Start by marking “Ring of Secrets (The Culper Ring, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ring of Secrets (The Culper Ring, #1)

Ring of Secrets

(The Culper Ring #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  957 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
This exciting romantic spy novel from Roseanna M. White combines fascinating cloak-and-dagger secrets with a tale of love and intrigue during the Revolutionary War.

Published March 2013 by Harvest House

To ask other readers questions about Ring of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ring of Secrets

Staci
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
A unique approach for a novel set during the Revolutionary War. Main character Winter is a conduit of information for the Patriots that pretends to be dense and shallow. It was comical and masterful to read how well she played her role. I especially enjoyed the symbols used to share information with her counterpart such as a necklace with three strands indicating the message was left in the third hiding place.

The secondary characters were fabulous. To avoid spoilers I won't share anything beyond
Loraine
The beginning of this historical Revolutionary War series starts with a bang and was interesting from start to finish. Winter Reeves, the daughter of a Patriot, is living with her Tory grandparents since the death of her mother whom her grandparents had labeled as "no good" due to her marrying beneath her class. They are determined that Winter will make a good marriage. But Winter is a Patriot at heart and soon finds herself playing a double role as a Tory witless debutante and a Patriot spy gat ...more
Sarah Grace
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+ for romantic\explicit content
I can't really say this was my favorite Roseanna M White book (A Name Unknown still holds first place) but it was still pretty good, and I enjoyed it! The characters were great, and the storyline fascinating. I loved the Revolutionary War setting. The romance was a bit much for me personally, so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Overall, an enjoyable read!

CONTENT NOTE: A character calls the MC derogatory names, as well as insinuates that she is illegitimate. There is also mentions of m
Hannah
This was really good! I'm excited to read more of the series, but I wish there were some sort of sequel specifically with these two characters...too bad they didn't need to spy on anything shortly after the end of this book. I am looking forward to reading their son's adventure in the next book.
The suspense and action is great. I especially enjoyed the plucky heroine; no matter how she felt, she didn't let people walk all over her.
Amber Stokes
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
Ring of Secrets is one well-choreographed masquerade, but the high stakes and the desperate situations make the story anything but a party for Winter Reeves. Longing to make a difference for her father's cause, Winter endures abuse from her grandparents, overtures from high-society men who don't understand her true nature, and suspense brought about by her role as a spy as she delivers messages via her childhood friend, Robbie. But as her life becomes more and more complicated - and dangerous - ...more
Tweety
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: georgian
Not a bad book to read when you're out of power! It can't quite replace my favorite by this author's, but it's excellent all the same. And this heroine is very funny, she says the stupidest things, but her stupidity hides her wit and her loyalties.
Andrea Cox
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenges-2013
Great story of espionage in the late 1700s. Totally forgot to review this one. Will add this book back to my TBR pile.
writer...
Another of Ms White's well executed novels of intrigue. Suspense and twists kept me reading long after I should have been sleeping!
Gracelyn Buckner
4.75 Stars

This was really, really wonderful! I've been wanting to read it ever since it came out. I was thinking about how I wanted to do the review last night, and I decided I needed a new reviewing system. (Yes, I know, most of you are groaning right now, but it's just not working out.) So here my new system is:

~wonderfuls~

characters

Mrs. White did a wonderful job developing her characters, while still keeping the reader in suspense. Such as (view spoiler)
(Liene)
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A bit hard to get into at first, but it was very well worth reading! I loved this story! It was a perfect blend of faith, love, espionage and history. It was fun and had a lot of meaning at the same time.

The characters had me laughing and smiling and my heart pounding! Wonderful characters, both a mix of real historical figures and fictional ones, they made me care about them all.

The subtle, yet extremely clever wit put into a lot of the dialogue, especially in the first half of the book, was v
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for romance, mild violence and some subject matter
Best for Ages: 13 and up

When I got the email from Roseanna White saying I had won her Culper Ring series, I was ecstatic! I love books, history, and mystery, and free things, so it couldn’t get much better. I waited for the books to come in the mail and started reading the first one as soon as I opened the package.

Winter was a fascinating character. I don’t think I have read a book about a very smart girl pretendin
Jerry
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The beginning of this book drove me crazy, with all the family drama, and the protagonist debating about who to marry. Towards the end, it got better...but, I'm not sure if it was worth sitting through all that mess for the conclusion.
Rachelle Cobb
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What I Loved

I enjoyed this book so much. What I loved first was that I was plunged immediately into Winter's story. I knew right away she was keeping up a masquerade for a very important reason, that there's danger and intrigue and an important cause...and there's so much I didn't know. So I kept reading.

In fact, I read the opening scene twice just to relish in the beauty of it. Not kidding.

Winter's mask is a complicated one, but one she carries off so well. She has the entire city of New York b
Melanie
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R30H6J9Z...
Review on my blog (to be posted 6/24): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Ring of Secrets was so good! It had pretty much everything I look for in a historical novel - great characters, interesting story, history, good message, and a little suspense! An added bonus was the whole spy aspect - coded messages with invisible ink, secret ring of spies, etc. - loved that!

Ring of Secrets did start a tad bit slow (at least in my opinion), bu
Faye
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent Revolutionary adventure!

Ms. White did an excellent job of bringing the Colonial Era to life with all of it's spies and dangers, fraught with political tension.

The characters were well built, and never boring. I especially loved Winter, because she was a strong, yet vulnerable character, and very quick witted, who was far more than what met the eye, and more than even Bennett saw at first. She was a character made complex by her many layers, and she was the kind of heroine that I as
Christy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This is one of those moments where I have to remind myself to not always judge a book by it's cover. This cover does very little justice to a heartwarming, quick-witted, faith-filled spy!! I never would have read this had I not got a small introduction to Roseanna White's writing in a novella. I find her style very engaging and loaded with witty dialogue that is not silly but quite humorous. Many names to keep up with in this read and I loved that; many faces and many twists and turns without la ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really wanted to like this one more than I did. I guess I had high expectations because I enjoyed the author’s previous book, Love Finds you in Annapolis, Maryland. Towards the end I just wanted to be finished, maybe part of that was because it took me a few days to get through it when I usually can finish a book in a few hours. I felt like I had been with the story and characters for a long time and was loosing interest. I did like the setting, I don’t know too much about the revolutionary wa ...more
JoJo Sutis
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it-2013
WOW!!! this book totally blew me away!! So so so good! Romance, strong heroine, danger, secrets, all the good stuff.
This story pulled me on from the beginning and did not let go... Find my complete VIDEO review here...
Bess
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Good mystery...nice twists and intrigue!
Gwendolyn Gage
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Winter Reeves is the picture of brainless eye-candy every Loyalist gentleman hopes for in a wife. But that's all it is. A picture. The real Winter Reeves is a Patriot spy, feeding the information her suitors tell her to the Culper Ring, based in the City of New York. Bennet Lane returns to the city fresh from Yale, and with an inheritance that quickly grabs the attention of Winter's grandparents. He's suffers the idea everyone is quick to peg him with--that he's come to New York in search of a w ...more
Erin
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Winter Reeves wants to do something for the cause during the Revolutionary War. Her friend Robbie Townsend is a part of George Washington's spy network, known as the Culper Ring, and Winter keeps her ear to the ground as she is courted by a British officer. She pretends to be a feather-brained socialite to appease her grandparents and throw off all suspicion that she could be involved in the Patriot cause.

New to the city of New York, Bennet Lane has arrived with the express purpose of finding me
Charity U
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful opening to a new series by Roseanna M. White! I haven’t read just a whole lot of books set in the Revolutionary War, so I was looking forward immensely to the this book and to the upcoming ones. While I did end up preferring Roseanna’s Biblical fiction (the only one I’ve read is Jewel of Persia, and I loved it!), this book was very enjoyable as well. It’s a spy story through and through, with suspense and mystery blended seamlessly. The heroine, a girl named Winter, was someone ...more
Katie

This is my second attempt at reading this book. I love the Revolutionary War period but I don't find many books set during this time. However, I lost interest the first time I tried to read it. But I recently read a non-fiction book about the Culper Spy ring and remembered this book. So I read it again and with the background I had acquired about the Spy Ring, I was interested in this story and the take on the unknown female spy in the Culper Ring. I also enjoyed the perspective of th
Kate
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-new-authors
Oh, wow!
This book had me from the get-go, with Winter hiding her secrets behind her 'unintelligent girl' routine. I loved how we got to see her true heart through her interactions with Freeman, Townsend, in her memories, and especially in her relationship with God. I also enjoyed getting to know Ben through his thoughts, and wondered what he would think when all was brought to light, or even if it would be at all!
There was plenty of action, a little flirtation of romance, and at least one moment
Samantha
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What a fantastic read! Set during the revolution, Winter become involved as a spy for general Washington in NY. Will she be able to help the patriots out without giving herself away amongst all the loyalist? Will Bennett be able to find out who the inner spy's are before it's too late? Will Winter ever show her true colors to him?

This was filled with humor and suspense throughout. Rosanne does an excellent job with historical/spy/romance stories!
Aerykah
This book is great! I really enjoyed it!
When I read The Lost Heiress, I thought I had hit the jackpot. An author who specializes in telling a compelling historical fiction story (with a smidge of romance) that's clean and has a Biblical message? Sign me up. Unfortunately, I've discovered that I'm enjoying her books less and less and this one is no exception. I hope I like the next book in this series more.

I'm short time, so I'll keep this short.

What I liked:
1) How clean this was.
2) No real ow/om drama.
3) MCs who actually take their
Missy
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a more 2 1/2 stars for me. It was a good book and I enjoyed the plot line, but some portions were kind of boring with no action. There were a lot of characters for me, and I had to keep reminding myself who was who.

The story centers around Winter Reeves who has come to live with her grandparents after her parents' deaths and her friendships with Townsand, a British officer, Bennett Lane, a Yale professor, and Robbie, her childhood friend, and a spy ring. Bennett Lane is sent to New Yor
Megan
I greatly enjoyed reading this book and learning more about the Culper Ring! It was very interesting and well researched. I love when books spark my interest in their topics and make me want to research more about them. This book definitely did that! I enjoyed the characters and story. The spiritual thread worked well and didn't feel forced. I look forward to reading the rest in this series!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Winter Reeves is an aristocratic Patriot forced to hide her heart amid the Loyalists of the City of New York. She has learned to keep her ears open so she can pass information on British movements to Robbie Townsend, her childhood friend, and his spy ring. If she's caught, if she's hung for espionage...well, she won't be. Robbie has taught her the tools of the trade: the wonders of invisible ink, drop locations and, most importantly, a good cover.
Bennet Lane returns to New York
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
  • The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow (Avenue of Dreams, #2)
  • My Hope Is Found (The Cadence of Grace, #3)
  • A Reluctant Courtship (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #3)
  • The Imposter (Legacy of Love #3)
  • Waiting for Spring (Westward Winds, #2)
  • Rebellious Heart
  • The Governess of Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides, #1)
  • Her Good Name
  • Love Comes Calling
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Trouble in Store
  • Sisters of Mercy Flats (Sisters of Mercy Flats #1)
  • Burning Sky
  • Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County, #2)
  • A Captain for Laura Rose
Roseanna M. White is a bestselling, Christy Award nominated author who has long claimed that words are the air she breathes. When not writing fiction, she’s homeschooling her two kids, editing, designing book covers, and pretending her house will clean itself. Roseanna is the author of a slew of historical novels that span several continents and thousands of years. Spies and war and mayhem always ...more

The Culper Ring (3 books)
  • Whispers from the Shadows (The Culper Ring, #2)
  • Circle of Spies (The Culper Ring, #3)
“Let innocence be your mask.
Let your beauty hide your heart.
Let your enemies count you a friend.
Let no one see your true self.”
3 likes