Start by marking “For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down” as Want to Read:
For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down

For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A suspenseful and moving novel which has at its centre one of Richards' most memorable and haunting characters. It is the fall of 1989 in a small Miramichi mill town. Jerry Bines is acquitted of murder and returns home to his estranged wife and young son, with hopes for a new beginning. But when he learns that Gary Percy Rils has escaped from prison, he has good reason to ...more
Published September 11th 2000 by Emblem Editions (first published August 28th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down

Kereesa
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hmmm..that's a really good question
For Those Who Hunt the Wounded Down was another novel we read in my seminar class this year, and was my first DAR (David Adams Richards) novel.

I KNOW. I don't know how I am Canadian, not to mention a Maritimer, and even worse a New Brunswicker and have not read anything by DAR, (though thankfully I'm not from the 'chi). I blame my French heritage.

(For those of you who don't know, DAR=pretty big deal here)

Anyway the novel basically revolves around the memories and statements of various people ab
John Hanson
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-softcovers
This is my first DAR read, possibly surprising; because I live in New Brunswick. I heard him read last winter and was impressed with the old guy's prose so much I couldn't sluff him off any longer. I picked this thing up for $1 at a library sale. I have two more in my pile.

My first reaction: "are people serious about this man's greatness as a writer?" It read like something a middle schooler on serious drugs might write, telling vs. showing at its worst. I read a few pages then set it down for a
Diana Stevan
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
An eye opener. He writes with such compassion, taking you inside the world of those who for whatever reason are down on their luck. The characters are those who society often overlooks. Their pain and confusion over how to make it life is written with such understanding, I wonder if David Adams Richards has ever worked in the helping professions.
Stephen Ring
One of the seven novels read for my Maritime fiction course. David Adams Richards is a powerful New Brunswick author, and this is the third in his first Miramachi trilogy. For earlier background on many of the characters, Nights Below Station Street should be read. Each work is self-contained.
Scott
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was thinking about this book this morning for some reason. I quite enjoyed it, with its clear climb to what could be its only conclusion. I may re-read this as it was a convenient length full of well developed characters and a lot of personality.
Gayle
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing insight. Third in Mirimachi trilogy.
Sylvie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could not get into it.
Lindasp
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
The story was a bit disjointed but focused on characters living in the Miramachi area who live sad lives with few expectations or hopes for a future.
Kelsey
Oct 12, 2013 added it
Shelves: uni-novels
Interesting novel.
Stacy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it hard to follow who was who, but, once again, Richards has nailed the characters and the voice of the area.
Ibis3
Aug 02, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NCL.2006-10-01
Vicki
Both really good, and really not good. Full review to explain eventually.

2.5/5
Marc
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
OK book, trilogy was not best of his...
Karlee Guitard
Nov 05, 2014
Shan
May 22, 2013
Ian Hatlevig
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2018
  • Next Episode
  • Light Lifting
  • Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
  • Glass Boys
  • Murther and Walking Spirits (Toronto Trilogy, #1)
  • The Danger Tree: Memory, War, And The Search For A Family's Past
  • Canadian History for Dummies
  • River Thieves
  • Born with a Tooth
  • How I Spent My Summer Holidays
  • The Back of the Turtle
David Adams Richards (born 17 October 1950) is a Canadian novelist, essayist, screenwriter and poet.

Born in Newcastle, New Brunswick, Richards left St. Thomas University in Fredericton, New Brunswick, one course shy of completing a B.A. Richards has been a writer-in-residence at various universities and colleges across Canada, including the University of New Brunswick.

Richards has received numerou
“Now the end is going to come - in one fashion or another", Bines said, softly, and again he turned to Ralphie and smiled. "We all know, the end will come. You either face your hunters or run from them.” 3 likes
“Some people just have more of a chance than others, and some just have to take the chances that they have. I know a lot of people who were more unfortunate than Jerry Bines, who turned out much better-” 1 likes