Start by marking “Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb” as Want to Read:
Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb

Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb

(Johnny Graphic Adventures #1)

An action-filled, 1930s ghost adventure for middle-grade readers. (And anyone else who enjoys a spirited yarn!)

All that Johnny Graphic ever wanted was to be a star news photographer. But the story that puts the twelve-year-old and his big sister on the front page could well come with a horrible headline: BOY LENSMAN MURDERED BY GHOSTS!

The year is 1935 and in Johnny’s world
Published June 30th 2012 by Conger Road Press (first published June 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb

Start your review of Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb
Pop Bop
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Does for Ghosts What Asimov Did for Robots

Blurbs for this book make it sound like just a 30's flavored ghost adventure romp. That's sort of true, but does the book a real disservice. This book is entertaining, well-crafted, thoughtfully plotted and loaded with compelling characters.

First off, you should start the book at the end, with the Appendix titled "The Eight Laws of Etheristics". Etherists are sort of like ghost-wranglers, or ghost-whisperers, and in this alternate 1930's universe encoun
Marie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is listed on Camp-Read-Alot, a summer camp for (Minnesota) teachers and librarians. The great thing about a NEW book is I can be the first to offer it to my readers at school and then they learn to seek me out for more book ideas. At first, the title didn't grab me because I didn't know the word "etheric," but the cover illustration drew me in. This is a well-constructed story with enough "candy" -- ghost assassins, zombies, etc, to appeal to the young reader plus a strong vocabulary ( ...more
Susan
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The ghosts in this book are incredibly sympathetic characters. Three stand out in my mind. Colonel MacFarlane is a courtly cavalry officer, dead 70 years, and in service to Johnny’s sister Mel. He defends her with fierce courage. Steppe Warrior Burilgi, leader of the ghost assassins, is only seeking a proper death for himself and his comrades. And Bao, a little girl from a mountain tribe, dead for many centuries, simply wants to feel that she’s part of a family again. These are ghosts that strik ...more
Rebecca McKinnon
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is quite different from anything I've read recently.

In this book, one of every three people become ghosts. While there are "bad" ghosts, most of the ghosts are kind. They just want a way to do something worthwhile. A reason for being.

There are great character interactions here. It's wonderful to see a sibling relationship that is caring, where they would do anything to help and protect each other. It makes a nice change! That's not the only great family relationship, either, but I don'
Mary Ann
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8 yrs +
Recommended to Mary Ann by: Found on Goodreads
Shelves: first-read-books
This is a great book, the author presented it in a very interesting way. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and would recommend it 8 years old and up to adults who enjoy a fun read.
Melanie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I’d like to say- I really loved this story!

As a fan of the mysterious world of the ethereal, (though not of scary spooks), I enjoyed reading about a place where ghosts not only exist, but they are also a part of one’s everyday life. These ghosts were once live people who have since passed on, but are still here on Earth. However, in this world, not all who pass on become ghosts, so death is still a tragedy. Those ghosts who remain are able to live on with the world they left behind by w
Andd Becker
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Johnny Graphic, a twelve-year-old news photographer, has etheric sight: He can see ghosts. He rides a ghost horse. He sees ghost warriors in action.
Three percent of humans who die end up as ghosts in a parallel universe. The ghosts want to get out of the ether. Johnny's seventeen-year-old sister studies how ghosts move from the ether to the real world, functioning as if they are alive.
Challenging vocabulary words for middle-grades students include admonished, corporeality, diaphanous, emanati
Ceh131973
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
[Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb] by [D.R. Martin] was an incredible adventure. In the classic sense of serial adventures from the 1940's the young cub photographer, who happens to see ghosts and is 12 yrs old, has to save the world from a horrible new bomb. Along with his sister, Melanie and other friends, they travel the world to solve the mystery and stop destruction.

As a teacher who just spent the past three weeks teaching about the making of the atomic bomb this book seemed to parallel
Margaret Arvanitis
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A ghost story with a twist.

Author D. R. Martin has captured the interest of mid grade reader, both boys and girls, with his tale of real life people and the ghosts who interacts with them in both good and bad ways. Johnny Graphic is a kid news photographer. He helps his sister who is endangered by killer ghosts. Although I didn't see too much of the 1930's in the book, Martin did bring a bit of the time in. Good plotting,
Violet
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Good reads and D. R. Martin for my copy of Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb.

A great read, entertaining. This is a wonderful book for young readers on up.
Tatra
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The idea and the plot were cool, I did really like the whole thing with ghosts and the people that could see them and how it was all out in the open. But I really didn’t connect with the characters and it wasn’t my cup of tea.
David
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Biggles, the Hardy Boys or Goosebumps
I received this book as a member giveaway from LibraryThing some time ago, but only just read it.

What attracted me to this book was the great cover with the great artist's impression of a flying boat from the "Golden Age Of Aviation" soaring over our eponymous boy hero with what looks like an atomic bomb's mushroom cloud in the background. These are three of the four main features of the novel; the only thing missing are ghosts.

If you accept the alternative timeline of the novel (and its seque
Dawson French
Scott
rated it it was ok
May 05, 2017
D.R.
Aug 07, 2012 marked it as middle-grade-ya  ·  (Review from the author)
Theresa
Meridy Jenkins
Sep 22, 2012
Ali
Sep 23, 2012
D.R. has worked as a journalist and editor, a copywriter and photographer, a book and music reviewer, a TV scriptwriter, and, not least, a novelist. He is the author of the rollicking ghost adventures Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb and Johnny Graphic and the Attack of the Zombies. His canine cozy mystery series, written under the pen name Richard Audry, includes The Karma of King Harald, King ...more

Johnny Graphic Adventures (2 books)
  • Johnny Graphic and the Attack of the Zombies