Start by marking “Beyond the Wall” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Wall

Beyond the Wall

13 pages
Published 1909

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Wall

Start your review of Beyond the Wall
Peter
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A first person narrator visits an old friend of his, Mohun Dampier, in San Francisco. When sitting with him they hear a soft tapping coming from the wall. Who is responsible for that and why is someone tapping on the wall at all? We hear about Dapier's fondness of a young woman living next door and listen to his story. Why doesn't he simply meet up with her? Read this fine little gothic tale and you'll find out. Recommended story with a sad twist!
Latasha
Not Mr.bierce's best but in no way his worst.
Althea Ann
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Upon visiting an old friend, the narrator finds him much, and distressingly changed. Sick and alone, in an eerie house that seems haunted, he tells a cautionary tale...
The moral here may be, 'carpe diem,' but Bierce also gets in a bit about the foolishness of the 'upper class' giving themselves airs.
Kavita
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Beyond the Wall is more gothic than horror. When the narrator goes to meet his old friend of his, Mohun Dampier, he is shocked at the latter's appearance. Dampier then narrates him the story of his new-found love, the lovely woman who has moved in next door. They tap on the wall to each other for communication. Then when the woman disappeared, Dampier receives some bad news and is left sorrowful, though the tapping continues.

As a story, this was really not my cup of tea. I very much dislike thes
Nicolas Ortenzi
Creo que el amor tiene sus rarezas, en este caso el señor de la aristocracia queda consumido por la culpa, capaz llendo mas lejos, la culpa de no haber roto las cadenas de lo mal visto para la época, lo superficial y lo material a veces ciegan la realidad.
Marisol Thayre
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sarah John Period 4 In the story, Beyond The Wall by Ambrose Bierce, the story takes place in California and it starts off about a man named Mohun Dampier. Dampier is the main character's friend that she was visiting after not seeing him for a long time. She described him as a handsome, wealthy, and unselfish person. When she finally met up with him after all of these years, she became disappointed with what has happened to him. The main character feels as if her friend Dampier is going through ...more
XPHAIEA.
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
A man's fixation on a beautiful young girl living next door is cut short when she dies. After her passing he continues to hear tapping on the conjoining wall between their bedrooms.
David Meditationseed
Sometimes Bierce really frightens me in his stories, especially when the terror he writes is the psychological one. The Man Out the Nose is one of them.

Three other points in Bierce attract me: the atmosphere where the stories happen; the haunted houses in uninhabited forests are the supernatural.

On the other hand, there are two points that separate me from his work: the often documentary narrative and the size of the short stories, because I simply would like that the script and the characters
Rishabh Jha
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's actually quite good.
A story in which narrator visits an old friend & at his residence he heard sound of tapping on the wall twice, the narrator however did not give any reaction to it. Later on he tells his painful story of what is the reason behind those tappings.
Heather
Jan 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: gothic, short-story
Ghost story
Liz
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ghost, short-story
1907. A doomed love story with a supernatural element. Not bad, just not for me. Audible edition narrated by Anthony Heald.
Sucharita Biswas
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I really liked the story as it is not actually a horror one but instead a love story.

A thin line of connection between two lovers who are inseparable and are still yearning for each other.
Pedro Ponce
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The short story I have read today is called Beyond The Wall by Ambrose Bierce. This book is a short horror story. The main characters in this horror story are Mohun Dampire and the young women in the white dress. The setting takes place in San Francisco in place they named Recon Hill. Mohun Dampire was a very sensitive guy but he turned into a thin angular figured man his face is deeply lined and his skin color was dead-white. this short story was mostly about Dampire and the young women in the ...more
Leah Markum
Old friends meet under circumstances not unlike the Windows 98 screen saver that had the Halloween-esque mansion at night with canines howling in the background, a black cat scurrying across the foreground, and mysterious creaking. However, in Beyond the Wall there's a vicious, seaside storm and the creaking is a rapping at a back wall. The old friends, one a businessman who has spent many years in Asia and the other an occult researcher that inherited old money, sit to chat only to be interrupt ...more
Keith
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first read 'Beyond the Wall' when I was a teenager. It takes place on a cold winter night in San Francisco. Its about a love that was not to be, regret and a supernatural tapping on a wall.
Short story is also found at: online-literature.com
Joe
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: october-horror
A ghost story apparently without a climax
Faye
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
:O

Oh my god :O

MollyK
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
Lovely language of the past. More sweet and sad than scary.
Soklinda
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought it was quite sad and lovely. Got me a bit teary eyed.
Genrard
Alexshans84
Sep 21, 2020
Sneh Pradhan
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
A common concept among historical horror stories .... I found it just mediocre ....
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Use of Force
  • Lost Love
  • The Captain of the Pole-Star
  • The Sniper
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • The Bet
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • حكاية مملة: من مذكرات رجل عجوز
  • La prison de Robertsonville (Les Tuniques Bleues, #6)
  • Cronaca familiare
  • The Language of the Inuit: Syntax, Semantics, and Society in the Arctic
  • Шатуны
  • The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years
  • The Old Man
  • Les Bleus de la marine (Les Tuniques Bleues, #7)
  • Les Légions perdues (Alix #6)
Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce (1842-1914) was an American editorialist, journalist, short story writer, fabulist and satirist. Today, he is best known for his short story, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and his satirical lexicon, The Devil's Dictionary.

The sardonic view of human nature that informed his work – along with his vehemence as a critic, with his motto "nothing matters" – earned him the ni