Start by marking “Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)

Dirty Work

(Stone Barrington #9)

Hired to prove infidelity in an heiress's marriage, Stone Barrington goes undercover. But the work turns dirty-and catastrophic-when the errant husband is found dead and the other woman disappears without a trace. Now, Stone must clear his own good name and find a killer hiding among the glitterati of New York's high society. Enter Carpenter-the beautiful British intellige ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Work, please sign up.
Montessahall Montessahall For funny, witty mystery I highly recommend the Andy Charpenter series by David Rosenfeldt. I also recommend reading them in order. This series has se…moreFor funny, witty mystery I highly recommend the Andy Charpenter series by David Rosenfeldt. I also recommend reading them in order. This series has several recurring characters that the author has skillfully developed. The humor is laugh out loud variety. (less)

Start your review of Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great series! gritty in nature which was full of underhanded supporting characters that add their own twist to this storyline with additional intense action..well written (paperback!)
Tim
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
One of my least favorite in this series. This chase for a principled killer, if you will, is full of bungling on behalf of innocents and chasers to the point of annoyance. 3 of 10 stars
Jack Heath
5 Stars. Again Stone Barrington does some lawyering, but spends a great deal more time on entertaining beautiful women, policing with his friend Lieutenant Bacchetti, and enjoying the high life at Elaine's. These addictive episodes could be titled, "In the life of Stone." Bill Eggers, the senior partner at Woodman and Weld always frets about losing any of the firms' rich clients; when Elena Marks worries about her husband's fidelity, Bill asks Stone to get proof. It's dirty work so he hires the ...more
Terence M (Spring is in My Step!)
2.5 stars out 0f 5.0 - Audiobook - 6 hours 42 minutes - 6 discs

A quick overnight read that reintroduces Carpenter, the beautiful operative from MI5 or 6, or whatever Military Intelligence is called now. Lots of bloodshed was caused by the evil spy, La Biche, who is that queen of clichés. a "master of disguise". She fools Barrington, his good mate Lieutenant Dino, Carpenter, et many al.

Some GR reviewers thought this book was funny - a sad comment on their senses of humour I think because I don't
Peg
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why I keep reading the Stone Barrington books. He ends up in bed with practically every woman he meets within twenty-four hours. It's kind of annoying and really not much to these stories. But I keep reading them; maybe it's for Dino. I much prefer him to Stone.
Tgordon
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m blowing through this series at break neck rate. This is a fun series that does have nearly everything. Romance sex and murder. Stone is reunited with his female agent from London but she’s in New York chasing a women who is also chasing her! Stone in the middle as always!
Jerry B
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Maybe best Barrington yet - great action suspense & thrills!

We were growing a bit tired of Woods' Stone Barrington series, feeling that the last few were kind of lackluster -- more concerned about Stone's love life and lifestyle than delivering the suspenseful tales we have seen in numerous earlier outings and in Woods' new Holly Barker series. To our delight, "Dirty Work" brings Stone back in a great yarn -- one with such suspenseful action throughout we could hardly turn the pages fast enough
Michael Adamchuk
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Stone Barrington story. It was full of suspense and well-drawn characters. Barrington even did some moralizing in the story. Yes, he had his share of bed time, some close calls with Dino Bacchetti and there were many murders. The basic plot involves a professional assassin, Marie-Terese du Bois, who is after the members of a British Intelligence operation that had her parents killed. One of those participants was Carpenter, with whom Barrington is currently sleeping. Marie- ...more
Dr T
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Our man Stone is at it again. It is quite amazing how he gets himself into these situations involving high-level players, high secrets, murder, etc, from more or less casual acquaintanceships with beautiful and sophisticated women. This book is a case-in-point. He is asked to do a simple catch-the-errant-husband investigation (photos through a skylight), but in the first few pages it turns into high intrigue involving the British Secret Service, the FBI, and, of course, the NYPD. Who would have ...more
Kate
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me to pass along to someone else (uncle bud!) But I started reading it and quite enjoyed it. Action, adventure detective style, fun premise of not a little too murderous. I would read other books by this author and he has many to choose from. I will drop this one off to uncle bud today😃
David Erickson
Handling the less than savory cases for the law firm of Woodman and Weld, Stone Barrington is assigned to look into the philandering of a rich woman’s husband, but the photographer Stone hires literally drops in on the subject of the surveillance, and it looks like the fall killed him. But a simple peep and click turns into a search for an international killer and an intimate assignation with an alluring British spy.

This is Stuart Woods doing what Stuart Woods does – writing entertaining stories
Geri
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Geri by: ggnorman@aol.com
What a life Stone Barrington lives.
The people that are his right hands
certainly keep everything running smoothly.
BookCrazy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was looking for a new author to read and based on this book, I will continue to look. The story was not new and the characters were poorly developed.

The story line lurched from one murder to another with a few bouts of sex in between. Everything happened too quickly and easily (changing appearances, moves to safe houses, trip to St Thomas). There was little drama or tension. It was hard to believe that the villain made so many mistakes after all of her prior successes. Even the hero's conscie
Jayme VA
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Two stars, I think, mainly because I listened to this on audio book. I could not stand the narrator- his New York accent, of which he had to voice more than one character, was horrible. I think I got distracted by the story trying to remember whose voice was whose.

I do think I like Stone Barrington and would enjoy more of Woods' books. The story was completely preposterous as you can expect with many noir, international mystery books. It was a nice short listen over all.
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stone Barrington is the ex-NYPD detective that is now a successful lawyer. He works out of a nice home willed to him by his aunt. He has the best clothes, assignments, and women. He always gets caught up in a mystery and this book is no different. The author continues to entertain with it.
Jennifer Robb
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: K. Cheshire
This was in a box of books a local friend gave to me to read and then pass on to others. I've not read any other novels in this series--so it was a bit confusing since I would assume readers of the series know what Elaine's is while I did not.

The title "Dirty Work" in part refers to the fact that Stone Barrington does work for another law firm when they don't want to do it or don't want to get their hands dirty doing it. Dirty could also refer to all the killing that goes on in this novel (both
Steve
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 9th book in Woods’ Stone Barrington series. And I will say at the outset, one of the better ones I have read (or listened to as these books make good choices for audio books). Stone is hired to prove that the husband of an heiress is guilty of infidelity. He in turn hires the nephew of one of his associates, Herbie Fisher, to obtain evidence, but all goes haywire when Herbie falls through the skylight onto an already dead husband, and his paramour has disappeared without a trace. Sto ...more
Maria Logan-Montgomery
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I listen to audio books when traveling. We are working our way through the Stone Barrington Series by Stuart Woods. So far this year we’ve listened to Dirty Work, Naked Greed, L.A. Dead, Scandalous Behavior, and Dishonorable Intentions. We’ve not listened to them in order, as we’ve previously read some of the books. Now we’re filling in the gaps of the series.

They are all great stories of fighting crime, and the good guys almost always win. The only problem I have with them is tha
Fianna Whitman
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story was great. I love the Stone Barrington novels. I also loved that the assassin was female. The only thing I didn't like was that I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator was absolutely horrible. He made all the women sound like they were 100 years old and all the men were either Italian NYC cops or just sounded ridiculous. Even what he termed as a "Spanish"accent was actually Italian. Worst narrator ever. But the story is good and well written. I suggest reading a paper copy.
April
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Way better than the last Stone Barrington book I read (D.C. Dead — rated 1/5 stars). Then again this is only the 9th book in the series (versus the 30-somethingth book), so Woods isn’t burnt out yet. I loved Marie-Therese and how somehow, I was cheering for her even though she was a “bad guy.” She was SO badass and also never slept with Stone so I give her an A+ rating for that since basically every other woman in the series falls at Stone’s feet begging to have sex with him. She did not. Very a ...more
Diana Suddreth
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Whenever I need a quick read to keep on track for my Goodreads goals, I can count on Stuart Woods to deliver a few hours of fun with Stone Barrington. In this one Stone has a little help bungling into an assassin who manages to elude him while dropping people all over NYC. Carpenter, a character in one of the other books, comes to town for a little work and a little fun, which provides Stone the always necessary opportunity to spend some time in bed. I don't expect much from the Stone Barrington ...more
Amberly Reilly
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ibook-version, i-mini
Barrington, affectionately known as Stone, is a former NYPD police officer-turned-lawyer at a prestigious firm. He is known as being “of counsel” at the firm. This term is used so that Stone’s name will never be directly associated with his firm, since they have him do their dirty work - the kind that wouldn’t reflect well upon their very rich and politically connected clients.
This time Stone has gotten into something downright terrifying. He’s been casually dating a British spook who is now
JayeL
Aug 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: audio, series, borrowed, lapl, 2018
I got into this series by reading Barely Legal, the first of the Herbie Fisher series. This is the book where Herbie first appears. He is young and stupid and gives Stone a really hard time by inadvertently introducing him to an international assassin. Carpenter appears again as well. While this book has spy stuff in it again, it must more straightforward than The Short Forever. ...more
George
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
One can read the plot from the description. Fast paced with interesting characters -- unbelievable in that the NYPD let a terrorist wander around NYC without some chaperone. The book sets the stage for Stone's relationship with Carpenter. in subsequent stories.. Stone manages to bed nearly every female in thees books; I was disappointed that Marie Therise Dubois didn't end up there. Maybe Stone has some scruples, after all. Page turner if you don't worry too much about truth and just enjoy it.
Mike Nesemann
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Some good banter but characters and plot too unbelievable for my taste. Give him credit for a nicely convoluted story but really, two intelligence agents are staking out an apartment and one is killed and the other severely injured by an assailant (for whom they are waiting) armed with an ice pick? If you enjoy not quite superhuman characters and wild plot rides, this could be fun. Not my cup of tea.
Michael
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, crime
Another great Stone Barrington story! Stone gets mixed up with a female assassin who is out to kill several people in NY. As if that's not enough Stone is linked to one of the people on the hit list. Quite a few dead bodies in the story. The female assassin is a master of disguise which makes things all the more interesting. Some interesting opinions/feelings come out of Stone in this story. Stone's police buddy, Dino, is along for most of the ride in this story.
Michelle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Charles
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was another quick and entertaining Stone Barrington book from Stuart Woods. Stone's divorce investigation trying to prove the husband's infidelity suddenly turns into murder. As Stone continues to investigate, he finds the case is not based on jealousy, but revenge for murders committed long ago. It becomes an international case, as he tries to find an assassin trying to get justice for her family. The book has plenty of action! I enjoyed it.
Steve
Oct 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was my first exposure to Stone Barrington, and it was completely disappointing. I realize that books of this genre frequently drift into implausible situations and coincidences, but this one plunged headlong into the preposterous. Had I not been listening to the audiobook, and been a captive audience for 9 hours, I would never have chosen to finish this. There must be better Stone Barrington books out there.
William Wygle
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Stuart Woods fan and enjoy his Stone Barrington novels. Dirty Work is no different. I found his latest entry into Mr. Barrington's latest escapade. I never spoil plot details, but I will say that this book give us more of Dino Bachetti, best friend of Stone. One of the better Stone Barrington novels.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Three Women Disappear
  • Murder Thy Neighbor
  • Breaking News (The Godmothers #5)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Justice Denied (J.P. Beaumont, #18)
  • Capitol Crimes
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Profiles in Corruption: Abuse of Power by America's Progressive Elite
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (The Worst Detective Ever #9)
  • It's Steele Christmas (A Lacy Steele Mystery Book 12)
  • Prolonged Exposure (Bill Gastner Mystery, #6)
  • The Last High
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • It Came From the Sky
  • Be Anxious for Nothing: The Art of Casting Your Cares and Resting in God
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10; Holly Barker, #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

News & Interviews