Start by marking “Love's Guardian (Georgians Beyond the Pale, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love's Guardian (Georgians Beyond the Pale, #1)

Love's Guardian

(Georgians Beyond the Pale #1)

Declan Deveraux, the Earl of Worthington, is a man who knows one thing for certain – he will never marry for love. With that aim, he pursues only the most vain, and spoiled women of the Ton. Fate has other plans for him, however, and he’s made guardian to Alex Kendrick, a female he likes – God forbid . Now Declan has to get her suitably married, before he succumbs to the ...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love's Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Guardian

Start your review of Love's Guardian (Georgians Beyond the Pale, #1)
Virginia Tican
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was a tedious read. I have no patience with the endless shilly~shallying dance that Declan and Alex frequently indulge in. They have already committed themselves to marriage for protection against Luther (for Alex) and to have an heir (for Declan). Both are aware that love does not feature in their arrangement so I do not get the sulking and posturing that Alex does because Declan does not "love" her and putting her life into the very hands of her grandfather's and father's killers because ...more
Nancy Brady
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Unconventional romance, or not

Alexandra, known as Alex, is an unconventional romantic lead to Declan, her guardian. She prefers breeches to gowns, prefers knives to cutlery and wants to run her estate alone. All this in the time of King George when women didn't own property, generally.
Declan only wants to marry her off to a suitable man in order to protect her and her estate from unscrupulous men like her cousin, who wants the property for himself. Declan though, finds her spirited nature and
Char Chaffin
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dawn Ireland knows how to write a historical. Her debut novel is sumptuous and layered, offering what historical romance readers want most: accurate detail, lush settings, a way to step back and experience another time, and a hero and heroine we want to cheer for.

The fighting between Declan and Alex is as fun to read as the loving is to sigh over. It's a story to savor, and read again and again.

Highly recommended! I look forward to Ms. Ireland's next book -

Char Chaffin, Author of PROMISES TO
Jacqueline
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this up as a freebie on Amazon, fancying something a little different from the contemporary romances I usually read and I was pleasantly surprised at how engrossed I got in it.

There is some great chemistry between Alex and her guardian, Declan and some pretty scorching kisses and hot smut. There was some jeopardy in the form of Alex's cousin, Luthor who's trying to marry Alex so that he can snaffle her estate and some angst thanks to the gloriously bitchy Catrina.

I was engrossed in this
Synergy_Quest
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good except...

This was a well-written, entertaining read. My only gripe is I really don't like reading heroines, who run off into Danger based on the word of someone they know to have ulterior motives. This is pervasive in many historical romances, but I refuse to believe that otherwise smart women would do something so stupid, time and time again. This heroine was more equip than most at defending herself, but she knew her adversary and his underhanded viciousness. Stupid girl!
Vicky Ball
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who enjoy romance novels
As a new reader of historical fiction, I found this novel beautifully descriptive and imaginative. It kept my interest in such a way that I was always keen to begin the next chapter.
Jana Smith
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A light summer read

I am not one to recount the entire story, so apologies to anyone expecting it. This is a nice, easy to read story. I love the characters as they seem real, and very human. Alex, the heroine is a strong woman who wants to protect that which is hers.....fami!y and friends. She's willing to do a great deal to achieve her goals. In addition, she is not afraid to be herself, even if it is not popular. Declan, the hero can see beyond her outer layers to Alex's true self, but is
BD W
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it

Good. I will agree it reads like many strong willed female romances. But I still liked the characters. It wasn’t necessarily fitting for the time period (speech, actions, thought processes) but if you’re not a stickler for such things it was good. I liked how the H let himself fall naturally and she stayed impetuous and passionate throughout. I hate when characters have contradicting actions to their inner thoughts. They’re not true to themselves, but these guys evolved without flipping
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
Love's Guardian +Georgians Beyond the Pale Book 1)

The love story of Alex and Declan. When Alex's grandfather die he left Declan as her guardian. Declan want nothing to. Do with him or any man to rule her. Alex is the last of the direct descendent of the late court, because of this she is now the new countess. Her second cousin want the title and her. Can Declan save her and find love? Great story
Sharon Eikenberry-Deary
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Declan Alex

Grandfather died in an accident and left Alex as a ward. She was so head strong and when she saw her guardian all she could do is remember when she was 12 he brought her to get grandfather. Ups and downs and turn around. She was to be married to keep her estates. Declan excised no one was good enough and was going to do it himself. Problems arise with Luther her cousin and Catrina the one who loved Declan
Mari
The book started off well ....
The hero was the typical. Regency romance hero : fighting and denying his love at every corner

The heroine was immature , and extremely annoying with her love of pulling out her knife when it was truly unnecessary.

Im glad the book was free , i would have been pissed if i had to pay for it.
Sparty
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun

Fun story. Lots of excitement with bad guys and a couple kidnappings. Not your traditional heroine which is what made this story fun. All along you know they will get together and are perfect for each other. There was just a lot of other entertaining stuff going on until they got there.
Maggie Whitworth
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it

If you like Earls , Countess’s , a Legacy , mean Cousin’s ,Ward’s, Kidnappings , Balls , masquerades, lovers , fighters and all the making up afterwards, I’d say this one is for you .
Really entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable.

Ishara Dasruth
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
While a good storyline, this book became a very tedious read. Alex, a rapier wielding heroine who could out throw most men with her knife skills, kept getting injured every couple of chapters. As for the hero, Declan, and his indecisive behaviour...ugh! Not impressed.
Leona Sue Clemmons
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I liked that she was unconventional. That he also was and he put up a good fight but love always wins!
marilyn markowski
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

Another excellent author.A wonderful story, keeps your interest at all times.Read it in two days a book you can't put down
Tom Prejsner
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance

Thank you for sharing these wonderful romance novels series books. Please keep writing more of these wonderful books. Thank you
LaCinda Tilton
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great read

This has drama, action, and a strong female lead. No helpless female here. I wanted to read more and will continue to read this author.
Nerissa Golden
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love these daddy's who let their girls play with sharp objects. Makes for really great sword fights with the heros.
Dorothy Jensik
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

Sure ending to a merry chase and capture. I relished the ending. Will there be a story for Morgan and/or her cousin, Eleanor? I hope so, Dawn. Good writing!
Pamela
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love 's Guardian

This was an amazing read the characters were wonderful.This was interesting full of mystery, drama,excitement and lots of love.I spreading more of your writing 's.
Beverly Robinson
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

This story has it all. It was filled with reluctant lovers, true romance, deception and adventure and a happily ever after ending. It was a fun book.
Michele H Williams
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Old fashion charming love story

This tale reminds me of the style many swashbuckling love stories many books were written in in the '60's. Enjoy the read!
Tamara
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Predictable.

I chose the 3 star rating because of predictability. I love reading good books from different time periods. So many have become cookie cutter versions, as was this one.
Larissa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
For the full effect of this review check the Bookworm blog

Losing her grandfather and being assigned to a guardian, Alex has no idea how truer her feelings are and how completely turned around her life will get when in the company of Declan. As a woman in 1700 she's not supposed to have estates by herself when immediate family have perished; and a cousin's threat will loom over her neck throughout the whole book.

Suffice to say, this book won't be all love and action from 1700, it has so much
C.D. Hersh
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story starts off with the heroine Alexandra Kendrick, attempting to make the guardian chosen by her grandfather upon his death leave at the end of a rapier. The guardian Declan Devereaux, the Earl of Worthington, is a person she wanted never to see again due to what had happened when she was twelve.

From this start the contest between Alexandra, called Alex, and Declan continues through the various issues and problems that arise. Many caused by Alex attempting to get Declan out of her life
Cayla
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Dawn Ireland is clearly talented. The story line is good. Alex and Declan are well-developed characters who provide some decent dialogue. Believe me, the potential is there.

My primary issue with this book is that the author does not transition well from one character's viewpoint to the other. I can't tell you how many occasions I've found that the story jumped from Alex's point of view to Declan's point of view without a page break or a string of symbols (such as three *** in the middle of a
Ann Gonzalez
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quick and satisfying read. Alex's grandfather dies leaving her the ward of Declan Devereaux, Earl of Worthington, man she despises at first. Alex is an intelligent and independent woman. Declan wants to get her married off as soon as possible because he is attracted to her. The story is full of humour and suspense. I did get a little confused when the point if veiw, locations, time, day changed, but nothing that wasn't immediately realized. I look forward to reading more of Dawn Ireland's ...more
Anna
Apr 04, 2016 added it
interesting

Declan, Lord Worthington, is made the guardian of Alexandra, Lady Lochsdale. Alexandra has to marry to get rid of the threats made by her cousin, Luther. Declan tries to fight his attraction to his ward, Alexandra, by courting Lady Catrina.
The novel has all the plot and character elements for a great regency romance. Perhaps in the execution, the dialogue wasn't compelling.enough.
MaryD
I really wanted to like this, but it almost seemed as if big parts of the book were missing. For instance, the beginning refers to how Alex was brought to her grandfather's house by Declan when she was much younger. I would have loved to have read that as part of the story, maybe a prequel? There were other times when a more in-depth exploration of a plot point would have enhanced the story line, but instead the story skated on the surface so many times.

• The Marker
  • Three Lessons in Seduction (A Shadows and Silk Novel)
  • Lady Charlotte's Marquess (The Heir and a Spare #2)
  • Lady In Distress (The Langley Sisters, #3)
  • The Devil of Dunmoor
  • Redeeming the Earl (PERFECT SERIES COMPANION Book 3)
  • Don't Tie the Knot (Wedding Trouble, #1)
  • A Dangerous Deceit (The Thief-Takers, #3)
  • The Bricklayer's Helper (Archer Family, #2)
  • The Dashing Widow (Regency Romps, #1)
  • Taming Miss Tisdale
  • Dukes Prefer Bluestockings (Wedding Trouble, #2)
  • Duchess by Chance (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • The Duke's Temptation (Men of Circumstance, #1)
  • Touched by Danger (Sinclair and Raven #3)
  • Lady In Demand (The Langley Sisters, #2)
  • Sarah's Duke: and Ellie's Gentleman (The heir and a spare)
  • Where Hearts Meet (Jasmine Cottage Book 1)
“Once Upon a Time” are four of Dawn’s favorite words. Her love of story became a love of romance when she read Georgette Heyer’s, Devil’s Cub. It inspired her to write stories with strong characters that discover love is never easy, but always worthwhile.

Dawn’s written several award-winning novels set in Georgian England – an era filled with rules and intrigue. Her characters often defy “Society”

Georgians Beyond the Pale (2 books)
  • The Perfect Duke (Georgians Beyond the Pale, #2)