Start by marking “The Haunted Attic (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Attic (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #2)

The Haunted Attic

(Judy Bolton Mysteries #2)

The Boltons move into a large rambling house reputed to be haunted. Even the brave Judy is thoroughly frightened by the eerie ""crying ghost.""
Published May 1st 1994 by Applewood Books (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted Attic

Judy
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read all the Judy Bolton books when I was a young girl. Aprox. 65
I was named after her by my sister.

About 5 years ago I found a fan club for her on line and I joined it and bought and re-read every book along with the group. The Haunted Attic was my favorite as a young girl and now as an young lady of 72.

I gave my collection to my granddaughter Ashley and it started her reading and she now is in college and plans go into criminal justice.
Hmmmm!! Maybe I started somethi
Sarah Crawford
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
1932.
Judy and her family move into a house that is supposed to be haunted. It belonged at one time to Vine Thompson who was the leader of a gang and who died but left behind hidden loot.
Judy has major problems at school since some students make the assumption that she stole a valuable ring and are now shunning her. The house seems to cause problems since she hears various strange-sounding noises at night

A sub-mystery revolves around Peter who doesn't know who his parents
Sara
I enjoy a good mystery and I'm a sucker for old books, so I picked this one up at a secondhand shop on a whim. I wasn't disappointed by the mystery, it was very well put-together and the conclusion was very satisfying. Unfortunately the Mean Girls subplot came with a side of Spite Party, and I kept wishing Judy had just thrown Lois's ring back in her face the moment she started acting like a jerk. Still, I was glad when that plot resolved itself and the other girls came to Judy's party anyway. I ...more
MARLENE RANTZ
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another very good Judy Bolton Mystery.
Nancy Bandusky
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in a series where time moves along and the characters grow up. This novel lets the reader get to learn more about the characters that we met in the first book and meet new ones that will play important roles as the series/lives progress.
This is one of my favorites as it involves Judy dealing with "class" issues as well as fitting in at her new high school and forming friendships.
Stephanie
A childhood favorite that rereading reveals to be terribly rickety in terms of plot, but still satisfying in a nostalgic way. I hadn't recalled there being so much about class: Judy Bolton (like Nancy Drew, but better) lives on the dividing line between the more affluent and working class neighborhoods, and wants to be friends with both the girls who go to high school ("her set") and the girls who work at the mill. Gee whiz, she's a neat girl!
Maggie Holmes
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a weaker story in some ways but it does introduce us to Irene and the other mill girls. I can see why the bullying would appeal to young readers. Horace is starting to get stronger.
The most interesting part was that this edition had an introduction by Margaret Sutton telling how she came to write the stories. Most of them were based on true events. She was making up stories to tell her step-daughter. Never knew that.
Sep
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Judy Bolton gave Nancy Drew a run for her money in the early "girls' mysteries" genre. Judy is less perfect than Nancy and actually goes to school, has fights with friends, and has a haunted attic. Margaret Sutton wrote a whole series of these. I'll see if I can find some more. I believe in the later ones, Judy grows up and gets engaged. In this book she is in her first year of high school. Some interesting class struggles between the regular high school and technical school.
Jacquie Sewell
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't put a read date in because I have read this book and every other one in the series so often that I have lost track. My love of Judy Bolton started in the 60s and continues to this day. Margaret Sutton based many of her stories on real events and created in Judy the best girl detective that ever sleuthed her way through a novel. Unlike other girl detectives of the era, Judy matured as the books progressed. The stories are well plotted, suspenseful and believable.
Lois
Sep 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying re-visiting the past and reading some of the Judy Bolton books that I read many years ago while in high school. This is the second in the series, and it picks up the events of the first book and continues the story. It's a quick read, but it held my interest. In fact, I couldn't put it down until I had "solved the mystery" along with Judy.
Maureen
I received a few of these mystery books as a teenager. I loved them then and am now rereading them. Loved them then and love them now. It is interesting how the mind works and what you can find if you look . You will always find a reasonable answer to any situation. Judy and Horace did in the Haunted Attic. Now it is no longer haunted. They are a quick read.
Deana David Lissenberg
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE these Judy Bolton books-- just discovering them now that I'm 40! I'm on a vintage young adult kick. They are just what you think -- they ooze charm, are romantic, visual, exciting, a little predictable. But they do make fun reading. I'm tearing through all the Margaret Sutton titles and fining I'm really looking forward to bedtime and picking up my books again!
Sue
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-children
I missed the Judy Bolton books growing up (probably because I didn't like Nancy Drew), and I've only read the first 10 or so as an adult. I really enjoyed these, and sometime when I have the time (and the money) I would like to track down the series and read them in order.
Jackie
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was much better than the first and had a lot more mystery. I really enjoyed this one as it gave Judy, the main character a reality check in a way. She's a character you could relate to, or your grandmother could if she grew up in the time period of the book.
Danine
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I like attics. I loved this book.
Sheralyn
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-youth
One of my favorite books as a child, it took me forever to find it again. I have always loved the story and somehow failed to notice it was a series.
Wilma
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Pretty good mystery story.....
Aidan
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Aidan by: my grandma
I Finished this book in a day! it was really intresting!! never boring except for at the beginning!
Nora
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
I admit it. I love girls series books. I have been reading Judy Bolton books this summer. Well, it's summer and they are fun.
Arlene Allen
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so much more fun than Nancy Drew - she was a real kid!
Tamsen
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This one really brings (what I guess will be) Judy's inner circle together: Judy, Arthur, Lois, and Lorraine. I wonder if Peter and Horace will be in the loop or more as beloved outsiders? P.S. I predict Peter and Judy will end up together. At least, I am rooting for them over an Arthur/Judy mashup. Crossing my fingers for more police chief Kelly in the future also.

Some horrors for the 2019 reader: Judy goes to a new friend's home/mansion and: "A colored maid in a white cap and apron
Jessica Dudenhofer Beery
Great story!!! Loved it as much as the first one...glad I ordered #3 so it's sitting here waiting for me. Love the innocent, clean (and yet exciting) mystery! And yeah, if I was a girl, I'd totally have a crush on Peter. :-)
I appreciated how the author made a point to show that things done in anger have repercussions...and that the heroine isn't a perfect individual. Judy learned a few important lessons about friendship in this one.
Elizabeth
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
These books were fine when I was nine but teenagers saying “splendid” just seem incongruous now.
Frank
Good entry in the Judy Bolton series.
Kate Farrell
Aug 23, 2009
Gina
Dec 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• By the Light of the Study Lamp (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #1)
  • Just Patty
  • Donna Parker at Cherrydale (Donna Parker, #1)
  • The Mystery on the Mississippi
  • Cherry Ames, Visiting Nurse (Cherry Ames, #8)
  • The Annotated Archy and Mehitabel
  • Adulterers Anonymous
Margaret Sutton was born Rachel Irene Beebe in Odin, Pennsylvania in 1903. She was the daughter of Victor Beebe, a well-known historian, and Estella Andrews Beebe. Being a spirited nonconformist, she dropped out of high school, but in 1920, graduated from the Rochester Business Institute. After graduation, she worked for several years as a secretary and in printing. During that time, she met Willi ...more

Judy Bolton Mysteries (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Invisible Chimes
  • Seven Strange Clues (Judy Bolton)
  • The Ghost Parade (Judy Bolton)
  • The Yellow Phantom (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #6)
  • The Mystic Ball (Judy Bolton)
  • The Voice in the Suitcase (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #8)
  • The Mysterious Half Cat (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #9)
  • The Riddle of the Double Ring (Judy Bolton)
  • The Unfinished House (Judy Bolton)