Start by marking “The Collapsing Universe” as Want to Read:
The Collapsing Universe

The Collapsing Universe

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Was the mysterious 30-megaton blast that flattened a Siberian forest in 1908 actually caused by a small black hole? Does matter drawn into a black hole reappear out the 'other side' as anti-matter, a sort of mirror-image of the universe as we know it? Could back holes explain the 'Big Bang'? Does their existence raise the possibility that matter can move faster than the sp ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Collapsing Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collapsing Universe

Arunkumar Mahadevan Pillai
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's ever wondered about the night sky and its sparkly bits
When I started reading Asimov's book this week, written over 30 years ago, I figured I'd be the better-informed, having absorbed current scientific knowledge in over a decade of technical education and more so for being a geek in general.

Turns out I was wrong.

Asimov writes about cosmic phenomena with heavy emphasis on basic concepts, without ever going over the head of the layman, while imparting new knowledge in almost every page. I learned so many things about the Earth, planets, the solar sys
Steve Van Slyke
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
It's been three decades since I first read this book. I decided to read it again after having just read Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution by Neil deGrasse Tyson because it seemed that Asimov had told a similar story, but in the opposite order in terms of mass. That is, the latter books starts with the universe and works its way down to planets, and Asimov's starts with the smallest objects, working its way progressively up to the most massive and the universe as a whole.

Asimov
anne
Oct 23, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is blowing my mind.
Claudio Balbin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If the program of an Isaac Asimov's class was transcribed, it would be this book.
Jim
Aug 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it provides a nice and simple view of physics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics. Simple to read and pretty simple to understand. An easy read.
Bartow
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my top 10 all time books. It hit me at just the right time in my life.
Antonia Ivanova
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew my mind, even though I'm not on speaking terms with physics most of the time I understood everything and I am left a little speechless by some of the ideas explored here. I think when we got to the wormholes I was already gone. Loved the writing style. Would recommend.
Giovanna Andrade
I just wish we could have another Isaac Asimov in our time, to explain with such clarity and simplicity the advancetments of cosmology as he does in this book. Marvellous!
Jonny
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, _favourites_
I've always loved black holes and I've always wanted to read Asimov, but I never realized how well the two would go together.

It's extremely approachable, for the content concerned. He writes a lot like Sagan in that -even though astronomy requires a ton of math- he simplifies it and mostly states it in comparative terms like "1.4 times the mass of the Sun" rather than "2.7846 × 1030 kg".

The best part about this book, for me, wasn't even the black holes themselves -it was everything else leading
Blagoy Nikolov
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Прегледах “Гравитационната гибел на Вселената” с цел да си припомня някои факти относно Вселената, така че да ми е по-лесно за по-сложните четива на тази тематика, които по определени причини бях оставил на заден план.

Азимов, като един от най-известните фантасти, е оставил дълбока следа върху тази книга, насочена към учениците от горен курс или просто любителите астрономи. Като начало стилът е много увлекателен (Азимов все пак), описанията са пределно ясни и формулирани по изключително разбираем
Octavia Cade
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Interesting enough but it does drag in parts. This (subjectively) suffers in comparison, I think, simply because I recently read Davies' The Last Three Minutes, which covered much the same ground and was really enjoyable.

In general, I've read a handful of Asimov's science books now, and sometimes it does feel a bit repetitive. I understand that in popular science you've got to start from the basics to ground your audience, but I feel like I've read something like the first chapter several times
Mark Heishman
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school students
Recommended to Mark by: found it browsing county library shelves
I read this book in high school to learn about black holes. Much theory about astronomy has been advanced since this book was written probably without contradicting the very clear explanation of different stellar bodies in space this book gives. The progressive discussion Asimov uses in this book is very easy to follow and I went away from it having learned much that I was able to recount again to others. I do not personally know if scientists agree today that the universe is collapsing, there i ...more
Mike
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Physics book. This is basically a book explaining how the theory of black holes came to be, and the physical evidence in nature to back it up. As of the writing of this book there had been no black holes discovered, and I did a quick Google search, and my initial impression is that they still have not found any. There is always the possibility that they are out there, just not where they can be detected from earth. Written in layman's terms.
Enrico Ammirati
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un magnifico saggio per chi volesse avvicinarsi a come una stella nasce e muore e lascia memoria fisica di se'..e non e' una metafora
Guillermo
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still valid??
Radoslav
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome and scary in the same time. The scales, the predictions, the unknown - they frightened me. I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn more about our universe.
Julaine Hardie
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very first book I purchased, back in '78. I think I was 12? A science geek in the making...
Ivan
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting read
Miles
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about the universe from this book!
Abraham Revilla
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Física, agujeros negros, espacio, planetas, y ciencia al por mayor... "Ciencia"; nada más que eso.
Harold
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a great deal about astro physics from this book! Well written and easy to understand, it's a very interesting book!
Alex Morgan
  • Black Holes, Wormholes and Time Machines
  • The Origin Of The Universe
  • Cosmic Jackpot: Why Our Universe Is Just Right for Life
  • UNIX for Dummies
  • The Universe Story: From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era--A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos
  • Relativity Visualized: The Gold Nugget of Relativity Books
  • Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time
  • Morphic Resonance: The Nature of Formative Causation
  • A Man's Life: Dispatches from Dangerous Places
  • North with the Spring: A Naturalist's Record of a 17,000-Mile Journey with the North American Spring
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)
  • US Army Survival Manual
  • Comet
  • Volcano Cowboys: The Rocky Evolution of a Dangerous Science
  • Disturbing the Universe
  • Big Java

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...