Start by marking “The Grey Islands” as Want to Read:
The Grey Islands

John Steffler

The Grey Islands

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews

A modern classic of Canadian poetry, The Grey Islands is one man"s meditation on the interplay between nature and human society in the rugged setting of coastal Newfoundland.

Published April 13th 1985 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about The Grey Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grey Islands

HomeInMyShoes
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The wind. The sea. The rock. A much appreciated meditation on a place I lived for a few years.
Lara Maynard
Aaagh! I was just a couple characters away from a finished review for this audiobook when I hit "restart now" instead of "restart later" on a virus software update popup. Will write it again later when I'm a little less pissed off at myself and technology.
Nick
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great free-verse with supporting prose. Perfect for reading all day by a fire in the Pacific Northwest winters.
Erika Westman
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional work. Why had I never heard of John Steffler before? Delivered in poems and short prose, the story follows a husband-father-urban planner on his lone quest to find himself or run away to the remote and abandoned Grey Islands of Newfoundland. There, he encounters characters, ghosts, fish, and questions about his life choices.

One of the most memorable scenes takes place on a fishing boat: knee deep in cod, he learns to gut the fish and realizes there's nothing but a thin layer of skin
Alexander Weber
Night on the island is full of power. In the dark the land and sea are released from the spell of logic and industry the sun’s light places upon them. The water, the trees and hills rise up. They roam and assume what shapes they wish.

At one point last night I stepped out of the cabin and was startled by the gigantic glaring presence of the moon, its reflection reaching in a broad flashing path down the sea, like a river of cold light falling straight to the cabin door. I had never seen the moon
Tim Cresswell
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful discovery - the launch of a new edition in a run down tavern in Ottawa. Brick Books putting out a new edition with Steffler and friends reading from it. I bought is and read it. Both old and new at the same time. On the one had a lone male withdrawing into nature - not so new - on the other a mix of prose, poems, census details - many voices - very modern. Loved it.
Stephanie