Start by marking “Best of the South: From Ten Years of New Stories from the South” as Want to Read:
Best of the South: From Ten Years of New Stories from the South

Best of the South: From Ten Years of New Stories from the South (New Stories from the South)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Since 1986, New Stories from the South has brought the best short fiction of the year to the attention of a national audience. The series has been called “the collection others should use as a model” (the Charlotte Observer), and for twenty years it has held to that standard.

When Anne Tyler helped us celebrate the first ten years of the series in Best of the South, 1986–
Published January 4th 1996 by Algonquin Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Best of the South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best of the South

Marla
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good stories. Some weird (almost creepy) ones, too. Interesting.
Djrmel
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of "the best" short stories from the annual anthology New Stories From The South, this is a collection of writings from contemporary writers that all have their roots, if not their body, in the South. A few are Southern-Gothic, a few are simple slice-of-life, and few almost fall into historical fiction territory. They are all extremely well told short stories, never failing to honor what I think is the one rule of this genre: Clarity. No matter how soft and fuzzy a charact ...more
Krista
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Lord have mercy! Aren't there any happy stories to tell? I grew up in the South and I know for certain that there are some non-dysfunctional families there and stories with happy endings!

While I enjoyed reading this collection (I read most of them) it started to wear me down. I loved the language and the richness of the writing, but after a while it just wasn't doing anything for me.

M Sorensen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story "The Winnowing of Mrs. Schuping," by Padgett Powell, was hilarious and unforgettable (I'm writing ten years after reading it).
Bebe
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I belong to a Short Story book club, we read and discussed this book over a year of monthly meetings, the book stories inside sparked alot of conversation and discussion. I would recommend it.
Melanie
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting mix of short stories. I liked some more than others, but I'll definitely check out more of these collections, which come out every year.
Liz
Oct 09, 2009 rated it liked it
A few good stories here, some not so great.
Miss Karen Jean Martinson
May 16, 2007
Thing Two
Jun 07, 2010
Miriam W.
Feb 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Anne Tyler was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in 1941 and grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. She graduated at nineteen from Duke University and went on to do graduate work in Russian studies at Columbia University. She has published 20 novels, her debut novel being If Morning Ever Comes in (1964)

The Beginner's Goodbye is Anne Tyler's nineteenth novel; her eleventh, Breathing Lessons , was a
More about Anne Tyler...

New Stories from the South (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1986
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1987
  • New Stories from the South: The Years Best, 1988 (American Places of the Heart)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best 1989