Start by marking “Since I Don't Have You” as Want to Read:
Since I Don't Have You

Since I Don't Have You

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  391 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
They were friends who shared everything - until tragedy singled one out.

At the birth of their daughters best friends Rachel, Mariel and Jenny make a promise: to love and care for each other's girls exactly as they would their own.

Six years later and a tragedy has torn them apart. Within weeks, Rachel has packed up and gone. Settling on the beautiful, windswept Greek island
384 pages
Published (first published August 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Since I Don't Have You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Since I Don't Have You

Amy
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Keris
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Since I Don’t Have You is based on a sad premise. Rachel, Mariel and Jenny are best friends who share everything, and their children Emma, Catherine, and Daisy are best friends too. The women make a promise that they will look after each other’s daughters if anything should ever happen to one of them. It never crosses their minds that tragedy could strike elsewhere.

Then the unthinkable happens and Rachel’s life is changed forever. Unable to continue in her marriage to husband Oliver, she leaves
Anne
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. I cried in every chapter and can't wait to read it all again.
It really shows you how quickly things can change, and how different people are.
I saw parts of myself in many of the different characters, and when things like that happen it really makes you step back and take a look at yourself via the character.
Liesbeth
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very readable, but sad...
Warm, believable characters, non patronising.
Recognition for everyone who has lost a loved one.
Possibly a bit slow at times, but it draws you in.

Rachael
Kat
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Marlies
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mooi. Zwaar onderwerp, maar het boek leest toch lekker weg. Heb het gelezen met een beetje een dubbel gevoel over Rachels gedrag: kan enerzijds goed begrijpen dat ze op de vlucht slaat voor het verdriet en geluk van de mensen die ze achterlaat, maar kan anderzijds helemaal niet begrijpen dat ze niet in de buurt blijft van de mensen die haar liefhebben. Dat ze eigenlijk haar eigen verdriet zoveel erger acht dan dat van de andere mensen die van Emma hebben gehouden. Eigenlijk net zoiets als Rachel ...more
Leanne Keenoo
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked this book up from the second hand shelf in Tesco.
Not my usual genre but quite a readable story of 3 friends who each have a 6 year old daughter and are very close knit.
Then something awful happens which makes one of the mothers move away and it basically just tells the story of how their lives pan out.
After the initial incident nothing major happens so not an exciting read but more a look into how tragedy and grief affects marriages and friendships.
Marni
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story I had trouble putting down. A six-year-old daughter dies in an accident and the mother leaves the country. Lovely writing.
Kirstin O'Connor
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this and couldn’t stop reading - but felt frustrated by this character as thought that she was incredibly selfish and it was hard to get past this for me.
marion
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book

A great book with a great storyline. So sad you should keep your tissues handy. One of my two favourite books.
Sarah McGrath
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Whatsername
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sono rimasta senza fiato per tutto il libro e alla fine è arrivata questa frase che mi ha squarciato il petto e sono scoppiata a piangere, ho percepito tutto il dolore accumulato negli anni da Rachael...Emma mancava anche a me!
Ho camminato per le vie di Oia con Rachael, sempre accompagnati dall'ombra di Emma; ho sofferto la solitudine e la mancanza di un motivo per vivere che Rachael non trovava più, e sono risalita insieme a lei dal pozzo nel quale era caduta.
Ho sentito i profumi di Santorini
Sue
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2010
This is a very moving book. Narrated by Rachel, it tells of her deep and long-standing friendship with the impulsive Jenny and the diplomatic Mariel. They each have one daughter, born within months of each other, and by the age of six are becoming as close friends as their mothers are.

Tragedy is foreshadowed in the opening section of the book when Rachel, Mariel and Jenny promise to look after each other's daughters should anything happen to one of them. Sure enough, the unthinkable happens...
Kimby Bogora
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Real book. Life is always hard but much worse in some ways when you loose someone very close. Regardless of age, color or creed. Sometimes people cannot understand the reasoning behind someone's pain or they don't know how to deal with it. Getting over something devastating is not what happens. It's a healing process but people who have never had real pain in their lives just don't know WHY you just don't get over those feelings.

Great story though as to the ties that bind our lives and the simpl
Susan Fox
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh dear ....... Probably the most depressing book I have ever read. I did feel sorry for the main character but, in other respects, she came across as very self-centred. After the death of her daughter, she dropped everything and went to live in Santorini, uncaring for her husband or mother or friends who were also dealing with he death of Emma. The descriptions of Santorini are very drawn out too, as is the story of the death of her aunt during an earthquake ..... which didn't end up being such ...more
Aileen
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is narrated by Rachel who is the main character.
This books starts with a prologue in 1988 where all three women promise
to look after each other’s girls if Disaster strikes.
Chapter 1 then starts in 1994 where we learn Rachel, Jen and Mariel are
best friends Rachel is married to Oliver and they have a daughter Emma
(6) then in part 2 disaster strikes and Rachel leaves and goes to
Greece she doesn’t want contact with anyone or anyone to know her
whereabouts. She hires a private investiga
Laura Crosse
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This was pretty sad in places. The beginning is heart breaking and you really feel all the emotions along with Rachel. Some parts are interesting enough and I did keep reading but to be honest looking back I've already forgotten a lot of what went on because really most of the book is just filling with nothing really substantial going on.

Its not my type of book I suppose, I just found it ultimately very depressing. There is no happy ending as such for a parent who loses their child, especially i
Teresa Vaughan
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not sure why I put myself through the pain of reading the first few chapters, found it absolutely heart-wrenching. Did I really recover enough to "enjoy" the rest of the book? The pain was palpable for the mother, and so difficult to share. As the book moved on, Im not sure that the calm she finds in Santorini is enough (selfishly) for me.
Proud2bealady
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Somehow this book makes me feel so emotional. It's about friendship and motherhood and family.. Touching without being too sappy. It makes you want to evaluate your relationship with your friends and family...and eventually you're encouraged to try and fix it.
Mew
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
A little too light for me - bordering on chick-lit... I wanted to know more about Rachel and how she dealt with life immediately after she left London. Instead it jumped in time in a way that I felt was shying away form the darkness of what she was going through.
Louise
Jan 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Teresa
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this was going to be run of the mill chick lit but was surprised to be really moved by the writing. Still not my ideal sort of book but definitely going to look out for more by this author.
Elaine
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Elaine by: book club I belong too
It took me about half way throught the book to get into the story, and what a story it was, so sad in places and the ending was different to how I imagined it to end. I couldnt put it down by the end, its an easy read and worth picking up.
Wendy
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book it was an easy read. The characters were likeable though some did seem a little two dimensional because they weren't really developed fully. However this didn't really detract from the storyline that was entertaining though a little sad.
Sameera
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 actually. I found this book engaging yet sad. There were times, i didn't want to read further because of the sadness in it. Was totally unprepared for it. Lacks connectivity in between. Could have been better.
Alyssa
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The plot is slow and for me it has too many unimportant parts in the story. However, I cried reading it. I could relate to it so much and there's this one place that I really want to visit. I wish I could just hop on an airplane and leave for that place just like what Rachel did ...
Sharon
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-reads
Not a book I will read again. The story just didnt go anywhere fast and I found myself wishing for the end to hurry up so I didnt have to mark it as an unfished book! It was a bittersweet story though could have been much more.
Alison Gray
Reallt enjoyed this book, the journey Rachel travelled after the death of her daughter was very touching. It also had a lot of fact involved when it spoke of Santorini and all that had happened there. Would recommend.
Louise
Nov 10, 2007 rated it liked it
If I could have given it a 3 and a half, I would have. Beautifully written in parts and describes what can only be imagined as the worst feelings possible someone would have to endure in a heart renching way. Parts a little unbeleivable, but hey, who knows what path love follows?
  • Summer Evenings at the Seafront Hotel
  • The Callahan Brothers: Blue Bayou, River Road, Magnolia Moon
  • Rumours
  • The Weeping and the Laughter
  • The Lost Women of Lost Lake (Jane Lawless, #19)
  • Seeking Sara Summers
  • The Vintage Summer Wedding
  • A Spanish Lover
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • The Guestbook
  • A French Affair
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • Nightingales Under the Mistletoe (Nightingales #7)
  • The Sister Diaries
  • The Whispers of Nemesis (The Greek Detective, #5)
  • Love At Last
  • Dinner at Rose's
  • At a Time Like This
'If 2018 brings a better book than OUR HOUSE I will eat my hat' No. 1 bestselling author Clare Mackintosh

Louise Candlish studied English at University College London and worked as an editor and copywriter before writing fiction. OUR HOUSE is published in the US by Berkley in August 2018 and is out now in the UK, published by Simon & Schuster.

Louise is the bestselling author of eleven previous