Start by marking “Humphrey's Corner” as Want to Read:
Humphrey's Corner

Humphrey's Corner

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A toddler and his favorite toy find the perfect place to play.
Humphrey and his favorite toy, Mop, are looking for a place to play. They set off to find somewhere cozy and interesting, but nothing seems quite right. Then Mommy comes to help, and Humphrey and Mop find a warm, secret place that is just perfect.
"Humphrey's Corner" introduces an endearing character who will r
Published June 1st 2001 by Henry Holt & Company (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Humphrey's Corner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humphrey's Corner

Kathryn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A young elephant named Humphrey is looking for the perfect place to play with his stuffed animal toy (a cute little rabbit). The story follows him in his journey around the house, finding little treasures as he goes imagining through the house trying out different spots until he finds one that is just right.

This is one of those sweet picture books that I just want to snuggle up with and smile over when I finish reading it. It really takes me back to my own childhood when the house was full of p
librarian4Him02
Why I picked it up: It appears on the list of 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. I'm attempting to read through the list.

Why I kept reading: Humphrey is so cute and so much fun. He gets up to a lot of mischief as he searches for a good place in the house to play with his toys.

In the end: I read this during a week when a lot of upheaval was going on around me. The illustrations in the book made it a very calming read. Just what I was needing at the time. The book made me sm
Kate
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book about Humphrey's search for the perfect place to play. The pastel illustrations are very calming.
lucem
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it
CIP: A little elephant tries out different spots around the house, until he finds the perfect place to play - near his mother.

Another beautifully illustrated picture book in pastel colors by the author. A familiar character, Humphrey, is going about his daily life at home with Mommy. He spends time in various rooms of the house picking up various objects that become his toys. These are common and logical tasks and assumptions that toddlers & preschoolers would also do. There are some humorou
Allison
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers & Up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
This is a charming story of a young elephant and his favorite stuffed animal spending the day together playing, getting into some mischief, and realizing things weren't quite right until they were somewhere Mom was close by. There's repetitiveness throughout the narrative that could be used to encourage children to anticipate the action. The illustrations are easily recognizable and would thus make this book one that children could memorize the gist of it after a few readings. This in turn could ...more
Michelle McBeth
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book gave me warm fuzzies all over! Humphrey is a typical toddler who keeps busy throughout the house. He makes messes without meaning to. I love the author's insight on what these messes mean to Humphrey. Mom doesn't scold him because she understands this is what busy toddlers do. My favorite part is when Humphrey goes into his special play place that mom has created just for him. Beautiful, lovingly done illustrations.
Do I recommend this book? YES. A great book for the little ones
Emkoshka
Ah, the sunny and soft idyll of childhood. This book is cuteness personified, with a little elephant dragging his toys around the house to find the perfect place to play, ending in a clothes fort, of course! Made me think of the Babar books, the Ernest and Celestine stories and You'll Wake the Baby while reminding me of my own childhood of creative play. :)
Linda
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautiful children's books I've ever read. The creative play ideas for hidey holes around the house is inspired and inspirational for little ones. Wish I'd known about this book before my kids reached school!

This has just gone on my list of 'gift books' - might even get myself a copy .....
Lindsey
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet book about Humphrey the elephant who is looking for the perfect place to play. Parents will identify with the messes Humphrey creates as he looks all over the house and children will identify with finding just the right spot for play time (near mommy!). The illustrations are as beautiful as ever.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A cute story- Humphrey and his friend Mop just want a nice cosy quiet place to play, and they have a bit of trouble finding it. I liked the story, but for me the illustrations are just a bit washed out to give it the proper punch it deserves. The illustrations can be quite funny- Humphrey making sploshy sounds dropping things down the toilet, I just found them too insipid to work for me.
Kate B
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute, both the storyline and the illustrations. It would have been five stars if it hadn't stuck to 1950s stereotypical gender roles. Women-elephants don't have to stay chained to the kitchen sink, y'know.
Jody Bradley
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved this story and i'm sure when i read it to my daughter she will also like it as well. I loved the pictures and story.
Matty Smith
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anyone with toddlers to read to NEEDS this book.

Humphrey's antics ring true to me 30+ years after I was that young. And it's just a really sweet story.
Jen
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1001, childrens
I just want to give Humphrey a great big squeeze. This book is so sweet and whimsical...adorable!
Bailee
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book, but it is so cute!! You can borrow it from me if you like!
Kyrie
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I liked this cute story about a little boy (elephant) and his adventures with his toys. It made me think of how my kids would play, so it appealed greatly to my imagination.
Tammy
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness. Humphrey is just TOO cute!!! Really enjoyed the story and loved the font in the book. :)
Cindy
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
comfort and snuggling. Classic wanderings of a little one, the thought process of going from one activity to another
Amie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't like that there weren't any consequences for the mess Humphrey made. The illustrations were cute, though.
Charlotte
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Humphrey's Corner is a great bedtime book. The picutres and story are so warm and nostaligic you can't help but feel as cozy and tired as Humphrey does once he finds his just right sleeping spot.
Robyn
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
(Read with little sister as part of the "1,001 Children's Books To Read")

It was a very simple and quiet story with soft and soothing illustrations.
Tanya
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great pastel illustrations and a very relatable character and story for toddlers
Ellinor
Really cute pictures!
Rubi
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Totally reminded me how I played as kid! Loved it! :)
Shannon
Mar 30, 2011
Jessica
Jan 20, 2014
Grace
rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2014