Start by marking “The Sandbox Investment: The Preschool Movement and Kids-First Politics” as Want to Read:
The Sandbox Investment: The Preschool Movement and Kids-First Politics

The Sandbox Investment: The Preschool Movement and Kids-First Politics

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

Listen to a short interview with David L. Kirp
Host: Chris Gondek | Producer: Heron & Crane

The rich have always valued early education, and for the past forty years, millions of poor kids have had Head Start. Now, more and more middle class parents have realized that a good preschool is the smartest investment they can make in their children's future in a competitiv

Published August 27th 2007 by Harvard University Press (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandbox Investment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandbox Investment

Dylan Groves
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
three takeaways:

1 - preschool is on the rise
2 - quality, spending and access are not only not linked, they are often in tension with one another
3 - preschool is not a traditional left/right issue - Oklahoma, North Carolina, Texas are key innovators

Morninglight Mama
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: education, nonfiction
It took me months to finally get through this book, which really surprised me given the topic and its nearness to my heart as a preschool teacher. The book's beginning pulled me in, and I once again was reminded of the fact that Chicago seems to have always been the heart of the constructivist and child-centered educational movement in our country's history. But the majority of the book is like a really long newspaper article, and it was challenging for me to keep track of all the people referen ...more
Erika RS
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting, owned
In this book, Kirp focused on the politics of the pre-K education and early childcare movements in the US. Since the book was mostly about the current state of these efforts as of 2006, it was not particularly relevant in 2012. Most of the second half of the book would need an update -- and I would not be surprised if many parts were no longer at all true (since one of the big sticking points in these movements was funding, and between 2006 and now, we've had a recession.)

The most interesting pa
Kay
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great complement to Kirp's "Kids First" and to an academic work by author Elizabeth Rose, "The Promise of Pre-K." Kirp walks readers through the neuroscience, economics, best practices, and politics that ground the pre-K movement. Notably, he emphasizes that perennial bugaboo of social spending--overcoming governmental inefficiencies and self-interested groups to create high quality programs. I was somewhat disappointed by the prose here--"Kids First" was such a bouncy, joyous tome! I ...more
Jimi Gilroy
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sociology
Excellent for educators or anyone who cares about the investment in education for our future generations. This book reaffirmed the need for a focus of attention on early childhood education for parents and social programs.
Katherine
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
great. if your conscience isn't moved by the idea of high-quality childcare for everyone, this book gives more than a few alternative arguements, which are quite compelling. david kirp isn't a early childhood wonk, but an economist. very good. if only we all would ACT on it now!
Becca Barrett
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
Kind of a slow read. I think it's a good history of the preschool movement (wins and losses) in the U.S. However I would have liked to have read more data on how preschool and high quality education have long term benefits for children.
Doug Wells
I took me a while to get through this book. Lots of excellent information, but just not written in an approachable style. I was a huge fan of Kirp's book "Kids First" - the style of this one was much drier.
Cyrus
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
summary: excellent pre-k 4 all.
Christian
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shoddy research, politically biased, and flawed premises.
Caitlin
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great overview of preschool policy
Jane
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book reviews the history of child care programs in the United States from the 1940's. It is a very good reference for people working in this field.
Carlo
Dec 27, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Kinda boring. Felt like a he-said/she-said account of Pre-K as a political issue rather than painting a compelling case for Pre-K actual implementation. Stop reading halfway through.
Christian