Start by marking “Lift Up Your Head, Tom Dooley: The True Story of the Appalachian Murder That Inspired One of America's Most Popular Ballads” as Want to Read:

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Tom Dula's trial unveiled a sordid story of sexual immorality, resentment, jealousy and bitterness, and he was convicted and hanged before a huge crowd in Statesville, an event that drew national attention. The story lived on, in time becoming entwined with myth and legend, because it inspired a ballad that was sung throughout the mountains.
Published March 1st 1993 by Down Home Press (first published December 31st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Lift Up Your Head, Tom Dooley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lift Up Your Head, Tom Dooley

Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from this book. His name was Tom Dula but the mountain folks pronounced his last name Dooley. If he were tried now he would be acquitted. The true account is so different from the movies. He was a busy man with the women of his time.
Kellene
I have read a fictionalized account of the murder of Laura Foster previously and grew up hearing the story (being raised in Wilkes County, site of the crime). I even tell the story on a regular basis in my role as a storyteller/tour guide. I chose this book in hope of learning some new facts or gaining some new understanding of the players or the trials. This goal was not accomplished. The book contained a lot of trial transcript, both in the telling of the events and the retelling of the convic ...more
Victoria
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since I live only a few miles from where this murder took place, I found this book very interesting. I like history and murder mysteries and this combines the two so I enjoyed it. There is so much folklore and stories passed around about what happened and who really committed the murder and it was fascinating to learn what was true and what was not. Everyone has an opinion on who did it and this book helped me form my own. Now to drive out and see the actual places and graves.
Tommy
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Checked this out of the local library after reading Sharyn McCrumb's newest book. I loved reading the actual trial documents and transcripts, maps, and contemporary news articles.
Faith
Mendy
rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2016
Brenda Eagles
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2013