Start by marking “Grace Among Thieves” as Want to Read:
Grace Among Thieves

Grace Among Thieves (Manor House Mystery #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  905 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
As curator and manager of the Marshfield Manor, Grace Wheaton is delighted to be part of the estate’s magnificent history, but no one told her solving murder was in her job description…

When Grace’s former professor calls to warn her that there have been a rash of thefts at various historical sites, Grace isn’t surprised—because Marshfield Manor has been targeted, too. She
Published June 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Grace Among Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Among Thieves

LORI CASWELL
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Grace has her hands full. There is film crew making a souvenir movie of Marshfield Manor and the owner's stepdaughter has dropped by for an unexpected visit. The last thing she needs is the news she received from former professor. Apparently historic places like Marshfield Manor are being targeted by thieves. She is confident in their security team until a guest is murdered and another one shot. There is just not enough manpower to spread around.

Grace has reason to believe the killer and thieves
Jonathan
I feel like every book I've read recently has hit that 4/5 star mark. They've all been good, solid mysteries, but just fell short of the "amazing" books I want when I rate 5/5 stars. Grace Among Thieves unfortunately didn't break that rut I'm currently in, but it did keep me engrossed for longer than the last few books I've read have.

Grace is a simply wonderful main character. She actually does her job in the books (which is rare in modern cozies) and she shows weaknesses. I simply adore her! Th
Fred
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace Under Pressure is the third book in the Manor House series. And a great book it is, too.

Mr. Bennett, owner of the Manor House, and Grace want to bring the Manor House into current times, so they have a production crew in making a DVD, to sell in the gift shop.

Some small items have gone missing and Grace and Bennett are not sure if it is Bennett's step-daughter or the film crew taking them. About the same time Grace hears from a long time friend who works in a museum in California who warns
❂ Jennifer
A good read overall. I'm a fan of this series characters and this book has a LOT of character development. I felt the murderer was fairly obvious from about halfway through, but the trials that Grace goes through kept my attention and kept me from being frustrated. A pet peeve of mine is authors that don't let their characters listen and Grace did her fair share of not listening and conclusion jumping but I'm hoping this is a one-off and not a sign of things to come.

I enjoyed this story, but not
Lorraine J. Anderson
I never read cozy mysteries before (except for Agatha Christie,) so when I started reading them in order to catch up with a favorite author who has written other types of fiction, I found out how much I enjoyed them. And Julie Hyzy is one of the best cozy mystery authors I've found.

I won't recap the book -- I don't want to give away plot points -- but Grace Among Thieves continues with the high standards I've come to expect from her "Manor House Mystery" series and her "White House Chef Mystery
Lindig
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As someone who lives about five miles from Biltmore House in Asheville NC, I feel a connection to this character and the setting of Marshfield Manor. On the other hand, there's so many improbable events that I found myself groaning a lot and saying "oh please" from time to time. A fast, light read with some fun and some large nits to pick for fun.
Leslie Angel
Hyzy's a reliable author; this one's readable, but I didn't think it was as good as the last one because it was predictable.
Kathy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
An enjoyable light mystery. Grace is a smart woman who's passionate about history and her job as curator at Marshfield Manor. She once again gets involved in solving a murder and some thefts that have happened at the Manor. Some secondary characters add colour including Frances her acerbic assistant and her boss and mentor, Marshfield's owner Bennett.

The plot was not as complex as the first two books, and I guessed who the villain was fairly early. Romance is not a big part of the boo
Pam
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love Julie Hyzy's mysteries. They have interesting settings, wonderful smart strong women as main characters, quirky companions, and the mysteries are deep enough to keep your interest. Grace is a great character, human but not a dummy. I hope Hyzy continues this series and focuses a bit more on the Manor House and Grace's actual job duties there including the art and antiquities.
Marie
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Grace Among Thieves, Grace, the curator and manager of Marshfield Manor, has her hands full with a series of recent thefts, a film crew roaming the manor and the grounds, and Hillary, Bennett Marshfield's daughter, who inflicts havoc wherever she goes. When one of the tourists is found dead and another is injured, Grace becomes involved with the case and could end up losing her heart as well as her life.

When this book showed up in my mailbox, I ripped open the package, shouted "Yippee" and s
Aurian Booklover
Grace loves managing Marshfield Manor in Emberstowne, North Carolina. She loved bringing the mansion into the 21st century and one of the items on her bucket list was taken care of at that moment: a DVD was being filmed of the mansion and its treasures. She wanted to modernize the gift shop, and have some quality merchandise and memorabilia for sale for the many tourists who wandered its halls.
But lately, some small and pricey items have gone missing. Bennett, the owner of the mansion, was susp
Amanda
Original review: http://onabookbender.com/2012/08/24/r...

3.5

Because it had been over a year since reading Grace Interrupted, the second book in the series, it took me a little bit to resettle into the Marshfield Manor and company. Once I did, though, I found myself enjoying this mystery and the cast of characters with only a couple minor exceptions. The biggest aspect that bothered me was the constant reference to the fact that until Grace came to Marshfield Manor, there hadn’t any murders. Whic
Kari Anderson
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the third installment of the Manor House Mysteries, Grace is still getting over the last murder at the manor and hoping to put all of the drama behind them. They are hoping that the new drama will only be in front of the camera. A crew is in town filming a documentary about Marshfield Manor.

But when thieves hit the Manor, the filming may have to be put on hold. Marshfield isn’t the only museum getting hit by thieves. Luckily for Grace, one of the others hit happens to be run by a close frien
Jennifer Brown
This one wasn't bad, but not as good as the other two. It took me awhile to remember the backgrounds of the main characters (it's been over a year since I read book two!). When you got to a certain part, you knew that this person was one of the guilty people. They just made it a little too obvious. Hoping the next one will be better!
Jenna
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
This series keeps getting better. In this third book of the Manor House Mysteries, Grace and the rest of the staff at Marshfield Manor are still trying to recover from the recent murders of former Head Curator, Abe Vargas, and Civil War reenactor, Zachary Kincade. But the reprieve turns out to be short-lived. This time, however, the motives appear to be steeped in thievery.

As Grace Among Thieves begins, a film crew is on the grounds of Marshfield Manor, creating a documentary video to tempt gues
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
It’s been a couple years since Grace to over supervising the Mansfield Manor and she has had a hard go of it. The only reason she got the chance was because the former supervisor was murdered.

There have been several murders since she has taken over and though she worries about how it will take away tourism. She shouldn’t worry about that as it seems to just draw more people in.

There has been a rash of theft in the Manor and they thought they might have a clue who it was but then one of the tours
Debbie
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Grace Among Thieves" is a cozy mystery. It's the third book in the series (after Grace Under Pressure and Grace Interrupted). You don't need to read the previous novels to understand this one, and this one didn't spoil the mystery in the first book though it did spoil who wasn't "whodunit" in the second book.

Reading the previous mysteries in this series gave me a good idea from the beginning of how this one would play out, including whodunit. And I was correct, though I didn't see any obvious c
Ellen
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
"Grace among Thieves" 4 stars

Characters:

Grace Wheaton- curator & manager of Marshfield Manor

Frances- Graces' cantankerous secretary

Bennett Marshfield- octogenarian and owner of Marshfield Manor

This particular author does not need a cute cover for her book(s). She can and does write in such a way that we (the reader) are brought into the story from the get go. Each character has a background that is explained in detail and easily joined into the storyline. I've come to enjoy this series for j
Text Addict
Hyzy continues to be good with characters, especially when they're key to the mystery. Her development of Hillary, the step-daughter of the mansion's owner, was masterful. I still want to see her do more with Terrence Carr, the head of the mansion's security and apparently the only black person in this region of North Carolina (?!), but I'll wait.

It's really hard to say anything more without spoiling the plot, but I found Grace's new developing romance quite believable (as is the demise of her
Matt
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie Hyzy graces us (pardon the pun) with another great Manor House Mystery, as we delve into the world of antiques and sticky fingered guests. We learn a little more about the fall-out between Grace and her potential beau, Jack, as the third novel begins. Marshfield Manor is pushing into the 21st Century with a DVD to bring the tourist into a digital version of the Manor, so there are camera crews all over and more people than can be properly monitored. When a guest is shot and another dies, G ...more
Patty
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Grace" series just keeps getting better. There are more background details being reveilled in Graces' life and her possible ties to Bennett. Hillary is still annoying and Jack is pretty much a walk on character in this book.

Part of Grace's job is to raise the profile of the Mansion, so she has talked Bennett into doing a DVD highlighting the treasures of the home. While the crew is there an "incident" happens and a young woman in one of the tour groups wanders into roped off areas. After a
Laura de Leon

This was a fun read in a fairly typical cozy kind of way. Looking at my reviews of the previous 2 books, this is something of a flashback to the first book for me-- I enjoyed it, but nothing really stands out, or seems like it will stick with me.

Well, except the big scene at the end. I did find myself cheering Grace on and loving the way she was handling the situation, although I can't say why without giving away more than I should.

Grace makes some typical cozy heroine mistakes along th
Judy Alter
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Hyzy has done it again--big time! I've been a fan all along, first of Olivia Paras in the White House series, drawn to her because of my love of culinary novels and the idea of cooking in the White House. Then along came Grace Wheaton, new curator of Marshfield Manor, a magnificent (understatement) mansion open to the public, although the owner lives on the grounds. Grace's first adventures were good reading, plenty of suspense, and Grace comes across as likeable, as do Bennett, the owner ...more
Penny McGill
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
Grace and the Marshfield Manor are two of my favourite characters in the world of cozy mysteries. The Marshfield Manor is so well described and fleshed out that it becomes like a character in the series. Julie Hyzy has invented a town, an industry and an attraction that makes you ache do be able to visit - tea shops, a "Birdcage Room", endless green gardens (and handsome gardeners who work there), it all just cries out for someone to build this so that we can come to it, like the Field of Dreams ...more
Nancy
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This series has the ability to make me anticipate a good mystery read even as I open the book to the 'Acknowledgments' page. I was not let down in my expectations.

Grace Wheaton is a docent and manager of Marshfield Manor, a home that has been opened to the public for enjoyment of the antiques and treasures collected and displayed within. They are open to individuals and tour groups that have interest. There is a small gift store and restaurant for the customers. Security is good, but, as we know
Terri
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how the editors passed this book...there are so many places where the narrative doesn't make sense, or the 'heroine', and I use that word because there isn't another, contradicts herself within the same paragraph, and she's not too bright, either.

The one section I had to read several times is where she's in a hospital waiting room, watching TV and notices a man who, when he hears a breaking news flash, crumples the newspaper he had been hiding behind, spins in his seat and peers ove
Erin L
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think this one is my least favorite in the series so far. I have to balance my TSTL feelings about Grace in this with the reality that women often do exactly what she did. Heck, I've done it. (view spoiler) ...more
Tarri
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Among Thieves is the third installment in the Manor House Mystery series and Marshfield Manor is the setting for yet another murder. In this installment, the Grace has invited a film crew into shoot a DVD about the manor, which will be sold in the gift shop. Things are starting to disappear and then a young woman is pushed off the second floor balcony and a man is shot while the murderer is escaping.

There is a lot of interaction with the other people around Grace (her roommates, kitten, o
  • Peril in Paperback  (A Bibliophile Mystery, #6)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
  • Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3)
  • Deadly Politics (A Molly Malone Mystery, #1)
  • Reap What You Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #6)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • The Azalea Assault (A Garden Society Mystery, #1)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Digs Up the Dirt (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #6)
  • Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #5)
  • Written in Stone (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #4)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Hot Button (Button Box Mystery, #2)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
1020232
Author of the White House Chef Mystery series, including the 2009 Anthony and Barry Award-winning State of the Onion.
Books in the series:

Grace Takes Off
Grace Against the Clock

Oth
More about Julie Hyzy...

Manor House Mystery (8 books)
  • Grace Under Pressure (Manor House Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Grace Takes Off (Manor House Mystery, #4)
  • Grace Against the Clock (Manor House Mystery, #5)
  • Grace Cries Uncle (A Manor House Mystery, #6)
  • Grace Sees Red (A Manor House Mystery, #7)
  • Grace to the Finish (A Manor House Mystery, #8)