Start by marking “The Divine Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
The Divine Pumpkin

The Divine Pumpkin

Forensic Nurse Paloma Parker seems to have her life in order. She is a successful career woman who is intelligent and confident in her abilities, but she just can't seem to have a meaningful romantic relationship. Her newest patient, an incarcerated juvenile named Ella, has a connection to her that is fully realized when Paloma's family secret is revealed. As Ella yearns f ...more
Published May 16th 2012 by Winter Goose Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Pumpkin

Peter
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is women's fiction with a twist. If you expect it all to be mills and boon romance then you would be mistaken. While the issue of relationships is covered in Paloma's affairs there is so much more to the story. Issues such as sanity, madness and badness are interwoven with the strong dose of reality. The book challenges our notions of what it means to be a child and asks questions that often we would rather avoid.
Simon West-Bulford
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hemmie’s novel revolves around Paloma Parker, a counsellor who has been assigned the unenviable task of reforming Ella Cavendish, a young offender who committed a crime that pretty much anyone would find hard to forgive, yet as the story unfolds, and more is revealed about Paloma’s family life and history, the reader begins to see an uncanny tie between the two.

Before I give the wrong impression, it needs to be pointed out that there’s nothing supernatural about this story, but there are moments
Kim Larocque
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Have you ever picked up a book, and part way through you think to yourself: “Wow, this resembles my life?” This is one of them. As an avid reader, I am in constant search for fiction which resonates with me, and The Divine Pumpkin surely found it’s way to my heart. Not only did I feel great love for Paloma, every single character brought up emotions in me ranging from compassion, sadness and even revolt! (ok I was angry at a couple!) This book truly hit home, and I believe many of you will relat ...more
Adriana
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
-GOODREADS GIVEAWAY REVIEW #3-
The novel starts off introducing Paloma Parker, a 29 year single lady working as a nurse in a prison for degenerate minors, and her life as she begins counseling with teenage Ella Cavendish, who suffocated a baby and is now serving essentially a life sentence.
While the plot comes off as compelling, I really had to push myself to read the actual content. The first few chapters were incredibly bland, for whatever reason, and only continued to be gradually less bland t
Stacy
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book as a FirstRead.

The Divine Pumpkin follows forensic nurse Paloma Parker, as she counsels 16-year-old Ella, a convicted baby killer, as well as tries to work through the issues in her own life.

The book was a little darker than I expected it to be, but I enjoyed reading it. I kept wanting to tell Paloma to stop making such poor decisions in her love life and was quite happy at the end when she finally made a good decision. I really enjoyed the character of Ella and was glad to see
Rayme
Jul 17, 2012 added it
In this psychological novel, Ms. Martin, shows the intense drama her two characters, Paloma a forensic nurse and Ella, her client who has been convicted of murdering a child must face before they can come to forms of self-acceptance. Paloma, who is the true focus of the book, faces additional challenges from a difficult family and a complicated dating landscape. As in real life, these women must muddle through their challenges, learning from each other to grow.
Lou
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paloma Parker is a forensic nurse working in a Young Offenders Institute. Her latest case is Ella Cavendish. Ella has been convicted of a terrible crime, one that anyone would find hard to forgive.
The Divine Pumpkin looks not only Ella’s journey of dealing with the ramifications of her crime, it also looks at Paloma’s work and personal life too. As we follow this story it becomes apparent that Paloma and Ella have a lot more in common than first meets the eye.
I’m not saying more with regards to
Joey Paul
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up after seeing it on Facebook and I loved it. It's my first of Hemmie Martin's and I plan now to make my way through her works. The story starts with Paloma who works as a forensic nurse at the Young Offenders prison. She comes across Ella, a young girl who's crime is hard to stomach. Throughout the book, the parallels between Paloma and Ella are apparent as we see both work through their therapy, and family dramas. It's well written and an engaging story that keeps the reade ...more
Amanda Green
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was fascinated by the main character’s job, as a Forensic Nurse, and the dysfunctional family lives portrayed within the story and was pulled into the world of Paloma in just the first few pages. There’s no point in me saying too much and spoiling the story, but let me say, it was a very satisfying read.

Hemmie has a talent for creating characters with real depth and meaning, interwoven into interesting, gripping, storyline's, and this one does not disappoint. I have read ‘Attic of the Mind’ wh
Katrina Lecoy
Heather
Jul 18, 2012
Elissa
Jul 19, 2012
Hemmie Martin spent most of her professional life as a Community Nurse for people with learning disabilities, a Family Planning Nurse, and a Forensic Mental Health Nurse working with young offenders. She spent six years living in the south of France. She now writes full time.

Hemmie created the DI Wednesday series, featuring DI Eva Wednesday and DS Jacob Lennox, set in and around Cambridge, with fi