Start by marking “The Last Romanov” as Want to Read:
The Last Romanov

The Last Romanov

IN A TIME OF RASPUTIN'S MAGIC AND ROMANOV MYSTERY, A YOUNG GIRL FINDS HERSELF AT THE HEART OF THE ROYAL FAMILY

She was an orphan, ushered into the royal palace on the prayers of her majestry. Yet, decades later, her time spent in the embrace of the Romanovs haunts her still. Is she responsible for those murderous events that changed everything?

If only she can find the heir,
Published April 3rd 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published April 1st 2012)

Jen
Nov 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book can be summarize in these three words: Of Crap Piece. Though you may have to rearrange them.

So I'm going to completely summarize the crapfest that was this book. Because then you won't read them. I read this book and finished it to protect you. LOVE ME.

Meet Darya. Her name means "the sea" oooh. She was conceived when her dad/mom met and then went all naughty during an auroch hunt. Oh did I mention that her mom was an noble named Sabrina Josephine and her family had all the pink diamond
CJ
Mar 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
I have a fascination with the Russian royal family. The tragedy surrounding their deaths has always fascinated me and I've read a lot of what's been published, novels as well as histories/biographies. I was excited to see this one - a story I'm familiar with told from a different perspective sucks me in every time. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this book.

The piece Mossanen adds to the story is a woman from the fringe. Her parents were friends of the Romanovs, but of course not of their socia
Amy Lignor
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps this book was given to the wrong reviewer, because I opened the pages already thrilled with what I was about to read. To me, there is nothing more interesting than the end of the Romanov dynasty - Nicholas II and Alexandra meeting up with the mad monk, Rasputin. This particular true historical story is still one of the most fascinating to be found in fiction.

In 1991, Darya Spiridova receives a knock on her door. There, standing in front of her, is a man in uniform who has an official let
Ron
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually give a book 100 pages before I give up. I nearly quit at page 71 on this story, but pressed ahead as it (momentarily) got interesting. I can't believe I read the whole thing.

A confused jumble. There's certainly a story in there somewhere, perhaps a good one, of the end of the Romanov royal family of Russia and potential (in a fantasy way) modern fallout. But the telling was not up to the concept. The primary stumbling block seems to be the author's inability to tell a story of a hundr
Misfit
Dec 06, 2011 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I yield, too much hocus pocus magic stuff for my blood and when (view spoiler) I'm done.
DeAnna
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like its heroine’s inexplicable opal eye, THE LAST ROMANOV by Dora Levy Mossanen shimmers with tantalizing mystery and brilliance. Readers will delight in sharing the journey of the bold and self-possessed Darya through the corridors of the Russian Imperial palace during the final days of the Tsar’s reign as she cares for the young and sickly heir, finds herself the beloved muse of a celebrated Jewish artist, and grapples with Rasputin’s revelations about her ancient past. Filled with rich perio ...more
Natasa
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, russia, romanovs
This booked seemed to jump from event to an event, as if the author was just filling out an outline of plot points. The main character was an unlikeable snob who seemed determined to make herself a martyr and who lived in her own head rather than in reality. In fact, the characters were unlikeable. Not only that, but the writing style itself was disjointed and sometimes confusing.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally postsed at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

What could happen in today’s Russia if there had been a surviving member of the Romanov family? This is the question that Dora Levy Mossanen asks in The Last Romanov. She takes you through the last years of the Imperial Couple’s rule, up to the moment of their execution… and possible survival of the teenaged Tsarevich, Alexis Romanov. Prepare yourself for one wild ride through history as Darya tells her tale and makes her search for
Ashley Arthur
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book I found out about through the Nook “Free Book Friday” program. I downloaded it a few weeks ago, but I hesitated to start it for a while – maybe because my knowledge of the Romanovs was limited to the animated movie “Anastasia” from 1997. Once I got started, though, I found the story fascinating.

The story is about an elderly woman, Darya, who is nearly a hundred years old and determined to find out if Alexi Romanov survived the night that the Bolsheviks slaughtered his parent
Tatyana
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-bad
If you know anything about Russian history, don't read this book, it will infuriate you with its stupidity and inability to collect simple facts which are available online. For a while, I tired to pretend that this was a fantasy novel, but it does not work on this level either.
Here is a quote from page 8:"The Entertainment palace in Ekaterinbourg was the only residence the communists and anti monarchists did not confiscate for fear of multiplying butterflies they regarded as the lingering spirit
My Book Addiction and More MBA
THE LAST ROMANOV by Dora Levy Mossanen is an impressive historical fiction set in Russia. This is the story of the Romanov's,a Royal family and the orphan left behind. It is written with vivid descriptions and details that brings Imperial Russia,the Royal family and the Romanov's to life. A story of mystery,redemption,prophecy,myths,a royal family,murder,second changes,magic and tragedy. So sit back and enjoy your journey with "The Last Romanov" you will not regret it and will learn volumes. Ms. ...more
Wendy Hines
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rarely has a book captivated me the way this one has. The Romanov story has been told several times, but I can assure you never in this fashion. This book offers a fresh perspective as well as a healthy dose of Russian history. Intrigue, romance, violence...you couldn't ask for more. A strong beginning sucks you right in and each chapter leaves you craving more. I wasn't able to put it down until I'd devoured every page.

Instead of turning the era and mystery into a myth, Mossanen takes the Rom
Christy
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

This book was an unusual read for me but I was interested because I have always been fascinated by the Romanov's. The books is interesting...even a little well weird at times but the story was engaging and you wanted to know what happens. The author writes quite differently from many others and it leads to an intriguing story.
Roberta
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Darya Borodina Spiridova was born with the howls of wild aurochs echoing in the forest. These same great beasts brought tragedy and change to her life while she was still young. After her parents’ tragic deaths, Darya is taken in by the Nicholas and Alexandra Romanov and becomes part of the everyday life of the Imperial family.

Darya was born with one opal eye. This, along with a secret ingredient kept in a locket, seem to give her special healing powers. These gifts are no match for the congen
ILoveBooks
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

Author Dora Levy Mossanen will have a wide audience for this book, the mystery behind the royal Romanov deaths is fascinating to so many. The author weaves a captivating tale starring Darya, a woman close to the Imperial Family. Early on, Rasputin imparts a disturbing prophecy to Darya...one that keeps Darya on her toes for decades. Constantly in search for Tsarevich Alexis, Darya's entire life is devoted to that one goal.

Darya's character is interesting. She isn't the normal character one finds
Apr 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read novels about the Romanovs, but unfortunately The Last Romanov fell flat for me. I don’t like to stop reading books, but I gave The Last Romanov one-hundred pages to capture my attention and it failed. The novel was very jumpy with almost fragments of story. It made it hard to pay attention to the plot. Darya is a distant relative of the last Czar of Russia, Nicholas II and his family. She has a romantic childhood marred by tragedy and becomes a nanny to the Tsarevich, Alexei. The ...more
drey
Darya Borodina Spiridova is 104 years old, and this may be the last Romanov claimant she gets to meet and check out. Believing herself responsible for the massacre of the royal family, she’s been safeguarding relics and treasures belonging to the Romanovs so she can return them – and hopefully earn her redemption.

The story flows between the current-day events and those in the past – including her parents’ fateful meeting, and her rise to the role of healer to the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, an
Blodeuedd Finland
I had high hopes cos I really liked the other book I read by her, and reading on I still had high hopes. But, I never truly connected and time just moved so fast and I had not time to breathe and know anyone.

Darya's mum was a noble woman from a diamond family. Her dad was a Russian noble. Darya was really speshul and had an opal eye that made her hallucinate. See saw some kind of Goddess and she also saw her old reincarnation. Oh and other stuff. Then Darya became a nurse at 17 to the ...whateve
PopcornReads
Like a lot of people around the world, I’ve always been fascinated by the story of what became of the Romanovs. When I saw The Last Romanov by bestselling author Dora Levy Mossanen, I knew I had to read it. I remember as a teen being convinced that one of the daughters, Anastasia, had survived. Every time a new potential Anastasia was found, I held my breath and crossed my fingers in hopes that it was true. I was sure she was out there somewhere. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads ...more
Aymee
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of love story, I think. The love of a woman for her country, for her royal family, and for her soul mate. A very interesting and engaging read as well.
Leah

The Romanovs are a huge interest of mine and regardless of how many books come out with the same plot (one or more of the children survived and must be found) I will never tire of reading about it. I love it, I love it, I love it. So when I first heard about this book, I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. Much to my surprise (and utter delight!) I received an ARC and immediately began reading.

"You are special, my darling. Different t
Christine
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free on Goodreads' First Reads giveaway.

I enjoyed this book all the way through. I've always been fascinated by personal tales and/or fictional literature that cover historical tragedies. This covered both quite nicely. I thought I might enjoy this because of my like for the movie "Anastasia", and it struck me as similar, however much more historically accurate. It is written in a very airy, romantic manner - including many asides that are very fantastical in nature.

It s
Allie
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darya Spiridova is born out of love with an opal eye and a special gift for seeing the future. After her parents tragic death, she is taken in by the Romanov Tsarina for her calming nature and healing gifts. After predicting the birth of Tsarevich Alexei, Darya becomes his godmother and caregiver. Mother Russia is a hostile place and Darya tries to ignore the anti-Imperial sentiments. However, the become more apparent after Darya falls in love with a Jewish Court Painter, a man far below her sta ...more
Christy B
The Romanovs are not a subject I'm particularly interested in, but I do like the time period, which is why I decided to read The Last Romanov.

It's told through the eyes of a woman named Darya, both as a young woman in Imperial Russia and as a 104 year-old woman in 1991 Russia. Since 1918, Darya has spent her life believing that Alexei Romanov did not die that fateful day along with his family, and dedicates her life to finding him and putting him on the throne.

Now, it's obvious to all of us no
Kathleen
Hmm... I had a hard time rating this book.

It's quite the story and I imagine was a quite a feat for the author. While I'm not certain, I imagine there was an immense amount of research that went into this story and while the author took several authorial liberties, this book has a lot of historical fact when it comes to the Romanov's. That, in my opinion, is very well done.

Darya is a very likeable heroine and Avram is her counterpart in every way. Their story is heart breaking while at the sam
Shelley Fearn
No matter your thoughts on the Romanov dynasty's own contribution to their demise, you have to admit the tragedy and barbarity of murdering an entire family. Many novels have been written about the Tsar and his family's last days and this one goes over the same ground. It does stand out by having a protagonist whose character seems to illustrate the superstition, extreme religiousity, and isolation that prevented Nicholas from dealing with the practicalities of ruling before it was too late.
Da
Heather
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very few events in history intrigue me as much as the downfall of the Romanov family. So, when I found this book at my local library, I was anxious to get started with it. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

I was hopeful that I would be reading something that grabbed my attention the way The Kitchen Boy did. Instead, this book has a mystical character, Darya, who is extremely unlikeable and possess an opal eye that has some kind of magic. It was obviously unbelievable, and made
Stef
This is a very ethereal book. I found it hard to get into the story because Darya, herself, is a difficult character to initially relate to. There were also moments when I thought to myself, I don't think I can read anymore of this. But I stuck it out to the end and was pleased with the work as a whole, but still found myself not really relating to the story. I love history and I loved the detail and embellishments that were in the text, but the magical elements were strange to me. Especially th ...more
George
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-ereads
LOVED IT.

"This is more than art. This is magic."—page 123

I've had a longtime fascination with the 'idea' of the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna, so a novel entitled, THE LAST ROMANOV (not about Anastasia, this time, but about her younger brother, the Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov), by Dora Levy Mossanen, seemed a good choice. It was. An excellent one.

With fetching characters and compelling prose, Ms Mossanen weaves an engaging tale of historical fiction, legend, myth and fantasy in the
Joy
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction and the Romanov dynasty
I’ve always been fascinated with the Romanov’s and their tragic end. I went into this read with a lot of background information. The novel is richly detailed and heavy with period facts and the author’s thorough research.

Unfortunately, the book felt clunky and I never connected to Darya. I didn’t get a feel for any of the characters and the plot was a bit thin and forced. I also didn’t expect the emphasis on the paranormal and mystical in an historical fiction.

I do think that most readers who l

• Meet the Annas
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • From the Ashes
  • The Hunt
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Spinning
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • A White Wind Blew
  • The Front Porch Prophet
Dora Levy Mossanen is an American author of historical fiction. Her published works include Harem (2002), Courtesan (2005), The Last Romanov (2012) and Scent of Butterflies (2014). She is a graduate of the USC Masters of Professional Writing Program and is the recipient of the San Diego State University Editor’s Choice Award.

Dora was born in Israel as the country was gaining its independence. She
“She spreads her knees wide, summons her enormous reserves of strength, and pushes once. A girl is born. A girl with black curls and skin the color of copper. A girl with exquisite golden eyes, one a translucent opal that reflects the depth of her emotions.” 0 likes