Start by marking “Axiomatic” as Want to Read:
Axiomatic

Axiomatic

(Collected Stories #1)

Axiomatic is a collection of Greg Egan's short stories that appeared in various science fiction magazines (mostly Interzone and Asimov's) between 1989 and 1992.

Contents:
The Infinite Assassin (1991)
The Hundred Light-Year Diary (1992)
Eugene (1990)
The Caress (1990)
Blood Sisters (1991)
Axiomatic (1990)
The Safe-Deposit Box (1990)
Seeing (1995)
A Kidnapping (1995)
Learning to Be Me
Published December 1st 1997 by HarperPrism (first published April 17th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Axiomatic, please sign up.
Ankit That's a really good assessment. I think as someone with a more formal training in mathematics, Egan seems to focus more on building the overall…moreThat's a really good assessment. I think as someone with a more formal training in mathematics, Egan seems to focus more on building the overall systems and structures for his stories, and then placing an individual entity inside these and seeing how this imagined structure brings forth a realization of the 'self', quite like a numerical simulation of a mathematical model to derive inferences from it. Honestly some of Chiang's stories take this approach as well (the one with the pneumatic beings for instance), except that I feel his prose is slightly more fluid than Egan's, even though Egan's ideas are a better crystallized in the formal sense.(less)

Kevin Kelsey
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hugely original ideas, not every story is a home run but there are enough 5/5 stories here to make this very recommended for any fan of hard science fiction. The concepts are extremely unique even 20 years later. Very similar to Ted Chiang’s writing. I have no idea why Greg Egan isn’t a household name in SF.

“As the unknowable future becomes the unchangeable past, risk must collapse into certainty, one way or another.”

“We think of our lives as circumscribed by cultural and biological taboos, but
Manuel Antão
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Symplectic Geometry: "Axiomatic" by Greg Egan

"The Hundred-Light-Year-Diary" Story: Physics -> Time-Reverse Universe (5 stars)

“I climbed out of bed and started dressing, although I had no reason to hurry home [he’s shagging someone other than his wife]. Alison [his wife] knew all about us; apparently, she’d known since childhood that her husband would turn out to be a piece of shit.”

“The ignorance cults say that knowing the future ro
Brian
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of sci-fi short fiction, told in the key of Philip K. Dick but with much better characters and dialogue. Some of the ideas presented in this collection are haunting and seem day-after-tomorrow possible; Egan seasons his stories with just the right amount of science and technology to give the reader a sense of realism amidst the unfolding dystopia.
Tom
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Axiomatic is an absolutely incredible collection of hard science fiction short stories, comparable to Ted Chiang's best work. Reading this book meant being bombarded by idea after idea, challenging my imagination as well as thoroughly taxing my scientific knowledge. The biologically-leaning stories were the easiest to comprehend for me, as I have tertiary biological education. High-school physics (and my history of reading sci-fi) was enough to arm me for the rest of the stories, although some c ...more
Derek
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, sf
If there's a common thread in this collection of short stories, it's "what makes me, me?"

From the opening story, in which a man travels the multiplicity of parallel universes, assassinating the people who cause breaches between them; to a pair of tales involving the use of neural implants to change what a person believes; to the stories about the Ndoli Jewel: a device that everybody has implanted in their skulls at birth, that learns everything they do, and is eventually used to replace the brai
Ben Loory
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant. every story is literally amazing and his voice is one of a kind-- so calm, understanding, intelligent, and rational, while still being fun (not funny but actually fun). there's a part of me that wishes he could actually land an ending, but i'm not sure it's even really possible in this mode. so don't wait for the big cathartic moment; i think he probably sees catharsis as a low-level trap.

anyway, i'll certainly be reading this book again. as well as all his others.
Sara Mazzoni
Axiomatic è una raccolta di racconti di fantascienza cyberpunk, o post-cyberpunk, ambientati spesso sui fondali polverosi di un noir (poliziotti, investigatori privati, situazioni “muscolari”) che nei momenti migliori prende la strada dell’assurdo, dell’imprevedibile perché improbabile.

Il cyberpunk si trova nel tema ricorrente del potenziamento dell’umano, in virtù del quale l’uomo vive la propria mente e il proprio corpo come una realtà biologica aumentata attraverso dispositivi di sua invenzio
Pablo Bueno
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Axiomático está considerada hoy en día como una de las antologías de relatos más importantes de la Ciencia Ficción de las últimas décadas. Ciencia ficción Hard. Muy hard en algunos casos.

Mi experiencia con este libro ha sido curiosa: para empezar, no soy un gran consumidor de este tipo de literatura salvo en su versión menos dura; para seguir, llegué a él con respeto y temor reverencial por todo lo que había leído al respecto y las innumerables referencias que existen. Sea como sea, tengo que co
Yon Salgado
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cifi
He necesitado unos días para decidir qué era lo que quería contar sobre Axiomático, porque creo que una reseña al uso quedaría muy superficial para lo que implica este libro.

Lo primero que debo decir, y que valga de aviso/sugerencia, es que son relatos que exigen concentración si quieres sacarle el máximo partido. Hay tramos de ciencia ficción hard, aunque creo que son sobrellevables con un poco de ganas.

Bien. Sin entrar a spoilers, ¿qué vas a encontrar en el libro de relatos de Egan?

Especulaci
Matthew Gatheringwater
Who are you, really? It isn't always easy to tell, especially when you live in a society where 18-year-olds routinely have their heads scooped out like melons and replace their brains with computers. Sure, the computer does everything the brain did and it is less likely to malfunction, but what if something does go wrong, just every now and then?

This is the premise of one of an interesting collection of stories by Greg Egan. Most of the stories have something to do with the way technology shapes
Juan
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Esta es la primera vez que leo una novela de Greg Egan y tengo que decir que la experiencia ha sido más que satisfactoria.

Axiomático esta compuesto por una colección de relatos, todos ellos de enorme calidad, que se podrían encasillar dentro de lo que se denomina ciencia ficción dura (Hard SciFi).

Como decía, el libro consta de 18 relatos, algunos mejores que otros, pero todos con una gran capacidad de provocar en el lector momentos de reflexión que te acompañan durante varias horas después de su
Ricard
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aquesta antologia m’ha obert els ulls cap a una Hard-SF que mai m’havia plantejat llegir. Estic confús, i sobretot, espantat per algunes històries molt creïbles però horrorífiques. Inicialment volia posar-li sols 4.0/5.0 perquè Egan utilitza una narració molt similar en tots els relats; però els conceptes són tan bons, i tenim aquí relats tan originals, que no puc treure-li el seu mèrit... Que parlem de contes escrits fins el 1992!
Volia quedar-me amb la simple recomanació, però per futures relec
Raul Ruiz
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leer a Egan es pasarse la Ciencia Ficción en modo Dios. Acabarse el Dark Souls. El final boss para el que se inicia en el género. ¿Has leído a Egan? Si ¿No te ha gustado? Bueno no pasa nada, no te preocupes, es casi normal. Yo tardé 16 largos años en pillarle el punto. Pero si acabas pillándole el punto y te acercas a esta recopilación de relatos cortos vas FLIPAR como pocas veces. Porque ara bien o para mal, no hay otro tío como Greg Egan. Ponte un casco porque te va a reventar la olla.
Olethros
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-Frialdad, belleza y reflexión.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Dieciséis relatos del autor previamente publicados en distintos medios entre 1989 y 1992 más dos inéditos, que desde premisas Hard (pero no desarrollos) de Ciencia-Ficción en cuanto a los conceptos y bases nos ofrecen diferentes ejercicios dramáticos que nos llevarán a conocer, entre otros, a un virólogo que cree en el castigo divino, unas personas que han leído ya sus diarios del futuro, el trabajo de creación de un bebé de capa
Daniorte
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Axiomático es una recopilación de relatos con la que he disfrutado tal como si fuera "Yo, robot". Cada relato es una posibilidad futura de lo mas enrevesada y en mayor o menor medida incluso plausible. Desde ciencia ficción enmarcada en la biología,los avances tecnológicos pasando incluso por los universos paralelos.

Cada relato te deja ganas de que continuara y sobretodo te deja un rato pensando y con ganas de contarle a alguien lo que acabas de leer e imaginarte si eso fuera posible. Te plantea
Peter Mcloughlin
William Gibson said the future is here just unevenly spread about. Perceptive and imaginative science fiction collects pieces of future lying about in our world and crafts interesting mind blowing stories based on concepts and nuggets of the science we know. Greg Egan's collection of short stories explores the consequences of ideas we speculate upon in his fictional worlds. They are a great example of the genre on step ahead of people right now. Really enjoyable.
Roy
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing collection of short stories. My first reading of anything by Egan. Complicated ideas but extremely well written and alot of fun. At times quite in depth with his knowledge of the scientific topic but it challenges the readers ideas and perceptions which I love about Scifi.
Manu
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
I have always been amazed at Neal Stephenson for being able to write Snowcrash and The Diamond Age in 1992 and 1995 respectively. I am now equally amazed that Greg Egan wrote this in 1995. In fact, even more, because while the first two books were novels and dealt with a smaller number of concepts, this book is a collection of short stories, and except for a (connected/repeat) couple, are unique concepts. Imagine, 18 stories with ideas that would still be regarded as science fiction!
In addition
Adam
I've only read some of this guy's stuff online, and once his short fiction appears in affordable versions i will snap it up. A hallucinatory, mind warping, and terrifying combination of Triptree jr.,Ted Chiang,Ballard, and Borges. Hard Science and painfully realized concepts that will effect the way you view each moment of your life.
Nicolas
Bon, je n'arriverai pas à tout faire en un coup : les nouvelles sont trop denses, et je sors trop chamboulé de chacune pour pouvoir me permettre d'attendre la fin de cette lecture. Voici donc mes avis sur chacune des nouvelles qui composent ce qui est pour moi un authentique chef d'oeuvre.

L'assassin infini

J'ai à peu près compris la base de cette histoire : dans un multivers connu, c'est-à-dire où on sait que c'est un multivers, il existe une drogue permettant de "voyager" dans les univers parall
Mark
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stories of science, medicine, and I guess rescue operations.
Aaron Arnold
Great stuff. My favorite author as a kid was Isaac Asimov, and his Foundation and Robot novels gave me a permanent appetite for books that try to take ridiculous ideas about the future as seriously as possible, factory-farmed MFA-approved "literary" qualities be damned. The average story in this collection of 18 is twenty pages long, but each one has an absurd number of nutcase ideas per page, and it's wonderful. There's no way I can summarize all of the stories so I only want to talk about two, ...more
Jason
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nodozejoze
Elchamaco
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,7

Un libro muy interesante, con una calidad muy alta en todos los relatos. Algo que sorprende porque incluso en recopilaciones de distintos autores que en teoría sería más sencillo poder tener todos los relatos muy buenos lo normal es que varios flojeen, y no sucede con esta compilación de Greg Egan.

En cuanto al libro la mayor parte de los relatos se construyen planteando una tecnología y las implicaciones que tienen, es más un libro de filosofía sobre el ser que de ciencia ficción en realidad.
Outis
Egan is evidently a remarkably clever author. And he's got a clue. It makes for a most satisfying read.
Looking at the publication dates, I've got to say he was ahead of his time as well.

There are naturally a few duds among these stories but enough really good ones to make up for them.
Peeking at the other reviews, I noted with interest that some people loved stories I hated and vice-versa so I'll play the game: my faves are The Hundred-Light-Years Diary, The Safe-Deposit Box, Seeing, Learning to
Joe Silber
A heady collection of hard sci-fi short stories mostly revolving around themes such as identity, free will, and the nature of consciousness. Egan's prose isn't the greatest, but his ideas are so unique and fascinating that the pages fly by. Some of these stories will blow you away. Highly recommended.
Sonya Christine
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for hard sci-fi lovers. Mr. Egan knows his business and his ideas are mind-blowing!
Leemaslibros
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Voy a tener bronca con Elías por dejarme pasar tanto tiempo este libro. Alucinante.
Robert Martin
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The joke is that appreciating Egan’s work requires a PhD in physics. This possibly applied to a couple of the stories in this collection, but most of them are pretty accessible, and just great scifi all round.

I think The Hundred-Light-Year-Diary is really exemplary: it is set in a near-future society where everyone is able to send send short messages back in time, creating a ‘lifetime diary’ which they can read in advance of the events. But Egan doesn’t just use this as a premise, he derives it
Tim
Greg Egan is one of the many authors whose work(s) I haven't explored yet. But as this anthology appeared in several lists the past few years, I decided to give it a go and only after having read a few reviews to be sure I wouldn't buy a pig in a poke. Kevin's review (see here) and advice ultimately convinced me to buy the book. For the French readers (pour les lecteurs/lectrices français[es]): Mathieu's review.

This anthology contains 18 stories (I won't go into detail), which appeared between t
Goodreads Librari...: Please, combine / add as edition, not a separate book 3 16 Jul 26, 2017 02:11AM

• Beyond the Rift
  • Chronopolis
  • Criptonomicón III: El código Aretusa
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
Greg Egan specialises in hard science fiction stories with mathematical and quantum ontology themes, including the nature of consciousness. Other themes include genetics, simulated reality, posthumanism, mind transfer, sexuality, artificial intelligence, and the superiority of rational naturalism over religion.

He is a Hugo Award winner (and has been shortlisted for the Hugos three other times), an

Collected Stories (3 books)
  • Luminous
  • Oceanic
“All we can ever know about are the portraits of each other inside our own skulls.” 7 likes
“I want to end my life like a human being: in Intensive Care, high on morphine, surrounded by cripplingly expensive doctors and brutal, relentless life-support machines. Then the corpse can go into orbit—preferably around the sun. I don't care how much it costs, just so long as I don't end up party of any fucking natural cycle: carbon, phosphorus, nitrogen. Gaia, I divorce thee. Go suck the nutrients out of someone else, you grasping bitch.” 4 likes