Start by marking “The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)

The Yellow House Mystery

(The Boxcar Children #3)

The spooky old house on Surprise Island intrigues Benny.
Published January 1st 1989 by Albert Whitman Company (first published November 30th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow House Mystery, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Try reading it. It's not hard, it's aimed at eight-year-olds.

Start your review of The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
Kaitlin Moore
I want to start a new series and call it Boxcar Therapy where the Boxcar children are in their 30s and Violet confronts her crippling anxiety, Henry deals with his bisexual tendencies, Benny is married and expects his wife to treat him like his family did and theyre in therapy cause hes a spoiled little jerk, and Jessie deals with the depression shes carrying from always having to be the responsible one.

I can see them sitting on the couch, Violet with a cigarette in her hand, blowing out the
Ellen
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, audio

This was a bit more satisfying than book 2, but I wanted a bit more mystery.
Lisa
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
How do they just keep picking up strays in every book? Introducing more and more characters. Also - that mans house is going to run out of room to keep housing everyone. Going from living alone to suddenly having 8 roommates and a dog? No thank you.
Jerry
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story...but weird illustrations.
Devann
Continuing my slow reread of this series and although it's definitely a super simplistic read as an adult, it's unintentionally hilarious enough to make up for it. In this third volume the kids find YET ANOTHER estranged person associated with their family [I guess points because it's not actually a relative this time]. Honestly they've gotta knock this off soon because even their mansion can only hold so many people ;)

I did find this a bit more interesting than the first two books, although it
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Meh, or as Benny said so often in this book, Ho-hum. Though he misused what in my experience has always been an indicator of boredom. It was okay, but odd.

1. I don't know too many six-year-old boys who can't wait for a wedding, unless it's for the cake. Particularly Benny, particularly in the 1950s. They would see it as torture, having to bathe and dress up and be on best behaviour.

2. How many newlyweds rush off to spend two weeks in a barn? Particularly a barn whose only sleeping arrangements
Theresa Abney
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
Sam Kuntz
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Yellow House Mystery is about how the Boxcar Children find out how a man named Bill Macgregor vanishes in the summer. They find a note that says to go to Bare Trail to find 'THE MONEY ' as the book said. They go to Bare Trail and they find a man who lives in the woods. He is called Dave Hunter. They have to find 'THE MONEY' and Bill. Maybe Dave Hunter is Bill Macgregor.
You have to read the book to find out what happens.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kids
The Boxcar Children are trying to solve a 40 year old mystery that takes them from Surprise Island all the way up to Maine on a rugged and amazing camping trip.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the descriptions of camping. And thought that the book as a whole came to a really satisfying conclusion. Great series!
Christine Hwang
The Yellow House Mystery is the first book in the Boxcar Mystery series to have a real mystery and is one my favorites. Readers will enjoy this fun quick read with a wonderful canoeing/camping adventure mixed in with the mystery. It is a great introduction to the mystery genre for young readers.
Bri
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found like five typing mistakes in this but it just adds to the quirkiness in owning such an old book.
Leah
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place in the summer on Connecticut and Maine. It begins where the previous book left off. The children and their cousin and his wife spend a week in Maine looking for a missing person. They camp, fish, canoe, and cook.
Enos
"I like the that Mrs. McGregor and Bill found each other again." -Cadee, age 6
Lindsay Wilcox
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: hn, grade-school
This was my favorite Boxcar Children book as a kid because of the mystery and the journey in canoes. Its much better than the second one, and my kids enjoyed listening to it in the car. ...more
Octavia Cade
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, mystery
What the hell. Poor kind old Mrs. MacGregor, the housekeeper to all these children, used to be married to a thief, who ran off to do thieving things and left her alone for 40 odd years, never knowing if he were dead or alive. It turns out hubby has been living as a hermit, having stupidly swallowed a cock and bull story that his wife was dead (and even more stupidly failing to check, because the source of his info was criminal and vicious and oh, so trustworthy!). Four meddling children reunite ...more
Matthew
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I reread this book as an adult and I can see what my friend was saying about classism in the books. There definitely is some sense that non-wealthy people don't count in Ms. Warner's world. But the world is fun and the struggles and independence of the kids feel believable. There is some sexual division of labor, but it reads like Ms. Warner was a feminist for her time period - she believed that girls could do just as much and contribute just as much as boys, even if she acknowledged they were ...more
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book 3 of the Boxcar Children
Niharikaa
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
it was exciting and u could also at the end of the story guess who was the person they were looking for.
Shemaiah Gonzalez
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The boys really enjoyed this mystery and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Me? I think I'm done reading Boxcar Children books
Nevada Libert
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-read-alouds
i love reading box car to my brothers. me and my brothers love the mysterys in the box car sires.
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5*

So, unlike Surprise Island, this book has a seemingly better mystery element. And it does bring back some characteristics of the first book, The Boxcar Children, in regards to survival. This book wasn't what I thought it was going to be (which I'll get to later), and I don't think it holds up to other children's mystery books. However, I liked it for nostalgic purposes and the fact that it was a quick and easy read.

In this summer adventure, the children uncover the mystery of The Yellow
JP
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Remember Surprise Island? Remember

Then Henry said, Grandfather, thats one thing we cant understand. Why didnt we ever get to go into that little yellow house? Doesnt it belong to you?

Mr. Alden looked at his grandchildren. Then he said quietly, Thats another story.

Well here you go: The Yellow House Mystery.

Herein, we actually go into said Yellow House on Surprise Island to investigate yet another mystery of yet another long lost family member (of sorts). At some point, they're going to run out
Allison
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The best word I have to describe this book would be quaint.
Written in the 1950s, it gives off a very Pleasantville vibe. Everything in the Boxcar childrens lives is just swell, even when they run into setbacks. Of course, this was written for children, therefore Im sure the characters were intended to model ideal behavior.
As to the mystery - it was fairly straightforward. No major twists or turns. Again, very much intended for children. Id be very curious if kids today would find these stories
Lisa Brown
A sweet little mystery with the Alden kids from the original Box Car Children book. In this story, the kids discover a mystery surrounding the yellow house on Surprise Island, and they are determined to solve the mystery and find the missing man, Bill. They take a trip upstate on their search, and discover the truth.

A fun, clean, simple read that is a great introductory mystery book for kids. My older kids love this whole series, but I read this book to my five year old son, and he just loved
Misbah
Series: The Boxcar Children, 3
Format: ebook
Length: N/A
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: The spooky old house on Surprise Island intrigues Benny.

Mini-review: Maybe it's just because the times have changed but these characters seem to be written too young for their ages. I've worked with 6-7 year olds before and they didn't act anything like Benny, Benny acts more like a toddler. And Henry doesn't act like he's sixteen, but more like he's 10.
Tnb
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alone-3, alone-4
This is only the second book in the series that I have read but I do dare say that the series may be less appealing to today's young readers. The settings of the mysteries are fine and maybe the sole reason children would read these books. The writing is easy but dull. Every second of the adventure is recorded, leaving the reader to wonder "is it all important". I think that there are better stories in the market which present more engaging stories with better writing.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS

Recommended for grades 2-4. Lexile level: 440
Reviewed by Christine Hwang, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)
  • Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Dolphin Adventure (Dolphin Adventure #1)
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas
  • Om-Kas-Toe Blackfoot Twin Captures Elkdog

Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR

The Boxcar Children (1 - 10 of 153 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)
  • Caboose Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #11)