Start by marking “Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite

From the heart of an intersex teen, one who must ultimately choose male or female—family or true love—comes the story of a deeply emotional and perilous journey home. This is a young adult novel unlike any other—an authentic portrayal of the issues faced by a child growing up with a sexually ambiguous body.

Jameson can be like other boys after minor surgery and a few years
Paperback, First, 234 pages
Published September 18th 2012 by Faie Miss Press

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite

Bogi Takács
My review is finally up! The first and so far only #ownvoices intersex YA book does many things I haven't seen non-ownvoices books do, at all.

Source of the book: Print review copy from the author
Aditi
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definition of Hermaphrodite as per Wikipedia:
A hermaphrodite is an organism that has reproductive organs normally associated with both male and female sexes.

Lianne Simon, an American author, left us entranced with her debut novel, Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite , that explores the journey of a teenager growing up in his niche while trying to figure out his both masculine and feminine sides of his demeanor as well as of his body.

Synopsis:
From the heart of an intersex teen, one who must
Joni Thomas
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Okay, this book was wonderful. I remember in eigth grade health class learning about hermaphrodites and I distinctly remember the teacher telling us that many times the parents choose what gender they want to raise their child as. I remember thinking, "But what if they choose the wrong gender?" Well, this book basically answers that question.
The main character is Jamie, otherwise known as Jameson. Though his birth certificate says boy, Jamie acted like a girl until 9 years old when a docto
Grady
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sensitivity, Angst, Acceptance

Lianne Simon is as much a poet as she is a prose author. This exceptionally sensitive book sings, and in making that choice in her writing Simon has created something far more than a study of gender conflict: she has created a hymn to all young teenagers who face some of the most impossibly difficult decisions and life choices imaginable.

The problem of intersex is far more prevalent than the public realizes. According to medical books a `true hermaphrodite' is defin
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
‘Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite’ is the story of Jamie, a Hermaphrodite. Though Jamie feels like a girl and thinks of herself as an Elfin Princess, her parents raise her as Jameson – a boy. Not wanting to hurt their feelings, Jamie creates a set of rules that gives life to Jameson and locks away the princess. But, when a medical student tells her that she should have been raised as a girl, the Elfin Princess wants to break free…

This turned out to be a really difficult book to read and re
Laura Ann Dunks
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The main character, Jamie is an intersex (hermaphrodite) girl who has been forced by her parents to be a boy her whole life. She struggles with her feelings, God, her friends, and love interests in an attempt to determine the right course of action. She needs to take the hormones to induce a normal puberty, male or female, before it is too late. I will not describe the plot in too much detail because i don’t want to spoil it.
I was gripped by her dilemmas as she tries to please everyone around he
Hypia Sanches
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: turner-syndrome
This review is part of the blog tour at http://heroineswithheart.com/

Lianne tells us the story of Jamie, a girl who has hermaphroditism and a mosaic form of Turner syndrome. Gender identity issues of monumental proportions - and mostly because of the way her family insists on treating her as a boy.

Sometimes I wanted to get inside the book and slap/punch a few characters in the face - mostly, Jamie's father, that I can only describe as a narrow-minded prejudiced sexist. Jamie's mother is more ope
Justine
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from the author in a Read 4 Review in exchange for an honest review. This book peaked my interest from the very beginning. I am in the healthcare profession and honestly I have always been curious about conditions such as hermaphrodites. Then out jumped this book and I knew that I had to read it. This novel is a sweet coming of age story that really hit a nerve with me. I hated that Jamie's parents didn't accept her and wanted her to be something that she wasn't just to ...more
Melissa Levine
For me within the first couple chapters I felt like there was more going on with Jamie than just the intersex part. The fact that she would talk to her reflection and speak of herself in the 3rd person when referring to the female Jamie or the male counterpart, Jameson. I felt like she had multiple personalities or something going on too.

Throughout the book there were times where I would have to keep reminding myself how old Jamie was. She was suppose to be a teenager, 16, yet acted a lot of th
Sheila
Jamie doesn’t fit in. He tries to be who his parents want him to be, but she sees a different path in her dreams, and either way, the Jamie who faces the world isn’t the one in the mirror’s reflection. The doctor says his patient “should have been raised female,” but “his mom and dad didn’t like that.” So now Jamieson goes to boarding school and looks for ways to put off those testosterone shots that feel so wrong.

First person writing gives a convincing personal touch to Lianne Simon’s Confessio
Sally
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, intersex
From its deliberately provocative title, to its unusual narrative style, to its heavy layering of religious themes, to its reliance upon deception and coincidence, this was a book I was prepared not to like. The term hermaphrodite itself seemed like a slap in the face, especially since any hope of finding a mythological theme to serve as a justification for the term was erased the moment Jamie’s boyfriend invited her study the Bible with him.

The problem was, by that point I had already fallen in
Katie Kenig
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
This was a surprisingly lovely read.

First, let me say that while this is a Christian book, I didn't find it to be preachy (my main complaint with Christian books). It certainly was an important element in the main character's life, and played a big part in the outcome of the plot, but there didn't seem to be the undercurrent I find in some Christian books of telling everyone if they aren't as godly as the character they're going to hell. So don't let the fact that this is a novel with religious
Scott-robert Shenkman
I received this book from the author is exchange for an honest review in the “Read for Review” section

This was a very difficult book to read – not because it was poorly written – just the opposite – but because it was writen so well that all the heartache that Jamie had lived through is brought to life so incredibly well by Ms. Simon Jamie is intersexed – she (that is how she identifies) has partial “equipment” for both sexes. I have met several transsexua
Laura Zimmerman
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Like many readers, the subject matter of this book is interesting to me. I know very little about the medical conditions described in the book and I've been curious about how the condition affects people emotionally.

Overall I thought the book was good but there were odd jumps in time (lack of continuity) and occasionally new people were introduced into the story with no explanation of who they were until later in the story. The same happened with certain events, like discovering her new birth ce
Sharmin
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lianne Simon’s Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite may not be a revolutionary book but with its effortless prose and authentic characters, it doesn’t have to be to hold a special place in our hearts. This book doesn’t alienate readers who don’t understand Jamie’s condition but instead sweeps us along as we rediscover our womanhood with Jamie making the air quite nostalgic. This is not a book that burdens us with Jamie’s problems but reassures us of her individuality. That is not to say it su ...more
Purpinkrose
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read4review
This book was gifted to me by the author Lianne Simon for an honest review.

When I read the discription for this book it was so far out my comfort zone, but as ive learned since joining this group - never judge a book by its cover.
As a mum to three boys and having a miscarriage inbetween my children you do worry about the what if's and things that can go wrong. I do remember asking myself at stupid o'clock in the morning while lying awake worrying what if my babys born with both sexes? my answer
Katharina Gerlach
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, adult
This was a very good book that took some getting used to. Since it also had some minor issues that itched me (stuff anyone else will probably not even notice), I only gave it 4 stars. If I were more like other people, it would have been 5. (If you're interested in the irks, read the last paragraph of this review, but beware SPOILER ALERT). This book is NOT for young readers!

I got this book for free on a Read For review basis. I requested it, because the idea of being trapped in the wrong kind of
Liz
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Confessions chronicles two years in the life of Jamie, a teen born with Mixed Gonadal Dysgenesis. She has one testis and one ovary and could easily pass as either male or female. But which is she, really? She was raised as a boy, despite the fact that she would rather play dress-up than football. Now that her older brother, Scott, has been killed in Vietnam, Jamie’s parents—and her father, especially—need for her to be a boy. Convinced that her cross-dressing is a phase she’ll outgrow (a phase w ...more
Karasu
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won, s
Here is my review. A genuine review from a first-reads winner.

This was a great read for me. Full 5 stars!

I don't usually read Christian literature, and when I do there is usually something that disappoints me about the story. This one is obviously an exception.

I won't say too much for fear of spoilers, but here's how it goes. Jameson "Jamie" Kirkpatrick was born with Mixed Gonadal Dysgenesis (MGD), a Disorder of Sex Development (DSD). Basically she was genetically born between the genders.

Wh
Megan (The Book Babe)
Other reviews like this at The Book Babe

Note: Due to copy an paste, formatting has been lost.

I found out while reading this book that I'm not as squeamish as I thought I was. Because when the author first contacted me about this book, I wondered if it would be a good idea for me to read it. I wondered if it would freak me out, or if I just wouldn't be able to handle the subject matter.

I was pleasantly surprised, because not only could I deal, I also quite enjoyed it. The subject matter was tab
Kate Gould
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Born with Mixed Gonadal Dysgenesis, a disorder of sexual development, Jameson identifies as a girl but has been raised as a boy. His parents attempt to instil in him gender norms and behaviour they believe to be appropriate to a boy and, following medical advice, put Jameson on a testosterone regime.

When Jameson goes to university, encouraged by friends, he changes his name to Jamie and tries to live as a girl. He learns more about his condition, attempts to navigate the often distressing and co
Antonia
This book didn't satisfy me at all. When I started reading it, I had high expectations of it because of its theme, which seemed to me quite interesting and contradictory.
But it wasn't exciting at all. Jamie's mind was a bit naive and childish, probably because her childhood was downright wrecked by the expectations and the misunderstanding of her parents. I don't know, but I couldn't connect to her at all. Additionally, the other characters seemed minor and boring to me, and the plot, whereas it
Yvette Calleiro
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
The voice at the beginning of a 16 year old who was intelligent enough to begin college seemed too young (more like the 12 year old most people thought she was). I tried to remember that the setting was the 1970s and that youth were more innocent there, but it still seemed too young for me.

Getting past that, I did enjoy the story. It was educational and informative while being honest and naked with her emotion and experiences. It's sad that parents can be so blind to their children because of th
Shannon Ventresca
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book through goodreads' first reads program. It is also available as a free ebook. Honestly, I gave it two stars because it just wasn't as polished as a published book should be. The plot was confusing at times, as was the character development. The adamant Christianity felt unnatural and forced at times. I hate hate hate writing bad reviews...mostly because I know how important a book is to its author. I don't feel all ope is lost...it just really needs some more editi ...more
S.M. Johnson
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was really happy when I won this book from a blog giveaway.

It was a gentle read, (meaning for the most part rated PG), but the emotions portrayed as Jameson the son struggles to become Jamie the daughter come across as very genuine.

Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite is a sweet story that offers some insight as to what it might feel like to struggle with gender issues.
Denise MacDonald
Oct 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
I found this book very helpful with providing medical information and even what it may feel like to grow up as a hermaphrodite. However, the plot was completely unbelievable and at times very annoying.
Bobbie C Thompson
Sep 30, 2012 marked it as to-read
Another author I had the pleasure of meeting 09/2012. Looking forward to reading her book.
Paige
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Check out my review here: http://thepaige-turner.blogspot.com/2...
Brenda A
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-4-review
This was a great book and a quick read. I did have my misgivings, and there were some parts of the book I didn't like, but I'll get to those in a bit. I want to focus on what I loved first, because that's the bulk of my reading experience.

Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite was an extremely interesting look into a life that I'll never live. The idea that someone would have to play act for half their life as the opposite gender was just mind boggling. I think it was hard for me to grasp that
Melissa T
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on January 10, 2013.

The topic of a person being intersex is a very difficult one to breach as it is a sensitive topic in general. The author does a good job of discussing intersexuality in a mostly neutral way, although Jamie/Jameson's parents clearly want her to be something she's not, and it's obvious that they have issues with her condition.

They raised her as a girl until she was 9, then moved, cut her hair and tried to raise Ja
« previous 1 3 next »

• Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • Of Virgins and Martyrs: Women and Sexuality in Global Conflict
  • 143
  • Magic of the Loch
  • Poisonous
  • Read Me Dead
  • Tangi's Teardrops: A Single Tear Will Change Everything...
  • Travels With Tinkerbelle - 6000 Miles Around France In A Mechanical Wreck
  • Showtime (Marvelle Circus, #1)
  • 8 Keys to Stress Management
  • Someone Else's Dream
  • The Shattered Door
  • Jellicle Girl
  • Chris Will... The Story of a Boy and Autism Unawareness
  • The Fractured Road - Part 1: East and West
  • Fathoms of Forgiveness (Sacred Breath, #2)
  • Universal Guardians: The Royal Descendant
  • Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories
Lianne Simon’s father was a dairy farmer and an engineer, her mother a nurse. She grew up in a home filled with love and good books.

Tiny and frail, Lianne struggled physically, but excelled at her studies. In 1970, she was awarded a scholarship to the University of Miami, from which she graduated in 1973. Fond memories of her time there remain with her.

Some years later, after living in several sta