Start by marking “Revel” as Want to Read:
Revel

Revel

There’s an island off the coast of Maine that’s not on any modern map.

Shrouded in mist and protected by a deadly reef, Trespass Island is home to a community of people who guard the island and its secrets from outsiders. Seventeen-year-old Delia grew up in Kansas, but has come here in search of her family and answers to her questions: Why didn’t her mother ever talk about
Published February 12th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Blythe
Two large, scaly animals gripped the bottom of the Widowsong, their shapes like the dark silhouettes of a nightmare. Webbed hands. Claws. Spiked tails. One of the monsters swung and fixed me with reptilian yellow eyes. Its jaws unhinged like a bear trap, showing rows of curved, sharp teeth, and it screamed at me. The obscene roar reverberated through the water and suddenly the creature swam toward me, with rapid undulating movements and a bobbing motion of its head. (Revel; page 66. Quote take ...more
Mitch
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't know what it is about desolate New England towns and Greek mythology that makes for such a noxious combination, and maybe it's purely coincidental, but between Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed, Elizabeth Miles's Fury, and now Revel, it's gotta be a curse, or something. At least this time with Revel I actually finished the book (*cough*Starcrossed*cough*) and wasn't angry enough to want to fling it across the room after I did (*head desk at even the thought of Fury*), but that's not sayin ...more
Cait S
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did! Before this I had really bad luck with YA siren/mermaid stories. I honestly can't think of another one that I even liked, but I can think of a handful that I absolutely loathed.

But this was good! Except........for Delia. The main character. Who is the stupidest, brattiest, most selfish little *insert colorful word here* that she possibly could have been. The island and all its side characters were great. The mythology was great. Everything was g
Katyria Denegri
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm still trying to find a book that amazed me as much as this book did. I absolutely LOVED this book. I couldn't put it down and I managed to finish it in a day. Its one of my favorite ones, hands down.
Jen Ryland
Revel is imaginative and original -- imagine 50% Greek mythology, 10% the TV show LOST, 20% paranormal romance, 10% The Bachelor, and 10% Loch Ness monster story. It's an interesting mix and I could never predict what was going to happen.
Alyssa
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
***Review posted at The Eater of Books! blog***

Revel by Maurissa Guibord
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Source: Copy provided by the author

Summary (from Goodreads):

There’s an island off the coast of Maine that’s not on any modern map.

Krystle
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maybe it's because it's been a long while since I've finished a book but I really liked this one.

I've read her first foray into the publishing world, Warped, that I really enjoyed also so to say I had higher expectations for this one is about guaranteed. I was more than thoroughly satisfied. In fact, I'd say that this novel was better than her first!

Her prose is delicious with smooth flowing and intricately painted descriptions. I could savor them for hours! Her plotting is also a lot tighter, n
Miranda
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ready for an unexpected plot twist? Check!
What about an original take on Greek Mythology? Check!
Want to squeeze in some charming romance? Check!

I read Revel back in May before I started blogging, I was in the mood for something adventurous with a splash of romance and something mythological. Needless to say Revel hit the nail on the head! Now going into Revel I did not read much of the summary on this story. The only thing I knew is that it centered around an island, greek mythology, mermaids &
Eszter
I absolutely forgot I read this book to be honest, and I didn't read it 2 years ago, rather 2 weeks ago, which I think is all I should say about it but I don't want to be a bad reviewer, so I'll try to remember some details. I actually liked Revel and had fun reading it so I have no idea why I forgot about it so fast.

The plot was quite interesting, although it was a bit like a roller coaster ride–when it was good it was really good, but it had a tendency to become boring and uneventful. The myt
Angie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Lucky enough to have read this in manuscript form! Maurissa has created another riveting novel, this one full of mythical sea creatures, a spirited heroine with burgeoning abilities, a mysterious island that refuses to let its inhabitants leave, and family secrets people will do anything to keep buried. It's all so wonderfully engrossing. I wasn't able to put this one down--not even when I had a deadline to meet on my own revisions :-) I love this cover too!
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Warning: Slight spoilers included below!

After her mother dies, seventeen year-old Delia McGovern is shuffled from foster home to foster home, causing trouble because of her incessant need to do the right thing (even if that means calling child services on a foster-mother that chooses to smoke in the car with an infant). After her last foster family gives up on her, Delia convinces her caseworker from Social Services to let her spend the summer with her on
Apr 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Delia McGovern is determined to find out why and how her mother escaped the unmapped Trespass Island. When she arrives, the people find her dangerous and odd, an outsider bringing death and fear into their peaceful haven. As the Revel celebration approaches, Delia discovers a frightening secret lurking in the waters -- imprisoning the inhabitants as well as keeping trespassers out.

I wanted to enjoy this. I loved the idea of some otherworldly sea creature preventing inhabitants from leaving and n
Emily Blake
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

*A copy was provided by Delacorte Press for review purposes*

“I tried to tell you it dangerous here.”
“I thought you meant like rocks and big waves, Gran. Not whatever this is.”

Yep, that about sums it up! This book has one of the most original and unique ideas I’ve ever read. I don’t know if there’s another book out there quit like this one. The writing really drew me in, and it was so eerie and eloquent, and I couldn’t stop reading. I really liked how the story line and
Renee
So ANOTHER library book turned out to be really good.

When I picked up Revel I was thinking kind of a Wicker Man vibe, girl gets to island, is not allowed to leave and there is dark scary stuff around every corner.

What I found was a really cool book that merged small town prejudiced, Greek mythology, romance and the sea and turned it into something pretty interesting.

I cannot tell you how many mermaid/siren/water creature type books simply have been like YUCK. They just don’t appeal to me, about
Carie
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book--the story is very different and unique, with some weird, fantastical elements. And I LOVE this author’s writing--it always completely sucks me into the story (and the romance)! The characters were fascinating, too. I loved Delia, Sean, Jax, and Ben, in particular. Loved Delia’s personality--that she wasn’t afraid to speak up, ask questions, and say what was on her mind. The action in the book was intense and nail-biting at times. The story also had some very surprising ...more
P.A. Warren
Wow.Im Stunned and in utter Awe of Revel By Maurissa Guibord.This is the first book I have read by this Author and I am quite frankly Blown Away.Revel takes place on Trespass Island where people live but never leave.Delia's mother is from there and finds a way to get to the island since no one is allowed to go there.Once she gets there she is greated with hostility.She has no idea what is in store for her.Sean is one of the male characters you will meet and Jax,Jax is a Demigod.They go back for ...more
sh(e)reader
I try to vary my topic in my paranormal reading ... vampires, zombies,angels, post-apocalyptic. Not as many merman/myth/siren stories. I did enjoy the story and sped right through it. I did feel like there were still some unaddressed issues, although it really wasn't set up for a sequel (which is ok too, I'm fine with this ending here).
Alyssa Harvey
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was definitely not was I expected.
If you like the story Wicker Man, the Little Mermaid, and Mythology then I guess this is your cup of tea.... Really freaking weird cup of tea by the way.
What Revel basically is: The gods protected us, therefore they have a right to sleep/rape our teenage girls at least once a year. Babies are a bonus.
Good grief.
Sonia
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was excellent. The mythology was super cool and interesting to read while still maintaining an air of mystery. The descriptions were nice and creepy and the pacing was great with very few lulls in excitement. Recommended!
Sid Yusma
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can also be read on my blog.

Title : Revel
Author : Maurissa Guibord
Demographic : Young Adult
Genre : Romance, Fantasy, Mythology

Delia takes quite a dive when she searches for her grandmother, leading her to the mysterious place of Trespass Island.

From Goodreads :

Dawn
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first ran accross thus book I could not wait to read it. All I can say is good things come to those who wait. Such a great book! Absolutely LOVED it!
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Please tell me there is going to be a second book!!!
Crystal Hart
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Fun new way of telling the story of something that's been around forever. Exciting, plot driven, shrouded in mystery with characters who have to learn and change if they want to save the day. Characters who must step into who they really are, my favorite kind of story. The plot is full of hooks, so even though I found the intro slow, I was well rewarded by continuing. Good pay out at the end. I'll never recommend a book that doesn't reward you for reading it.
Savannah
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was very interesting. I fell in love with these characters. However, the ending was rushed and it pissed me off. I'm giving this a 3 star review because for she hasn't answered any of the questions other users have been asking. We're all wondering about a second book since we pretty much got left on a rushed cliffhangerish ending. WILL THERE BE A SECOND BOOK?!
Jdecarlo
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the premise of the book. I don't know if it is because I have read so many trilogies lately, but I just felt like the characters weren't as developed as I wanted. If someone wants a quick stand alone though this book is good.
Adam Gallagher
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really a good read and my first foray into Ms. Guibord's work. It was non-stop and kept my attention throughout. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that the story came to a crashing end and I was disappointed with where it left us.
Madelyn  Murnane
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally my kind of book. The adventure, the romance. I love it when I get to that point in a book where it gets so good that I can't and don't want to stop reading. I had that feeling for this book. A good ending as well that felt satisfying.

Thank you, Maurissa Guibord, for a wo1nderful book.
Pauline
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
3.5 stars. easy, enjoyable read.
Heather
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ummm.... too fast. No depth to the characters. Way too many questions left unanswered. Don't need a sequel though.
Ashley
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Easy read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
}~>O MERBOOKS: T...: Revel by Maurissa Guibord 5 16 Jan 30, 2013 09:09AM

• The Gathering Dark
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Furious
  • Tides
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Unbound (The Griever's Mark #3)
  • Recalled (Death Escorts, #1)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Surface
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Catherine
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • Thorn Abbey
  • The Ruining
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)