Start by marking “Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters” as Want to Read:
Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters

Two Gardeners: A Friendship in Letters

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A legendary editor at The New Yorker during its first thirty-four years, Katharine S. White was also a great garden enthusiast. In March 1958 she began publishing her popular column, "Onward and Upward in the Garden." Her first column elicited loads of fan mail, but one letter in particular caught her attention. From Elizabeth Lawrence, a noted southern garden writer, it w ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by Beacon Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Two Gardeners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Gardeners

Melissa

A book arrived yesterday that made me giddy. Scott saw me squealing over it and wanted to know what all the excitement was about. I tried to think how best to explain it to him.

“Okay, imagine that John Lennon and Elvis Presley were pen-pals. Say they had a lively correspondence, letters flying back and forth for years and years. Now imagine that this book is a collection of those letters.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Who are they really?”

I sighed happily. “Katharine White and Elizabeth Lawrence.”

Sco
Liz
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me want to know more about Katharine S. White and Elizabeth Lawrence - their lives, their other writings, and their gardens. I love to read about gardens and gardeners. The stories behind the plants are one of the best parts of gardening!

Katharine S. White (wife of E.B. White – called “Andy”) was an editor at The New
Yorker, where she also wrote a garden column called “Onward and Upward in the
Garden.” One of her readers was Elizabeth Lawrence, a gardener herself, and write
Judy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: flower gardeners, people who like to read about friendships, memoir readers
Recommended to Judy by: Anne Reach
This book invites gardeners and memoir-lovers alike to stretch out on a hammock and read away. Elizabeth Lawrence, a garden writer for the Charlotte (NC) Observer, dropped a note in the mail to Katharine White, the author of a garden column in the New Yorker. When Katharine responded cordially to Elizabeth, a correspondence and friendship blossomed and grew. The content of the letters evidences the respect and reliance on each other's advice and opinions whether it be about their gardens, writin ...more
Rift Vegan
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The friendship that grew between these two women via flowers and letter writing is so beautiful and amazing to me. Even when a whole year passed between letters, the connection was still tangible. Something to aspire to, and also something that gives me hope for humanity.
Claire
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hit a sweet spot for me. I loved both reading about gardening and seeing the friendship develop via letter between these two writers.
Jim
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book of letters between two fascinating and intelligent women is a book I discovered while reading Onward and Upward In the Garden , a series of gardening reviews by Katharine White published in the New Yorker magazine starting in the late 1950's. As a result of the first article in the series, she began a correspondnace with garden writer Elizabeth Lawrence of North Carolina. Katharine White was the wife of EB White and a famed editor in her own right at the New Yorker for most of her life ...more
Darlene
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth first wrote to Katharine in 1958 when they were 50+ and 60+ years old. That started a 20-year letter correspondence between two busy writers (Katharine an editor for "The New Yorker" with a farm in Maine, Elizabeth a North Carolina gardening columnist and author) with a passion for tending blooming things. They exchanged information on their gardens in all seasons, families, health issues, research sources and writing-in-progress. Mostly, they shared a genuine respect and appreciation ...more
Marian H.
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. A real treasure! I soon felt like Katharine and Elizabeth were dear friends and was so sad when the book ended, and I had no new letters to look forward to. Thank you Emily for giving us this book.
Martha
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was a beautiful portrayal of friendship. Real letters and real people. I loved learning about plants as well. I wasn't sure about the book as I started, but found it one I didn't want to put down. I felt like I found two friends.
Cheri Rice
Interesting book of letters between two women with gardens .
Carrie
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it
sweet back and forth letters between two gardeners.
Helen
Special treat for gardeners, literature lovers, and anyone who delights in reading about women's friendships. (From the back cover)
Nancy Simons
Jan 07, 2015
Lauren
Nov 29, 2015
Carlotta
rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2015
  • From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden
  • Old Herbaceous: A Novel of the Garden
  • Paths of Desire: The Passions of a Suburban Gardener
  • Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards
  • Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden
  • Queen Elizabeth in the Garden: A Story of Love, Rivalry, and Spectacular Gardens
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden