Start by marking “Marriage: The Mystery of Faithful Love” as Want to Read:
Marriage: The Mystery of Faithful Love

Marriage: The Mystery of Faithful Love

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Your path to a stronger, happier marriage. The sublime vocation of marriage and the essentials that make it a source of profound happiness and lasting peace. It's a must for anyone who is eager to live worthily this great mystery of love.
Paperback
Published November 1st 1984 by Sophia Institute Press (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marriage

Beth
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that was a quick read, that I now have to go back and read section by section and really process it. Highly recommend.
Andrew Hedstrom
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great philosophical--phenomenological--treatise on marriage.
Anna
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gem of a book. Dietrich delves into the beauty and dignity of married love.
Very highly recommended.
Heidi
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My husband's parents gifted us this volume shortly before our wedding, and while I'm not Catholic, I found it a wonderful book to read through together as we started our marriage.

It is a short book, but definitely not a quick read! We found that a page or two sparked an hour of discussion and re-reading the text to better digest Hildebrand's ideas.

Unlike most books on marriage, this isn't a "how to" manual with practical tips and suggestions for a God-centered marriage. This is a densely writt
Elaine
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sanctity and sacredness of marriage is so profound! Love is the meaning of marriage, procreation is the purpose (there’s a difference). The indissolubility of marriage means taking a huge risk, but without such risks we cannot attain the grandeur and heroism that we are called to!
“In natural conjugal love the real individuality of the partner is mysteriously revealed.”
“Being in love constitutes the only truly awakened state.”
And Luke 9:62 ‘Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow
Walt
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book about marriage. This should be required ready for all couples, especially those preparing for marriage. Highly recommended.
Brian
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book outlining the concept of what a faithful, Christian marriage should look like. Though a small book, the language is very dense which made me have to read many sections several times to grasp the meaning. The book was originally published in 1929 in German and translated to English in 1942. This book is still relevant today.
Daniel
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brief book that reminds one of the meaning of love and marriage. While von Hildebrand tends to repeat himself, his essay provides much on which to ruminate.
Erik
Dec 07, 2009 marked it as to-read
recommended by Nathan
J Crossley
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This classic looks at marriage through the eyes of faith.
Peter
Aug 19, 2016
Karen Power
Jan 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Dietrich von Hildebrand was a German Catholic philosopher and theologian who was called (informally) by Pope Pius XII "the 20th Century Doctor of the Church."

Pope John Paul II greatly admired the work of von Hildebrand, remarking once to von Hildebrand's widow, Alice von Hildebrand, "Your husband is one of the great ethicists of the twentieth century." Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has a particular
More about Dietrich von Hildebrand