Start by marking “The Reef” as Want to Read:
The Reef

The Reef

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  566 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Audio CD, 500 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Bolinda Publishing (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Reef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reef

Deborah Ideiosepius
Jennifer grew up on a farm in the outback until tragedy took her father and brother when she was a child. After this her bitter and difficult mother uproots her from the farm and takes her to a small rural town to grow up, a location Jennifer escapes by going to Uni in Sydney. Before she has finished uni she marries her boyfriend, who works in hospitality and before long is forced to follow him to a gorgeous, remote Great Barrier Reef island when he is given a job managing the eco-friendly, expe ...more
Linda
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I called this a beach book, One you can read while making sure the children do not drown as I never became connected ( I found the main character painful and weak)
Benjamin Stahl
What to say about this? At first it felt like a poor woman's Rebecca. Then it became a half-assed Michael Crichton on vaction kind of thing. Most of the characters were abysmal and I wanted to punch them. Jennifer was annoying. Blaire was a shit. Christina was a bitch. The mother was at least somewhat consistent and was the closest to being believable. She reminded me of my grandmother.

The plot was just random. Nothing of much excitement happens, and then the ending bizarrely turns into an Tint
Celia Latty-steele
It’s my first read from this author and won’t be my last. An easy read while lying by the pool on holidays ☺ ...more
Amanda Johnston
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fairly pedestrian.
Bronwyn Rykiert
I am finding the last two stories a bit some old, same old. The Islands and this one have a classic case of women marrying the wrong man, someone they have nothing in common with and spend the first half of the story complaining about it. Move on please. Some of Di's stories have been great but I am reluctant to read another in case it has a similar storyline.

You could tell that Jennifer and Blair were not a good match from word go. For me too it got a bit too much into saving the environment wh
Chiara Rodier
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Di seems to assume most of her readers are stupid. When the main character is a "scientist" and asks how the Great Barrier Reef is formed, and we get an detailed explanation, who does she think is reading this drivel!
Rosie
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every minute of this book. Would like a sequel if possible.
Carol McKnight
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I was quite disappointed in this book. When I read the scenario “on a small coral cay on the Great Barrier Reef two communities come together in an uneasy alliance: a tourist resort and a scientific research station”, it sounded like there were definite possibilities for a good read. The author took 400 pages (80%) of the book to set the scene, and the actual conflict was very understated, almost boring. Too descriptive overall, this book should have been written in a quarter of its length, to h ...more
Emily
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ve read other Morrissey books and enjoyed them however this book is barely worth two stars. I read it due to a very limited supply of books on a cruise ship. I don’t think I’ll be reading anymore Di Morrissey books...
I found the characters to be so annoying and under developed. The protagonist is woeful and her mother is honestly the worst literary character I’ve experienced. I’ve given the two stars based on the novel’s location and important undertone of marine biology and it’s impact on the
Juliana
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm clearing my books out so read this only so I could give it away. And it is a painful slog. Characters are weak, especially the main character. For someone once at university Jennifer seems to have no ecology knowledge or self motivated interest in it. Everyone else has the knowledge. to be continued.... Thank goodness this book is done. It's put me off this author. Even as a holiday read this was not credible.
Juanita
We've done a sterling job of protecting the Reef and its wildlife since this was written - 2o years (not 30 as was postulated) and it's just about dead. Good one humanity, and pretty much all for the reasons given in this fictional story. Some interesting insights into the human psyche as well.
Joy Norman
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't find this book as exciting as " monsoon " Which I lloved .became. The Reef became quite repetitive.there just seemed to me,that everything that could happen did happen . there seemed some side stories and events that occurred had no relevance on the read
Jacqueline Beal
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
OK disappointing ending
Yang Shu-yuan
Die Ökologin Jennifer Towse folgt ihrem ehrgeizigen Mann Blair widerwillig auf eine kleine Urlaubsinsel am Great Barrier Reef, wo dieser die Leitung eines Hotels übernehmen soll. Jennifer fürchtet das Meer, denn als kleines Mädchen musste sie miterleben, wie ihr Vater und ihr Bruder ertrunken sind. Bald nach ihrer Ankunft zeigt sich, dass Blair in üble Machenschaften um das Hotelmanagement verstrickt ist. Noch schwieriger wird die Situation, nachdem Jennifer feststellt, dass sie ein Kind erwarte ...more
Jane Baker
Enjoyed this right from the first cover. This novel presents the conflicts experienced by a young girl whose father and brother are drowned on a visit to the beach having been a farming family and that of her mother. The mother is possessive. The young girl marries a young man in the hope of a better life only to find he is ambitious to get ahead rather than accommodate her growing desire to be a Marine Biologist. This scenario takes place on a lovely island in Queensland where all seems idealic ...more
Bron
The Reef is the story of a young girl's maturation process, which just happens to occur on a peaceful resort on the Coral Reef. We watch Jennifer learn to deal with her dominant mother and male chauvenistic husband. Through her new social set, Jennifer realises that although her husband and mother do not believe she should use her studies, or even pursue them further, this is exactly what she would like to do, and her friends help her to achieve her goals.

Not the most exciting of Di Morrissey's
Terese Stockdale
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Three stars. Yes some of the characters were annoying but they are meant to be. Jennifer is frustrating at the beginning but grows throughout the book. I love the setting of this book being of the island and the reef. I even enjoyed the likeable characters that study and want to preserve it. Although I had to wonder how Jennifer's baby didn't end up with foetal alcohol syndrome with her drinking in the early stages of pregnancy. Good easy light read even though it is predictable.
Magicalbookfriend
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Es ist ein wunderschönes Buch, was mich von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite sehr fasziniert hat. Ich habe es geliebt, mit Jennifer am Strand entlang zu wandern, ihre abende mit ihren neuen Freunden zu verbringen und zu sehen, ob sie jemals wieder ins Wasser steigt. Denn sie hatte als kleines Mädchen ein traumatisches Erlebnis.
Ein tolles Buch!
Billa
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have been meaning to read a Di Morrissey book for some time just to see what the fuss is about. I bought this one at an op shop while on holiday and having run out of reading material. Lots of things happened in this book much of which was not believable, and the story is shallow and undeveloped. There was a bit of everything and a lot of nothing. A really boring holiday read.
Vicki
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really love audio books, but the value I get out of this format is very much dependant on the narrator. In this case I felt the voice of the main character was very hard to take "Squeaky and high pitched like a little girl instead of a woman in her 20's." Other than that a very enjoyable story. One of her best.
Anne
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Was a bit disappointed again with Di Morrissey. There is not much excitement or much happening in this story. It was bland and the sort of story that could be shortened to appear in a womens magazine. Won't recommend as one of her better novels.
Rianne Marijke
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Very likable story. The end drags a little, then suddenly picks up speed and before you know it, it's over. I really wanted to punch some characters in the face, so in that respect Morrissey succeeded.
Liz Phillips
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I rated 4 for a holiday read, probably a bit generous but seemed appropriate given I read it in Bali by the beach
Marian
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
lovely description of the great barrier reef but pretty lousy story line.
Steve Egger
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Ok story- easy enough to to read, but not one that will stay with me.
Ethne Mcleod
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting
Paula
Jul 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish

Can't stand the mother in this book.... Have never read this author before but thought I'd have a go... Don't think I'll bother with it
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Nancy 3 stars; Ron didn��_t read
Miranda
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I actually read the book instead of the audio version. Not that great of a story, kinda leaves you hanging.
  • Heritage
  • The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare
  • Wings of Fear (Border Watch #1)
  • Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4)
  • Sunset Ridge
  • Mallawindy
  • Silver Clouds
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ