Start by marking “Half Blood (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #1)” as Want to Read:
Half Blood (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #1)

Half Blood

(Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #1)

April 7, 2012
*WARNING: This book contains graphic scenes and sexually explicit content.*

"Swallowing her pained sounds, she forced the fear from her eyes. ‘You killed me,’ she breathed, swallowing down on the hard lump in her throat. It wasn’t often that someone got an opportunity to come face to face with their killer."

A battle for werewolf territory and rights has Rhett f
Published April 7th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Half Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half Blood

Start your review of Half Blood (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #1)
Jacinta Maree
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Half Blood starts off with an explosive beginning, a perfect picture that creates a mood of fear intertwined with a taste of murder and hot romance. Lauren Dawes has a fantastic sense of humour that is hidden in her work like Easter eggs among the garden; you just stumble upon them unexpectedly. For example she called the media 'Rubberneckers' which actually made me laugh out loud I even had to highlight it.

Indi came into the story packing punches, quickly introducing me to the norms of her lif
Theresa
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, book draws you in and won't let you go until its finished. Word of advice - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION! Book introduces several characters and events, what you may think is not important is more than likely extremely important and you'll find yourself going back refreshing your memory of a character or event. The author goes from character to character giving background and details that weave together until you absolutely must know what happens next! I love this authors take on werewolv ...more
Brandi Kennedy
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lauren-dawes
I have to start by saying that this book isn't writing my typical genre. I read a little mix of everything, including fantasy and paranormal, but I'll admit that most of what I tend to read is in the contemporary romance area. It just seems to be the genre I relate more clearly to, since I tend to be a bit of a romantic most days.

Still, I do branch out here and there. I get into stories about ghosts, about witches, and about faeries. I get into vampires and werewolves from time to time. And that
Danielle Book Boss
I decided to read Half Blood as part of a July reading challenge. Overall I liked the book. I got it for free from Amazon so that was exciting too. It was well written and had a nice take on Vampires and Werewolves.

The good:

An original take on vampires and werewolves. Indigo (the heroine) is a vampire hybrid but has no idea and she is guarded unknowingly by Rhett - a werewolf (I won't call him a hero because the book only has romantic elements. It is not a romance).

For being Indie published, i
Crissy
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Indi has had a hard life going from foster homes to foster homes and being abused by everyone she has ever known and trusted until she met Jerry. Jerry is Indi’s step-brother, his mother Barb adopted Indi when she a teenager. It wasn’t long before Jerry’s dad made a move on Indi destroying his family in the process. Barb blames Indi and when her own son chooses Indi over his family his mother will stop at nothing to get revenge. But she isn’t the only one who wants Indi dead.
Rhett is half-human
mirba
This book has me quite confused. While the writing is of that style that has me glued to the page, my mind couldn't make any sense of what I was reading. Questions keep popping in my mind:
1. If he's the guardian, why he's never guarding her?
2. If she's so so incredibly precious, why don't they give her a 24/7 surveillance with at least 3 bodyguards in 8hrs turns?
3. How come that these foster fathers are always always always so bad in books? I'm beginning to get annoyed by it.
4. What exactly is
Inga Lady Of Bookland
It was a really good multi POV paranormal story, with some romance, suspense and action, there was darkness and heart-breaking moments. Also this novel had an original take on werewolves and vampires.

Half Blood was addictive as Lauren Dawes is a great writer. I love her writing style as she very intricately webs together a surprising story from multiple POVs.

The only problem I had was that for some reason I couldn't connect with Indi (so that's why it's four stars and not five), but otherwise it
Dana Fetters
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I do not typically like the whole werewolf/vampire thing, but this book was much different than the "modern-day-i-sparkle-in-the-sunshine" vampires. It was what vampires were meant to be, scary and mysterious. I am going to buy the rest of the series because I can't wait to see what happens next. ...more
Denielle
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, couldn't put it down and definitely ended too soon, can't wait to read more :-) ...more
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

I enjoyed this, a lot. I didn't love for a couple of reasons.

CLIFFHANGER! It finishes on a cliffhanger, and if I KNOW is finishes as such, I'm usually ok, but I did NOT see this one coming at and I was somewhat annoyed about that!

I'm still not entirely sure whats going on, what the bigger picture is. It might just be me, but my brain didn't put everything together yet, and I was somewhat annoyed by that, too. I am cer
CarolKat
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before we start with Rhett and Indie's story we get a rather peek at a man with a rather violent past.

We meet Detective Vaile Wolfe who is also a werewolf as he is investigating what looks like a murder scene minus the body. He also doesn't seem to be able to keep a partner, that is until Officer Larissa Grey. The two of them are assigned to a serial rapist case that plays an interesting role that intertwines with Indi.

Then we get to meet Indi, she works at her brother's coffee shop and she has
Cina Meyer
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat different take on werewolves.

Some of the differences are:

-Mates choose one another, and are not destined by fate;
-No telepathic link;
-No super hearing (at least, characters will talk about sensitive topics with other werewolves nearby);
-A lot of the fighting occurs in human form.

I liked the book. The female protagonist is strong and can defend herself. Always a plus when the MC isn't helpless, even though she sometimes does stupid things.

One thing that didn't make sense was, if Indig
Carrie
Jan 28, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but all over the place

In general, I liked the book, but it was kind of all over the place.

There were so many concurrent story lines, it was almost hard to keep track. I get that this is a series and I’m guessing the story lines will be resolved in time, but it’s still a bit overwhelming. The perspective changed frequently which added to the confusion. First chapter is from the perspective of a police detective who pops in and out of the book but isn’t the main character. Another chapter is
Wanda Jewell
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good paranormal book. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions with each other. There are werewolves and I LOVE Rhett and his mismatched eyes. Rhett is Indigo's guardian. There are also VAMPIRES! Nox aka Sam is a vamp and is set to kill the last half blood. Indigo has suffered her whole life and was the victim many times in her life. She does not intend to be a victim again. She was in foster care through many homes. Her beloved foster brother Jerry has some issues of his ...more
Heather Russell
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just Wow! I read a lot of paranormal romance like this and this book pulled me into it! Lauren Dawes had me feeling sympathy and anger on behalf of the main character Indigo who as a child was abused and raped. Now grown up she has trust issues except for 2 people…Her foster brother Jerry and Rhett. Then Indigo finds out that she’s a vampire hybrid. What she doesn’t know is that Rhett is her guardian because she is the last of her kind!
Rhett is a werewolf that most of his pack doesn’t li
Jessica Gleave
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given a free copy of this book for a review.

So I will be honest. I did enjoy this book in parts. Others I felt there might have been too many character arcs, that may not have been needed. But then again, this is part of a series so it may be setting the storylines up for the rest of the books.

I did find myself wanting to find out more of the plot but a lot of the time I kept thinking that Indi was given a rough lot in life and I still don't know what the full story with Rhett. Why doesn'
Anita Maxwell
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was dark and twisted, which I loved. Sometimes it's really great to read something that doesn't end with rainbows and unicorns.

Note that this book contains many triggers! If a abuse of any kind is an issue, do not pick up this book.

Initially I was very distracted at the beginning, by all of the characters, but each side story was intriguing. I knew that Dawes would tie them all together and that I just had to be patient and read, and I wasn't let down. I kept telling myself "Only one m
Jessica Zeleskey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book a lot. The writing had my glued from page one.

This was my 1St book by this author and won't be my last! The story line was great and does end with a cliff hanger so if you don't like that might not be the book for you.

My only issue and why I gave 4 instead of 5 stars was there was so many main characters and their view point I got a little confused. Sometimes it would jump in the middle of a chapter. Or another chapter was started and it didn't make 100% clear who th
Clarke
I feel like I read a different book then everyone else.

This book needs to come with a long list of trigger warnings. The mild description doesn’t do this book or some poor unsuspecting reader any justice. I’m not a fan of dark books much less ones that contain murder and rape. This book contains a lot of both. Honestly I wish I could unread what I have. There is nothing positive or uplifting about this book. If you’re looking for something dark, depressing, and disturbing this book is for you.
Melissa Christenson
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I read the last book in the Helheim series and liked it so much I decided to go back and read the rest and I wasn't disappointed. Half Blood took me through what it was like for Indie and Rhett and how they were constantly getting beaten down but they keep getting back up. There were sone heart wrenching moments in this book also and you can definitely relate to the characters and what they are going through. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves shifter and vampire books! ...more
Ani Roldan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An impresive amount of plot twist

It is a well written story. Though it has a lot of plot twist, and too much tragedy for my taste. I don't think you can call this a romance, it doesn't have much of it. Just a lot of crazy people and traumatized women. It is quite a rollercoster ride. If you like that kind of thing the story won't disapoint.
Emily
Urban fantasy novels, especially with werewolves are generally one of my favourites, but this just didn't do it for me. I felt that Lauren Dawes tried to include and introduction too many characters in this first book, which was only 200ish pages long. Unfortunately, I don't see myself reading the sequel. ...more
Helen Wawrejko
Half blood

A product of abusive foster home men, Indigo is just trying to break out of her horrific past. As a half blood, she holds in her blood the means to have werewolves give birth to females. Very dark book.
Maurice Peugh
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read with lots of action

I liked the action, but I believe that anyone who has been sexually assaulted could be hurt in violent areas of the book. Overall, it was an interesting book.
Ashley
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series so far!

Very different from the usual werewolf vampire books! A little dark if you’re sensitive to crime related issues where girls are involved. But otherwise a great book
Sharon
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the twist of the old werewolf/ vampire story. It gets very dark in places but still a good story.
Melania Ramona
Interesting characters, but just not my type of story. I was intrigued, the writing is ok, but I don't really want to read more about the Helheim pack. I struggled to finish this one. ...more
Elizabeth Close
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
fantastic story line, has everything a reader could want:- a heroine, sexy shifter, drama.... can't wait til the next book cause this one had me enthralled ...more
Krystal gaston
i could not get into this story. i tried so hard and finished it but it did not work for me.
Lisa Shellhammer
Jan 31, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF 20%. Too many points of view

• Wolf's Game (Hidden Pines Shifters, #1)
  • Tribute to the Alpha: A Wolf-Shifter Romance (Alma Venus Shifter-Brides)
  • Ajax (The Sobekian Project, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Spell (Cursed Ones, #1)
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Wolves' Queen (The Royal Heir, #1)
  • Nightsoul (Raven Cursed #3)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • First Term (Dragon Fire Academy #1)
  • Her White Wolf (The Academy of Amazing Beasts, #1)
  • Hopeless Magic (Hopeless #1)
  • Second Term (Dragon Fire Academy #2)
  • Captive of Wolves (Bound to the Fae, #1)
  • Home for the Holidays: Short Story
  • Luna Captured (Luna Rising, #2)
  • #1 Crush (#1, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
Lauren Dawes is a USA Today Bestselling Author. She's an urban fantasy/paranormal romance writer and the author of the Half Blood Series and the Dark Trilogy. You won’t find any friendly vampires in between the pages of her books; just blood, teeth and violence.

When she’s not writing, she’s reading or designing book covers. She currently lives in Canberra, Australia with her husband, daughter and

Helheim Wolf Pack Tale (5 books)
  • Half Truths (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #2)
  • Half Life (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #3)
  • Half Cast (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #4)
  • Half Bound (Helheim Wolf Pack #5)