, not all developers readily embrace all agile principles, we often work on a "Frankenstein's Monster" code base & we're humans who make mistakes. When things go wrong, they *really* go wrong.
As a ScrumMaster who has read lots of utopian agile manuals, this is a refreshing change which has taught me a lot about how to handle difficult situations. Recommended.
Daniel
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
The book fills a gap between other agile books (too abstract) and blog posts for "How Company X used Agile" (too specific).

The story is nice to follow and there are some funny wrong paths to take.
Gerik
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It's not perfect as at times it's a bit cheesy and of course the real world is much more complicated than what the book can portray, but there is a lot of excellent content and loads of good ideas.

I would definitely recommend any agile manager should read this book.
Jerry
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must-read not just for developers but for those whose work involves a lot of collaboration.
Pascal Mestdach
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Read it in the airplane. Great and fun read! A book every agile coach should read, and maybe use as a pocket guide. It also made me laugh a couple of times :-)
Radu Davidescu
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gamificated reading experience!
Brandon Leiran
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sw
A choose your own adventure for an agile coach...too awesome.
zhao
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick read. A non-surprising intro book to agile from coaching stand point. Informative, contains good tricks to apply to typical hostile situations.
Thierry Dalon
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
I enjoyed reading this book.
Harshdeep
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: agile
What if kind of Book. What happens when situation turns like this and that.
Pete
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading it. ... Felt like back in the days with "Das schwarze Auge" role playing adventures. ;)
Tony

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Invitation
    $12.24 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99