Start by marking “Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)” as Want to Read:
Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)

Cold Paradise

(Stone Barrington #7)

Palm Beach is the most glamorous scene-of-the-crime yet for cop-turned-investigator Stone Barrington, who becomes reacquainted with a case he thought was buried years ago and must settle romantic entanglements that haunt him still
Published April 1st 2002 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Paradise

Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok series! An enjoyable and entertaining storyline. I just could not get into the case and plot twists (paperback!)
2.5 stars!
Alan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Goombahs, cops, feds, crooks, killers, cons and nutters. A cadre of lawyers. Let’s not forget Stone’s former and present lovers from down the years and all over the map who contrived to be or were coincidentally present for this disjointed little tale of disgruntled lovers, widows and brides. Mix in a little mayhem, revenge and greed; add booze and caviar. Far too silly for words.
Kay
Jan 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one!
Shelves: mystery
What is wrong with me??? I keep buying these books [no I'm not even smart enough to borrow them or check them out from the library!]. After this book,I was ready to give them up but I do need something to clear my mind every once in awhile. I keep thinking one of these books will show me why women keep throwing themselves in Stone's bed! I'm still reading them and I've never discovered why all these women find Stone charming, but they are either gotten better or my reading tastes have declined!! ...more
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oct 2018 One new thought- a dated reference to" at the airport, he parked at the curb and ran inside, and the hell with tickets." page 155. That was pre-9-11.
May 2017 I like my June 2015 comments - still valid!!!!
re-read 6-1-2015 I actually liked the bad guys - he wrote them with remarkable chutzpah!
re-read 3-13-2015
The red herring wasn't a red herring after all.
11-1-2013very high society living in palm beach.
the ending left me dangling - I'm assuming i need to read the next sequential book.
Lisa Silverman
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I found it to be a perfectly easy poolside read which is just what you want for the start of the summer. But, I must admit, the Stone Barrington books are getting predictable. Stone gets called to a case, Dino has to come help, they enjoy luxury and women and then there is a major shoot out where Dino saves Stone. It's easy summer reading but don't expect anything shocking or new from this one.
Ron
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Another good one by Stuart Woods. His Stone Barrington books are adictive. I've read several and will read more. Good reads, all of them, so far.
Teri Pre
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
Not even on part 3 and he's already slept with 1 woman and is planning on 2 more. I'm done.
John Olson
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stone and Dino fight to end a mystery of old. Insurance fraud specialists back at it conning millionaire and billionaire gentlemen. Stone has all the ladies once again. Stuart Woods seems to enjoy writing about Stone and his sexual exploits. Dino comes to save stone’s hiny.
Papalodge
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was a fun read from beginning to the last sentence. (When a man answers)
I cracked up at page 20. -- Stone, a lawyer and the main character, is being given a tour driving along the beach Palm Beach, FL (That's Mar a Lago over there - the home of Marjorie Meriwether Post, now owned by the awful Donald Trump. He's turned it into a club.) Why is it funny? Well, because the book copyright is 2001. Dino is a good character - Stone's philosophical ex-partner NYPD Lt. There is no end to Dino'
Ed
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, action, thriller
#7 in the Stone Barrington series (#14 in the Barrington universe - encompassing Will Lee, Holly Barker, and Ed Eagle). My favorite frothy soap opera.

Ex-NYPD lawyer Stone Barrington series - In the middle of a New York City blizzard, Thad Shames, a wealthy computer tycoon, offers Stone a small fortune and the opportunity to escape the arctic cold if he will fly to glitzy Palm Beach, Fla., and find a femme fatale Shames knows only as Liz. With the help of Callie Hodges, Shames's sensual young Gir
Carol Bro
Dec 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: ???
First Stuart Woods book I've read. Maybe I should have started with something else. This was one of the "Stone Barrington" series and I found the characters unbelievably shallow and the plot contrived. His dealings with the police were unrealistic given he was an ex-cop/lawyer from New York and unknown to the Palm Beach, Florida police detective with whom he was dealing. But, in fairness to Mr. Woods, he is a best-selling novelist many times over and I remain ... unpublished, so more power to hi ...more
Bonnie Murray
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sorry Stuart but based on this book, I read 200 pages, I'll not be reading anymore of your books. 'Stone' has been to bed with all three drop dead gorgeous women, all 3 want to go back to his bed, etc etc etc. He dictates an iron clad contract to his secretary over the phone that saves one of these women millions etc etc etc. Completely a pile of garbage and I have better things to do with my time.
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stone Barrington is an ex-cop from NYPD turned lawyer. In this book he continues to exhibit his naivity regarding the females he encounters. He starts falling for Callie, who works for a rich celebrity. He current wife, who is mentally deranged, and his ex-girlfriend, a recent widow, and a previous client, with whom he had an affair, are all entertwined in the cases he is currently working on. Good thing he has Dino, his ex-cop partner, to turn to for assistance when he needs it most!
Dorothy Caimano
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
I must be the wrong audience for Stone Barrington. He is so irresistible to women and cookie cutter perfect, that he is boringly unappealing to me. But I hung in there through 150 pages of "Why am I still reading this book?" So, I guess I will finish it. But why isn't anyone disclosing that they have herpes before jumping into bed? One in four people supposedly have it, and it would be the polite thing to do, mentioning it, that is. Maybe nymphomaniacs don't bother with such trivialities.
Rusty
Aug 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: detective
this is a harlequin romance for dudes. It's just an excuse to put the protagonist in an expensive setting, courtesy of a software billionaire who has some silly job for him that involves putting him up in his Palm Beach estate, letting him have use of the facilities, the expensive cars, and of course, the women, all of whom are beautiful and throwing themselves at him. There's no attempt to give the guy any depth, any inner monologue or even a personality. Yuck.
Gretchen Stone
I like Stuart Woods. Sometimes more than others. This time it was more. The fun part was trying to guess who to trust. Everyone seemed a little suspect. A fairly fast read. I enjoyed the twists and turns.
Marianne
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly enjoying this highly entertraining series and look forward to all the books as well as other series by Stuart Woods.
Ginny
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2005, borrowed
Another installment in the complicated personal life of Stone Barrington. Amazing he ever gets any work done to earn a living. Thank goodness for that trust fund.
Andrea
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Cold Paradise Stone Barrington #7 At the time of this review almost 40 Stone Barrington stories have been published. I have not read in order as I read them when I find them in libraries and thrift shops. Happy to finally find this volume as Stuart Woods often brings stories forward into future volumes. The Allison and Paul Manning story is briefly referenced in future volumes. Cold Paradise is the first telling of their story; in true story-teller tradition the story is not yet complete at the ...more
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 7th novel by Stuart Woods featuring Stone Barrington. Barrington, ex-cop turned lawyer, is called to warm and sunny Palm Beach, Florida to help a wealthy eccentric, Thad Shames, find Liz, a woman he met in passing but who he feels may be the love of his life. It turns out that the woman is a former client of Barrington's, Allison Manning, who he thought was dead, having been convicted of the murder of her husband, Paul, on the island of St. Mark's. Allison/Liz also hires Barrington t ...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; SEPT 5, 2018
Narrator: Tony Roberts

Every woman, it seems, either want to fuck Stone or kill him. Or both. If you manage to get past this (no problem if you're a man), this series is entertaining, mindless fun.

In this 7th installment, Stone accepts a job which takes him to Palm Beach, Florida, where he has to locate a woman his latest client is smitten with. Not an easy task since the client, Thad, a tech entrepreneur, only knows the woman's first name. That's all he knows.

It'
James
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I said I wasn't going to continue the Stone Barrington series, but I found myself in a situation where this was all I had loaded on my phone, so I did one more.

I called this series a soap opera and I stand by that characterization. Just like the endless drama on daytime soaps, this has characters that should be history, but keep popping up. Stone's "love life" is soapy (sappy?) as well. In this one we continue the "I knew I never should have married that crazy bitch" storyline, and the way is op
Robert
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bad book. Only finished it because I was listening to it on a road trip. The plot was outrageous. The characters just happen to have all the skills required. The women are portrayed in a deplorable way. Our main “hero” apparently has only positive qualities and is a gift to every woman he has come in contact with. Also has slept will all of them and they still all desperately want to be with him. To a point of serious mental health issues for some of them. Basically this book was like ...more
George
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Double back to book 7 after completing all 40+, the story is still a fun read. At Palm Beach, Stone works the rich and famous once again as some familiar characters reappear. Notably, and as an aside, Dolce escapes from the booby hatch and is recaptured by some Gumbas sent by her Mafia-don father. The real plot; however, revolves around the return of a lover, previously deceased, and her engagement to a dot com zillionaire.Meanwhile, Stone hustles the cook, who miraculously lives through the exp ...more
Bill
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective
There are times I do not wish to think too deeply about what I am reading. It's like those TV series, NCIS, Big Bang Theory, Chicago PD... You know the ones, well Stone Barrington novels are just like that. Sit back flow over he words and enjoy the adventure, the whiff of money people, the extravagance, incredible sexual depiction, with just enough investigative work to make it seem plausible. But don't kind yourself if you feel there is any intellect evolved in this series. It's all about fun a ...more
Cybercrone
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Good plotting, lots of action, and for those of you who seem fascinated by the protagonist's love life (if his hit-and-run style can be called that) there are 4 of the women in this one.
I see the joke, vaguely, but it's not really my sense of humour. Unfortunately, I'm kind of hooked now. Tried to jump forward to leave the women behind and get to better stories, but now I have to backtrack and find the book where Stone apparently married Dino's psychotic sister-in-law, the Mafia Princess. Even t
Jeannine
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Once you get past the explicit sexual endeavors of Stone Barrington, which take up at least the first quarter of the book, you actually get down to a pretty decent mystery with interesting characters and humorous dialogue. A few red herrings and some nice plot twists although there is a really contrived scene in the end that makes me think the author was tired and needed to tie up a few loose ends quickly.
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sitting on a beach while on vacation, this book was an enjoyable read. I haven't read any of the prior "Stone Barrington" books and wasn't lost in the beginning. My only quibble is the lead character has three beautiful women pining for him and two were richer by far than him. I can suspend disbelief with the best of them but when two of them agree to a threesome, my BS alarm went crazy. The book kept my interest.
Michael
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, crime
I love Stuart Wood's book and this one is among the best I have read thus far. Full of suspense and mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. Stone Barrington is such a unique and intriguing character. His many love interests are hard to keep up with most of the time. Several of them come together in this story. This book will keep your attention.
Richard
Not his best but just about warrants a 4* as his previous books were of high quality. This book regurgitates most of the main characters and a couple from an earlier book. Not many new faces or plots, but still enjoyable and never to be taken too seriously.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Alpine Winter (Emma Lord, #23)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Parallel Lies
  • Wolf, No Wolf (Gabriel Du Pre #3)
  • Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop, #3)
  • Group, Photo, Grave (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #8)
  • Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #5)
  • The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)
  • Third Strike (Brady Coyne/J.W. Jackson #3)
  • Wild Mustang Man
  • The Fury (Henry Parker #4)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • Heartstone
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • Red Means Run (Virgil Cain Mysteries #1)
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10; Holly Barker, #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
“a fingerprint on a bar glass or something, I could run that. Otherwise, I’ll need a lot more time to nail him down.” “I’ll have a shot at it,” Stone” 0 likes