Start by marking “Whistle Blowing” as Want to Read:
Whistle Blowing

Whistle Blowing

Official Description: Former Navy medic Sebastian Thompson has classic good looks and a true blue heart. But that doesn’t mean he has the confidence to make a move on the gorgeous young blond who just breezed in to the Blue Dragon Bar. Fate will play its hand, anyway. Finding the same young blond beaten to the edge of death, terrified of a hospital, Sebastian has to choose ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Whistle Blowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whistle Blowing

Start your review of Whistle Blowing
A Girl Has No Name
Whistle Blowing is really hard to rate! When I read the prompt for this story and saw the very inspiring picture, I was sure that this would be a great read, but unfortunately I was a bit disappointed.

One night, Sebastian is at the Blue Dragon - his favorite gay bar - and sees a very attractive young man while drinking his beer. He is about to approach him, when the young man disappears into the restroom. When finding the same man bloody and nearly beaten to death at the back of the restroom, S
Ami
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
In order to enjoy this story, it depends whether readers are ready to deal with slow pace and repetitive action.

The content warning says "descriptions of post-violent-attack first aid and medical care". When I started this story, I had NO IDEA how heavy the descriptions would be. Because there are A LOT of them. In fact, I think, the bulk of this story, maybe around 70% of it, deals with that.

We have Sebastian unwrapping and rewrapping bandages, applies cream, giving Daren a bath, going to the
Susan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm
This started out really good. Almost exactly the same as Not His Kiss to Take, except for the doctor kink.

There is a lot of focus on Daren’s injuries and the way he heals for most of this story. That’s not a bad thing. I hate reading about miraculous recoveries, so this felt real. I did want a bit more out of the relationship.

Especially because the first half was focused on how Sebastian and Daren interact with each other and Sebastian nursing Daren back to health.

But that tentative development
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Doesn't that cover look like a thumb with a face on it?

I can’t believe this novel was free. It’s a really adorable story, very sweet. The romantic element actually starts quite a bit later than I expected, and Sebastian actually acknowledges that when he does fall in love it’s very fast. For this genre, it’s almost glacial. ;) Sebastian is a great guy, gentle and kind. I really liked him. (He hates his name, and says he was beaten up in school because of it. I think that’s weird. I think it’s a
Julesmarie
My opinion is likely colored by the fact that this picture and this prompt were among my favorites this year, so I had high hopes for this story.

The content warning says "descriptions of post-violent-attack first aid and medical care; non-graphic discussions of off-screen sexual assault," and I was reassured by that warning. What it should have said is "GRAPHIC descriptions of post-violent-attack first aid"... We are told everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!) that Sebastian does for Daren to keep
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume Eleven - Bonus Volume.

Phew, this was longer than I expected but definitely worth it! Sometimes with novella's or short stories there is the problem with characters that are not fully developed, but that is definitely not the case here. I loved both these guys and felt like I had a really good understanding of who they both were, I only wish we had an epilogue to check up on them and see them in a safe an relaxed environmen
Juxian
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Sorry, I can't keep reading, it feels like complete waste of my time. Okay, I waste my time all the time, duh, but reading this is not even an entertaining way to do so.
First of all, am I the only one who has a problem when an author follows the prompt literally phrase by phrase, just using a few more words? It reminds me those awful Tumblr "imagine" blogs. "Please write me a story where I work as a florist and Brad Pitt comes to my shop and falls in love with me." - "You work as a florist. Sudd
Tailtiu
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free
3,5* upgrade for making me read till the end :)
In the beginning the story is a little heavy on the medical side (I had to skip some pages) and the story definitely needs an epilogue or a follow up story.
Anke
Jul 01, 2012 marked it as dnf
DNF at 32%

Sorry, but I give up. The whole story centered on the medical care of the injured guy. The story development was either missing or that slow that it escaped my notice. Same with the thriller part of the story - just not there.
Emma Sea
Well-thought out characters. There's a good slow burn with some satisfying non-explicit sex in the conclusion. The hurt-comfort is nicely done, without any insta-recovery.
Antonella
Jul 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
1,5

Well, half star is a bonus because it was a free story.

I read this story knowing nothing about the author. I still know nothing. So I just didn't appreciate the story.

The beginning was like a medical essay, with absolutely detailed descriptions of Sebastian's home care for Daren. Maybe the author wanted to prove that she did her research?

Too long and detailed descriptions are also in the second half, with the details of 5 different visits to the (view spoiler)
Lori
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story was based on my picture and prompt in the M/M Romance group "Love Is Always Write" event. I'll admit to being nervous when Ada took the prompt because I wanted something pretty gritty and kinky enough to fulfill my desire for a good medical fetish read and I wasn't sure that Ada was the right author for the job. I give her big props for taking it on.

Having said that, I loved this story. It wasn't as dark or as kinky as I had hoped and I think her focus on Darren's medical care, which
Syfy
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Deeply engrossing, could not put it down! Thorough, methodical, completely engaging, not a moment of frivolous asides in here. Just an amazingly well developed story.

*now cruising Ada Maria Soto*
Tais
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5
Tatiana
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-romance

The Good:
- This book is well-written and well-researched. It's very obvious the author did her homework.
- It's free.

The Not-So-Good:
- A staggering amount of detailed descriptions of medical care for Daren.
- It focused a little too much on the hurt/comfort aspect rather than the emotions behind it. I did not feel the bond between the two men, nor did I believe in their romance.
- I desperately needed Daren's POV.
- There's understandably very little sex. Unfortunately, frottage and a coup
Jerry
So I was trolling the Love is Always Wright series and noticed there was this story whith a huge number of comments. I figured it must be good if there were that many people commenting and boy was I lucky! This is a long and oh so chilling, spine tingling (both the good and bad kind), sweet, scary, etc...story. Loved almost every minute of it. Unfortunately I don't think anyone can really love how they meet, but everyone will love how the care for each other and come to realize that they need ea ...more
MLE
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sweet romantic suspense. Loved the pacing of the relationship. Nothing about it felt rushed, and none of the difficult bits were glossed over.
Maygirl7
This story ticked all my boxes. Good guy caught up in conspiracy, bratty smart younger guy/steady caretaker older guy, love on the run, GFY/OFY and so on. It wasn't perfect but perfect enough for me.
Lena Grey
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
f someone needed your help, just how far would you go to give it? Would you stop and see what you could do for them? Walk by and ignore them? Or would you simply call 911 and let them handle it instead? Or, like Sebastian did with Darren, in 'Whistle Blowing' by Ada Maria Soto, would you try to gain his trust, bring him home and nurse him back to health, and keep him safe? I dare say that not many of us would go this far, but for Sebastian, it was the right thing to do.

Sebastian is an awesome g
Dee Aditya
Well done, intricate, and to the point. Ada Maria Soto's narrative is very engaging, and I liked being in Sebastian's head, and I liked all the medical details. I liked that the relationship, as it was, moved slowly and realistically (at least for me).

I was expecting a better resolution to the whole 'bad guys are after us' plot line, but I guess it was alright, all things considered. A really strong HFN, but still has enough meat for me to assume that everything turned out okay.
Lolita
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book and Not His Kiss to Take are based on the same prompt. However after I read the book and , I found Whistle Blowing is more realistic.

but I Found both books is interesting...:)
Shannon
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Right when I finished I looked for the follow up story. What? No follow up. I wanted to see the pain inflicted on Daren's family, dammit. And agent Kim, what about him? We need more!! Loved the writing style, flowed very easily and kept a fast pace.
Ayanna
Feb 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
Damn. The prompt is so well thought-out...
Louan
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not the type of story I would normally read but I couldn't put it down!
Ricardo
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not very good. This is an example of a poor marriage between a thriller and a M/M Romance. In this case, the two stories did not really compliment each other and the end result was not anything to write home about. Daren/Gerald is the heir to a large fortune but he is tired of his family’s abuse of the law and decides to gather information to send his father and his grandfather to prison. Sebastian is an army medic who recently returned from his last tour. Sebastian finds Daren in serious condit ...more
Hannah
3.5 stars.

For a book that (a) is set almost entirely within a small duplex and (b) features one protagonist who is literally half-dead for the first 50% of the novel, Whistle Blowing is surprisingly engrossing. I could have done without quite so many gory details about Daren's condition after his beating (and I use the word "gory" advisedly), but the author does a good job of engaging the reader in Sebastion's struggle to keep him alive and safe from his dangerously powerful family.

Sebastion is
Anna Kļaviņa
While some might be not happy with how slow and written in detail is Darren's recovery, I did like it. Actually if I would choose to complain that it is how well and fast Darren recovered physically and especially psychologically. He didn't suffer from PTSD and after weeks were able to walk with some aid. I think he did remarkably well, I, for example, few days before the last Christmas felt from stairs and hurt my ankle and I was limping till middle April. It wasn't sprained or broken and yet I ...more
Kukko
Main Characters: Gerald Delaware (Daren) & Sebastian Thompson
Key Themes: GFY, Revenge, UST
Location: NY & NJ?

MM story featuring an ex-navy medic (Sebastian) and the teenage heir of a very rich family (Daren).

Sebastian finds Daren bleeding to death on the floor of a public toilet. He takes the younger man home and uses his fairly extensive medical knowledge to start nursing Daren back to health.

Half of this story is an account of how Sebastian manages Daren's wounds, with all the gory details. T
Elizabeth H.
Wow! Definitely my favorite of all the Free Reads this summer. I *loved* all the medical descriptions (is that my kink? I'm not sure), but much more importantly I became totally involved with the characters. Yes, the ending is a little rushed, but given that this is 70,000 words for a free read, I am not going to complain about that. I stayed up late and lost sleep reading this in one big gulp. I desperately hope Whistle Blowing is the beginning of a series for Ms. Soto, as I see the set up for ...more
Jamie
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, gift-free-book
This is an interesting story, it was a DRiTC freebie and it's quite long (172 pgs). I was drawn into the story by the depiction of poor little rich boy Daren and former military, former foster child Sebastian who are thrown together in difficult circumstances. Some other reviewers complained about the description of the long medical recovery but that didn't bother me. Then we move into an adventure/thriller sort of tale that works well. My only quibble is that we're left sort of hanging at the e ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Whistle Blowing: What's Next? 2 17 Jan 13, 2013 07:38AM

• How to Wish Upon a Star (Howl at the Moon, #3)
  • Rebound (Pucks & Rainbows, #1)
  • How to Save a Life (Howl at the Moon, #4)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Once Upon a Time (Calluvia's Royalty, #3)
  • Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1)
  • Falling Down
  • Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4)
  • How to Howl at the Moon (Howl at the Moon, #1)
  • One Man's Trash (The Heretic Doms Club, #1)
  • Promises (Coda Books, #1)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Scrap Metal
  • Clutch (Forbidden Desires #1)
Ada Maria Soto is a born and raised Californian, Mexican-American/WASP, currently living as an expat in the South Pacific. Writing is her day job for the two days a week her toddler is in daycare. The other five days a week her toddler is her day job.

A psychologist once told her she has a fantasy prone personality, but since she’s trying to be a writer that’s not a bad thing. She has dysgraphia an