Start by marking “A Few Fair Days” as Want to Read:
A Few Fair Days

A Few Fair Days

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Recounts the experiences of a little girl growing up in a seaside town in Yorkshire during the years between the two world wars.
Published (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about A Few Fair Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Few Fair Days

Book Concierge
Lucy is a young girl living in a small, seaside town in Yorkshire, in the years between the wars. She has a best friend, Mary, who joins her on various adventures, though they are sometimes accompanied by Lucy’s little brother, Jake. And she has many aunts to alternately indulge, entertain and scold her.

This is a charming collection of stories about childhood, and reminds this reader of our greatest and most valuable plaything – imagination. I loved how they played pirates, explored the abandon
Wendy
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally delightful, full of scones and buns and abandoned estates and maiden aunts and boarders, with plots that are like Elizabeth Enright or LM Montgomery.
Joan Rabe
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I particularly liked it that there seem to be no stereotypes in this book. Every person is an individual and it’s interesting to see how each story plays out.
Sara Lou
I've had this book so many years, I forget when I first read it.

It compiles a group of short stories all based on a little girl and her life growing up in a little seaside town surrounded by loving parents, numerous aunts.

A lacksidasical nostalgic feel runs through the book with each story, and it's prefect for a bit of light reading. I pick this book off the shelf possibly once or twice a year just sit relax and enjoy.

It's perfect for all ages, young and old will be enchanted by simple tales o
Emily
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-childhood
These vignettes of a child's life on the Yorkshore coast were a little too self-consciously opaque for my taste, but they're vivid (that ship on the sands...) and I expect they'll reward rereading. The book's description here on goodreads states that it's set between the wars -- had I not seen that, I would have guessed Edwardian. There's something very late-Victorian about the plethora of maiden aunts (too many to keep straight) and their carefully ordered homes. And there was nothing in any of ...more
Hirondelle
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Totally charming short stories in a slightly surreal voice.
scarlettraces
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gardam's first book. she was clearly a master of her craft from the beginning. simple and perfect and although technically a children's book, it's really for all ages.
Joanne
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to reading these evocative stories to my grandkids.
Kristin
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is Gardam's first published book, a story about a young girl on the coast of England. Great character study and slice of life.
Jane Mccullam
Oct 14, 2012
Molly
Sep 12, 2016
Play Book Tag: A Few Fair Days / Jane Gardam - 4**** 3 13 Oct 25, 2016 01:36PM
Jane Mary Gardam OBE is a British author of children's and adult fiction. She also reviews for the Spectator and the Telegraph, and writes for BBC radio. She lives in Kent, Wimbledon and Yorkshire. She has won numerous literary awards including the Whitbread Award, twice. She is mother of Tim Gardam, Principal of St Anne's College, Oxford. Jane has been awarded the Heywood Hill Literary Prize for ...more