Start by marking “Material Witness (Heroes of Providence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Material Witness (Heroes of Providence, #1)

Material Witness (Heroes of Providence #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  780 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Who does she trust when she’s living the real life horror of one of her crime novels…

ebook
Published June 6th 2012 by Lisa Mondello (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Material Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Witness

Dianne
Cassie was only researching her latest crime novel when she found herself the star witness in a real life crime. In need of a little inspiration, Cassie dressed the part of a hooker and hit one of the seediest bars in town. What she never expected was to become part of gang style murder, all because she was the only person who saw the shooter.

Detective Jake Santos was on an undercover stakeout when his detective radar told him Cassie was not who she pretended to be. Now he may be the last line
Pamela
Oct 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, kindle
Talk about cliche. Like you couldn't figure out right from the start what was going to happen. Sucked from beginning to end. I mean seriously, you tell the cops and FBI agents, who are trying to keep you alive, that you'll go ahead with their plan if it's a certain cop who protects you and no one else. No, it doesn't look too obvious that you're looking to get laid - not! Oh, only one bed available? Oh, whatever shall we do? Give me a break! What a mindless piece of drivel.
Debrac2014
Good read!
Jo-Anne
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtr, own
The blurb for this book drew me in right away. I liked the sound of a crime writer gathering research for a novel by going to a bar dressed as a prostitute. She fully believed she could play the role and get information from the other customers so she could use it in a book. But when the big, handsome, leather-jacketed man approached her, she wasn't so sure she could pull it off.Turned out he was actually a detective, working undercover. He had been waiting for an informant who didn't show. When ...more
Christi Snow
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:

I am a sucker for a good romantic suspense book and this one was definitely a good one. I think one of the things that makes this book so good is the fact that Cassie is an author. In fact, that's how she ends up in this mess. She's dressed as a hooker in a sleazy bar looking for research for her latest crime novel, but she gets much more than she expects.

Jake is a cop. He's in the bar meeting one of his informants who doesn't show. Instead he finds Cassie and quickly realizes that she
Cindy Hardegree
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

What a ride! Loved the energy in this story! The author did an amazing job of putting together this suspenseful romance. I shed more than one tear and couldn't put it down till I finished the book! A must read!
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
What is the book about?

Bestselling crime novelist, Cassie Alvarez, aka Cassie Lang, had murder on her mind when she walked into Rory's Bar under dressed and under cover to research her latest crime novel. Researching the cool, blue-eyed and dashingly handsome man at the end of the bar stirred her senses more than she wanted to admit. But was this man of leather armor all he appeared to be?
Playing White Knight t
The BookWhisperer
“Material Witness” action did not have a moment of rest throughout the entire book. In the first chapter, the bar is blown to pieces by bullets in a shooting and it just continues that action until the very last page. So if the action isn’t something that draws you in, maybe the love story behind it will. Cassie is the star witness to the shooting and requests Jake to be the agent in charge of guarding her. But he does it all too well and Cassie starts to develop feelings for him. However, Jake ...more
Judy
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Material Witness by L.A. Mondello
Cassie Alvarez writes crime novels but suddenly she feels like a character in one of her own books. She went to Rory’s bar dressed as a hooker to research how her character would think. While talking to the hunky rough and tough guy, gun fire erupts, she becomes an eyewitness and her world turns upside down. Deja vu from eight years earlier all over again.

Detective Jake Santos is undercover but it seems the meeting he planned won’t be happening tonight at Rory’s.
Bette Stanek
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
WooHoo! I've found another author of crime novels that I really like. This book was non-stop action.

Cassie is crime novelist and knows her stuff. One night she's doing research in a seedy bar and the next thing she knows she's in the middle of chaos. Jake is on an undercover assignment when he sees Cassie at the other end of the bar. He knows instantly she's not the prostitute she's posing as. What the heck is she doing here? A few minutes after he approaches her and confirms what he already kn
Monica
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery love story. Detective Jake Santos is at a sleazy bar in a bad part of town waiting for an informant who is late. He knows he should leave but he can't seem to take his eyes off the woman down the bar who is sending out some seriously mixed signals. She looks way too innocent and sure as hell isn't the hooker she is trying to pull off. When the hairs start to stand on end he knows he needs to get them both out of there and fast.

Novelist Cassie Alvarez is doing re
Yvonne
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of romance and suspense
I always know that if a book is written by Lisa Mondello, it’s going to be a winner. This one definitely didn’t disappoint me. What surprised me is that it was written 10 years ago, and even then her writing was awesome.
The story centers around detective Jake Santos, and Cassie Alvarez, a novelist that writes crime stories. Researching for one of her books, Cassie goes to a seedy barr dressed as a prostitute. There she meets Jake, who is also undercover for a case he has been working on for a lo
Ellen White
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MATERIAL.WITNESS by Lisa.Mondello. I love a story that begin with good description, and this one was great. You can picture Cassie,in a dress to short,tight, and she is so out of place in this bar. She doing research for her novel, and Maureen, her agent said this is what she needed to do. Undercover detective is Jake, and he knows at once, that Cassie is out of place, as his grandmother would be. Next thing everything breaks loose, she survived. And FBI wants to kept their witness happy. She fe ...more
Page
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Cassie came across as caring but she didn't have "treat me like a doormat" written across her forehead.

She was scared when the situation warranted it, but she strong when she had to be. I loved that. Although Jake was in many ways a knight in shining armor, Cassie could still hold her own.

I loved the concept of the book and in some ways seemed totally believable.

I'm hoping Book 2 is on its way.
John Ausmus
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A light crime novel that was an enjoyable read. Very predictable all the way through but the like able characters were a joy to hang with. This book is a great "beach read" book for the summer.
Coral
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot: 3/5 (simple and predictable)
Characterisation: 4/5
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed the book: 4/5
Sheryl Mcnaught
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Really good story and strong characters .A novelist ends up at a bar trying to research for her next book and gets caught up in a shooting.
Juanita E. Arp
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book and can't wait for the next one. I received a FREE ARC copy to read volunteerly for an honest review.
Sadie Mazzola
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

Danger, mystery and love. A woman writer is brought in the middle of an investigation. Strangely, a Detective is the only one she can trust. They are on the run....
Karen Voitik
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
>Book review – Materia Witness

>I am an independent reviewer. This book is the first in the Heroes of Providence series and ends in an HEA. Crime writer, Cassie is talked into going undercover at a seedy bar to get the feel of the clientele and the atmosphere of the place. Jake is an undercover cop, who knows something isn’t right with the pretend hooker (Cassie) at the bar and decides to make sure she gets out of the place unharmed.

>When a mob hit causes Jake and Cassie to go into hidin
Chanel
A “Witness Protection” plot always grabs and holds my attention, and this book was no exception. The hero, Jake, is a stand-up kind of guy, and dedicated to his job as a police officer. I liked him immediately and appreciated how he was loyal to his friends & family, and protected those close to him. His life takes an expected, but welcomed turn, when a crime novelist saves his life in a mob hit. Cassie is like a female version of “Castle” (you know, the TV show about the mystery writer that ...more
Jacqueline
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action, adventure, cop mystery fans
Recommended to Molly by: won 30 freebie ebooks. Also bought on Amazon
Relationships and loyalties of all kinds tested in thi fast paced, shoot 'em up, which cops can you trust story.

A fiction author just wants to pick up some color for her latest book. Big time writers block.

She gets a whole lot more than she bargains for with a cop she trusts her life with, but isn't sure if she can trust her heart.

In the end, long time relationships are strained and loyalties shattered in the name of so much revenge and anger.

Does the love survive? Not sure, but they seem to
Michelle
Well written story with just enough action. The story line was a little bit predictable. I was able to solve the mystery of which officer was a rouge agent.

I love strong women and the men who love them. The story was about two people who both are injured emotionally, and through their shared close call with death (two different days in the same week) realize they have met their true love in each other.
Lauren Rogers-Perrault
2 stars= it was ok. And that's what this book was. ok. I was looking for a fluffy, action-packed romance and that's what this was. It just didn't have the substance or the depth of character or the attraction level I was looking for. It wasn't a bad book...but I can tell you that I snorted twice and read a couple passages out loud to my friends because they were SO cliche. "He saw the moon and the stars in her eyes." Yawn.
Catherine Velasquez
Good characters

I loved the characters in this book. They are well written and come alive. I only gave it three stars because the story is very predictable. I enjoy suspense but not suspense that i guess two or three chapters into the book. It was a good read. Go into it expecting a cops and robbers type book and it is well worth it.
Cait
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the twists and turns of a great suspense novel

This book had all the twists and turns of a great suspense novel and I thoroughly enjoyed reading every word of it. The H was dashing and sexy and our h was a strong character that not only could save herself but could and did save others.
Sally Lindsay-briggs
This was a well written "Freebie" ebook. It had murder, suspense and hot and steamy romance between C.J., who was an author of murder mystery books and her FBI friend. C.J., who has several names is fiesty, strong and able to foil the bad guys. There are shoot outs, explosions and questions for the reader-who is really involved? Very enjoyable!
KACEY
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kindle version of this book contains only twelve chapters but is not meant to be a cliffhanger. Somewhere is the ebook process the final chapters were left out so although I couldn't finish the book I am giving it four stars. Hoping to find a paperback copy at a used book store in my area. Too cheap to pay the $9.00 to Amazon for a used copy just the final chapters.
Lynn
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG GOOD!

This is one great book. It was one I couldn't put down from the minute I started it. It has you hanging on by your fingernails right along with the characters and trying to figure out who to trust. It has twists and turns and red herrings. Needless to say I loved it.
  • The Thief
  • The True Beast (Full Moon Mercy, #2)
  • Mind Reader (The Reunited Hearts, #2)
  • The Innocent (FBI Psychics, #4.5)
  • Hijacked (The Appalachian Foothills #1)
  • Watching Over the Watcher
  • Saving Scott (Pine Hills Police, #3)
  • Stutter Creek
  • Under Currents
  • Maddy's Floor (Psychic Visions, #3)
  • Against The Wind (Florida Sands Romantic Suspense, #1)
  • The Defender (Jackson Hole #6)
  • Sweet Baby
  • Devil's Lake
  • The Bobcat's Tale (Blue Moon Junction, #2)
  • Unseen
  • A Sense of Duty (Dark Horse Guardians #1)
  • Secrets in the Shadows (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #1)

Heroes of Providence (6 books)
  • Safe Haven (Heroes of Providence #2)
  • Reckless Hours (Heroes of Providence #3)
  • Desperate Hours (Heroes of Providence #4)
  • Final Hours (Heroes of Providence #5)
  • Cold Harbor (Heroes of Providence #6)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)