Start by marking “Did You Carry The Flag Today, Charley?” as Want to Read:
Did You Carry The Flag Today, Charley?

Did You Carry The Flag Today, Charley?

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Charley tries to be the most helpful studentin his school so that he will get to carry the flag.
Published May 1st 1988 by Yearling (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Did You Carry The Flag Today, Charley?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Did You Carry The Flag Today, Charley?

May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Triumphant, sweet, this one will leave you cheering Charley on even if his name is spelled incorrectly.
Rachel
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children-s, own, 2007
I don't know how I missed adding this book till now. It's the delightful story of a little boy going to school for the first time. He thinks of all kinds of things that only little boys would come up with ("Does the water from the faucet turn off if I try to press my hands up against it?). The drawings are wonderful.
Samantha
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute book that takes place in Appalachia. Charley's a fun character.
N
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the kid who can never quite do what they are supposed to be doing
I LOVE this little slice of post Depression rural life. A mischievous little boy enters school and really wants to do the right thing. But it's soooo hard.
Katie Fitzgerald
In this short descriptive novel, young readers meet five-year-old Charley, the youngest boy in an Appalachian family, who, during six weeks of the summer, will attend Little School for the first time. His older siblings have all been through Little School already, and they tell Charley how much fun he will have there, but they also warn him that only the very best-behaved student gets the honor of carrying the flag at the end of the day. For the first few days of school, Charley's mischievous te ...more
Josiah
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
"If you are honest, Charley, and if you are useful, you are a valuable person. And if you know a great deal about something—oh, about almost anything—you'll find work in some place."

—Miss Sturgill, Did You Carry the Flag Today, Charley?, P. 83

This is a very simple story, with an unmistakable sense of old-fashioned charm about it. Did You Carry the Flag Today, Charley? may not be a complex book, but I truly loved it. Author Rebecca Caudill writes real "throwback" stories, even considering that
Siskiyou-Suzy
Did You Carry the Flag Today, Charley? is a cute book, but I'm not totally sure who the audience is. It's not simple enough for the youngest set, but the main character is five-years-old, so that makes it less appealing to the older set. Regardless, it's very cute. Charley has a very good attitude, he just happens to be more curious than he is obedient, and it often gets him into trouble. His teachers are kind and understanding, though, using gentle tactics to bring him under control without qua ...more
Steph
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Trying to read a few of Rebecca Caudill's stories... Cute, but if we teachers did the things Charley's teachers do in the book we would be in big trouble! And I laughed out loud when the teacher told him his mom would be upset to hear how bad he was at school and that she would certainly back up his teacher. My, how times have changed!
Courtney Bowman
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book talks about a young boy's first school days and if he carried the flag or not. His parents are super family oriented which is great for children to get a sense of.

I would want a boy to read this rather than a girl because it centers more around a boy's mind.
Karen
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Very delightful book showing the innocence, curiosity, and imagination of childhood. It also taught me as a mother to really pay attention to what my children are into and try to help foster and encourage them any way I can..krb 6/25/16
Cws
May 20, 2009 added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Cau
CLM
Nov 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
This and other Caudill novels were among the first chapter books I read.
Catherine
May 10, 2018
April Brown
Nov 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
American's children writer, as well as teacher and editor, known for her Appalachian fiction. Caudill graduated from Wesleyan College and, in 1922, received her master's degree from Vanderbilt University. She taught English in high school and college, and worked briefly as an editor. She moved to Urbana, Illinois, when she married James Ayars in 1931.

Caudill's book, Tree of Freedom, was a Newbery