Start by marking “Troll Or Derby” as Want to Read:
Troll Or Derby

Read Excerpt

Troll Or Derby

(Trollogy)

In Troll Or Derby, fifteen-year-old Roller Deb is singled out by town bullies for both her skates, and for being different. When her popular homecoming queen of a sister is kidnapped by a scuzzy drug dealer, Deb must flee the trailer park in which she's grown up, and rescue her. Along the way, Deb becomes enmeshed in the magical realm of trolls and fairies, and the blood-t ...more
Published June 14th 2012 by Createspace (first published June 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Troll Or Derby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troll Or Derby

Elicia Cheah
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

Detailed Review: I love everything about this book. The cover, the story, the characters, the setting you name it. If I was given the chance to say more about it, I would just say that it was an extraordinary read for me, something that was not mundane and doesn't occur daily.

I drank everything in, from start to end and I realise something. Even though with something like roller derby mixed in together with fantasy suc
Ian
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of dystopian fairy tales.
Recommended to Ian by: Leslie Fear
Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'Roller Derby

"Interrogating a pixie isn't as fun as it sounds. I tried
to keep it nice, but the little guys are vicious biters, and
I may have squished one."

description

Roller Deb is 15, she lives in a trailer with her mom who despises her, her home-coming queen sister, and she's the target of town bullies.
When her sister is kidnapped by the local mafia she finds help from an unlikely source.

Harlow is a troll who doesn't remember his past. All he knows is he has to protect Roller D
Karin Cox
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ever heard about those indie authors who have huge success doing something very different? Like writing fairy erotica, or dragon soap opera? Well, what about dark Urban Fantasy featuring gritty troll-and-fairy roller derby with a gay lead? Sound weird? It is. But don’t be put off. Red Tash‘s new novel Troll or Derby manages to combine all of that in a way that is edgy, fresh, and original. It is a page-turning quick read that pulls no punches, and despite its sometimes dark themes, it will appea ...more
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

I was super duper lucky enough to receive a copy of Troll or Derby for review from the author herself and couldn’t wait to jump into a new world of Red’s.

Late last year I won a copy of This Brilliant Darkness which I enjoyed, and upon starting Troll or Derby I was engulfed by her writing again.

She is definitely one of those authors who has a style to her work – I’m not sure I can pin it down to a certain th
Mercedes Yardley
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s easy to weary of the traditional fae in literature. They’re gorgeous, ephemeral little things with delicate wings. While such ethereality can be charming in small doses, I would prefer fae with more bite. A little more teeth. And a lot more rock and roll.

Then Red Tash’s Troll or Derby came blowing through the doors and my prayers were answered. Enter Roller Deb, a normal (?) girl with a fierce love for skating. We’re introduced to 15-year-old Deb when she’s trying to rush into a flaming tr
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5
If I had stopped somewhere around half of this story, I would have rated it five stars. However it is like two different books written by two different authors. The first is great: the setting, a prophecy, the build-up, the mystery and the wonderful way of introducing the protagonists (a fairy and a troll bonded when they were children) and their adversaries. There are too many things to list.
The other half is full of inconsistencies, the things that needed an explanation and there is absolu
Red Tash
Jun 14, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Audiobook just released! Available on iTunes, Audible.com, and Amazon.
Bodie P
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not Just A Pretty Face...

So Red Tash has a new Kindle book available on Amazon, Troll Or Derby, and I managed to score a pre-release review copy, and wasn’t that a lucky day for me? I’m familiar with her quirky, fun characters from her Amazon Shorts—check out “The Wizard Takes a Holiday” for a fast, fun example—so I was somewhat prepared for the folks I met when I opened Troll Or Derby. There’s Roller Deb herself, of course: a teenage girl from a bad neighborhood just about everybody in town ass
Jessica McHugh
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Original and Entertaining

I would like to start this review by stating that I'm also an author. I do this not for promotion, but to illustrate how much I love "Troll or Derby." When JK Rowling came out with the "Harry Potter" series, I was angry at myself. Why didn't *I* think of that?! This is the exact feeling I had while reading Red Tash's "Troll or Derby." I wish I'd had this idea. I also wish I was the main character, Roller Deb.

Red Tash created a world unlike any other. It seems as real as
Red Dwyer
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Red Tash smashes stereotypical fantasy character types with the seedy underbelly of a rural town near you. In a gripping allegory of the "white trash" trailer park, along with its fancy trips to the big box store, Tash spins a web of fast-paced events with seamless intersections between roller derby fairies with drug slinging trolls and the harsh reality of life on the street for teenage runaways caught in the switches of the identity malaise which grips humans of that age.

The characters are ear
Kristy Carey
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow... Its been a while since books have yanked me in so far, that I almost have to pull myself back into the real world. Between Lady of the Veils and Troll or Derby, I've been reminded of why the very idea of Urban Fantasy, by my definition, appeals to me.

The reader is in for a unique, one of a kind trip out of the world we know and into a world filled with variations of the fairy world we all know and love. The trip Red Tash takes the reader on is fast paced and filled with action. Each switc
Margaret Radisich
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not Tinker Bell

Full of fairies, ghouls, and a few humans (or at least those that think they are humans). I love fantasy novels because the authors have such amazingly vivid imaginations; that being said, Red's writing talent and her ability to draw the reader in has placed her books at the number one spot in this genre as far as I am concerned.

The book was fun & exciting with a little terror thrown in; the fae are not cute and sweet, but are mean with pointy teeth! Her characters were magnet
Alisa
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is fairy and troll fantasy that flips over the handlebars of your normal ride through a fairy fantasy, and skids you into bloody gravel instead - while making funny and sarcastic remarks in the process. Not the usual gorgeous world depicted in fairy stories where everyone is beautiful, ethereal and kind, and unicorns are virtuous -- in Troll or Derby, even the unicorns are badass and willing to use that horn to settle a score. Set in rural Indiana, fantasy and reality blur against the backd ...more
Lauren
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I downloaded this book to my kindle about 2 hours before hurricane Sandy knocked my electricity out for a week, and was very glad I did. A good book has the uncanny ability to make a shitty situation way more bearable, and when that book contains faeries, roller derby, lesbians, and an assload of music references, all the more so. The storyline was funny and the characters cool, and I'm not gonna lie, I developed a little crush on Harlow.

I thought it kinda took a while to get going though, and t
Kitty Austin
Jul 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
Book Title: "Troll Or Derby”
Author: Red Tash
Published By: Self-Published
Age Recommended: 14+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: I have NEVER read a book like this before. Red Tash definitely has the ability to come up with some interesting and never before heard of plots. When Roller Deb's sister is kidnapped not only does she have to figure out how to save her, but she ends up gaining help from creatures one would never have thought to exist. The book being centered around the Roll
Edel
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not everything is as it seems in peaceful Bedrock Indiana.We are quickly thrown into the action by Roller Derby loving heroine Debra as she is rescuing her sister Gennifer from a Fae Meth Lab fire. Deb gets Gen to hospital then not long afterwards finds out she was kidnapped( sisters are hard work sometimes!!!) . Deb alerts their no good mother and then begins on the hunt for her sister with the help of Harlow .. the charming Troll who lives in the dump....
SO begins the search .. it takes them t
Zoe
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dark-fantasy, ebook
So, I finished Troll or Derby today, and then I slammed two double rum and cokes to stop my shaking. I also got out my tobacco and chain-smoked two ciggies in a row. It's times like this when I wish I was sane, and that books didn't have so much power over me. But I completely lost it over my feelings of betrayal for how badly this book turned out in the end.

I started off loving this story, praising it with every chapter update I did on Twitter. And then right around the 50% mark, it all went ho
Jonquil
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'Troll or Derby' is a visit to the darker side of Fae & Troll-folk, with drug dealing, roller derby, and a (maybe) human girl in the middle of it all.

Quote #1: "I mean, you've seen movies, you've read Rowling & Tolkein. I'm telling you that the real-live working-class trolls of the Midwest are nothing like you've been told." (page 9, paragraph 5)
Not to give anything away, but Tash has blended Trolls & Amish so seamlessly that it gives pause to consider that, perhaps, there might be
John Hundley
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Troll or Derby is Paranormal Americana at its best. It starts out at a dead run as teenaged Roller Deb rescues her older sister from a meth lab fire and the pace only increases from there. Ms. Tash is a former journalist, and it shows. There is not a wasted word in the whole story. There’s no time for background explanations or character development. You need to keep your head up and your eyes and ears open and get ready to duck ‘cause the next thing’s coming at you already. Yet somehow, amidst ...more
Rachel Eliason
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Meth-addicted trailer park trolls? I loved it. Troll or derby is set in a re-imagined rural Indiana filled with trailer parks, drug dealers, rednecks, the Amish and of course roller derby; all existing alongside an alternate world of trolls and fairies. These unusual combinations blend smoothly thanks to Red Tash's superb story telling.

Deb has grown up an adopted child to an abusive and drunk mother, forced to watch over her step-sister Gennifer, who is dangerously irresponsible most of the tim
Jessica Bronder
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deb lives in the small town of Bedrock Indiana. It is a little farming town and she stands out like a sore thumb. Unlike her beautiful sister that is always winning beauty titles and is spoiled by their drunken mother, Deb is into roller derby and wears dark, unpopular cloths. Because of that, she is constantly the victim of bullies and harassment. Deb tries not to let that affect her while she spends her time looking after her big sister Gennifer. Gennifer has been hanging around this drug deal ...more
M.L. John
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Troll or Derby by Red Tash is an urban fantasy about a girl named Deb. Deb lives in rural Pennsylvania with her mother, an alcoholic, and her sister Gennifer, a beautiful girl with a big problem: she’s become involved with a dangerous meth dealer named Dave. Deb has always felt protective of her sister, so when Dave kidnaps Gennifer, Deb knows she has to rescue her from whatever twisted plan he has in store.
Everything gets weird(er) when Deb’s mother finds out Gennifer’s been kidnapped. She goe
Claudia
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Troll or Derby and all I have to say is, it’s been a long time since I felt such a rush from reading a book (it wasn’t from the faeth, I swear)! The title itself says it all...you’re in for a rockin’ good ride.

The world of trolls and fairies Tash has created is beyond what you’ve come to expect from other troll/fairy books. In fact, this might be one of the best troll/fairy stories I’ve had the pleasure of reading. The characters in her world are nitty, gritty, raw, and real...ve
Astrid Yrigollen
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I had to read this book once I saw this great cover and the author's picture. The cover because it is beautifully done and promises so much. I also collect BJds(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46...) which this cover reminded me of, hence instant grabby hands for me.

The authors picture. How can you not love that face??Cute ,sweet and yet that mischievous /impish personality comes through. Plus, she happens to look a lot like my sister.

Okay so maybe I was a little bias.

Anyone who is tired of
Helen
I wanted to love this book so bad but I just didn't get on with it. I found the story too far-fetched and the characters didn't grab me.

The idea is fun, a teenage girl doesn't realise she's actually a fairy until her sister is kidnapped by a troll but are too many holes in the story and too much that doesn't make sense. The plot jumps around so fast that the scenes are never filled out and allowed to come to life.

Why was Deb's sister kidnapped? And why was she left as her protector anyway? That
Lourie
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow – what a ride. I think that Troll Or Derby is one of my new favorites. Red Tash has done an amazing job with this YA Saga.

The flip flop story telling from the two main characters keeps the action moving pulling you to the next chapter and then the next. Just try putting this book down, I dare you.

Enormous Trolls, Fledgling Fairies – Roller Derby (who doesn’t love the roller derby?) and lest not us for get the witty 80’s lyrics. OMG did I forgot to mention the pixies.

There is nothing typica
Talk Supe
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full review at Talk Supe

Aside from the comical but adventure-filled story, the tale was told in alternating POV's from Deb and Harlow which I find cool because it's always nice to know what the guy was thinking when caught in critical moments like marriage and being in love. More importantly I LOVE the villain, Jarod McJagger, the name alone is wicked indeed and he is relentless in ensuring that he gets what he wants. Too bad Roller Deb and Harlow is a tag team worthy of their championship belt,
Mona
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was fantastic. The read was very smooth and entertaining the whole way. Every chapter is a back and forth dance between Harlow and Roller Deb. I loved that Harlow was not your typical overyly gorgeous male character and yet by the end I was oddly attracted to him and his tusks. Also Deb was neither a bad A or a push over. She seemed rough around the edges due to her living conditions and yet was bery vunerable at the same time. The whole book felt like a you were on a roller derby rink ...more
Heather Adkins
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Troll or Derby is a fast-paced, snarky ride from beginning to end. It incorporates sharp-toothed fairies, obnoxious pixies, faeth-dealing trolls, and an unwitting couple--fairy Deb and Harlow the troll--who manage to bumble along, all the while slashing through enemies, carrying around teeth and skates, and doing a little growing up in the process. Red Tash is an eloquent writer, and Troll or Derby is a fresh take on the YA genre; many people write about fairies, but not quite like this. Recomme ...more
Axel Howerton
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
More brilliance from Red Tash, author of THIS BRILLIANT DARKNESS. A modern day, adult-oriented dark fantasy. Like True Blood, but better. Less soap opera saucy, more ass-kicking savagery, wild derby chicks, monsters and mayhem. All of that, and more, in one of the most assured voices to emerge in this new era of self-pub and digital reading. Thrilling, charming and entertaining as hell. I loved the @$#% out of this book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Troll or Derby: A Fairy Wicked Tale" by Red Tash 1 2 Jul 20, 2013 08:55AM
Book Junkies: September: Troll or Derby by Red Tash 15 31 Nov 24, 2012 01:12PM
Ask Red Tash: Questions about Troll Or Derby 4 14 Sep 30, 2012 12:53PM
Edgy YA: Troll or Derby 2 12 Sep 27, 2012 04:56AM
The Indie Bookshelf: Troll Or Derby: A Fairy Wicked Tale 2 17 Aug 16, 2012 04:30PM
E.Y.A.B.: Troll or Derby 2 25 Aug 02, 2012 10:32AM
Book Junkies: Troll Or Derby, a roller derby fairy story 3 26 Aug 01, 2012 03:54PM
  • I Kiss Girls
  • Indomitable (Intangible, #0.75)
  • The End
  • The Keeper and the Rune Stone (The Black Ledge Series, #1)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Demimonde, #1)
  • Orchid, Volume 1
  • Waiting Game
  • She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #2)
  • Be There Now: Travel Stories from Around the World
  • Who I Am
  • Channel Zero
  • Tallis (Books of Andresium, #1)
  • Talon of the Unnamed Goddess
  • Dark Revelation
  • I Don't Remember You
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Mr Right and Other Mongrels
  • Conundrum
Author of Dark Fantasy books Troll Or Derby, This Brilliant Darkness, and The Wizard Tales.

Trollogy (4 books)
  • Let it Snow! Season's Readings for a Super-Cool Yule!
  • A Unique Rabbit (A Laurents County Easter story)
  • Troll Or Park
“Only the wicked understand the ways of the wicked, my dear. ~Madame Zelda to Roller Deb” 8 likes
“Oh, hell. You're a fairy," I said.

"Yeah," he said. "You know, they call it 'being gay' nowadays, but sure, whatever.”
6 likes