Start by marking “The Girl's Guide to Being a Boss (Without Being a Bitch): Valuable Lessons, Smart Suggestions, and True Stories for Succeeding as the Chick-in-Charge” as Want to Read:

Forget what you’ve heard. Nice girls can get the corner office.

As women, we haven’t always had the best role models at work. We’ve either worked for men or we’ve had female bosses who are, well, big bitches. Woman still don’t have much of a road map right now when it comes to taking charge at the office, so the team who brought you the national bestseller The Girl’s Guide
Published May 1st 2007 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2006)

Start your review of The Girl's Guide to Being a Boss (Without Being a Bitch): Valuable Lessons, Smart Suggestions, and True Stories for Succeeding as the Chick-in-Charge
Laura Sinnott
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Reads like a Cosmopolitan article - littered with embarrassing phrases like "Chick in Charge" and "Bad Bitch or Big Witch?". It's awful to think the next generation of young female mangers might read this and believe it - perpetuating gender stereotypes to the nth degree.
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish. They lost all credibility with me when I got to the chapter on dress code and it said to get a manicure, have eyebrows waxed or threaded regularly, keep split ends cut and always wear makeup. These are all things that cost money that men don't have to do, so I don't do them (at least, not as a habit). Plus, do you know how much extra time I'd have to plan to wear makeup? Not wearing makeup does not mean you don't care about your job or how you present yourself. Not doing your jo ...more
Val Williams
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I had to reread this book, as it had been a while since I'd seen it. While many of the skills and tips in this book are good advice for either gender in the workplace, the authors (who run their own public relations company, celebrity chef Jamie Oliver among their clients) include some information of specific relevance to women. For example, they remind women that being the boss means that you can't be "buddies" anymore with everyone, and that at times it's not personal but indeed just business. ...more
Cinnamon
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women who are managers or who want to be managers
I've struggled with becomign a manager and this book provided some great points and some great points of view. I read it quickly hoping for advice in dealing with some touch situations that I have been dealing with at work and I have to say it helped me. If nothing else, it reminded me to think that I need to remember to be the manager I want to have. Which isn't easy, but its a lot easier to live with myself.
Jessica
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career-business
A good reference book for women who want to be great individual contributors or women moving into a supervisory role. I enjoyed the 'girl talk' chats with female managers to gain their perspective on various leadership topics.
Liz De Coster
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Some good and practical advice, but really geared towards large corporations, and doesn't work as well for women at smaller organizations, non-profits, and so on.
Angie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing read. Just seemed very common sense to me. Probably would have had a different perspective and found it far more valuable if I had read it when I first started managing people. Frankly, I was horrified when, on page 25 I read, "...studies also show that women are not socialized to become leaders and that great leading female role models are few and far between. Sure, there's Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton, Madeleine Albright, Oprah Winfrey, and Maya Angelou, but beyond that, ca ...more
Kristen Considine
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love it but I just found it to be contradictory. Many reminders of good habits but then ruin the point by basically saying the opposite in the next chapter. Maybe it’s just the way I was reading between the lines, but I couldn’t get past it.
Claire Kane
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is horrendously regressive. I thought the title was tongue in cheek, but no, it just panders to already the suffocating stereotype that women are bitches if they are assertive. What would these women call male bosses who behave in the way their supposed real life examples do, I wonder? i also find it absolutely abhorrent how these women trivialize and shame bipolar in their book by calling women who go from 'nice boss' to 'bitch boss' 'bipolar betties'- no seriously.
pri
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
i can not say that it wasn't worth the time it took to skim through mainly for a few good kernels. a lot of honest reflection on how you are no longer everybody's friend when you become the boss. and how to sort through that oddness of not only no longer hearing the gossip but now being gossiped about. :) i also did like the Q&A with women leaders. getting a chance to think about more women in power and what their touchstones and lessons are.

the rest of it - sometimes vapid, often conflicting (d
Jill
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
My dad bought me this book. I love my dad, he's been the most ardent supporter of my career, really.
The title was a little off-putting, but once I got over it, and just read it, I realized this short little guide is a gem. A lot of the information seems really fundamental, but it made me realize that I had a problem NOT falling back on them. Good book for people who are entering the supervisor/management field. For those managers who think they know it all, its a good touch-stone book to remind
Christine
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: work-reading
I just inherited a new team and was feeling a bit lost on what to do. How long do you give existing employees "space"? How do I bring on new people and keep the team happy? How do I build my team's culture and attitude? This book answered all of those questions.

A lot of the information is common sense, particularly if you've been in the business world for as long as I have. I am a big fan of all the testimonials and bits of advice from women who have been there and succeeded. I love how these l
Mary
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
I hated to buy this book because it's so bloody pink. I want to believe that managing is managing, no matter what your gender. But I know that's not true. And this was the only book I saw, while browsing, that talked about going from staff to management and how awkward that can be, how much it can affect you socially, how your need to be taken seriously can change the way you are with people. In short, it addressed my concerns pretty head on. The book itself isn't quite as patronizing as it look ...more
Carrie Elizabeth Rundhaug
Overall this book looked interesting when I was wandering around Barnes and Noble the other day so I decided to pick it up and give it a shot. While this book has some helpful information in it I can't help but think that I wasted my time reading this book.

In my opinion the majority of information included in this book was common sense. I think what would have been more helpful would have been to outline pointers to help solve the actual problems addressed in the book.

Overall I don' think I got
Julz
Apr 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I read this book just before starting my current job last August, since it would be the first time I'd be not just leading/facilitating, but actually having someone report to me and giving directives to others who are not direct reports.

I've noticed that often female bosses tend to be inconsistent, as in, "You never know which one is coming to the party."

I don't want to be that way, yet I don't want to fall into the trap of being everyone's buddy, either. This book had some excellent suggestions
Cindy
Jul 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm rereading this book because it's so good. Since I'm new to managing staff, I find myself in situations that make me wonder if I'm doing right. This handy little guide gives advice on how to deal with staff who question your authority, how to seperate business/friendship relationships, and much more. There are interviews with female managers and tips throughout this guide. This is a must-read for all female managers.
Martas
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book and found some aspects of it to be very helpful. I also found it affirming to see many of my previous bosses behaviors being addressed as negative. Something's seemed very obvious (communication!) but one topic I wish they had delved into more is what to do when you're a new manager managing someone whose been at the company for many years and is older than you. This is something personally I would have found of interest.
Sal Goeldner
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: women bosses
This should be compulsory reading for every female who is a boss - "Congratulations on your promotion and here's a book to read before you do anything !". Warns women against being control freaks and the pitfalls of micromanaging.Lots of sensible advice about managing. ...more
Molly
Oct 04, 2010 rated it liked it
This was really good- got me all pumped up about being a boss (of sorts) without feeling bad about it. The segments that had interviews with female managers were either hit or miss- some were good to hear, others made me squeamish. I would recommend it to any woman newly put in a position of supervising others.
Jojo A
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally right. The title explains it all, either you were a normal employee or a boss, this is how you treat people around you at work without acting bitchy, nor rude or moody.

The book is light-written, straight, funny, precise, will make you think and reconsider your attitude, will trigger your errors and trust me this book will change you and it will work.
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, career
This book did have some good points, but it felt overly focused on jobs where there was a lot of client interaction and the advice seemed to have a lot to do with that. It also felt too casual sometimes in a way that was off-putting, but I can't describe how. Overall, good advice, but somewhat limited.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Domme in me says, there is nothing wrong with being a bitch. It's Ms. Bitch to you. The guide is okay. I debated whether to give it a 2.5 which would be a 2 or put it as a 3. I ended up as a 3 because I enjoyed the stories. The suggestions are nice. I would recommend this to females just starting in the business world.
Faith
Jul 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. I loved the insights it gave from other female managers, CEOs and other senior executives.
Puts in perspective what I do everyday and how I can affect the lives of my employees.
Taylor
Jan 07, 2008 added it
Although I did not care for the title it was a great book on a woman in a management position on houw to deal with people in business without being soft, or .... Women this was helpful if you are in a leadership position, just turn the cover over and read it.
WR
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone (male or female) who's just become a boss
Recommended to WR by: Zitch
This isn't really my kind of book, but Zitch spotted it at the library, and I figured, no harm! To be honest, it's not the most "enlightening" of books (the ideas are generally quite common-sensical), but it's an easy read with some good reminders of what (not) to do.
Sonya Madden
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I found parts of this book really helpful. At the time I bought it I was struggling with people discussing me behind my back at work after a new promotion. This book helped me move beyond focusing on that and getting back to doing my job well.
Meridith Pushnik
Overall, I thought it had some useful information for being a productive and thoughtful manager, regardless of gender. I especially enjoyed reading the real-world examples, and am thankful for the overarching tone of making sure you celebrate the successes of other women.
Eve
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book from the shelves, quick-ish read, solid advice and perspectives. Not a fan of the reliance on the whole girl thing but ignoring that I think it's useful on several levels and I made notes should I ever return to the workforce ...
Allison
Jul 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Great for business and life in general. Excellent if you are trying to get ahead.
Rachel
Jul 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
A good read. Entertaining and educational. Lots of great references.

• Mary Anne Saves the Day
  • The Truth About Stacey
  • Not Without My Daughter
  • The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee
  • Bodega Dreams
  • I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Life
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • Illegal
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment
  • Claudia and Mean Janine