Start by marking “Summer of the Red Wolf” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Red Wolf

Summer of the Red Wolf

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  238 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A writer arrives on the Western Isles looking for peace of mind, but his meeting with three strangers completes a magical square that sets off a tale of madness and terror.
Mass Market Paperback, 220 pages
Published 1973 by New English Library (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Red Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Red Wolf

Lucie Novak
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Czech in 1978. I liked it. It was so exotic, the Scottish islands. I always wanted to read it in English, but I did not remember the name or the name of the author. And I thought it was Winter with Red Wolf or something like that. Close. I finally found it. It is still exotic,it made me want to travel to those islands- Skye, Lewis, or other. It is a psychological analysis of a relationship between two very different men. Plus a love story. What else do you want?
Jim
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2fiction, 1audio
Not my normal read. The small cast of characters is set in the modern isles of Scotland. It's about a few people interacting, especially two very tough men, both pretty worn by life. It's a relationship story that would never be my first pick for reading - HOWEVER - I really liked it.

The story itself didn't grab me, at first. I'm not into how other guys think or pissing contests between them, but this story went far beyond that. There was a lot of mystery in the characters. We never fully know t
Janet
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my all-time favorite books. It's a story about a man, identified only as Seannachie, who goes to Scotland to visit an old friend. There he meets Red Ruarri MacTyre: a man who lives by old codes, some of them violent. The two men form an unlikely brotherhood, and Seannachie is drawn into Ruarri's life and into rivalry for the exceptional woman they both desire.

To tell more of the story would involve spoilers. Suffice to say, this is a deeply engaging story of people who find themse
Maimoona Rahman
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer of the Red Wolf is a book that explains ambitious people in a way that makes them look almost murderous: respectful of a rival’s strengths yet wanting to pick a fight with them.

An unnamed writer and war veteran, who’s nicknamed Seannachie, is sick of overanalysing life, politics, and people. He runs into an old friend, Alistair Morrison, in Rome who invites him to his home in the Western Isles. On his way, Seannachie meets an adventurous fisherman, Ruarri, who then turns out to be enmeshe
Charles
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I originally read this in a Reader's Digest condensed form and liked it so much I bought the regular hardback. A good book, lots of adventure and a good character.
Mary
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
A writer, accustomed to writing about the troubled spots of the world and living in the hustle and bustle of the cities, decides to take time off in order to recharge his spirit and find a certain peace of mind. He travels to the Western Outer Isles of Scotland, known as the Outer Hebrides, and settles in and around the islands of Lewis and Harris. His arrival to the area and his friendships with two young men, as well as his love for one young woman, Kathleen, provide the spark that ignites a d ...more
Julie
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Overall it was a much different book than I normally read(I went shopping and picked up about 20 books and half of them I knew nothing except the title or their appearance) there is no plot, it's 100% about the characters, there are some themes, like the love triangle between the Ruarri and the main guy, can't remember his name, and Kathleen, and the 'battle' between the two men. Ultimately I liked it but the writer gets lost most of the time and describes a single thing, emotion, or situation w ...more
Maggie Scheck geene
This is probably my favorite Morris West book. It has by far my favorite first line of any book I have ever read, and characters that make you want to stay engaged with and will come to love. Their lives intertwine in ways that cause great pain and even greater joy.
Jeanette
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a different Morris West novel that I wasn't sure how to rate it. No wars or espionage, only slight hints of religion yet still a book that made you think about it when it wasn't in your hand. Such an excellent writer!
Arthur Sylvester
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the only book I've read three times. A love story. By the third reading, I didn't think quite so much of the book as I did the first two times.
Cikgu Tan
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First real novel I read. Picked it up for RM1 at a book shop in the 80s and it shows me the joy of a well-written novel. It started me reading.
Angie Ines
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mientras lo leía, sentí que el viaje no solo lo había hecho el protagonista, sino yo como lectora. Y creo que esa era la idea inicial del autor: que el lector se pusiera en la piel del protagonista y emprendiera un viaje espiritual mientras corrían las paginas. De hecho, nunca nos enteramos el nombre del protagonista, a quien el Lobo Rojo llama Seannachie (narrador en gaélico). Quizá su mayor defecto es que el comienzo es algo lento, pero a medida que avanza la historia se pone mas interesante ...more
Jono Mcdermott
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice balance of intelligent writing and comic content. I was hoping that it would be a welcome break from novels exploring personal relations, but alas on this point alone I was disappointed.
Daniela Stefania
Me gustó, aunque al principio pueda ser lento, me gustó la historia.
S. Murphy
Though the writing is carefully crafted in this novel, the book itself simply doesn't hold up in this century.
Johnusacitizen
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suraj B
Dramatically narrated by Stanley McGeagh, Summer Of The Red Wolf by Morris West is the riveting story of one man who struggled to deal with and ultimately overcome the complexities and torments of his everyday life. Traveling to Scotland to fight his own inner demons, he discovers love, honor, and himself along the way. Morris West is an experienced and accomplished novelist whose books have been translated into 27 language. Summer Of The Red Wolf, which brilliantly showcases those feelings of r ...more
Julie
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars. Novel set in Scotland, a man arrives to stay with a friend and get away from everything, where he meets Ruarri the “red wolf”. Ruarri is a free spirit, adventurous, living on the edge of legality with his various endeavors, and influences those he meets—both in good and bad ways. A doctor is also visiting and both the man and Ruarri are interested in her, setting up a conflict. A lot of Celtic tradition is woven throughout.
Ed
I read this book when it was a new publication and remembered it with a leading character who was extremely strong-minded and always knew what action to take. When I reread it twenty five years later, I didn't particularly care for it.

Novel - An unnamed writer and war veteran, who’s nicknamed Seannachie, is sick of overanalyzing life, politics, and people. He runs into an old friend, Alistair Morrison, in Rome who invites him to his home in the Western Isles.
Trish Boese
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
2* This is a book unlike any I've read. The setting is unique; the lonely isles of Scotland and the sea. The characters are unnerving and hard to understand. Faith isn't part of the story, and the characters lack morals. I did enjoy the story and the poetic way it was written, even if I didn't understand it.
Joan Mauch
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite books. I've read it so many times, the pages are falling out and one cover is missing. Morris West writes beautifully and despite it's age the book's message remains current.
Miro
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it is only the translation (Slovak by M. Brandoburova) or the book itself, but it was boring me from the start. After 20 pages I had to skip few pages because I was wondering if it will be less boring later on, but it was the same. I finished at page 40 unsatisfied.
Karen Elizabeth
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my first book by this author, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of writing, the complexity of the characters & relationships. the story is masculine & rather brutal, but I'm still glad I persevered. fascinating. will definitely seek out more by this author.
Kris
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Masterfully written story of a writer who travels to the Western Isles looking for inner peace and solitude. He finds quite a bit more than he expected, in the unlikely relationships formed during his travels. This is one of those thought-provoking novels that continues to stir emotions.
Verfaille Dirk
hard book
Michelle & Tony
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book that I was lucky enough to have picked up at a car boot sale quite cheaply.
it was entertaining, if a bit dated.
Vaijayanthi
Wow ! Great story . Almost mystical in treatment , reminding me of Daphne Du Maurier's "Flight Of The Falcon," which is, to me, her best book .
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lovely style, I just wish the story had gone somewhere else.
Mary
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Micromachismos ...
Margareth8537
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Unusual story which I read because of its Scottish setting. Actually a very interesting thriller
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Friends
  • So Happy Together
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • A Little Death
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Falling Angels
  • A Ruling Passion
Morris Langlo West was born in St Kilda, Melbourne in 1916. At the age of fourteen, he entered the Christian Brothers seminary ‘as a kind of refuge’ from a difficult childhood. He attended the University of Melbourne and worked as a teacher. In 1941 he left the Christian Brothers without taking final vows. In World War II he worked as a code-breaker, and for a time he was private secretary to form ...more
More about Morris West

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand