Start by marking “The Woman She Was” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Woman She Was

Rosa Jordan

The Woman She Was

Celia Cantú, a pediatrician in Havana, is trying to live a regular life in today's Cuba. She is engaged to her childhood friend Luis and lives with her 16-year-old niece, Liliana. Celia's life is disrupted when Luis's brother, Joe, returns from Miami flaunting his American ways. Joe's arrival and Liliana's adolescent restlessness force Celia to examine the discrepancy betw ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Brindle & Glass

To ask other readers questions about The Woman She Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman She Was

Diane
Mar 14, 2013 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction
This book was disappointing; if half stars were available I would have given it two and a half stars.

I thought it might be a historical novel about Celia Sanchez but she is a tiny sidebar, at best. It's all over the place, as though the author couldn't decide what kind of book she wanted to write - travelogue, Cuban propaganda, romance, mystery? I didn't find any of the plotlines very compelling.

However, we discussed the book last night at Book Club and that was quite interesting. Many of the me
Alex Jasper
This is a trashy novel, badly written, with numerous typos. The author is obviously very familiar with Cuba and its modern day issues, but has tried to write too many socio-economic problems into what is essentially a Mills & Boon-esque melodrama. I enjoyed my own memories of living and travelling in Cuba that the book triggered, but frequently cringed over its corniness. I give it three stars for its reverence of Celia Sanchez, but cannot imagine Celia Sanchez reading such a book!
Liz
Mar 27, 2012 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, canadian-author
Excellent book. I almost didn't finish it as I stalled out on it at about 50 pages in. Those Lago brothers were just such asses. But I'm SO GLAD I tried again as no more than 5 pages later, the story absolutely took off and I couldn't put it down after that. Highly recommend this book.
Pamela Paterson
Pamela Paterson rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Ruth Linka
Ruth Linka rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
Judy M McKinnon
Judy M McKinnon rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2017
Sarah Goodfellow
Sarah Goodfellow rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2017
Lesley Hastain
Lesley Hastain rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Lindy Turner
Lindy Turner rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2017
Yolanda Ridge
Yolanda Ridge rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Cailey
Cailey rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Rosa Jordan
Rosa Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Emily Shorthouse
Emily Shorthouse rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Sandy Bishop
Sandy Bishop rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013
Sterling Grogan
Sterling Grogan rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Eveline Hansen
Eveline Hansen rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2015
Peggy Hilliard
Peggy Hilliard rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Ashlea
Ashlea rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Kay Stewart
Kay Stewart rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
Gaildb
Apr 19, 2013 Gaildb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Particularly enjoyed the Cuban history and how it ties to everyday life of the characters.
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
May 16, 2017
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Glenn Jones
Like many of the reviews I felt that there was great potential with this novel but it got sidetracked with a trashy love story. The author obviously knows Cuba and the insight provided was great. However this often got lost in some quite badly written passages.
Worth trying but don't expect a masterpiece.
Carly Eggie
Carly Eggie rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2013
Immigrated to Canada, 1974. Education: University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.; University of Guanajuato, Mexico, M.A. Addresses: Home: Rossland, British Columbia, Canada.

AWARDS:

Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Children's Special nomination, Parents' Choice Award, and First-Place Award, National Council on Family, all 1997, all for The Sweetest Place; Silver Birch Honours Book designation,
More about Rosa Jordan...