Start by marking “Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)

Dirty Work

(Stone Barrington #9)

Hired to prove infidelity in an heiress's marriage, Stone Barrington goes undercover. But the work turns dirty-and catastrophic-when the errant husband is found dead and the other woman disappears without a trace. Now, Stone must clear his own good name and find a killer hiding among the glitterati of New York's high society. Enter Carpenter-the beautiful British intellige ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Work, please sign up.
Montessahall Montessahall For funny, witty mystery I highly recommend the Andy Charpenter series by David Rosenfeldt. I also recommend reading them in order. This series has…moreFor funny, witty mystery I highly recommend the Andy Charpenter series by David Rosenfeldt. I also recommend reading them in order. This series has several recurring characters that the author has skillfully developed. The humor is laugh out loud variety. (less)

Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great series! gritty in nature which was full of underhanded supporting characters that add their own twist to this storyline with additional intense action..well written (paperback!)
Diane
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great series! gritty in nature which was full of underhanded supporting characters that add their own twist and dirt to this storyline with some additional intense action..well written (paperback!)
Tim
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
One of my least favorite in this series. This chase for a principled killer, if you will, is full of bungling on behalf of innocents and chasers to the point of annoyance. 3 of 10 stars
Terence M
2.5 stars out 0f 5.0 - Audiobook - 6 hours 42 minutes - 6 discs

A quick overnight read that reintroduces Carpenter, the beautiful operative from MI5 or 6, or whatever Military Intelligence is called now. Lots of bloodshed was caused by the evil spy, La Biche, who is that queen of clichés. a "master of disguise". She fools Barrington, his good mate Lieutenant Dino, Carpenter, et many al.

Some GR reviewers thought this book was funny - a sad comment on their senses of humour I think because I don't
Peg
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why I keep reading the Stone Barrington books. He ends up in bed with practically every woman he meets within twenty-four hours. It's kind of annoying and really not much to these stories. But I keep reading them; maybe it's for Dino. I much prefer him to Stone.
Jerry B
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Maybe best Barrington yet - great action suspense & thrills!

We were growing a bit tired of Woods' Stone Barrington series, feeling that the last few were kind of lackluster -- more concerned about Stone's love life and lifestyle than delivering the suspenseful tales we have seen in numerous earlier outings and in Woods' new Holly Barker series. To our delight, "Dirty Work" brings Stone back in a great yarn -- one with such suspenseful action throughout we could hardly turn the pages fast en
David Erickson
Handling the less than savory cases for the law firm of Woodman and Weld, Stone Barrington is assigned to look into the philandering of a rich woman’s husband, but the photographer Stone hires literally drops in on the subject of the surveillance, and it looks like the fall killed him. But a simple peep and click turns into a search for an international killer and an intimate assignation with an alluring British spy.

This is Stuart Woods doing what Stuart Woods does – writing entertaining stories
Geri
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Geri by: ggnorman@aol.com
What a life Stone Barrington lives.
The people that are his right hands
certainly keep everything running smoothly.
BookCrazy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was looking for a new author to read and based on this book, I will continue to look. The story was not new and the characters were poorly developed.

The story line lurched from one murder to another with a few bouts of sex in between. Everything happened too quickly and easily (changing appearances, moves to safe houses, trip to St Thomas). There was little drama or tension. It was hard to believe that the villain made so many mistakes after all of her prior successes. Even the hero's conscie
Jayme VA
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, audiobooks
Two stars, I think, mainly because I listened to this on audio book. I could not stand the narrator- his New York accent, of which he had to voice more than one character, was horrible. I think I got distracted by the story trying to remember whose voice was whose.

I do think I like Stone Barrington and would enjoy more of Woods' books. The story was completely preposterous as you can expect with many noir, international mystery books. It was a nice short listen over all.
Ed M
May 28, 2016 added it
good
Bill
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective
Amberly Reilly
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-mini, ibook-version
Barrington, affectionately known as Stone, is a former NYPD police officer-turned-lawyer at a prestigious firm. He is known as being “of counsel” at the firm. This term is used so that Stone’s name will never be directly associated with his firm, since they have him do their dirty work - the kind that wouldn’t reflect well upon their very rich and politically connected clients.
This time Stone has gotten into something downright terrifying. He’s been casually dating a British spook who is now
Mike Nesemann
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Some good banter but characters and plot too unbelievable for my taste. Give him credit for a nicely convoluted story but really, two intelligence agents are staking out an apartment and one is killed and the other severely injured by an assailant (for whom they are waiting) armed with an ice pick? If you enjoy not quite superhuman characters and wild plot rides, this could be fun. Not my cup of tea.
George
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
One can read the plot from the description. Fast paced with interesting characters -- unbelievable in that the NYPD let a terrorist wander around NYC without some chaperone. The book sets the stage for Stone's relationship with Carpenter. in subsequent stories.. Stone manages to bed nearly every female in thees books; I was disappointed that Marie Therise Dubois didn't end up there. Maybe Stone has some scruples, after all. Page turner if you don't worry too much about truth and just enjoy it.
JayeL
Aug 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: audio, borrowed, lapl, series, 2018
I got into this series by reading Barely Legal, the first of the Herbie Fisher series. This is the book where Herbie first appears. He is young and stupid and gives Stone a really hard time by inadvertently introducing him to an international assassin. Carpenter appears again as well. While this book has spy stuff in it again, it must more straightforward than The Short Forever.
William Wygle
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Stuart Woods fan and enjoy his Stone Barrington novels. Dirty Work is no different. I found his latest entry into Mr. Barrington's latest escapade. I never spoil plot details, but I will say that this book give us more of Dino Bachetti, best friend of Stone. One of the better Stone Barrington novels.
Paula
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
This book starts off starts off with crazy action that continues throughout the book. The usual shenanigans with Stone and his pal Dino land the dual in and out of trouble with women, guns, and money until the last page. A page-turner for sure. Enjoyed it very much.
Cybercrone
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, there weren't quite as many women floating around in this one, so that was some improvement. And the story was good, as usual. But I continue to wonder how Dino gets any 'real' work done when he's always flying off to back up Stone. Oh well, makes for a good story.
Richard
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced and entertaining. One of the best books in the series so far. Deserves 4.5 stars. Most of the book takes place in Manhattan and the action centers on British intelligence and a cold-blooded assassin.
Lynn Laryn
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

I definitely enjoy the Stone Barrington novels. Stuart Woods has him portrayed as very human, with all the emotions we go through. It makes Stone very likable. The stories are excellent. I also enjoy how Stone and his best friend Dino interact.
Marsha Dail
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of any of his books that I've read. VERY interesting and funny plot-a real page turner. I will read more of his books.
Tony
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a bad read.
Tara
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
These books are no literary feats ... but they're good fun anyway! Another good installment in this series. I am looking forward to continuing on!
Caryl Moulder
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
New characters come to play and Stone is up to his armpits once again
Melissa
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
These plots really are ridiculous. At least I can turn my brain off when I’m reading.
Denice Hogan
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book kept me interested throughout and I enjoyed the different twists and turns.
Donna Mcnab
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I was not so crazy about this book due to all the spies and killings. However, it was still an interesting read.
Brian O'Leary
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
always a pleasure to read a new stone barrington book, simple easy read
Tom
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Each Stone Barrington is getting better. This one is a good thriller and doesn't have the silly bits the way the early ones do.
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Bad Twin
  • After All These Years
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Lancelot
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • The Laws of Manu
  • Dark Horse (Elena Estes, #1)
  • The Taoist I Ching
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Blindfold Game (Coast Guard #1)
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • The Ice Maiden (Britt Montero, #8)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10; Holly Barker, #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)