Start by marking “Lazy Lion” as Want to Read:
Lazy Lion

Lazy Lion

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Lazy Lion orders the animals to build him a house on the African plain.

The Weaver Birds build him a house of nest grasses and palm leaves, but Lazy Lion is too heavy to reach the door. The Ant Bears build him a house with many rooms and caverns, but it is so dark Lion can't see anything.

The animals do their best to please Lion, but he is very difficult to please. Will he e
Published May 3rd 1990 by Hachette Children's

To ask other readers questions about Lazy Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazy Lion

Hilary
A just so style story introducing some african animals. Lovely illustrations, this was a bedtime favourite of my children, I sure I could read this book with my eyes shut.
Catherine Wall
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great shared reading book. Beautiful illustrations and simple narrative with a moral to discuss further.

Would be good for introducing noun groups as there are heaps of adjectives and descriptive language. Also lots of activity by the animals so verbs and verb groups would also fit.

Writing type: narrative, recount, traditional tale, fable, animal story
Kay Lea
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lion demands animals to build him a house. It rains...he isn’t happy with any of their houses. This is why the lion has no house. Told like “How the leopard got his spots’
- Art 5* too
Jen
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The repetition and the ability to predict why each home wouldn't work for Lazy Lion made it a terrific read aloud with preK.
Sithara
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to get a book about African animals for my two year old neice- a simple story, with morals explained in a fun and engaging way. As soon as I saw LAZY LION by Mwenye Hadithi I knew I found my book!

The story is simple: The Lion, King of Animals, asks his subjects to find him a home. But he is very picky and lazy - this house is too big, that house is too small, this house is too wet...nothing pleases him.

When it rains, all the animals rush into their houses, leaving the LAZY LION wanderin
Celeste
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I admit, I feel bad for the Lion. I am not sure that laziness is really the issue here, although things would probably work out better if he built his own house. But I think the crocodile's assessment (The Lion is so hard to please) is unfair. The Lion's criticisms of the various houses are totally justified--a Lion can't live in an ant hill or a bird's nest or a log!

Mostly I fear that this little fable actually teaches that homelessness is the fault of the homeless person--that if they just wer
Heather
It's going to rain and the lion wants someone to build him a home because he's, well, lazy. Various animals do so but he can't use them because he's too big or it's too high or too wet or whatever.

My kids thought it was funny and also thought the lion should go build his own house and deserved to get wet in the rain.

A cute little story with fun illustrations.
Gail
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I do like African folktales.
Teri
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great exposure to lots of different African animals and a good story as well. Two thumbs up.
LeeAnn G
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Great Book to read to a perfect little God-Daughter on a cold, sunny day. It teaches to have manners and morals or else.
Lumi / Otso
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
not nearly as interesting as the hippo book.
Christy Willis
Perfect way to learn about nature and the wild life that live on the plains of Africa.
Miss Sarah
Jul 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lions
A lion wants every other animal in the area to build a home for him but he's never satisfied with the houses they build. What will happen when it rains? Length makes it preschool plus.
Matthew Winner
Caterina
Aug 29, 2014
Susan
Apr 21, 2014
Mwenye Hadithi, meaning "he who has the stories," is a name used by Bruce Hobson, who was inspired by Adrienne Kennaway's vibrant use of color to write stories for children. Mr. Hobson grew up on ten acres of bush garden with porcupines and gazelles; crocodiles in the rose bed; and a hippopotamus that once got stuck between the courtyard gates--all of which fostered his great love of animals and b ...more